Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
BCV: Battle Construction Vehicles is exactly as it sounds, gameplay-wise. Story-wise, it's on a whole other level, starting with the fact that a game about people fighting each other with construction vehicles even has a story in the first place. It starts off crazy and just gets crazier from there. And the voice acting is top notch as expected from a budget PS2 game. Volcano Style just hit what's probably the craziest update yet in it, and it's sort of amazing what a game about battling construction vehicles can pull off story-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Stelas posted:

(If you have archives, make sure to read this one.)

Truly the best game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

What are some interesting SSLPs that are on the shorter side? Looking for something comedic. Maybe narrative, maybe not? Narrative LPs are a lot more hit and miss with me.

My favorite SSLPs in the archives, to note, are the Monster Rancher ones, which are both narratives and comedic!

As mentioned a few posts up, Legie is a short, bizarre game with a weird translation and an even weirder story.

Speaking of short, bizarre games with weird translations and even weirder stories, I'd also recommend Jesus: Kyofu No Bio Monster, a rather crazy NES adventure game done by Quovak that weirdly has nothing to do with Christianity at all despite having a spaceship named Jesus, but rather about...I don't even know.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Teddybear posted:

Are there LPs of horror games that aren't in and of themselves scary? I'm a big dork and can't handle scary games (or movies or whatever :ohdear:).

There's horror games made significantly less scary thanks to The Dark Id, like the Resident Evil games and Clock Tower 3.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can't be a true LP superstar unless you're humble as gently caress.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I plan to do a narrative screenshot Let's Play of Halo 2 soon. I plan to write all the dialogue in Ye Olde English except for Master Chief, who will be a pirate.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've still got hopes that Richard Gamingo will catapult to LP superstardom.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Stux posted:

want funny screenshot lp of games that are CrAzY. go.

Jesus: Kyōfu No Bio Monster by Quovak. The name alone should be reason enough to entice you to read it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

What's the most Christmas-themed LP's you can think of? Screenshot or video are fine. I'm fine with (and encourage) loose arguments as to what makes a LP a Christmas LP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

As a request what is Retsupraes best stuff? Some of it is lame but there are some good things as well

My favorites include the BillyMC/TheLimePopsicle videos, a lot of the Retsufrash stuff, and lots of random LP mockery (ElectricalBeast, MageKnight404, the videos where the LPer's computer struggles to run the game at single-digit FPS). The Trapped games are great, especially the second one with its horrible puzzles, and as for Long Plays I'd say Kings Quest V and VI and Hopkins P.I. are more consistently entertaining since there's not as much dead space as the other Long Plays (though Darkseed II was entertaining partly because of the long player's insane thoroughness becoming a running gag).

e: The Negotiator videos are also great since the characters are ridiculous and the guy writing them clearly has no idea what he's talking about as far as actual negotiation goes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thoughtless posted:

So, I want some LPs of awful games, ideally with solo commentary, MassRafTer's Superman 64 LP being a great example. If the person actually gets angry or frustrated that's a bonus, as long as it doesn't get to Pewdiepie levels.

LPs of awful games where the person/people try to be positive (Supergreatfriend being an example) are also good.

If you don't mind it being a screenshot LP, Quovak's LPs of the first two Golden Sun games do a great job ripping apart everything that's wrong with those two games, while also offering ways they could have been improved. Great read.

As for positive spins on bad games, the Men Drinkin' Coffee generally do just that, with my favorite in particular being Ride to Hell: Retribution.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is there any good Final Fantasy XIV LP's anywhere? I know MMO's are probably not the best type of game to LP but it seems like an interesting game that I have no intention of actually playing so I want to see what it's like.

CrashScreen was doing one but it hasn't been updated since the end of last year. Only covers the first ten or so levels so it doesn't really get into the cool stuff, but it shows off a good amount and has some interesting comparisons to XIV 1.0.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Imightberusty posted:

I'm looking for LP's with a lot of vocal commentary that can be taken on its own, with or without the video. Basically, I load LP's and podcasts onto my phone before work so I have something other than music to listen to. Sometimes I can watch the video, but more often than not I'm helping a customer or doing something (i work alone, so I can listen to something while i'm busy). LP's that work for this are a lot of supergreatfriend's stuff, rongpuraes (but not really regular RPs, since a lot of the jokes reference things happening on screen), Chip and Ironicus.

