Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
That game looks really bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I don't know why but I always found shittier looking games like King's Field or things trying to be more retro looking creepier than attempts at realism/really high end graphics we have in more modern games (though it doesn't help that I can't think of a single good horror game in years). It's probably because it gives everything an otherwordly feel and causes you to imagine how things "actually" look.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Doom 3's hell is far less nightmarish and atmospheric than the hell in the original games.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I think FEAR's major issue is the major issue with most "horror games" in that it's mostly jump scares. One of most effective scenes in any of the games (someone else will have to remember which one) is when you keep exiting a room only to reenter it with most chairs appears until they're bolted to the walls and ceiling and poo poo.

I think you can earn a jump scare (the one from Bioshock Infinite might be one of the best ever) but when it's the main source of "horror" in your game I think it's a major failure. I just love the sense of dread and foreboding a good horror game can elicit, and it's so rare nowadays. You'd think with all these indie horror games coming out someone would make some genuinely frightening or disturbing but I keep being disappointed time and time again. This isn't something confined to horror video games, most horror movies have the same problems.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Valve is so good with storytelling I wish they could spend a little less time on Dota.

The only way Valve could spend less time on Dota 2 is if they had nobody working on it.

Also, the first Half-Life is a better game and scarier/more atmospheric than the sequel.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

NeoSeeker posted:

Seriously go play black mesa source. Kind of a clear demonstration that when you put half life on half life 2's level, they just cannot compare at all.

Black Mesa Source just made me want to play the original game again.

And you are right, of course, but not in the way you meant.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I didn't know anyone hated Xen until I was 27 (Half-Life came out when I was 13).

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Brackhar posted:

I didn't know anyone liked Xen until now.

Not too surprising coming from a Riot dev to be fair.

NeoSeeker posted:

Dead Space does this infinately better than half life 2. There is no real objective looming in the horizon. You're inside the objective, trapped. The only thing you know is that you need to get the gently caress out of there.

You say HL2 does it better than the first yet Half-Life is a closed circle like Dead Space (which is why HL is a better horror game than the sequel). Before you get to the Citadel you could theoretically go wherever and escape into the hinterlands.

I won't argue Xen is as tightly designed as the Black Mesa areas but the atmosphere and look are top notch.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 3, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

NeoSeeker posted:

In half life the goal never really seemed like "I NEED TO GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE". It seemed more like cleaning up a giant loving mess. I also never got the feeling gordon was trapped.

No, the idea of the game is to get out (you keep trying to get to the surface, after all) - there's no reason to think a nuclear physicist is going to clear out an alien invasion. That's why it's a bit of a twist when the Marines come in because you think you're saved but they're there to make sure nobody escapes.

But you are right, I much prefer enclosed, unknowing horror to the direction the series went in.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 4, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I think anyone reacting to something in a video game with anything more than a gasp is phony as hell.

It's cool how every indie horror game is a first person "exploration" game where you collect keys or pages and poo poo jumps out of nowhere at you so pewdiepie can scream at it. That didn't get old after the first game.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I've never screamed from anything shocking/scary in a movie or video game so it's bizarre to me that anyone would (and why I just think all those scarecam videos are put on as hell). I mean if something pops out of nowhere I'll probably jump but that's about it.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I kinda forgot Resident Evil 6 existed, isn't it terrible?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Ularg posted:

Does Amnesia: The Dark Decent have controller support on PC?

This is the scariest bit in this entire thread.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
There are maybe five legitimately scary horror games in history so you're safe suggesting most any.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
No, it's just that type of game is played out and boring by this point. The setting is overdone, and it comes off like a bigger budget/better looking version of the type of indie games that pewdiepie et al love to stream.

And then the last bit gets stupid as hell. For me the issue is the whole "oh no run away" "oh no thing jumps out at me" kind of horror doesn't do anything for me.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

al-azad posted:

I never heard anything disparaging about Outlast until this thread as well, I always figured it was well regarded. Now that one game that came out a few months ago that has randomized levels, the same camera mechanic, is 90 minutes long, and has an annoying voice taunting you quoting Pink Floyd the whole way through that is when things start getting redundant. Outlast had come out at the height of the "walk around, spooky stuff happens" genre and it surpasses all of them except Amnesia including the Machine for Pigs sequel.

The problem with that genre is Amnesia is the only good entry. It also has more gameplay to it (same with the Penumbra games).

Ularg posted:

I really want a first person exploration game based on SCP-093. No jump scares or monsters to kill you, just surreal environments.

