Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was a play through of one of the early Genesis Sonic games (Almost certainly 1 or 2, maybe 3) that was frequently recommended. It was from a compilation that added an easy mode, and the commentator was just really laid back, I know it was recommended several times in the last version of this thread, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squish posted:

Are Dead to Rights and Devil May Cry 3 working for anyone else? Both gave me Video Not Found errors.
Try these
Dead to Rights

DMC3

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Epee Em posted:

I'll toss in some of my favorite screenshot LPs. I've found that since many these days associate "Let's Play" with VLPs by default, SSLPs are a good 'icebreaker' to introduce people to the medium. Not helped by YouTube one bit, I'm sure seeing yet another horrible facecam VLPer on the "Recommended" list is a quick way to create the view that that's what LPing is. Plenty of excellent VLPs here already, so it goes with

While more attention to good sslp's is great, I don't think a single thing in the OP has a face cam.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Just thought I should mention that MDickie isn't a Fundamentalist. He seems to believe in some odd flavor of New Age Unitarianism, though he's still a smug rear end in a top hat who reads some very zany ideas into both the Bible and the Koran.

If Jesus is the son of god in the game, he's not a Unitarian. He could be some other weird protestant sect though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WindmillSlayer posted:

Are there any LPs I can watch that will make me question my entire existence like the movie Trainspotting or Requiem for a Dream? I ask as I just recently finished reading Kafka's Das Schloss and am looking for something perhaps a little easier to digest but still meaningful way to spend my Wednesday(That's tomorrow).

Have you tried a debilitating heroin addiction? Because that seems like a quicker route.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fedule posted:

I am greatly enjoying Lt. Danger's Mass Effect 3 LP, mostly on account of its highly analytical commentary, focusing on story themes and game design elements etc as they come up in the game rather than just being an "Informative LP" (not that an "informative LP" is a bad thing, but this is something else).

Besides recommending it here, I'd also like to know if there are any other particularly good LPs out there in the same vein.

In addition to KOTOR2, Lt. Danger's LP of Neverwinter Nights 2, and more especially Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer have some drat good analysis of what's happening in the game on a thematic level.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Is there someone who isn't the RunButton guys? They're kind of crap at LPing games that are thematic.

Voidburegers lp of Shattered memory is mostly her and guests taking the piss out of a dumb game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

My idea was to replace all of the music with sublime and Ska music while getting blazed.

Have any good Video LP's ended recently? (last month or so.)

The most recent Sonic 2006 lp is about to end. It's by someone whose already played the game a bunch, and it's all post-commentary, so it's the closest to a skill run as you're likely to get for that game. I think the perfect platinum Bayonetta lp ended recently too (might be longer than a month ago) and that ones great. I'm on my phone so links are hard, but they shouldn't be too hard to track down. The Sonic one is almost always on the first 3 pages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

They are very good at being white noise, though, so they have some merit.

I can't watch them play games with puzzles. I understand that having a conversation while playing a game is distracting, but at a certain point I want to yell at the screen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, complex puzzle games like Mario in Time.

It was one of the Yoshi's Island videos that broke me, maybe it's because I've played the game, but they did everything they could, aside from figuring out how to get into a door they saw a thousand times before and completely ignored, for an entire video.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ApeHawk posted:

Well, he's anti-GG, so he's at least better than all THOSE guys.

Really, the only bad thing you can say about him is he's a manchild who's bad at games.

This is a thread about recommending LPs, so in that context that's a pretty damning complaint.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

The greatest LP I've ever seen is still Trespasser by "Research Indicates", and that came out more than 6 years ago. It was like watching a fascinating documentary that covered everything about the history of the game. Since then, it's been difficult to find an LP as thoroughly entertaining.

Basically, I'm looking for an LP that is extremely good. Any game, I don't care. Preferably, I'm looking for something in the same style as Trespasser. Something that covers the history of the game's production, facts about game mechanics, etc. I just like learning about interesting behind-the-scenes stuff, I guess.

It's sort of the opposite direction of what you're asking about, but Geop's LPs of the Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2 get heavy into the real life history of the eras those games take place in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

slowfreq posted:

are there any good LPs of popular games that use a restriction rules (e.g. ocarina of time without opening any doors, mario 64 without pressing the a button)?