A lot of the Pen and Paper RPG LP's work well for that since many if not all can be done audio-only. There's the old Let's Play Dungeons and Dragons (Part One and Part Two, plus copies of their [/url=http://kisamayatsu.com/letsplay/dnd2/]OP's[/url]), there's a current one. and there's a solid thread for The 13th Age. There's a lot more good ones out there I haven't had a chance to check out either.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The two other popular glitch LP's I know of are Elephantgun's run of Final Fantasy VI and Metroixer's run of Pokemon Blue, both fantastic reads.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fedule's the mod listed in your rap sheet, dude. Complain to him, not us.

On a more on-topic note, I'm greatly enjoying Coolguye and co's LP of Majesty - are there any other LPs where a group of LPers pass around a savegame while playing it? I know there aren't many games like Majesty out there, but I'm looking for anything similar in the style of LPers commentating on how each other plays the game differently while showing off the game. (And not Dwarf Fortress, I know about the Dwarf Fortress LPs)

Don't think this LP has the various LPers comment on each others' commentary styles, but there's a SSLP of Live a Live where different LPers do each chapter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

People often forget (but I won't let them) that Valkhorn is immortalized on the LPArchive with seven of their LPs: http://lparchive.org/author/valkhorn

Ballance is Valkhorn's best.

That's seven more than Richard Gamingo.

Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Princey posted:

Speaking of DoctorKill's LPs, which I've been enjoying a lot, does anyone have any other glitch LPs to recommend? I've read Let's Horribly Break Pokemon Blue on the archive, too, and that one's also entertaining.

Speedrun-oriented videos that slow down enough to explain the tricks they're pulling off would probably scratch the itch, too.

In addition to those mentioned, Elephantgun has a great glitch LP of Final Fantasy VI that's worth checking out. The final update in particular has a really cool twist if you're familiar with the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Many LPs go into why the LPer likes/hates/is interested in X game, but what LPs really delve into what makes a game good/bad/interesting?

As an example, two of my favorite LPs like this are Quovak's Golden Sun and Chrono Trigger LP's. In the former, he delves into all the many reasons the game and story are flawed, even offering suggestions on how to improve it, while the latter has him focusing on everything he feels the game does right. I guess I'm looking for in-depth discussion on the merits of game design and why certain games stand out the way they do, a bit more depth than "Holy poo poo look at how bad this game is" (though definitely not knocking those since those kinds of LPs are usually hilarious and entertaining as hell) and more "Here is why that game is bad" (or good or whatever).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Then there was a lot of weird Mario with various secrets and juices, but Chocolate Secret isn't old enough to have been on google video.

Chocolate Secret's still worth watching though if you haven't already.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend some great Let's Play meltdowns?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

What kind of meltdowns? Like in thread or in the LP itself?

Either/or, I'm not picky, Youtube or other off-site LPs also welcome obviously. Also, good stuff so far!

e: Haha, so many people defending DC in that Knytt Stories thread too. Wouldn't see that these days.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 3, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

might be wrong posted:

Any video lps of funny people playing bad games? Or just any really funny lps in general?

I really like stuff like C&I, retsupurae, and men drinking coffee, and someone recommended Vicas's Mario 64 lp and that was pretty good too. Any ideas? People keep posting about Saints Row 2 but that one doesn't really do it for me.

If you like the Mario 64 LP, you might also like Dazzling Addar's Donkey Kong 64 LP since it's the same people.

There's also the Sonic 2006 LP by pokecapn and crew (assuming you haven't already seen the retsupurae version), and for not-so-bad games there's also Mario Party and LoZ: Four Swords Adventures.

I'm also a fan of Pork Lift and wateyad, though their games haven't been so bad. They've done The Last Story and Final Fantasy XIII.

