Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I wasn't a fan of Mikan at first, but she's really starting to grow on me. Throwing them all out the window and the followup was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Captain Invictus posted:

Jesus christ what an incredible chapter

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, even having an idea that was gonna happen, it was still amazing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So many :cripes: in that chapter. He really should have abandoned him when he got the chance.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
If the exaggerated faces pop up at the comedy moments, I think it could work....

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, as Rodyle pointed out, this was how she was first introduced.

I'm gonna wait for the PV before I'll judge.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The struggle of a girl and her fishing bait

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Something to note, the director is the same one as Servant x Service and Squid Girl 2, so dude knows his comedy.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just assumed that Jojo and Fate will top the lists again, but I'll be very sad if Shirobako isn't number one.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That was fantastic! Eye screams for all! :3:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The argument is basically done, but Ah My Goddess is considered a harem when all of 1 girl, maybe 2 if you want to stretch it were into the dude. So yeah, an guy/girl surrounded by the opposite gender is the definition of a harem.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ironic too considering Ah My Goddess is one of the staple ones where a lot of cliches got copied. Most of the other cliches probably came from Urusei Yatsura and Ranma.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Wittgen posted:

The major difference between Asahi and the protagonists of other harem comedies is that Asahi knows who he wants to be with.

This is only true half the time though. A good chunk of protagonists do know who they want to be with, and either don't due to contrived circumstances or they're very dumb. It's a pretty common premise where there's a girl the dude likes, and then a bunch more girls pop up that confuses the issue, examples including Nisekoi, To-love-ru, etc. Urusei Yatsura practically started off that way before Takahashi realized that Lum was the better pairing.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 2, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

YF19pilot posted:

Oh, you mean like "tropers"?

Crap, I need to take a shower now, try to wash off the shame.

My shame is knowing I've read too many harem manga, most of them mediocre or bad. They're all just RomComs with slightly convoluted love triangles though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I remember like 1 other harem manga that I liked reading for awhile. Umi no Misaki or whatever. At some point I just stopped reading and then got too lazy to figure out where I left off but apparently poo poo got sorta dark before concluding with a harem ending?

Yeah pretty much. I didn't actually like that one that much, but I wasn't a big fan of Ai Yori Aoshi either.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nate RFB posted:

Eeeeeh I know this argument has been kind of beaten into the ground already but I'd say it's a stretch with AMG, it really was more usually just called a romantic comedy. It had a semblance of a single love triangle with the MC for maybe 5 years of its 26 year run.

True, though arguably its early chapters did end up influencing the genre. That it became its own thing isn't too odd since it was one of the early ones before the formula was more solidified.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Wark Say posted:

This is a dumb conversation... and not cute at all! :colbert:

Make it cute and you can continue with the back and forth between the Harem / Not Harem camps.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just keep reading and you won't be disappointed.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Looks good, anime is saved again

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ah, okay. So it's just generic harem story that happens to be the most popular at the moment, which makes it a convenient target for people who dislike the cliches of harem manga.

It's managed to hit every single cliche you can think of, and it's still hitting more as time goes on. Can't speak for the anime though other than Shaft does it with their unique style.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I love this panel, just for the implied story it tells.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

I can't stop laughing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm already laughing from page 1

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Xelkelvos posted:

Youko wants Asahi's Delicious blood

That's vampire kissing if I remember right? Well it was a thing Youko said lovers do.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm not going to get tired of that punchline.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I cracked up at every transition of Youko

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

That chapter was utterly insane. Stark raving mad.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chumbler posted:

I agree that the future must be changed.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tarage posted:

BTW we still have two more chapters in the Shiho arc, and then an "epilogue" of sorts.

I hope they change the Shima future

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Covok posted:

That sounds...horrible, but intriguing. Like a trainwreck or the 2016 American election.

It's actually pretty sad, since his wife kidnapped their daughter and tried to take a lot of money from him, as well as having an affair. Also somewhat messy since the Onedera of that series is based off his wife, so that character's focus dropped a lot around that period. The series basically ended because he had to focus on taking care of his kid by himself. And now he's back with drawing a monthly series for a paycheck, and less limits on what he can draw.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The kidnapping was literal. The stealing money was both literal and legal, cause she grabbed his credit cards when she took their daughter, and then demanded money from him in exchange for his right to custody of their daughter.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tarezax posted:

I'm dead

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Gonna have to agree with the editor on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Future Nagisa seems fine, I'm sure it'll be ok.

• Locked thread