Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I enjoyed Yuppie Psycho but it felt like they didn't really know what to do with the overall plot and I think got kinda unfocused towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tried out Desolate with a friend since I saw it in that horror humble bundle. Really weird game, has some nice atmosphere but the actual gameplay itself is too actiony to be really be horror-y to me. Also it has some of the lamest jumpscares I've ever seen and have no idea why they're even there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish there was more randomization for certain things. Especially the side objectives. Like those give the same result no matter what so after you do the side objective for the mermaid one for example, and see that its a punishment that just gives you -2 sanity, youll never ever do it again. Its dumb.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

wtf. Rule of rose is great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The sound stuff alone has done so much work into making the game so much spookier.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

goferchan posted:

Inscryption demo is out, too -- it's the horror card game from the creator of Pony Island and The Hex that you may have seen the trailer for this summer. Full release October 19th. I've been in the beta for a while now and I'm really impressed with everything I've seen. The demo is just the first 30 minutes or so of the game, it shouldn't spoil anything later on.

Just completed it. Really loving good, can't wait for the full release. One question though. Are you able to do anything with the ring in the demo? I opened the clock I guess by accident (was just messing with the hands and got the right time lol) I saw it on my character's hand but didn't see any option to interact with it before beating the boss.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

goferchan posted:

Inscryption is out. It's never exactly horrifying but it's consistently creepy with a lot of fun, disturbing subtext to the story. Strong recommend for your Halloween gaming vibes.

I beat this just now and it is probably one of my favorite games of recent memory. Absolutely masterfully done and I hope it sells super well. Guy absolutely deserves it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's an insane amount of secret stuff people are finding in Inscryption, too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DnUjnnScEjTR9Ne0fGJQDyhWP6dbZIIlEakzhukOdSs/preview?pru=AAABfMkENcU*-TXI9WkYpYp5RH_5E0SWJw

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They wanna gently caress the robot animals..This is what youtube does to children.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm watching the new reboot resident evil movie now and it's both very faithful and terrible

Is it bad but enjoyable in the way the other live action ones were, or just, not good even on that level.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

dogstile posted:

The resident evil films are terrible in a way that will always let me watch them and laugh. They know what they're doing.

The scene in the Final Chapter where the chick tells Wesker "you're fired" and then the door shuts on his leg and chops it off and he's left on the ground dying was some of the funniest poo poo I ever saw.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Playing Silent Hill 3 for the first time, just beat the first boss. Game is good so far (shocker). Is jerky worth using or is it kind of a trap item? So far it seems like its easy to just avoid most monsters, the bullet proof vest seems bad too.

It's also crazy how good this game looks, mid to latePS2 really was the best.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also so far my only deaths have been falling off the ledge trying to climb down the ladder leading to the first boss twice lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

If people like a thing they'll generally overlook the faults of one/ones who made it.

It was kind of morbidly funny when the news broke (a second time) that he was an insane trump guy, seeing all the people with trans flag, BLM, etc in their headers rushing to defend Scott as "he doesn't know any better/let people have different opinions!!" Like geeze, he directly supports policies and people who want you dead!!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm digging the new World of Horror update but I really hate the tedium and RNG nature of unlocking new characters or features.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Spoiler for the first post-prologue act of Omori

I love the fact that you get in a fight in the real world and the game goes "holy poo poo dude did you just stab that person, all she did was headbutt you"

Its one of my favorite moments in the game tbh. really good at making you not even think twice about hitting that attack button before realizing what you actually did

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

they’re talking about fillerfillerfiller Returnal fillerfillerfiller

and yes I am powerfully irate at that game’s story as well, not in the least because the twist was completely unnecessary to how the game had been presented up to that point

Same. I was so ridiculously let down by this, everything up until that point was super interesting and I was left wondering what exactly the final plot drop would be and then..It's that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I watched a streamer (Tomato) play a few hours of In Sound Mind a few months ago, and it looked cool. He never played more of it though because people told him it got really bad after where he was or something. Was a bummer!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I have no idea. He didn't go into specifics, I asked in chat if he was going to play more and he just said that people told him it "gets bad" so he's not going to bother. Not saying it's true or anything, but that was what happened.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Well that's dumb as hell.

It was really a bummer too since he was like..Enjoying it, he even said at one point "you know I actually am invested in the story of a game when I stop talking to read the lore notes" But I'll definitely take the opportunity to play it myself, he only got past the uh..Lighthouse part which I dunno how far in that actually is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My one issue with Ghostwire so far is that the Tengu are so loving loud I hate it, their squawking really gets on my nerves and ruins alot of the atmosphere of some areas.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was cute how you could find a recreation of The Room as an easter egg in Downpour. That and the hanging corpse that changes to a tire swing (I think? been forever) whenever you move the camera away or back were neat imo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I always feel like there's a disconnect when people bring up that stuff in good faith where they think advocates for Content Warnings want the game to open up with a list that says specifically what every possible PTSD inducing scene is in exact terms, or that they're talking about things that just make them feel bad. That behavior might have been more common in the early to mid 10s Tumblr generation but it's basically died out entirely. (thank god) A game having a disclaimer that "hey this game deals with sexual assault/suicide/etc" doesn't hurt anyone or take away anything from the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I love House Of The Dead and was super bummed when the local arcade took out their 3 and 4 machines. That special version of 4 that only exist(s)(ed?) in Vegas and like 2 other places where it's more like a "ride" or whatever is my white whale and I am sad everytime I think about it since I'll never be able to play it...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Reviews seem to say that the pathing is real messed up and enemies get caught on tables or doors very easily. Probably going to wait for some patches but it looks great otherwise.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I watched a streamer play it and it seems neat but also really buggy. He had to reload twice because an event broke and wouldn't let him interact with the corpse at all, and since there's no real saving it kinda just arbitrarily put him back a certain amount.

