Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I am a big fan of horror games and scary media in general but apparently my opinions are wrong--my favorite silent hill game is Homecoming and I prefer the REmake to the original.
With that being said the scariest game I've ever played is Dark Souls, at least for the first ten or so hours. More than any other game since Fatal Frame it gave me a feeling of sheer dread while playing and really captured what I love about horror media. It's that gut feeling of "fuuuuck I don't want to go down there oh no I don't want to know what's going to happen next agh" that makes you want to turn off the game or movie or close the book. Once you figure out the flow of the game and get sufficiently well armed (and ruin it for yourself with guides, to an extent, but that's what the game gets for being so loving unfair) that feeling evaporates but that was a drat good horror experience for a while. Am I crazy or did anyone else pick that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
what is pt why on earth do you guys use abbreviations for names in a catchall thread

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Oh well I feel like an idiot.
What do the lights do in Five Nights at Freddy's? I feel like I can see everything, why not just shut the doors when you know the dudes are close?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I always thought a jump scare was something like in that one horror movie that just came out, the really awful one, where they're slowly moving through a spooky messy apartment and creepy children are laughing or whatever in the background and the soundtrack is really tense and then there's a horrific noise but really it's just a dog who was quiet the whole time he was out of frame, for some reason. As in I thought jump scares were by nature actually mundane, not scary things made scary by a loud chord or a long tense tracking shot. If it had been a murderer instead of a harmless chained up dog, it wouldn't have been a jump scare because murderers are scary in and of themselves--the jump is still scary but the really scary thing is that he's a murderer.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The glorious free market that posted the advertisement allowing you to knowingly and willingly trade your time and safety for cash earned by sacred corporations is obviously Jesus because iit is here to lift us above the limitations of the material world . The man leaving fb messages is a Prophet of Christ who was martyred for his works. The messages themselves are the Good News. The animatronic characters represent our choices in life--we can choose to allow them to bring us to God or shut them out. My uncle works for the company,, that invented the game.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I frequently yelp or curse at scary video games when I play alone with no audience to mug for.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Would we all have liked homecoming more if there was a cool rear end art book that explained all the metaphors and poo poo to us so we could talk about how clever it is 15 years later? I'll bet we would have.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm not trying to be snarky the sh2 art book is legit cool as hell and I would love to understand the artists intent for some of the homecoming monsters. I might like the game better if I knew what all the poo poo was supposed to represent, since I didn't have much of a problem with the gameplay.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
When I was in elementary school, we went on a special trip for the ~gifted and talented~ kids to some sort of space camp thing. I don't remember the name of it or what it was for (putting me in there was probably a mistake) but the highlight of my entire elementary school career was this simulation they did--everyone got randomly assigned a job on a loving huge mock spaceship and had to deal with launching successfully, various crises, whatever. I was the Engineer, I remember, and most of my job consisted of putting pegs on a pegboard into a pattern dictated to me by a computer screen. Occasionally I had to go ask people for poo poo or give progress reports or give tasks to other people.

For some probably hosed up reason this experience and The Thing are irrevocably linked in my mind--a totally multiplayer video game where you're part of a team with a clear objective and individualized tasks, but one person has a sinister agenda or is an alien or a Scientologist or whatever would really loving own if done right. The Team wins if they get to outer space or Nirvana or the mall across town or whatever with no hiccups (outing and/or killing the outsider would theoretically be optional) and the Outsider wins if their own agenda is fulfilled. Ideally you'd have several different scenarios with dynamic outsiders not necessarily tied to these--a trip to outer space might be co-opted by a Thing-like Alien, or a member of the team might be a secret religious fundamentalist and want to drive the spacecraft into the sun, stuff like that. You'd also have games where nobody is the bad guy.

Done right, with flickering lights and maintenance tunnels and minigames pertaining to your role that are hard enough without some nefarious fucker trying to ruin everything, this would be a good horror game with insane replay value which is something I think the genre lacks.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yes but it's not as cool as you're making it sound.. It's just an enemy who always knows where you are. That game did loving own insanely hard though. I forgot how scary the Marine campaign was.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Watching Aliens and talking about AVP2 earlier in the thread has got me reminiscing about how it was basically the perfect game in terms of horror. The Marine singleplayer campaign was terrifying and it even managed to have scary multiplayer. There was a map mode called Evac where there were two teams--usually Marines and Aliens. The Marines had to get to an evac point on the map and the Aliens had to stop them. A few things made this really cool--the Aliens got unlimited lives but were on a pretty long respawn timer and started in random locations whereas the Marines got a fixed number of lives but respawned instantly all in the same spot and generally had an easier job to do. This served to make the game very, very scary--you'd start out with a squad of five other Marines slowly creeping through the map picking off Aliens one at a time until they got lucky and snagged a straggler or grouped up. Marines got exponentially more powerful in groups due to their firepower and were very vulnerable alone because of how slow they were so respawning and trying to catch up to the group was a really tense experience. Eventually the squad would totally deteriorate and it would devolve into every man for himself making a mad dash for the evac point, where you had to survive for a moment while an announcement made the Aliens aware that you were about to win. Being the last man standing waiting for a small army of slavering Aliens to burst into the drop zone, keeping your head on a swivel trying to make sure nothing could sneak up on you is among the scariest moments I've ever had in any entertainment medium.

God that game owned so hard. Well balanced (on servers that took certain weapons out) 3-way asymmetrical multiplayer like that has never been done since as far as I know, and you certainly don't see FPS campaign modes like that anymore. You had ten or so hours each of the Marine, basically a survival horror experience, the Alien, the typical survival horror experience but backward, and the Predator which was essentially a spaghetti Western revenge drama but with wristblades and dreadlocks instead of six-shooters and ten-gallon hats.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm real irritated The Void and Knock-Knock aren't included in the spooky sale. I already own Knock-Knock but more people need to play it and I wanted to get my hands on the Void.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

hanales posted:

I'll have to wait for harshlycritical or someone else less cheesy. Besides his camera taking up a giant portion of the screen, his over acting, poorly applied makeup and horrid facial expressions just irk me to no end. I didn't make it through the phone call.

Yeah if someone wants to post about what the new mechanics are like and why people are freaking out upthread that would be cool, I have no patience for video walk-throughs.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
that's a little bit like saying hostel isn't about the gore it's about the knives and chainsaws

the first saw movie was really awesome tho

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I haven't picked up the last of us since that bit in the hotel basement where you turn on a generator and an army of scary spooky skeletons or something suddenly shows up. I hate that poo poo lots.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

weekly font posted:

http://io9.com/nightmare-video-game-turns-your-house-into-a-horror-mov-1701072844

I don't know how viable this could actually be but it sounds really cool if it gets funded.

I must be missing something here. Is there an actual game to this or does it just overlay ghosts on what you point your camera at?

Edit: after reading the article the article was about it kind of makes more sense. Apparently there's a girl to save.
I can't fathom this being actually scary.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 30, 2015

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
How come people hate homecoming so much? That's the one that brought me back to the series and I remember it being pretty alright until I went online and read that it was bad.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
What was the name of the game that had a really insanely HD trailer where you woke up in a modern house with a big loving mess, like pizza boxes and beer cans all over the place, and there were spooky noises ? It was first person and I think the character picked up a knife at some point? I saw the link in this thread, I hope someone knows what I'm talking about.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

CharlestonJew posted:

Allison Road?

Yep! Thanks

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
A video got posted in here not too long ago of a dude walking through his house in Japan that had been flooded, every left turn he said this is the longest hallway in my house and it was creepy as heck. I can't find it for the life of me, anyone remember?

Edits--found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 8, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
We need outlast in VR very badly

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Stupid bad edge lord poo poo like true detective imo

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Hey I haven't seen anyone talk about it here but Friday the 13th is one of my favorite games ever. There's a pretty active thread for it but it's kinda bad. I'd definitely call it a horror game even though it's all multi-player.
The other night I was escaping with a friendly counselor in the car by driving along a foggy dirt road. Jason appeared out of nowhere and ripped my friend out of the passenger seat and smashed the car--the sheer panic of trying to start the car back up while watching the guy who was just in my passenger seat have a tree shoved through his face trumps anything I've ever experienced in horror before and the entire game is moments like this.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 29, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yeah that 40 dollar price tag was a huge turnoff but I don't regret it one bit.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
FT13 feels much more like an interactive horror movie than dead by daylight which is more of an asymmetrical team game. FT13 is random enough and hides enough of its mechanics that every game unfolds organically.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
FT13 would probably be ruined if you looked up a bunch of maps and memorized all the spawns yeah. I just queue up for games and play them because they're fun, I don't try to optimize my interactive horror movie, and I enjoy it a lot more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
It's October l! I have a switch and a ps4 and a pc and I'm trying to get hosed up scared what's the best spooky