Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah sorry, that Caffene game looks like it's just a bunch of spooky shadow people and jump scares. Boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Darkwood, it's in Early Access but I haven't been this unsettled in a game since I played the first Silent Hill.
Clicky

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

StarkRavingMad posted:

Can you, or anyone else who has given this a go, expand a little more on the gameplay and why it is unsettling? I thought about picking this one up, but from the description kind of wrote it off as like a top-down State of Decay. If it's actually good I might grab it, early access or not (I've been enjoying The Forest, even in it's half-finished state).

I've been thinking about how to describe Darkwood in a way that makes sense, without totally spoiling it. It seems like it occupies a land somewhere between Silent Hill and STALKER, with really cool hand-drawn art and great sound design. Add a heaping scoop of Carpenter's version of The Thing, a whole bunch of Unreliable Narrator, and some really creepy "friendly" npcs and you have some idea what this game is. I thought it was some sort of "Slender-like" but it's actually way more interesting. It is definitely a survival horror game though, running away from things and not going out at night should go without saying.
I like it a lot.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You are welcome, enjoy the creepy adventure!
If you told me Ice Pick Lodge made Darkwood I would not have been surprised.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 6, 2014

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

What also helps is the field of view you have. While the basic details of the world can be seen at all times you need to actually look in a direction to see what is really happening. For instance you can see something pushing your barricades around but without looking directly you have no idea what is causing it. Same for things like characters and dead bodies; a room can look perfectly safe and clean until you get in there.

The session I had the other day only lasted one day, if you don't find wood and nails to barricade your cabin you are probably pretty hosed. I had this jerk with black spiky tendrils instead of a face break in and beat me to death with a pipe. Ahhhhhhhh time to take a break.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

Ha, yeah it can be unforgiving as hell. Note that it appears they do work with sight themselves. It's possible to survive in a closed room without barricades if you stay away from the windows. It's not a guarantee but they can choose to simply not explore a building if they don't know you're there.

Ohhhh fuuuck I had a flare going, that's why the rear end in a top hat with the pipe found me! Hahahahah niiice Darkwoods, you win this round!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

Alan Wake stuff.
As far as I know, American Nightmare is the sequel to Alan Wake.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Niggurath posted:

I'm pretty much hot garbage, but I was mostly informative and straight: http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill-Downpour/

Hey now, I like your LPs. I'm following your Fatal Frame one, Zero right? I thought Downpour was a good game, just a lovely Silent Hill game same as SH4.
Downpour would have been a brilliant Suffering game, what with all the prison stuff. Also, SH4 has one of my favorite vidya game songs ever, it's do goddamn bleak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXCsXcs6nA

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nahh if they add a shotgun to PT you know exactly what it's for.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I would give the animated movies a pass, Degeneration was loving awful even for a Resident Evil movie. Seriously, just play the games, they all have better plots, even Zero.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You shoukd be playing Penumbra 1&2 instead of Amnesia in my opinion.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

That's the mission I'm about to do!

I got so freaked out by the Skulls I ended up booking it as fast as possible to get the gently caress outta there, I didnt stop until I was safely onboard my heli. I reeeealy don't like the Skulls, I think they can "smell" Big Boss as they seem to know where you are at all times.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I actually like Simon, he's pretty chipper considering his situation. I'm not super far, but I haven't felt threatened by the spooky monsters yet, I did get lost in the one section though. I am finding Harshly Critical's play through pretty annoying since he has this weird need to read everything out loud and jump to really silly conclusions. I chuckled when he found a compressed nail gun and was confused by it. To be honest, he kinda sucks at adventure games.
Overall, I liked Penumbra more but Soma is pretty fun and not hard at all.
Anyone playing Soma needs to watch the live action shorts, they actually give you some information that may become relevant at some point.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 24, 2015

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah for the most part, picking up and examining the random stuff was a novel thing in Penumbra but it felt kind of pointless to me in Soma.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

1stGear posted:

Pretty sure that woman is slightly insane because she also did this video which is horrifying in its own way.