A few years ago SuperGraffiti and MoominBiscuit did a great LP trying various budget PS2 titles. Most of the videos in the OP (requires Archives) are now dead, but backups exist on Youtube.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

oh, that's still going? I thought it ended a while ago

It's pretty much done, but a couple of people are still updating slowly and I'm not really in a rush to end it as long as people still want to update. Plus it may pick back up with new runs soon since we're getting close to Four Job Fiesta season.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

What are some LPs where at least one of the LPers hates what they're doing? Not hating the game they're doing or an exaggerated "OH WHY AM I DOING THIS," but a LP where a person clearly doesn't want to be there and has open disdain for what they're doing?

I personally love when Lowtax appeared in a couple of Khad's videos in one of his LP's (one and two) and completely mocks him at every opportunity.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Streaming's really taken off now. There's also no more three-month rule (since that line was getting blurry anyway with stuff like Early Access) or Pokemon ban (since who cares). We can embed webm's now, though that doesn't really affect too much. Thanks to stuff like GIFCam, there's a lot more GIFs and animations in general in SSLPs.

There's definitely more tools available to make creating a high-quality LP easier, but at the same time the community's become more lax here as well. Not to say the general quality of the LPs here have fallen, it's just now people are more forgiving if your LP has a few minor flaws here and there (being entertaining helps, of course).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Verranicus posted:

I've been getting way into speedrun races and such like RPG Limitbreak and Games Done Quick where super knowledgeable guys try to beat games (primarily RPGs) as fast as they can, but I was curious if you goons knew of any similar formatted stuff that wasn't necessarily speedrunning. As in, either races between people playing through RPGs/Strategy games or runs done by really knowledgable and preferably not annoying.insufferable people.

If you don't mind SSLP's, Orange Fluffy Sheep's LPs usually involve breaking RPGs in half in a myriad of wonderful ways and showing off how he does it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Allstone posted:

I've just read The Dark Id's LP of Drakenguard and I've got a hankering, so can anyone recommend me some good LPs of bafflingly/humorously bad games? Either screenshot or video is fine

How about more from The Dark Id? Drakengard 2 is even worse, Dirge of Cerberus is a pretty terrible sequel that ruins most of the goodwill it has from being a FF7 sequel, and of course there's Limbo of the Lost, one of the worst and most baffling games I've ever seen.

I'm also a big fan of Quovak's LP of the first two Golden Sun games where he really goes into detail on just how terrible those two games are.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

AMReese posted:

I already did that before asking, but I'll think on it.

Watch them all at the same time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Replace the audio with lovely MIDI covers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Podcasts are here.

The 13th Age is also pretty solid from what I've listened to, not sure whether it's still ongoing but either way it has a pretty large backlog if you're looking for a lot of content.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Aafter posted:

I take it there's no FFXV LP yet?

I was going to do one but then I couldn't find any half-assed RPG Maker games called Final Fantasy XV. :smith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They haven't posted a lot of stuff on here lately, but pretty much everything is on their Youtube channel and is worth watching.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Princey posted:

Reporting in to say I've read and enjoyed the FFV and Digimon World LPs and will probably start in on FFT soon. Thanks!

Add the FFTA one to the list while you're at it.

Hell, all of OFS's LPs in general should fill what you're looking for.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Hi, I'm looking for a LP group that runs bad games blind, filled with incompetent boobery, preferably in a streaming format that is later cut into smaller digestible videos?

I don't think any such group exists.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

judge reinhold posted:

That guy was cool. I miss people like that. Came around, wasn't sure how to be entertaining or play a video game. Spent money to promote his channel I guess? drat, good times.

The LP forum has gone downhill ever since we lost him and Richard Gamingo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's been recommended already, but the Rock Paper Scissors thread is so good we actually goldmined it. So if you haven't read it yet, what are you waiting for?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I put the two team threads in Comedy Purgatory as well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I miss the 6 month rule on LPs

Wait six months to watch/read the LP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Can I get some recommendations of LPs where the game itself is totally crazy (and potentially story heavy) in some sense - be it really out-there or just plain nonsense - and the LPer is pretty chill and is willing to let the game speak for itself for the most part?

I think MeccaPrime's Link's Awakening Let's Play counts here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Obligatory Men Drinkin' Coffee mention.