Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Glad DuskGolem finally gets to feel vindicated. Took poo poo for years for his leaks being called fake, but naw just an excitable dude who loves horror and attention while knowing certain people.

Finally some more Silent Hill! I've enjoyed something about every game so I'm psyched.

Yeah that was my first thought too. Their commitment to all this during what I assume has been 2-3 years of relentless trolling is impressive.

My second thought was of course that I hope the games themselves are all worth it and that we're not getting SH Kart or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ineffiable posted:

Man scorn really did just come and go without making much of a splash huh.

I get it though, horror tends to be niche in general then the combat is not the greatest and the puzzles are gonna be frustrating for most people. Just funny that there is very little discussion (and the subreddit has barely over 3,000 users) for something that's available on gamepass.

I dunno, it seems to have dominated a lot of discourse and discussion within the communities I follow this weekend. Then again those are a lot of horror focused communities, and I suppose a weekend curiosity ticks the box with how a lot of folks will interact with GamePass.

I think it'll keep appearing in screenshot and art focused discussion, but it seems limited for any further long term analysis or chit chat beyond that. I expect this weeks Silent Hill announcements to bury it fairly swiftly too.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

We got our last Silent Hill game 10 years ago. The last one Team Silent worked on was 18 years ago and the most highly regarded game in the series released 21 years ago. The most interesting thing we've seen of the series since was a first person proof of concept demo - by Hideo Kojima of all people - for a game that ended up being cancelled, and itself is no longer accessible.

At this point I'm really not clinging onto what Silent Hill *is*. I'm excited at the prospect of more horror games and that this series specifically isn't just a rotting corpse in Konami's basement of dead IP.

My realistic positive outlook is that we just get more Silent Hill games on Steam and that at least 1 of the new games and remakes turns out pretty good. I think that would be great in all honesty.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Isn't there some weirdness about Homecoming being the only SH game not to release in Japan, and thus they just don't give a poo poo about it or acknowledge it in any way?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I don’t know why I do this to myself but, I’m in. I’m ready to be excited and like what they’re doing here. Just give me some Steam pages to wishlist and I’m in.

I get that Bloober is a big “ehhh” on the SH2 remake but I’m rooting for them to do it. I don’t see the point in continuously dunking on something that I desperately hope turns out well.

Wanderer posted:

For what it's worth, next week's Signalis might be the most Silent Hill 2 game I've played in years, at least in terms of sheer surreality.

My piece on it went up on Bloody Disgusting yesterday and I'll have a review for it on there next week.

Real talk, I’ve literally never heard of this game until your post but have now wishlisted it based entirely on this. I hope you’re getting a cut of the marketing budget.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Wishlisted.

At least for now, it feels loving good to see a Steam listing for Silent Hill 2. Now let’s see how it turns out. Strapping myself in.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Capcom are never going to put RE on ice the way Konami did with Silent Hill, so I think you just have to accept that the quality and focus of what they’re doing is going to be super variable. Coming off a stretch of releases like 7, RE2:R and Village and ending up with REverse is entirely on brand.

I want to see an alternative world where fans are clamouring for a Resident Evil comeback that’s been absent since Code Veronica, to save us from the endless Silent Hill 2 ports and weird “100 James Sunderland’s drive to a haunted town” battle royale spin offs.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

RE3 Remake occupies a weird space where I think it's a fine game, but not a good remake. It might actually be the best playing RE ever made, arguably the best action game in the series, but it's a bad remake of the original. Also, wow is it short. My total playtime on Steam is about 13 hours and I think I finished it at least 4 times.

Looks gorgeous though.

I know there's some mention of remaking Code Veronica, but I think we might be approaching them taking a crack at remaking RE1 again in the current engine and style. They need to tread carefully with that. I still think REmake holds up and remains the best example of how to do a remake in the entire industry - although I am curious to see it from an over the shoulder perspective and looking as good as the RE Engine would allow.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Holy poo poo, this looks terrifying.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2193600/Paranormal_Tales/

https://twitter.com/dontplaypt/status/1584944714826256385?s=46&t=QVC-m0N5-gapqcRVwBp_TQ

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Playing Pathologic 2 at the moment.

Incredible game. The spookiness and mystery of the town is incredible, and I love how weird and opaque the characters and structure of the game are.

I am struggling a little with the hunger mechanic though. I've reached Day 3 and basically burned through all my resources. I've done some light reading and it seems like always buying foods from vendors rather than bartering, looting or engaging with the towns deeper economy is about the worst possible thing I could have done, so I might re-start.

It's an intense game though and it's taken me the best part of 10 hours to reach this point, so I could maybe do with a break before re-starting. The release of SIGNALIS might be the best incentive to take a break, as that looks exceptional.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah you really should not be spending money if you can. The Before I Play for this might be helpful

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Pathologic_2

Tha being said, Pathologic is very much a game about being constantly broke and starving so yeah you're more or less living the intended goal, even if it's suboptimal.

Some great tips there, thanks.

I feel that Pathologic 2 is an intentionally miserable experience by design, and there's no getting away from that or the intensity of its resource management. However if you ignore all the ways that design is actually, well, designed to be balanced in the right way - as I have - then by Day 3 it just feels like firefighting a status bar. There's a thin line between struggling for resources on the games terms, and struggling for resources because you've not met the game half way or interacted with it properly for multiple hours. The latter is where I'm at.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Take it we've all seen the IGN readers poll of the greatest horror games of all time?

Appreciate there's some red flags here, mostly the words "IGN", "Readers" and "Poll", but the results are hilarious even within that context.

The top 10 is formed from a total of 3 different IP's..

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

RE2 is on there twice lmao

Particularly enjoyed BioShock being on there at 13.

System Shock 2, which I do think has legitimate horror chops, is like 60-something.

Told myself I wouldn’t get mad about this sort of poo poo but here we are. God dammit.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think I'm the one person on earth who thinks the length of Alien Isolation is completely fine. The back half of the game certainly has some memorable moments and I think the game actually does a decent job of mixing up the encounter design. Despite being twice (if not thrice) as long as some of the other chase/being stalked games out there, I don't find Isolation as breathless or stressful.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's good Isolation is 25 hours long because were never getting another

Also, this. If Isolation is comparable to the movies in any way whatsoever, it's that we're never getting anything as good as something based off the first one ever again.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

veni veni veni posted:

For the most part I don't think it's poorly paced or anything and I like most of the stuff people tend to complain about like fighting androids, which I think breaks up the monotony of constant hide and seek.

Also, the synthetics might actually be scarier than the Xeno. They're a legit horror gaming nightmare in their own right.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Hakkesshu posted:

I've only played a little bit of Alien Isolation, but I keep hearing it's frustrating because there's no real logic to the way the alien works and it will always catch you if you hide? So you just gotta run whenever it's not close, and also crouching is completely useless? I don't know, I should get around to playing it, but that sort of stuff just scares me away.

I.. don't think that's true. Running is just about one of the worst things you can do and is a much more direct route to being found.

It's absolutely possible to hide from the Xeno in Isolation. However it's not 100% reliable, and if you spend too long hidden or repeatedly hide in the same places, it will start finding you in those places more quickly. Crouching is fine too. You can hide by just crouching under tables, although again, this isn't risk free.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

al-azad posted:

I like that everyone who has played A:I has a story about stepping on the alien's tail.

The worst thing is when you’re hiding under a table and the tail just sneaks under there with you as the Alien walks past.

I don’t know where the “hit detection” starts or ends so it’s always tense as gently caress trying not to touch it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

So despite being a horror game guy, I have never played - or even know a single thing about - any of those Dark Pictures games.

Keep seeing them pop up though and I see there's a new one on the way.

Are they any good? Is there a set order to play them or are they all unique stories?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Thanks Goons. I won't be in a rush then.

Don't have a PlayStation so Until Dawn is out - although it seems a likely candidate for a PC port if Sony are really in on this? Will keep an eye on The Quarry.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Fil5000 posted:

I'd be surprised if Until Dawn gets a port, it's seven years old at this point, if they were going to do it they'd have done it by now.

I guess it depends how seriously Sony are about PC. We're still very much at the beginning of that journey with them, but I think the trajectory will only continue in the direction of "more PlayStation games on PC". I do think in time they'll get to more PS4 era games that have exhausted their sales on PlayStation, but maybe that's just hope.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Len posted:

Bloodborne is getting a native PC port any day now according to "leakers" and that's way older than Until Dawn

Well.. that’s where that hope I mentioned comes in.

Any version of reality that rules out Bloodborne on PC is one I’m not interested in.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Pope Guilty posted:

Are these credible leaks or are these people mistaking "it would be so cool if" for facts?

I always thought the Silent Hill 2 Remake and a Bloodborne PC release occupied a very similar rumour-space, and have both rumbled on for years. Obviously we now know Silent Hill 2 was legit, so..

Ugh, I dunno. It’s just blind hope at this point. Surely it’s just one of those things where there’s too much money left on the table by NOT doing it.

I’d like to see something regarding the Demons Souls remaster on PC, too. Remember there was a load of fuss when they announced that with a mistaken mention of a PC release in the promos, so again, maybe it’s just a matter of time. Either it happens or I go insane waiting for it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

REmake is the best remake of a game ever, still. It takes away nothing and everything it adds enhances the experience. Other than nostalgia or to savour that superb dialogue, nobody needs to play the original ever again.

REmake 2 is a great game in its own right and a very serviceable remake. Everybody should play RE2:R. But it doesn't fully replace the original game, and the original still has some things worth seeing that the remake doesn't do. They are both brilliant and can and should co-exist.