This is something I want and I'd be a lot more scared than mental patients or ghosts chasing me.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Ularg posted:

I respect the guy/guys making the SCP containment breach game. They seem to really like the content, but man SCP-093 is leagues above the rest of the articles on that site. I could picture every inch of the environments as I read the reports.

Also aren't the Amnesia guys working on a new horror game that has like a H.R. Grieger style of horror?

The only bad part about SCP-093 is when they explain everything at the end but that's true of a lot of good mysterious things.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Oxxidation posted:

Dead Space was sense-overloading mediocrity and about as scary as a rock concert, mic drop.

I never liked that series (and I only played the first two, before it really had a chance to suck). Combat was decent, but the sets were bland, the sound design horrible, and the resource management kind of became a non-issue if you didn't tote all four guns with you, which sucked because it meant limiting your arsenal just so you could have something to shoot with.

I agree Dead Space is never really scary it's pretty much The Thing But Stupid (which is weird because we already had that in The Thing the Video Game).

And just because you kind of "expect" a jump scare doesn't make it not cheesy or dumb. It's really the loud, off-putting sound or scare chord that makes a jump scare such a cheat 99 percent of the time. Bioshock Infinite has one of the genuinely good jump scares I can remember when towards the end when you pull a level, turn around, and a Boy of Silence is standing there and makes its normal reaction sound (which isn't loud or discordant). At least Foxy leans into the room, I don't know how the other giant animatronics are hiding below you to jump up and make loud noises to cause you to involuntarily jump.

The only time I ever jumped when I visited Spooky World years back was when one of the clown girls in some demented hospital circled behind me and just screamed in my ear (because she saw nothing was scaring me). gently caress cheap jump scares.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I mean there are people that like horror and then also love all the Resident Evil movies and the Z-grade stuff Netflix is full of.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

IPlayVideoGames posted:

The premise of someone repeatedly going back to a job with murder robots is as implausible as any other horror movie/game situation, but a good amount of people are really having trouble swallowing it.

This actually isn't true and many horror films and games go out of their way to make the place inescapable in a closed circle environment.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

EmmyOk posted:

The first game is the best in my opinion, they had no cutscenes and everything happened in game which is something I love in games.

It blows my mind that cutscenes are still a thing.

It's weird because The Thing shows you the monster constantly and is gory as hell but no other movie gave me as many sleepless nights as kid.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 20, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
It's constantly compared to every other successful monster movie. The first time you see the shark fully in Jaws is the "You're going to need a bigger boat" which is over an hour into the movie. You only see glimpses of the Alien until towards the end of the film.

The Thing is the only horror movie I can think of that loses none of its effectiveness by showing the monster fully, completely lit, throughout the movie.

EmmyOk posted:

In my opinion what makes The Thing scary isn't the monster itself but the idea that it could be anyone of your friends. Th person you're speaking to could be right now sizing up your delicious fleshy face.

Yeah that is really what got me as a kid. If only horror games had better ideas they could ride.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
It's actually really bad (none of the mechanics worked the way they said they did, transformations were all scripted, being a third person shooter with lock on instead of FPS was a major fuckup, somehow the UFO is there even though it was blown up at the end of the movie) and this very website has a great review of it. I was so hype for that game and holy poo poo was it awful.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Spalec posted:

A multiplayer mode would be sweet too, maybe 8 players trying to achieve some sort of goal but one player is secretly a thing trying to covertly sabotage the team.

This has been an idea I've been stewing on for awhile but I'm poo poo and never get anything done so it'll never happen. Plus it was hard coming up with something for everyone to be doing.

I think the original Thing game coulda been good (I played on the PC) but I'm assuming a lot of the poo poo in there was from the higher ups like most licensed games.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Spalec posted:

You could probably keep the classes the original game had (engineer for fixing/hacking stuff, medic and combat)

I thought you could have non-essential sub-objectives to make you life easier, like hack open the armoury door to get the big guns, but make failure a possibility and if you fail, there's no going back and they're lost for the duration of the game. So if a player does fail the hack, hopefully the other players would be thinking 'Did he just fail because he made a mistake, or did he fail on purpose so we can't get the good weapons :tinfoil: ". Or 'He just blew up the bridge to the next objective, now we have to take the long, dangerous way around...is he just a bad shot with those grenades or is he trying to lead us into a trap?". That kinda scenario would be good for feeding paranoia between teammates.