The timer seems kind of fake though, not sure what the actual mechanics were for it. The first run he was mostly messing around and it took a very very long time for his scribbles to change, and on his second run he was pretty swift and it progressed extremely fast, wouldn't be surprised if it's actually progress based rather than time.

I will give it points for relying mostly on spooky things in the background for the horror and not screaming jumpscares though.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 7, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Shattered Memories was neat, the chase sequences were just waaaaaay too long, and once you realize that there is nothing that can hurt you when you're not in a chase, it loses a lot of its teeth.

This is true but I did enjoy the one time they went against this. ( I think it's when you first enter the school?) where the solution to the puzzle immediately after the chase sequence requires you to go back outside into danger to solve. Was a good way to instill some dread as you realize you aren't getting a rest just yet.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Was having a trip down memory lane the other day and, did anyone else here play Nightmare Ned as a kid? It was based on some Disney show (that I never saw) but it was honestly a pretty unnerving adventure game that dealt with themes I think most kids could get on some level (fear of doctors, anxiety about school, death of a grandparent, etc)

It's obviously pretty cartoony and not like mega scary but it still has things I distinctly remember even 20+ years later creeping me out. Good production values for the time too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

YES. That's one of those "I feel like I played it in a dream" games because it left no mark on anything but I loved it as a kid. The mix of physical objects and drawing was a good look, and it was creepy and gross without being too outright scary for a kid. It was also hard as poo poo at times, with your yoyo attack being just barely longer than the enemy's range, and there are a lot of fast movement areas.

It was pretty brutal too, Ned gets the poo poo kicked out of him by all the monsters.

The school level was good for variety but I think the one everyone remembers most is the medical/dental level.

Yeah the art mixing was one of the parts I remember so distinctly. Loved the creepy photorealistic fish head on one of the animals in the mansion level, or the stop motion boss fights in the school level.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah everything he makes is great. Really fond of Growing My Grandpa.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

the latter of which is being written by the higurashi/umineko guy

I guess that's why Ciconia is never being finished lol.

Hype as hell just because of this tho.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I have issues but not that one. Every time an area loads in (so, either the lobby or a new haunt) I need to go into audio settings, turn off 'always on', then turn it back on.

This poo poo was happening to me and driving me insane. I personally fixed it by disabling my VR audio device (even though I wasn't using it) and it fixed it. Dunno if you have an oculus or whatever plugged in but it could be that like it was for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the PC port is a disaster. Unless they fixed it up in any fashion over the years it still shows generic "1 2 3 4" controller buttons for everything even when using m/kb, crashes abound and terrible audio glitches.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like World Of Horror would have been better if it wasn't so rigid. I know it's meant to be like a board game in that sense where everything is pretty set in stone just which events you get are random but some more variance would be nice. Like once you do the optional objective for some of the cases, and see that for some they're just straight up negatives (I think the mermaid one is just -2 sanity and doesn't have any bearing on the endings?) then you have zero reason to EVER try for it ever again which is just..goofy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh and before I forget, the other problem I have with World of Horror is the combat is not very interesting. There's a bunch of options you can do but I honestly feel like there's no reason not to just prepare - > attack over and over. I know you can kill spirit enemies with a specific clap bow combo but you have to trial and error that every run or whatever which doesn't seem worth the resource drain.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I was talking to some friends last night about this dev and one of them described his games in probably the most accurate way possible.

Like, pretty much every game this dev makes is about horrors imposed on the working class by the rich in the form of the supernatural manifestation of the fear of immigrants, a demon summoned and sicced on a hospital by a rich dude because he had to pay a little more in taxes this year than before, a house haunted by a rich rear end in a top hat who hates miscegenation so much he kills his son's lover for being a different race from his son and now the movers have to put up with his ghost racism while they pack up all the stuff there, or a small shipping company incurring the wrath of Sekhmet and Thoth for unknowingly transporting some relics for some rich archaeologist thieves and the new security guard, fresh from losing her job as tech support for a hardware manufacturer that cut corners and ended up using poor materials that made their computer parts volatile and prone to catching fire, has to go find the relics that even the Egyptian gods admit they don't particularly care for, it's just the principle of the thing and they want an excuse to go to war with humanity. And the games have genuinely happy endings if you play them right, which itself is rare for horror games nowadays. No ending stinger of "and then they died anyway" or whatever.

But the games all look like this.

https://i.imgur.com/A9Eaz0N.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/y1hdSuJ.mp4

What the gently caress

He absolutely loves to jack off to overworked fat middle aged women. Very specific fetish but well, glad he made his dreams reality.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Goosebumps Horrorland adventure game was sick as hell..I'm sure it's not remotely scary at all but when I was a little kid it had parts that made me so anxious I had a hard time getting through it. Like when the mummy chases you through a vent or there was some like optional area I refused to ever go to (I think it was like the sewers? or something) where you could get extra stuff but were chased in a maze by a monster the whole time.

e: This loving thing

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 2, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saw Eternal Evil came out of early access. I know some people were positive on it a few months ago, has anyone else dived in? Still worth it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They treat dismemberment alot more seriously in ratings. I only know this because in Dragonball Z a character loses their arm but in basically all games that include this character just have him with a bum one instead so they don't get hosed by ratings. And also why like your hand doesn't get chopped off in JP RE8.

So I'm guessing it has to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Will always crack up at the medieval knight zombies and like ancient ruins underneath some church in north america for some reason in Leon's campaign.