There are play throughs of Super Mario World and SM3 where they don't use any power-ups. Theyre on the LP archive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stux posted:

want funny screenshot lp of games that are CrAzY. go.
http://lparchive.org/Gazillionaire-Deluxe/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stux posted:

sorry after thinking on it further I'm not going to read anything any of you have linked me because i remembered that lets plays are dumb, apologies *bows out of thread*

Go gently caress yourself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

supermikhail posted:

Can anyone recommend me a video LP by a person of female persuasion? The voice is what mainly matters to me, and I'd prefer something not too high, if possible... Oh, I've remembered Saints Row 2 which contains Panzer Skank and that might work, although I didn't really enjoy the LP for LP's sake last time I tried it. But that might be even for the best in this case.

Preferably completed, or at least with a lot of videos.

There's that blind LP of Ocarina of Time. But your first sentence is super creepy sounding, so I don't know if I want to give you a link.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Imightberusty posted:

My favorite KC guest spot of all time has gotta be his stream with Chip playing Simpsons Hit and Run. It's got a ton of views, so I'm sure everyone's seen it already, but maybe just watch it again 'cause it's really funny. Everything on Kamoc's page is great too.

I'm looking for LP's with a lot of vocal commentary that can be taken on its own, with or without the video. Basically, I load LP's and podcasts onto my phone before work so I have something other than music to listen to. Sometimes I can watch the video, but more often than not I'm helping a customer or doing something (i work alone, so I can listen to something while i'm busy). LP's that work for this are a lot of supergreatfriend's stuff, rongpuraes (but not really regular RPs, since a lot of the jokes reference things happening on screen), Chip and Ironicus.

Those are the big ones, while a couple I would suggest for this are Zemalf and Unfair Plus. I know Zemalf was getting some flak earlier in the thread for the XCOM LP, and I never thought about tampering when it came to those incredibly lucky shots he was making, so that's something to think about when it comes to the rest of his content. I got into LP's on youtube, and he was one of the first serious ones that I found, so I think that's why I still watch his stuff, honestly. It's informative, and whether or not that information is entertaining to you is pretty subjective. If you like a soothing eastern european voice though, it's really hard to deny that he's got that. Unfair Plus is in the archive and I like everything I've seen so far. Deus Ex is of course his specialty and he covers it quite well, but the Chronicles of Riddick and Dishonored LP's are nice too. If you're looking for a chill guy to listen to, Unfair is really cool, and he lets the game breathe which I think is important for a chillp

I know you need decent commentary for a good LP, but sometimes reactions to visual stuff are a big part of it and I don't want to miss big chunks of funny stuff at work. Anything y'all can suggest? Oh, and streams are cool too.

Run Button spend very little time talking about what's on screen. It also just sounds like you're looking for just normal podcasts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Any good LP's of Max Payne 1 or 2? Especially something humorous?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's it, I've been looking for this for a while too, thanks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GMArcturus posted:

Is there a good (as in humorous) VLP of the Resident Evil series either here or on Youtube?

I think this one was pretty good, http://lparchive.org/Resident-Evil-5/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

So I've watched all of JordanKai's stuff, all of SlowBeefs Stuff, All of Chip and Ironicus' stuff. I'm now out of stuff. Any other groups that are good, with the same energy?

(Seen PokeCapn stuff as well.)

I don't know if there's a retsuprae thread I never see, but I like that and only discovered by accident that it's also Slowbeef and Diabetus commenting on games. Specifically it's them commenting on terrible games usually played by other people, though SlowBeef did just finish a playthrough himself of Sonic 06 that by the end of it they both seemed completely drained of hope or mirth. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why he stopped being the mod for this sub forum.

While I'm here, is there a decent VLP of the Quest for Glory series? I'm reading a screen shot one that's decent, but those old Sierra games really need the animations with someone explaining why they are doing the poo poo they are doing. All thepuzzles have a logic to them, even if that logic is from someone taking a lot of drugs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Geop posted:

Kaz played the first one earlier this year, but it's not on the Archives, it seems.

I was actually just about to recommend that one, except I couldn't remember who did it. I will second this, it's great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Are there any good LPs of Star Wars: The Old Republic?

The MMORPG? I didn't hate the screen shot one that popped up awhile ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is there a good Total War: Warhammer LP where they play as a non human? I'm digging the Many a True Nerd one, but it's made me super curious about the weirder races.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Can anyone suggest a good LPer to watch play the Dark Souls/Demons Souls/Bloodborne series? Someone who isn't loud or obnoxious, has a good voice, and is more informative than wacky? I like watching people figure stuff out as they go but also have interesting things to say about the game.

