Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Crossposting from the Xbox thread.

I've picked up Resident Evil 7 again after the next gen upgrade launched, having only played a few hours originally. And Jesus Christ, this game has some of the sickest imagery of any horror material in any media. And the ray tracing on it is excellent and makes an already great looking game even better.

I'd strongly recommend for any horror fans. A few years late to the party, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been getting into the mood to play it again with the upgrades and all the excitement for other RE announcements. I always thought some of the people faces in it looked weird but otherwise it was very strong visually, I really want to see the updated version.

You get to see Marguerite's blue waffle in exquisite detail. I'm sorry to say. Finished the game earlier today. I thought the prolonged epilogue was a bit much but overall it was a great game.

I fired up Resident Evil 2 afterwards, looks good so far. Half tempted to watch a playthrough of the original on PS1 to get a feel for it.

I seem to have Resident Evil Remastered in my game library. Was it a Games with Gold option some time? Is it a decent game to play in this day and age or has it aged too much?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

The remake of RE is really good. It's still Resident Evil which means you should probably play with a guide handy because of puzzles and such can be a pain in the rear end, but it's still a great survival horror game.

I played it for about an hour and a half yesterday and had to tap out and play RE2 again.

Inventory management in the first game is a loving nightmare and not even being able to drop shite you don't need without a chest was killing me. I may go back to it after I complete 2 before I go onto 3. It's funny to see how many aspects have carried over to subsequent games over the past 26 years.

Speaking of RE2, it's absolutely cracker so far. My only issue is the brightness of the darkness - I have an OLED TV but the dark parts of the image are a washed out grey. Is this how it's designed or do I need to tweak settings somewhere (which I've done a lot).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mr E posted:

I didn't play REMake til a few years ago but I think it's probably my favorite of the non-RE4 games now. I really liked RE2 Remake and thought RE3 remake was... ok. REMake just feels like a more complete package in a way the other two don't due to some changes to how the original games were (i.e. the two character playthroughs being more interconnected/different and RE3 having more areas in the original). RE2 I didn't mind being full price but 3 remake felt like it should have been priced differently for what it was.

I've heard the R3 remake being a lesser effort than 2, what's the main reason behind this?

Spoilers ahead here for RE2.

I'm now a good few hours into RE2 and my immersion has been broken by several things. Firstly, the 8 foot tall man in a hat - was this really the image they want on a battlefield (or maybe they gave him a personality and he really likes noir detective novels)?

Secondly, Ms FBI driving in high heels and wearing sunglasses in dark environments (this reminded me of a scene in Transformers 4 where a bad guy was looking for a transformer in a dark barn, with a torch, wearing sunglasses).

Thirdly, Ms FBI strips down to her sex suit in a sewer. Don't get me wrong, like all good goons I had a gangbang in the sewers with 6 of my best friends when I was a kid but c'mon, son.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mr X is definitely creepy, it's just that hat!

Ada does own bones though, and if she's modelled on a real person... sheet, sign me up.

I bought RE 2 and 3 on sale for peanuts and I love the free update policy.

I have vague memories of watching a childhood friend (now dead unfortunately) play RE 1 and 2 on his PlayStation. I remember being in disbelief that games could look so good. We were 13/14 when the first game came out but it was a real zeitgeist for us, even though we didn't know it at the time.

7 was the first game I played from start to finish for myself and I really enjoyed it. RE4 is being remade but the original is on sale for £6.50 or so. Is it worth a buy now or should I wait for the remake?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man if you're not on board with an eight foot tall zombie guy in a trenchcoat whose fedora you can shoot off, you're in the wrong franchise

I've made my peace now!

Giant sewer alligator is rude.

Nyoro posted:

well jesus goondolences on losing your friend

He was my friend when I was a kid but I hadn't seen him in 20 years, but thanks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

I think the person who said they felt like a fool for paying full price was onto part of why it seemed so bad at the time.

The other part is conditional & related to the previous part. Like a lot of the Resident Evil games, you can unlock fun stuff with multiple playthroughs, but 3's charms are mainly gated behind that mechanic. If you're like me and tend to play a game once, then put it down for a while- possibly forever- then it's not much of a game, especially for $60, and especially as a follow up to 2, which felt significantly more substantial during a single playthrough.