Obviously friendly fire would always be on, leading to you killing innocent teammates just because you made a mistake. Or if you have limited ammo/health kits, if someone won't give you any ammo because you're out..are they holding out on you because they're the thing?

Stop man I want this game to exist and it never will...

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

ayn rand hand job posted:

Michael Myers shows up pretty clearly though somewhat infrequently in the original Halloween.

That's just a giant manchild in a William Shatner mask though.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Sharzak posted:

When I was in elementary school, we went on a special trip for the ~gifted and talented~ kids to some sort of space camp thing. I don't remember the name of it or what it was for (putting me in there was probably a mistake) but the highlight of my entire elementary school career was this simulation they did--everyone got randomly assigned a job on a loving huge mock spaceship and had to deal with launching successfully, various crises, whatever. I was the Engineer, I remember, and most of my job consisted of putting pegs on a pegboard into a pattern dictated to me by a computer screen. Occasionally I had to go ask people for poo poo or give progress reports or give tasks to other people.

For some probably hosed up reason this experience and The Thing are irrevocably linked in my mind--a totally multiplayer video game where you're part of a team with a clear objective and individualized tasks, but one person has a sinister agenda or is an alien or a Scientologist or whatever would really loving own if done right. The Team wins if they get to outer space or Nirvana or the mall across town or whatever with no hiccups (outing and/or killing the outsider would theoretically be optional) and the Outsider wins if their own agenda is fulfilled. Ideally you'd have several different scenarios with dynamic outsiders not necessarily tied to these--a trip to outer space might be co-opted by a Thing-like Alien, or a member of the team might be a secret religious fundamentalist and want to drive the spacecraft into the sun, stuff like that. You'd also have games where nobody is the bad guy.

Done right, with flickering lights and maintenance tunnels and minigames pertaining to your role that are hard enough without some nefarious fucker trying to ruin everything, this would be a good horror game with insane replay value which is something I think the genre lacks.

At least in My Game Idea That I Will Never Make In Unity But I Wish I Had the Ethic to Make the "thing" (I always called it the infiltrator) would be able to convert other people and their objectives would change (a scenario could be two different things that have to be done/fixed at the same time in the "camp" or level or what have you so you have to split up and the infiltrator could convert whoever came with him). Plus there'd be scenarios where two people are infiltrators so there'd be situations where literally one person is still human and two competing groups of infiltrators wouldn't know and also scenarios where everyone is human.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

This is literally Spacestation 13 though. The problem with it is that it looks and controls like poo poo.

Yeah Space Station 13 is in that genre of "Games That Have Awesome Stories But Are Absolute Garbage to Play" with Dwarf Fortress and EVE Online.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

SirDrone posted:

Clearly Shanter himself on a murder spree

Nobody would suspect him with that mask.

Also, why would they fix what aint broke in Five Nights for the sequel. I thought it was a pretty bad and lame game and almost a perfect example of bad indie horror games but I bet the dude made mad money off it.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

OxMan posted:

Is outlast actually any good? Every bit I've seen of it looks like the entire game is running through identical enviroments ruining away from enemies through the same corridors, finding more batteries then running some more. It's like amnesia, square room connected by hallway speedrun edition. Is there an interesting story? The naked guy in the beginning was the least scariest guy since burping nurses.

It's bad (and the story gets stupider as it goes on) but there are so few good horror games ever let alone nowadays that it can look pretty good in comparison.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
A game from the perspective of someone with schizophrenia would be more horrific than Outlast could ever hope to be.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Clive Barker's Undying is the loving bomb.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

SirDrone posted:

Well Five Nights At Freddy's 2 trailer just came out, man the dev sure works fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPONdZBh6s
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329921390
- Highlights include
- Strange puppet man in drawings popping out of presents and giving children presents
- Drawings of kids dismembering the mascots arms or heads
- No Doors to keep them out now and instead a mask to hide under
- Zombie mascots alongside the new mascots out for your blood
- Former PC now works on a day shift and your the new night shift

Wow little kids singing a nursery rhyme that isn't cliche at all.

Also hosed up in just keeping the same title with a 2 at the end.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Worldwide Panther posted:

Five Nights at Freddy's 2: SIX Nights at Freddy's

That's more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Sad Mammal posted:

Last Of Us is one of the best selling games of its generation, Amnesia does pretty well, Outlast did pretty well, The Metro series does pretty well, Evil Within is doing well, Alien: Isolation is doing well, Five Nights at Freddy's is the new indie darling. Horror's doing just fine.

Most of those aren't very good nor scary so I would disagree with the conclusion.