Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:siren: Volume 1 now available in English on Amazon! :siren:

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa, or My Monster Secret in the English version, is a high school romcom/harem series by Masuda Eiji, and seems to be their first major work to run for more than five volumes. It follows a cast of total dorks in high school, including a vampire, an alien/frankenstein, a demon, a werewolf, and other supernatural creatures-turned-highschoolers. The takes on these characters are fantastic, and the humor is great. Vampires don't disintegrate when exposed to sunlight for example, they just get really, really bad tans. Fanservice is next to nonexistent as well which is a plus(outside of one character, whose entire MO is fanservice).

Meet Asahi Kuromine. He's you're typical oblivious harem protagonist, a Tenchi-type, sans ancient alien superpowers. He is The Man Who Cannot Lie.

Kuromine has a crush on Youko Shiragami.

Shiragami's a quiet, attractive girl in his class. She also happens to be a vampire. If her secret is ever found out, her father, a vampire lord, will force her to return home. This becomes a problem when the likes of Akemi Mikan, the sadistic school reporter and childhood friend of Kuromine, takes an interest in her.

Nagisa Aizawa keeps her in line as the class rep, but also has her own share of secrets. She's a space alien piloting a "giant" robot version of herself.

Eventually more characters show up to complicate things, including Shiragami's childhood friend, Shirou. They are a werewolf. Shirou is one of my favorite characters in the series.

This series formerly dwelled in the Surreal Daily Life manga thread, but it's honestly so abnormally fantastic for such a tired premise that I decided to make a thread for it. It's a silly, hilarious romp, for sure, and all of the major characters get plenty of time in the spotlight and lots of character development/humor. If nothing else, the series is fantastic for the character development, surprises, and humor. And the faces, oh the faces.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh boy oh boy, a new chapter!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Jitsu-wa-Watashi-wa/Vol-004-Ch-026--Just-Accept-It-?id=202920

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That one face of horror the principal makes might be my favorite one of the entire series so far.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Every chapter is just so fun. I can't wait for this to get an anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Jitsu-wa-Watashi-wa/Vol-004-Ch-033--See-you-?id=205328

New chapter. It's super cute for almost all involved, and genuinely hilarious as usual.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

The emphasized "Dumb" is basically the most accurate possible description of this series. It's also good that it looks like Shiho will be getting a rival of sorts, as she has generally felt kind of disconnected.

Yeah, her own granddaughter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

If you're referring to the similar poses, I think every volume cover is like that.
I'm more referring to the militant anti-pervert stance combined with her eyes having that "mischievous little gremlin" look that Shiho often has.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

vkeios posted:

You know, I just realized Rin's grandmother wears the same lopsided belt over her school uniform. Has for the entire series, in fact.

Oda does it again!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If we're really still behind like 30+ chapters from the current one in Japan, then it wouldn't surprise me really if he DID get together with someone by then and it continued on. Seems like it'd just lead to more shenanigans rather than less

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was literally thinking the same thing about cloning him actually. I can't see any other outcome that would leave everyone happy :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Considering she literally just apologized because she CAN'T, I'm not so sure

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chapter 49

Kind of an intense chapter but still funny :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, you gotta remember, when she's just loving around like 99% of the time, she's not actually trying. When she's serious, get the gently caress outta there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus christ what an incredible chapter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's the little things like future girl buttoning up Shirou's shirt while Shirou is unbuttoning the ones she'd just buttoned at the bottom that I love. There's no real need for it but it's added in for comedic value. Reminds me of One Piece's background gags.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, that's a good thread title if a mod could change it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The ":cripes: there are more of them" had me chortling

Such a good chapter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New chapter! Hahaha, I love this new character :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Only three chapters in and she's already fantastic. :allears:

Tons of great faces this chapter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If I didn't have this sweet avatar I'd absolutely take that face as mine

Or just a rotating slide of various Truthism faces, really

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The important part is it's comedy first and foremost, and harem like, third or fourth. Hell, half the cast isn't even interested in Asahi at all, and Shiro's sexual harassment is more to annoy him than actual interest.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish they used Shirou more since I feel he is too underutilized and is pretty goofy in his own right, but that would mean less Shiho and that's no good.

Shirou is like a nuclear option. Only brought out in times of the direst need.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HellCopter posted:

Good news!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-26/vampire-romantic-comedy-manga-jitsu-wa-watashi-wa-gets-tv-anime/.83703

I can only pray a good studio is behind it. I was burned once when the AssClass anime sucked, and I don't want it to happen again.

PARTYYYYYYYY!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'd say it was one of the best chapters in a while but they've all been so good almost without exception that it was merely above average as far as this series goes.

(so good)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kidcoelacanth posted:

loving get together already, christ.

This is probably not the manga you're looking for for actual story and relationship resolution

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the title is way better than Truthism or The Truth Is I Am or whatever other titles people have come up with.

Excited for this, even if it's a year away what

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hell yeah :getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also an anime just got greenlit, so, you know

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
NEWWWWWWWWWW CHAPTAAAAHHHHHHHH

edit: I've only just begun and it's already solid gold

WAIT, SWERVE :stare:

GOOD CHAPTER :swoon:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 4, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey can we leave as yet untranslated stuff out of this thread please? As great as the teacher grimace was, I still would've preferred to find that when I read the chapter itself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

John Carstairs posted:

Spoiler alert: :siren:Everyone's still dumb.:siren:
Hey that's great and all but it would've seriously reduced the impact of recent events if it'd been shared like two volumes ago itt

Doesn't the One Punch Man by Murata thread have the thing where you're not allowed to talk about the original OPM because it's further ahead? Same principle, except with untranslated chapters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What you prefer is not what everyone prefers. If someone wants to see what's coming up, there's google and plenty of places to find the raws. I'd rather not have to dodge spoiler tag minefields, thanks for understanding.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ActionZero posted:

Oh my god.

I can't.

This was everything I dreamed of when I saw that spoiler panel and so much more.

I am the dead.

Yeah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's no zombie person yet. Maybe Oka's the one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cake Attack posted:

i was kinda distracted while reading it but that chapter barely made any sense

Do not multitask, you are not good at it apparently

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

yessss

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terper posted:

So turns out it might be the ED, not the OP. Whatever.

Here's chapter 80!

Good for you, Aizawa. :unsmith: That was a phenomenal confession.

Link's dead

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Must've been a hiccup, it works now.

:3::3::3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cake Attack posted:

it's totally a harem dude

A harem of three characters? What a weak-rear end harem. Just because the cast is primarily female and there's romance doesn't mean that it's necessarily a harem. There's like 10 girls and 2 of them are actually seriously going for asahi, with a third Cobra Commandering it up in the background.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 2, 2015

• Locked thread