I got RE2 and 3 on sale for about £10 so I'm happy enough. I completed 2 with Leon a few minutes ago and really enjoyed it. Is it worth a playthrough with Claire, or a "second run"?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Doomykins posted:

It's worth playing the game normally from the start as Claire and then picking either one for a B Side run, RE2R's B Side is more of a light remix then an actual full second game like RE2 had. Claire and Leon's A sides both have different side story beats, side story playable sections, sections of the RPD you use and finales. B side mostly amounts to the RPD is halfway remixed and then close to identical to A run.

Thanks for the response, I'll check it out after I complete R3. I'm only an hour in and already have found more ammo and health than I did in the entirety of RE2.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Zushio posted:

My buddy was obsessed not with RE3, with RE: Resistance that was included for free.

So much so that he was willing to buy a second full price copy for me (I was broke at the time). I actually ended adding some extra money from a gift card to get the 2 and 3 combo pack on sale, coming to about $45 each (Canadian). I don't feel ripped off, personally.

I actually haven't played 3 at all yet despite having for memories of the orginal version. It was both my first Playstation game and first RE game. I did do 4 playthroughs of RE2Make though, and a surprising amount Resistance.

3 is good fun and a lot less stressful than 2, because of the amount of ammo and health you get.

Something I've appreciated about 3 is that the black levels are now black instead of the washed out grey that irked me in 2.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

I can't believe Routine is coming back.

I really hope they keep the super low refresh rate on the multitool nightvision module because that seemed like one of the most pant making GBS threads game mechanics I've ever seen.

Also apparently Mick Gordon is involved so that's great.

First I've heard of Routine. There's an 8 year old gameplay trailer on YouTube, was it in dev hell or something?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Len posted:

nobody knows, they released some teaser stuff and then nothing

there is a pretty fun little mini rant where they accuse alien isolation of ripping them off though

Alien: Isolation that shipped the same year as their trailer? Pah. Great game that, one of my all time favourites.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

sigher posted:

This looks great, god drat.

They basically found that their game wasn't that fun, had to restart but didn't have any funding anymore so the project was shelved.

Ah cheers, fingers crossed for this one then.

I still have tears that we'll never see an Alien Isolation sequel. That game was a masterpiece. Apparently the average playtime to complete is 16 hours. According to Steam, it took me 28 hours, basically meaning I spent 12 hours hiding, which checks out. One of the most incredible horror experiences I've had in any media.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I keep thinking I need to give Alien Isolation another try, they're was so much incredible atmosphere to it. I can't remember the details at this point, but I bowed out somewhere along the way when I got repeatedly frustrated at a sequence trying to deal with other humans. I don't know how much they're in the game, I just remember it felt like a switch to a more generic space game at that point.

The score really sets it apart as well as the sound design for me. I feel completely drenched in dread every time I play it and I can forgive it for its faults because it's a masterful experience.

Have you played Blair Witch? Another game that soaks the senses. Though there are some sections that don't play all that well, it also nails the eeriness of being watched by a witch in the woods.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have not, based on the setting it might be too spooky for me :v:

You a forest dweller or what? If you like horror it's definitely one to check out. I played it over the course of a couple of nights in the dark upon initial release (I think it was on Game Pass) with a few whiskeys in me for balls. I topped it off watching the original movie and was thrown back 20 years to when I first watched it. I even remembered the creepy sound the website played in the background when you read through the missing persons info. Back in 1999 that was really novel.

The Blair Witch Project lore is pretty interesting beyond what's shown in the movies, and some of the day/night stuff and the time displacement are... not explained, but attention is drawn to them a bit more. I have The Blair Witch Dossier which is pretty cool.

The_Doctor posted:

Alien Isolation is so good, it might just be slightly too long.

By the end of it I was glad it was over because my nerves were shot to pieces.

Is there no sequel due to poor sales or something? It's such a pity because it remains the best Alien universe entertainment since 1986.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Exactly this. I could only play in 30-45 min sessions because I would be so tense the entire time. 9/10, would induce grey hairs again.

Glad it's not just me! I couldn't play it after 2100 because I was literally so wound up I couldn't sleep.

I've played through RE7, RE2 and RE3 the past week and am now onto RE4 and... the controls feel awful. I'm sure they were fine for the time but I'm finding it a hard slog to get through and I'm less than an hour in. Is it really worth sticking with?

I'm tempted to get RE8 but it's still quite expensive and lots of games I intend to play end up on Game Pass within a year or so.

thebardyspoon posted:

They have occasionally put up job postings for people with experience in designing FPS games or artists with sci-fi experience and such but it's been on and off again for years so people are unsure if it's an Alien Isolation thing or some other thing, some rumors they want to try and jump on the live service bandwagon so could be that if true also.

I think a service like Game Pass would suit a game like A:I that wouldn't/don't sell all that well individually but can have good engagement numbers. You could imagine a new season or chapter or whatever every few months pushing the story forward rather than the typical model.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 22, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

https://www.eurogamer.net/creative-assembly-reveals-ballsy-multiplayer-sci-fi-heist-shooter-hyenas

The Creative Assembly game referenced earlier in the thread. It's not Alien: Desolation :arghfist:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

This is what I’m worried about for Scorn (the not fun part, not the running out of money part). We’ve basically just seen the same 10 minutes of gameplay over and over with somewhat better graphics and, while they mail the Giger+Beksinski art style*, the gameplay itself doesn’t exactly look compelling.

*Though even this is less compelling these days. A lot of games lately are adopting Beksinksi’s style.

Alien: Isolation was also just ported to iPhones and iPads for some reason. Seems like something that would cost more to port than you would make back in sales, but maybe it was to get practice for releasing to mobile.

When Alien: Blackout was announced I was gutted it wasn't a proper sequel.

What other games have a Beksinki style to them?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I really wanted to like The Medium, especially coming from the Blair Witch dudes, but I couldn't get into its story or gameplay.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Alien Isolation but the xenomorph is replaced by this

Not-Slender Man?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Was going to ask about Last Year: The Nightmare but now have read that the developer has closed and the game is no longer available? Sounds like some dodgy stuff went down with the founder in the past.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I found it really difficult to get into Man of Medan. The controls and 30FPS were really frustrating to me. Is the control scheme in the likes of Until Dawn similar?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

New Alien/Aliens game will be announced at SDCC by Servios. Might be fully VR or just have it as an option.

I swear to god if it's a sequel to Isolation and is VR only I will burst out of someone's chest.

Console, PC and VR according to
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23219360/aliens-game-survios-vr-announcement

I will leave bursting out of someone's chest for a while longer it seems.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Not seeing anything anything about this Alien game at Comic Con - am I missing it or has nothing been announced yet?

Bogart posted:

I wonder if Routine will come out this time. The rare game that becomes vaporware twice.

Due to be on Game Pass but no release date issued, which means that it'll probably be next year.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mix. posted:

if anyone was considering playing that backrooms 1998 horror game that came out back in may uhhhhhh don't. the devs thought it'd be cool to use a real actual child abduction/murder case for their game while barely changing any of the details about it :stonk:

can't believe we found a case of this happening that's worse than yiik but here we are

What game is this?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I can't find mention of the Alien game meant to be announced at SDCC. Was nothing actually announced after all?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What was the original like?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is The Callisto Protocol co-op or just single player?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I got to the last boss in Dead Space 2 but the last checkpoint left me with eff all ammo and I just got murdered repeatedly.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

worms butthole guy posted:

I think with RE8 knowing I was powerful helped and that was my favorite part of RE2; the beginning part being able to explore and have fun without having to worry about lickers and MR X on my tail.

I have RE3 also but I imagine nemesis is even worse?

Nemesis is a terrifying threat, but RE3 has an absolute ton of ammunition and weaponry throughout the game. I got more ammo in my first hour in RE3 than nearly the entirety of RE2, so I generally shat myself less in 3. But poo poo I did.

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you don't want anything too scary?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

https://www.ign.com/articles/killer-klowns-from-outer-space-the-game-3v7-multiplayer

Killer Klowns From Outer Space!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think Alien Isolation is what really started it, but what really sold it to publishers was that RE7 came out, sold great, and most importantly *sold Village* as well. It showed that it wasn't just a random hit, which is kind of a big deal because RE4 was a huge success and then the followups went downhill fast. Since Village did well too it greenlit a whole lot of stuff.

Alien Isolation breaks my heart. A perfect organism destroyed by... what exactly? It's one of the most terrifying experiences I've ever had in my life. That's partly the game's access to my childhood trauma of watching Aliens when I was about 6 (bless my dad).

Isolation deserves a trilogy. The original doesn't even require a remake or a remaster, such was its presentation and atmosphere. I couldn't play that game after 2100 or I wouldn't sleep.

So what was it that destroyed it in its facehugger stage?