Watch to the very end.

Why is an artist making commentary about art horrifying?
I thought it was a brilliant piece.
If you want something to make you feel really bad, here ya go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSER3yml1iM

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No it's loving terrible garbage that should be avoided.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

Outbreak was a really cool idea that would've been great if it had come out later, when multiplayer gaming was easier.

Outbreak would work better if it had actual voice chat instead of that loving terrible system they had.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty sure our pal Ethan either works for Umbrella given the time of the ending, or is now being a shiny new BOW test subject given the end credits start with a weird hallway/door scene it would explain why he isn't really scared of anything. And yes, gently caress idiot Steve right in his stupid face.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Edgelord is probably appropriate, but Im confused anyone would think True Detective was anything other than some variety of noir.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I played D2 start to finish, and I still have no loving clue what the hell was going on in that game aside from shooting rear end in a top hat plant hentai monsters.
The ending boss was one of the weirdest things ever possibly.
I want a horror game where you play as a giant spider, that would be pretty cool.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

I think there's Lobotomy Inc or something around there in early access. It's not dissimilar to what you're penciling our.

Isn't Plague Inc basically this?
I mean you're playing more as a disease but it's basically what he's describing more or less.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can say that the final boss of D2 is nothing you are prepared for.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
drat that makes me sad, I was hoping Distrust was going to be a good game.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think the devs working on Scorn understand visual design miles better than the team working on Agony. Scorn is weird fleshy biotech true, but they give you areas to "rest" visually between all the weirdness. Agony is just busy and hard to look at for more than a few minutes. The guns in Scorn make me physically uncomfortable, the sound alone is pretty well done squishy crunch noises. Blergh.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I thought Fullbright nailed the ambiance of nosing through a house when nobody was home pretty dead-on, theres nothing spooky at all it's just an empty house.
The second game they made, Tacoma, is yet more walkin and nosing through peoples' stuff.
It's like when people thought Firewatch was a horror game.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
An Eternal Darkness sequel done on a current game engine would be pretty great.
Especially with creepy binaural whispers.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just play the original Secret World, the reboot is total garbage and unfinished anyway.
In short, gently caress Funcom.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I want Soul Reaver to come back so I can get more of... whatever genre of music this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNWSDvDqm9g

That's a song by Information Society off of the album "Don't Be Afraid", it falls into the goth-industrial music area.
Another track off the same album: https://youtu.be/cWO8nRaDjMk

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Re Remothered: And just like Alien Isolation, the main antagonist is also not wearing pants.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man I thought Outlast was pretty poo poo when it came out, that crap about Outlast 2 makes me glad I never bothered. I watched a play through of the new Five Night game, I'm actually impressed he managed to keep a similar formula but change it up enough that it's not actually stale. Dudes pretty drat clever, oh and the audio work is pretty great.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you haven't gotten to the final boss of End of Zoe, it's loving magical. Man they did good with RE7 overall.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I bet Capcom is going to make all their new RE games with the new engine going forward, and I am very okay with that.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nobody ever said it was going to be a scary machine, it's for pigs after all.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Im actually sad Evolve got done raw the way it did, the monster designs were cool and the gameplay was actually pretty unique.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there's a boardgame that does this, Arkham Horror or something similar, and it works pretty well - also there are various possible threats and you don't know which one it's going to turn out to be, so you can't really plan ahead

Arkham Horror is great, they managed to really nail the feel of hopeless odds and you really dont want to get attached to your investigator because they are most certainly going to die horribly. The only real down points to the game are its loving gigantic, like take up an entire dining table huge, and a game can take up to 6 hours easily.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There is Elder Signs Omens on mobile that uses basically the same system, but on a much smaller board.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man I played the demo, looks like they pit a lot of work into Outer Wilds, nice.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wouldn't call the Outer Wilds a horror game, maybe slightly spooky space adventure.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man thats guy shouldn't do VA work, he's really bad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh hell yes it was, pretty gross one too.