Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ryoshi posted:

What's everyone's opinion on Siren?

Siren is one of the few games that really tensed me up (I'm one of those weirdos who can stand games but not movies). the Z-tv tool is just as good at helping you as it is at making you paranoid. How many are around you? Where are they on the map? What are they d- oh god this one sounds disgusting and its really close to the ground what is up with that?

Mechanic-wise I'm divided on the game. The idea of characters helping one another progress through the game with seemingly arbitrary actions is neat, however it also means you are locked in a cycle until you have done enough secondary missions to switch the outcomes to the point that you can move on to the next set.

The ps3 remake was alright. Quite a few people feel the original is better, and for good reasons, but it's not all bad. They managed to nail the core gameplay and atmosphere, in particular the recreation of certain scenes are fantastic in HD. Horror games are a genre where graphics can and often do matter, something the remake does well in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, I always thought about Silent Hill as a mediocre series with one breakaway success. I was around to see basically the whole series happen and people have been saying "worst game yet" for every game after Silent Hill 2, only to amend later "okay, maybe it wasn't all that bad" because the newest one was even worse.

It's probably best to just think of SH2 as one accidental piece of genius and stop mourning the wasted potential of the rest of the series.

I couldn't play this game when it came out. It was just too unsettling to deal with at that age.

1-3 were fine. Maybe not to everyone's taste but that's not the same as bad.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, if they ever revisit Quake, I hope they'll try this aesthetic again instead of the Strogg bullshit. Many of those early 3D games don't hold up, but stuff like Quake and Thief totally do on the strength of their weird, abstract atmospheres and excellent sound design.

Doom 3's Hell section comes to mind as well. It was way too short in my opinion.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah it wasn't made by the original developers. It was done by the folks who made Dear Esther.

I've got good hopes for Soma though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

Outlast
cthulhu game
silent hill series (old)
resident evil series (old)
Penumbra
AvP classic series (oh hey an actually decent horror FPS)
System shock series (^oh wow... they were doing this-incredibly well-since the 90s? Why did they stop....)
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
Cry of fear/Afraid of monsters
Nightmare house 2
year walk
condemned
Damned
metro series
stalker series
doom 3
fear series
amnesia

What am I missing? Not necessarily horror, but even those more suspenseful games that keep you at the edge of your seat and have good atmosphere. And are single player.

I'm missing a shitload... There needs to be some kind of official list.

Siren and Fatal Frame/project zero.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

What also helps is the field of view you have. While the basic details of the world can be seen at all times you need to actually look in a direction to see what is really happening. For instance you can see something pushing your barricades around but without looking directly you have no idea what is causing it. Same for things like characters and dead bodies; a room can look perfectly safe and clean until you get in there.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Dreadwroth posted:

The session I had the other day only lasted one day, if you don't find wood and nails to barricade your cabin you are probably pretty hosed. I had this jerk with black spiky tendrils instead of a face break in and beat me to death with a pipe. Ahhhhhhhh time to take a break.

Ha, yeah it can be unforgiving as hell. Note that it appears they do work with sight themselves. It's possible to survive in a closed room without barricades if you stay away from the windows. It's not a guarantee but they can choose to simply not explore a building if they don't know you're there.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Did a bit of looking around and found a few play through vids of that P.T. demo thing and honestly it didn't look bad. The atmosphere was good and the little moments were set up nicely. It seems to be made in the fox engine so it probably won't look bad either. if the final game is more of this stuff I think I'd like it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

See people say this but I wouldn't really call Five Nights at Freddy's a jumpscare game, past maybe the first time or two it happens. You get a pop scare if you fail, but you'll usually see them coming and know you messed up before it happens, plus that's not where the meat of the horror comes from, which is frantically scrambling through your cameras trying to keep a handle on these nutty animatronics coming to wring your neck.

This sounds interesting and I didn't even hear about this game yet. Will give it a go soon.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Never had a problem with animatronics or horror games but Freddy's got me real nervous real quick. Instead of wandering through a world and doing things at your own pace the things are coming to/for you and the game doesn't have a way to pause in the middle of a night. Having to juggle the camera's, lights and that loving pirate cove guy is tense as hell.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

soapydishwater posted:

I think a big part of the horror to me in Freddy's was also what the phone guy says they do when they catch you. Apparently they think you're an endoskeleton without its suit on, so they stuff you into a costume, which is filled with crossbars and wires and other sharp metal parts and such, and the only thing that's left of you is your eyes and teeth. Maybe it's just my imagination playing it up a bunch, but jesus that sounds loving terrifying. It's a good game if you just turn the logical part of your brain off and soak in the atmosphere.

What they do to you when you play dead is even worse.
if you were to attempt to avoid death by playing dead they'll attempt to shove a spare endoskeleton into you thinking you are an empty suit.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

No, because jump scares are by nature unexpected and without context. The full-screen puppet-scream is literally what you are playing the entire game to avoid, and what you monitor the cameras to prevent. If you keep track of the puppets' movements, you'll know when one of them is close enough to face-munch you upon lowering your camera viewer.

Hell, it's even possible to know when you're hosed in advance, because the doors and lights stop working when one of the puppets has gotten in.

edit: poo poo, hit the wrong button

Except the first time the bunny or bird get to you you have no idea how it will happen(all you know is that something is wrong but not what). It works as a jumpscare. Hell the first time with the pirate cove guy I had no idea what or how it could happen and I was simply listening to the phone call. Foxy just popped in. Doesn't matter how it is set up, I didn't see it coming so it worked as a jumpscare.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Since I only played Fatal Frame 2 completely and the first bit of 3 I'm now going through the first one thanks to this thread. Holy :laffo: you weren't kidding about the voice acting. Atmosphere is solid though and going through the same house in different nights is cooler than I thought.