Regarding Dead Space, I absolutely loved the original when I was 26, and adored the remake. I hopped onto Dead Space 2 from my old Xbox Live Gold library and was pleasantly surprised to find it received an FPS boost on Xbox Series X. The gameplay is almost identical to the remake, and the graphics have held up like a champ. Was it a different engine or just an enhanced one from 2008?

I'd love a remake of The Thing . I know it was a game over 20 years ago but the setting really lends itself to a AAA 2020s game.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vermain posted:

i believe it's still the same engine, but DS2 had some truly excellent art direction and use of light and shadow. it's like how F.E.A.R still looks beastly so many years later, since they understood that atmosphere is a huge part of what sells horror as an experience and wisely invested into it versus trying to make the most detailed-looking office spaces of that generation

Is it the RenderWare engine they used for Dead Space? I always just assumed it was Unreal Engine 3 back in the day but I know that's incorrect.

So far as I remember, Alien Isolation used a proprietary engine. A sequel would be a good fit for the likes of Game Pass, developers can make games for a much more niche market than regular triple A titles, and it removes some publisher pressure to go more mainstream resulting in the likes of Dead Space 3 (of which I only played about 5 minutes, so don't know if it deserves its reputation).

F.E.A.R. was amazing at the time as well. Really shows how well games can age (18 years old now, Jesus Christ) when their art direction uses the technology of the time to greatest effect.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

Managed to finish up DSR finally after learning the secret to stopping crashes was switching to the Power Saver plan on my PC to throttle the cpu enough that the game couldn't cause my PC to soft crash. I guess if anyone else was having that issue I would give that a try.

Great game, will probably do another run through.

New Game+ gives you a cool suit that almost looks like you're wearing the Jason X hockey mask. After he gets his upgrade.

In 2012 I gave up on Dead Space 2 at the last boss fight - I think I went into it with low health and in my hubris had deleted all the previous saved games, so couldn't backtrack to an earlier chapter.

Today I beat the bloody thing after starting it when I finished DSR. It's funny seeing my achievements being 11 years apart. DS2 is amazing though, it doesn't look its age at all and playing it at 60fps on console is a delight. I don't think a remake is needed though: FPS boost makes 30fps games feel so different.

I'll start Dead Space 3 soon and see why it killed the franchise. Anyone have memories of that one to share?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

Play with a friend, and watch as they squander one of the few good opportunities they had to make DS3 at least somewhat unique.

It's bad. Real bad. The fact is it's a perfectly mediocre title that basically dumps on the last two games via a very mediocre plot and just absolutely horrible character writing, the worst of which is Ellie's character assassination. Especially if you're just coming fresh off Ellie being a fantastic character who is independent, takes care of herself and holds her own to a totally useless damsel-in-distress.

There are some new enemies, like Faster Slasher but it's axes instead of bone blades, and Just A Human With A Gun. The environments could have been cool, but then you realize so much gets copy-pasted you might find yourself doing double takes and be struck by a sense of deja-vu as you wonder if you hadn't already been somewhere that's actually new already.

There's a couple of cool set pieces, and the weapons system is kinda neat, but overall it's just, ugh. Frustrating. It's worth an experience if you can get it super cheap, and def recc playing it with a friend so you have someone else to suffer with.

Cheers, my only Xbox mate has little interest at the moment so I'm going solo. Only about 2 hours in but it already feels more like Tomb Raider in space than Dead Space. The lighting seems worse than DS2, or maybe it's just the overall art style, and gently caress microtransactions for weapon mods etc.

Even at this point I hope they skip remaking 2 and 3 and just make a Dead Space 4. Not bothered about a Halloween 2018 job where they just go their own way.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Also about to finally wrap up Callisto Protocol and this game really does truly loving suck. What a shame.

What's so bad about it? I'm keen to play but it seems to get more hate here than general reviews.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Finished Dead Space 3, cool final boss fight but the entire game feels like it was handled by another developer to the first two games. Not an awful game but just a bit bland more than anything else.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does it seem like RE4 will be leaning more towards horror, like RE2, or action, like RE4?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Evil Dead: The Game is on sale for £16 in the Xbox Store. Is it worth that price? I enjoy Dead by Daylight for the most part, even though it's become too convoluted to ever be balanced.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

None of my friends play online horror games. Ah well, thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What's Resident Evil 4 like on Xbox? Digital Foundry says it's got pretty bad input lag.