Geops blind play is the gold standard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm trying to find the "no hero" run of Zelda: Twilight Princess or really any Twilight Princess run that's good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Alternatively - recommend an LP with lots of bad/terrible cutscenes, much like that Ride to Hell Retribution game.

Retsuprae has a bunch of lovely FMV games Dracula Unleashed is a relatively recent and shorter one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lethemonster posted:

I looking for some more LPs similar to Doctor Kill's Let's Play Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask super wrong and the Majoras mask randomizer.

I think its specifically the aspect of being interesting/informative the whole way through. There's no down time where people are just trying to think of the next joke.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but if you want to see someone break a Zelda game in half using a hilarious bug constantly and crafting a narrative around it

http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Links-Awakening/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leon Cross posted:

Any good "in character" Let's Plays?

I've recently been enjoying the Krillian Play's that TFS puts out, and was wondering if anyone else does anything similar (without it sucking rear end, anyways).

Phone posting so linking is a bitch and a half, but Google "Goldvision Pacifist GTA" he tries to attempt to play GTA 5 multiplayer without hurting anyone or littering.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 15, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TIE Fighter is the only good LP.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

All three threads really deserve to be goldmined. Seeing the observer thread react to my villain turn was fantastic. I actually kind of had a panic attack half way through thinking "oh my god, do people actually hate me? Did they not get the joke?" but the shock kind of wore off after about a day or two. Plus I think I netted the single best probate reason in forums history for it.

I hope this opens the door to more experimental, chaotic community-based LPs. When they work like FPS, they're fantastic experiences for everyone involved.

You should have been perma-banned.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I miss the 6 month rule on LPs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

I don't know if I asked this before, but if I do I don't remember so

Monster Hunter LPs?

Never played a Monster Hunter game, but this one has been pretty entertaining.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785058

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Galick posted:

Anyone got any LPs that I could have on in the background? Preferably with a group with good chemistry, though not Chip's or the sonic crew's. I've watched most of theirs already!

Genre of the game doesn't matter too much, I mostly just want some entertaining background noise.

Retsuprae is pretty good for that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DumbRodent posted:

This is about the loosest definition of a Let's Play possible but Petscop is a thing you might wanna check out. More of a Ben Drowned haunted cartridge story presented as a VLP. He seems to have made the game from scratch for this purpose.

What're you talking about, it's just an alpha copy of an unfinished game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

There's a couple of KotOR LPs in the archive, but they're VLPs.

Also, I know this doesn't exactly help you right now, but for my next project once I'm done with The Witcher (which, at this rate, should be sometime before the year 2177) I'm taking another stab at that KotOR SSLP I had to abandon two years ago. Theoretically I could start on that right now and I'd actually love to, but since I'm already working on two notoriously LP-unfriendly RPGs -- The Witcher and Persona 2: Innocent Sin -- I don't exactly want to burn myself out. (EDIT: That being said, it is mighty tempting and I do have my workflow pretty much perfected by this point, plus it is a game I know like the back of my hand... aw gently caress, I'm going to make the thread sooner rather than later, aren't I? :shepface:)

Was yours the one with the mod to make blasters look like Tommy guns? I liked that lp.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fedule posted:

Some LP recommendations by way of Kotaku.

How many of those are goons? Because I know at least 2 of the first 3 are.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically that whole first generation of big LP'ers have abandoned SA. Slowbeef and Diabetus are gone, ProtonJon's gone, Geop's gone, the Freelance Astronauts are done, Chip and Ironicus are kinda gone.

Lotta talent (and ProtonJon) there just... gone. drat.

Chip and Ironicus have a thread going right now and they just finished another one. LPing is a lot easier when it's you hanging out in a dorm with a couple microphones, when you have lives and jobs it gets harder.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pierzak posted:

What are the others?

The Paradox forums have a bunch of AARs (after action reports) which are mostly screenshots and text.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TheMcD posted:

Or pictures that aren't screenshots and text, which seems to be more strange historical fiction than any sort of LP equivalent. Like, three paragraphs of text, then a picture of a boat. Then three paragraphs of text, then a picture of some soldiers. That kind of thing.

Yeah, the Paradox forums community can be a bit, uhm, let's say "eccentric."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Any decent Horizon: Zero Dawn playthroughs?