REmake 3 is a decent game but a bad remake. It's a fun time. A really short but sharp slice of Resident Evil possibly at its absolute best in terms of action. It's only a surface level interpretation of RE3 though. Like its drawn from memory. Too many lost moments and this version of Nemesis ain't it. It's the only one of the 3 where I outright prefer the original game no questions asked.

Anyway, ignoring what I just said about RE1, I'm begging Capcom to bundle that original trilogy on Steam etc. Assuming we're done with remakes after 4 (this Code Veronica remake begging isn't serious, surely?) it seems like the biggest/easiest pot of money still left on the table for them with RE. None of them deserve to be lost to time just because of the remakes and at least 2 of the 3 are still highly recommended to play regardless.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Facing a bit of a dilemma with Dead Space and The Callisto Protocol.

Probably can't justify or even want to play both that close to each other. I've played some of Dead Space before but didn't finish it, so it's effectively going to be a new experience for me anyway. I'm Steam Deck exclusive at this point, so I suspect it might come down to which of the two is Verified (or at least runs well) on Deck.

Callisto obviously has the first shot at getting that right. I'll give it a couple of days and if Callisto reviews well AND launches Verified/playable to a good standard, then I'll jump in with that. Dead Space might be relegated to a future sale price.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Basic Chunnel posted:

At this point I’d think it safe to say that CP is way more of a squib-heavy action game than it a horror game.

I can't help shake the impression so far, perhaps unfairly, that this is closer towards the Resident Evil 6 end of the action/horror spectrum?

Maybe not even as good as RE6 in terms of close quarters melee action..?

Again, that might not be accurate, but it's a niggling takeaway I can't shift as I skim through some of these reviews this morning.

It's disappointing that a new big budget horror IP might be turning out to be a dud, but as others are currently pointing out, horror fans are generally eating pretty good at the moment and have been for a while. There are still great looking horror games released in the last couple of months that I haven't got round to yet, and it's only another month for Dead Space to fill the mainstream, AAA survival horror slot.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not directing this at you specifically at all, but I would love to know some actual reasons as to why so many people consider Dead Space 1 survival horror and Dead Space 2 action. I feel like the game that people remember it being and the game it actually is are two entirely different things.

I'd argue that Dead Space 2 is actually a better horror game (and a much, much better action game).

The Alien > Aliens / Terminator > Terminator 2 trend of the 80's has simply made this the most convenient comparison point for any horror adjacent IP that ramps up the action with a sequel, however slightly.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Skillup's review has just gone up and it's absolutely damning of everything but the visuals.

Reading reviews of the combat etc is one thing but watching this.. wow. This just ain't it, it looks frustrating as gently caress.

https://youtu.be/mm8pxfU9c6E

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Gesadt posted:

eh, like any reviewer you got to know how his and yours tastes overlap. e.g. he liked evil west, which i thought is boring waste of time, so we like different things (or find different things more important), cool. that's all there is to it.

same with gman who is closer to my tastes in games
https://youtu.be/dCB3ysR6rVI

I'm mostly going off the visual of the footage he used. It's the first time I've seen the game running like that, and it adds a visual context to what a lot of reviews - not just Skillup's - have described.

It looks like they've gone for something new and unique in this space, which is to be applauded on the whole, but I don't think what they were going for has landed at all. It looks like a system that's fundamentally broken in some very specific ways, and there's more than just a couple of reviewers pointing to that.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Pollyanna posted:

(Control doesn’t really count as horror, but it was cool as gently caress, so I think it deserves a mention anyway.)

I'm playing through Control at the minute, and I think it absolutely qualifies as horror-adjacent.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Dead Space is a weird blind spot for me considering my other tastes. I played and loved 2, but bounced off 1 back in the day after about an hour for reasons I don't remember, and have never gone back to it.

Do we have any reason to think the original might hold up better as a survival horror experience? That 18 minutes of the remake looks fine/good, but something about it has me wondering if it'll miss the horror mark slightly. Might be a silly concern, but curious if anyone who loved the original also thinks it'll still hold up better based on what we've seen of the remake. Horror media can be sensitive to losing things through new coats of paint or technical innovation.

EDIT: I suppose what I'm getting at is, I'm super tempted to just go and pick up the original game now, but I don't know if that's stupid impatience and a waste of time this close to a remake that I guess still looks like it'll be good.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 6, 2022

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Playing through Dusk at the moment. While I'm not sure where people think it lands as a full tilt horror game, it definitely goes some places and hits some strong notes. Whenever the game robs me of my flashlight, there's a panic akin to the loss of resource in any other horror game I've ever played - especially with some of the enemy variants.

Brilliant game generally speaking, too. Retro FPS/Horror is pound for pound my favourite mash up of genre's.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I've only just started Chapter 3 so it sounds like I've got more scares to come. Hype.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

woodenchicken posted:

Trilogy for now.
So much more technically advanced than AvP on Jaguar, but way less... ambition.

I'm sure it's trapped in some sort of licensing limbo, but I always think it's a shame that Alien Trilogy isn't commercially available anywhere at the moment. Especially when Star Wars: Dark Forces is on Steam and actively receiving community support. They occupy a similar place in my mind thinking back to those early PS1 days and I always thought Alien Trilogy was decent.

Honestly, Alien Trilogy was probably as influential as RE1 in terms of getting me into horror games at a (too early) age.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

There's an era of the big budget AAA game that I'm quite nostalgic for. I guess it was during the 360 era? When it felt like big releases were on a regular release cadence, everyone was either playing or at least aware of the same things, stuff like midnight launches and exciting hype cycles..

Everything about the Callisto Protocol story I just find exhausting. Who is asking for $160m games? Or games that take 5 years to develop? Or games that require 300 people to work 60 hour weeks? Or games that need to shift 5 million units to justify their existence? Especially when the result is The Callisto Protocol.

I see a "story" is doing the rounds today about Suicide Squad having a Battlepass. Did anyone expect it wouldn't? This is what AAA games look like now. I'm genuinely shocked there are people who are surprised.

Maybe it's amplified even further in the horror space. AAA horror seems to be a genre that people have been clamoring to come back but.. I dunno, man. There are people working in the horror space who are delivering fantastic projects without these crazy expectations or sales pressures, and have been for years.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

2023 is shaping up to be a pretty big year for AAA horror, with RE4/SH2/DS remakes, that all-new SH project, Alan Wake 2, Dead Island 2 (lol) and a lot of other stuff that while probably not costing $160 million to make are definitely a few steps above indie.

Yeah, I guess this is a bad year to try and sell a "nobody needs AAA horror anymore" narrative. And hey, I wouldn't want to sell that anyway. I like Resident Evil and Silent Hill plenty.

But 3 of those are remakes in established and already beloved franchises. And even then, while I'm sure RE4 will be a critical and commercial home run, SH2 has some significant question marks over it, and I wouldn't rule out a Dead Space remake launching in January for £50 ending up with a similar news story about missed publisher targets as Callisto.

In a just world Alan Wake 2 should be one of the slam dunk releases of the year, but again.. do Remedy games have a sales track record? I seem to recall Control not selling well but I could be wildly wrong on that.

Maybe they all do well enough not to torpedo their IP, which would be nice.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Genuinely happy about that. Remedy are great.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ineffiable posted:

Okay I finished my first playthrough of Dead Space Remake and it's good. Very good.

This is a rare case where the remake is basically superior in all ways over the original.

Hell a lot of people were afraid of them having more dialog for Isaac but honestly it all fits. He's not overly talky. It feels natural for him to make those comments that he did.

They e also expanded the game by like 10% and redesigned various sections and they are so much better than in the original.

It sounds similar to REmake - a game I consider the best remake of all time for some of the reasons you've highlighted here.

REmake is the only remake of a game I've ever played that truly supersedes the original. It takes nothing away, while adding new content in a smart way that enhances the experience without getting in the way or disrupting the flow of the original product. As well as being one of gaming's most impressive visual glow ups (seriously, they were just 5 years apart?), every addition or change to REmake makes it better.

It's a high bar that no other game has reached for me - certainly not the other Resident Evil remakes (so far) - but it sounds like Dead Space is in that same ballpark.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

RE7 doesn't need the credit or acclaim of revitalising the wider horror genre. All it needed to do was get Resident Evil back on track.

Resident Evil 6 might have sold well but I think it pulled the trigger on the franchise and could potentially have left it rotting at the side of the road. And I honestly think Capcom were smart enough to realise that too regardless of sales.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Medullah posted:

RE7 pulled me back in to RE big time. I'm a big fan of exploration and puzzles and not so much action, RE4 honestly turned me off initially because it was too linear and shooter like . 5 I bounced off of immediately and neer touched any of the others. Got RE7 on sale one night and a friend and I started playing it at midnight one night and I was hooked. I love the RE2 remake and the originals, but I think 7 just nails the atmosphere I love, it's my favorite in the series.

Even 8 is a bit too action focused for me, but I enjoyed it.

7 is right up there for me too, and I actually quite enjoy re-playing it which I believe is usually one of the knocks against it, as many seem to regard it as a one-and-done thing. I think it's the closest RE to the vibe of the first game.

RE7 is however the only mainline RE game I haven't bought day one. I was completely out on the series after RE6 despite being with it from the very start, and it took a trusted mate about a month to convince me to get over myself and give it a go. Super glad I did. I've enjoyed everything Capcom have done with RE since to varying degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bloodborne is just Goth Souls.

Which is why it's the best one.