Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Heffer posted:

Geop's Assassin's Creed LPs make learning crusade era history both fun and bloody. You put a lot of effort into them, and it shows.

There's a category that's missing. Edutainment. Geop's Assassin's Creed LPs, Zorak's Endless Ocean 1 LP (why in the watery world isn't that on the archive), and I think there's another that I'm forgetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Wasn't there a thread for Drakhhen at some point? Did it ever get finished/anyone have a link to it?

Couple years ago, and abandoned right near the end judging by the update titles. Need archives to view.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Wasn't that a video LP? Mind linking their channel for me? Don't got archives.

It was on Viddler and then Blip, each of which has apparently deleted their half of the videos in the two years since. Sorry. Unless Clark_Mk_IV still has copies of them lying around somewhere (doubtful), consider it lost.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

What's up with Valkhorn anyway? I've only seen parts of his Ballance LP and it seemed okay. Not especially good but from the way people talk about him he seems like he's either a poo poo LPer or a poo poo guy.

I can't speak for anyone else, or if he's improved since then, but back when I checked him out his extremely low energy commentary went beyond relaxing to anesthetizing. I don't recall if the content of the commentary was boring as well or if his voice made even interesting things seem boring, but either way I never looked twice.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Whenever someone says chill, I always think medibot playing Kirby.

Kirby 64
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star (co-op with MyNameIsKaz, very recommended if Viddler hasn't eaten it Edit: archive.org is awesome)
Kirby's Epic Yarn

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 5, 2015

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I've been sick lately so I'm looking for good, chill LPs that I can just listen to, not watch, while I'm lying down. Any suggestions?

For audio only, I'd recommend Desert Bus. Or possibly possibly one of the various tabletop RPG podcast things.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Edutainment is starting to gain some serious traction too, though it's obviously a lot more effort. Check out Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 by Geop, either of the Endless Ocean LPs by Zorak (can't find them in the LP archive and don't have plat to search the forums), or Bioshock Infinite by Bobbin Threadbare.

For contrast, Assassin's Creed II by RChimpCola shows that you don't need fancy draws like history segments or 100% runs or super game knowledge if you're just funny as all hell. Those guys had me consistently laughing so hard the back of my head would start hurting.

The real thing with making an LP here nowadays is honestly just knowing what not to do, though. Or rather, what will limit your audience, because nothing will shut you off entirely. Some people will see a facecam and immediately turn off the video; some won't care. Some people will hear a racist/sexist joke and immediately turn off a video; some will laugh and keep watching. There's a whole host of things that various people consider no-nos, and I probably couldn't name them all if I tried, but I'd say the best rule of thumb is "would I be ashamed to show this to some random on the street that I'll never meet again". If that's a yes, maybe tweak a thing, otherwise go nuts and have fun. After all, the biggest problem people will get up in arms about is if you sound like you're bored out of your skull while playing a video game. Games are supposed to be fun, and LPing should be fun too. Otherwise, why do it? :)

Oh, and for video hosts, basically everyone's doing YouTube now. It's won't disappear, or murder all your videos for being game footage (most other sites have done one or the other over the years), and the quality's actually gotten pretty good if you upload in 720p or better.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

The bold part is not entirely true. Sometimes the reason is "We play this so you don't have to", or the LPer's pain is the entire reason why the LP stays alive. I know from experience. A painful experience that just keeps dragging on and on and on and on...

That's true, a really bad game can have some serious schadenfreude value. Anger at a bad game, or audible exasperation at a tedious one, or people that get more and more run down as a game drags on all have their merits. I still feel it fair to say that someone who sounds bored as hell throughout usually ends up boring the viewers too though, unless the game itself is interesting enough to hold focus (and even then they're not doing it any favors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I just watched it all right now, and I'm definitely thirding it.