That blinded woman though, gently caress. I mean I think I figured out her deal now but before you do jesus christ.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah the second installment is a good starting point, as weird as that may seem. I like all three but the second one has a vibe that the others don't, somehow.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Didn't one of the early prototypes for RE4 end up becoming Devil May Cry?

Correct! I played through it a few days ago and it is so telling it is crazy. The "puzzle" styles, some of the ambient music when poo poo isn't going down, and quite a lot of the locations are a give away.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I'm hoping there is some hard counter to that. At first glance it sounds like a bad mechanic.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is Evil Within ever coming out? It feels lie it was announced a forever ago, but maybe it just feels that way.

Release date can be seen right on steam's store page.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Just a few hints:

Always keep a count of how many people there are.
Always keep a save before you do something.
If someone fails killing themselves the first time, they WILL try again. See if there's something you can do about that.
The place isn't just testing people based on what they've done inside the pyramid.
In the last section, get 4 members up to at least level 7.

Alright now I got to try this. Sounds interesting!

E: welp lost the first one. Can't think of a way to stop it. Will try again later.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 5, 2014

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Consider this. If you can't prevent it, what should you do?

In most games it means it can't be circumvented. Here I'm not so sure.

I ran into a second problematic one. This one involves a fight that seems impossible. I'm considering a full restart and a bit of grinding to get everyone some decent stats. The folks already had good levels but this thing hits like a truck.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

You got both events correct, those are the ones who bit it. For the second one I get forced into a fight so I think I need to do something beforehand. Or use a skill that normally does jack? Will see what I can figure out.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Will do, thanks! Just blitzed through the beginning again and took a different option where I suspected there was a death that I missed. Jesus christ poor Rin. :stare:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I watched the movies with some friends and left it confused at the plot and at the lack of "The Art of Silent Hill" or some other collection of concept art from the movie or game series. Visually the game has some of the most interesting monsters of video games and I would love to have a better look at them since H. R. Giger is fantastic but some well lit artwork of the grotesque is more than welcome by me.

Giger was involved with SH?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

al-azad posted:

Because it's cinematic, man! You heard the Ubisoft guy, 900p just looks better even if that means letterboxing 1080p.

Funny thing is Tech5 should have 0 problems with this.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Was there not an AitD game in a style similar to REmake? So basically 2D backgrounds they spend a lot of time on to prettify, creating impressive effects for the flashlight and shadows. I never picked it up. Was it any good?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Okay so Evil Within is getting better now that I'm out of the starting few chapters. Still weird though, now the hiding spaces never get used, and it's much more of a RE4-style game (with minor stealth elements). Now that I actually have weapons, like the crazy AGONY CROSSBOW, I can take on multiple enemies at once...the only worry is that one enemy that shows up around chapter 4-ish, the multi-armed long-haired woman. Loading screen tips literally say that she can be killed, but it's almost certainly not worth it.

I'll give the game credit for genuinely creating moments of fear that aren't just based around worry about jump scares showing up, but about some freaky-rear end thing that'll tear my poo poo apart. Few games do that.

Whenever you can run from her, run. Sometimes this isn't enough but you can kinda tell by keeping your eyes open.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

By that definition every movie animation etc is a slideshow though. :confused:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Oh wow you actually meant individual files for each frame holy poo poo :laffo:.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

So capcom turned their REmake into a 17gig game, that's rather impressive considering the original was 2-3 gigs.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

high resolution textures are very expensive. Exponentially so.

And ported to the MT Framework engine. :drat: that's pretty impressive and just made it more likely for me to want it since that suggests it will be technically sound. I vaguely recall REmake having an unorthodox difficulty select. Was 'I like rock climbing" the normal or hard setting I can't recall.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

Hiking was easy, Mountain Climbing was hard.

In that case I'm confused, what's normal then?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Here's a trick if you have a shotgun shell to spare and some extra defense daggers: let a zed grab you and stab him in the head. During the animation just hold down aim+up so the moment it's done you immediately aim at its head and pop. Just about always the damage of the dagger plus the shot will blow off the head. Now the dagger is on the floor and can be picked up again. Easy free kills with no damage risk.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

If you... dislodge them, yeah. With a gun. :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The game is kind enough to hint whether or not something is left behind though. It won't tell you what or how much, but the map map color codes fully cleared rooms.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

If it werent for this thread I would never have known of Echo Night Beyond so hey, thanks for that!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

If that were the case they wouldn't have mentioned the daggers, since they weren't in the original.

Yeah. Although it doesn't matter if it was like this in the GC version or not for those who are now picking this up for the first time, which is why I brought it up.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Have you checked the files? Does it have separate music files? If not does it use archive files that things like Winrar/7zip could open? If that's a no, the odds are against you. You could still get it if you recorded the sound of your own pc.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

I thought you were talking about her boobs for a sec because :stare:

That's an odd way to read it. Freud might want a word with you. :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You know the oddest thing is how few games have made use of that high res in-game display thing that Doom 3 did despite the fact that it's basically the one thing that was universally praised about that game. It really added a lot to be able to read the various screens and such by actually reading them right off the screen in the world, rather than hitting your "use" key and having it bring up a text box that describes to you the thing you're supposed to be looking at.

It's such an underused system too. Modders managed to get Doom 1 running on it. D1 inside D3. :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I never thought I'd attempt a speedrun in any game but with REmake it is tempting. The limited inventory space makes it a fun puzzle to map out when and where to go with which items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Quirk posted:

speaking of Friday the 13th on nes... ;)

...yes? A bit more info maybe? :confused:

e: I'm pretty sure pumping the next round of the mag forward is not considered reloading. Reloading a pump action involves putting actual cartridges into the drat thing. :colbert: