Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I like board games. I like reading about/watching goons play board games. Recommend me some board game LPs please? I read a Risk one before, and also one for Risk Legacy. Beyond that I am not aware of literally any others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Stelas posted:

This topic just came up a while back in the Sandcastle. Most PBP games - those that look for players or aren't 'thorough' enough to be thought of as an LP by whoever's running them - end up in the Game Room under this tag. Alternatively, the Battlestar Galactica thread has a huge archive of past games.

(If you have archives, make sure to read this one.)

Many thanks good Sir, this will keep me happy for a while.

Tendales posted:

There's a great LP of Twilight Struggle going on right now.

This one owns. The press articles are pretty great.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey dudes and dudettes, I want to figure out what this whole Crusader Kings craze is about. I noticed there's a lot of LPs out there. Can someone recommend me one or a few? Ideally one with in-depth rules explanations. I like knowing what's going on.

Edit: also sorry, forgot to mention, I would very much prefer screenshot LPs. I don't think it's a game that's well suited to the video format.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 11, 2015

Dancer
May 23, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Well, there's the CK2 tutorial LP thread, which has a fair share of different LPs with explanations and stuff, however, thanks to Paradox consistently changing the game in some fundamental way with every new DLC they bring out, people have eventually given up, and I believe all LPs there are out of date as of the Charlemagne DLC, not even mentioning Way of Life.

Much obliged. I'll find something to like.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Another question that doesn't really have a good thread: I'm looking at a pretty long journey, and one of the ways I'd like to entertain myself is by reading some screenshot LPs on my phone. Is there any tool out there that might allow me to easily pull a few LPs from the archive? (I have every intention of supporting the site with my ad-views, but I won't have internet)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I use that app sometimes, but I haven't found a way to save stuff for offline viewing. Have I missed something?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Wanna drop a recommendation for Riviera: The Promised Land, simply on account of how loving funny it is. The author re-writes all the dialogue, and they hold no punches when it comes to mocking the game's stupid design decisions, and they're good at it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

TheSoulian posted:

What are some good LPs of really bad games? Like Blaghart's Major/Minor LP.

Depending what you mean by "really bad", this might count:

https://lparchive.org/Avalon-Code/

Dancer
May 23, 2011
One thing you might not expect: there's a pretty long running Skyrim LP in podcast form, so kinda explicitly designed to just need to listen: https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/q8pdx-43a43/Let's+Play+Skyrim+an+audio+Let's+Play

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Old-ish LP of Crackdown:
https://lparchive.org/Crackdown/

The same peeps also did Crackdown 2, but I never got around to watching that one.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826825

It won't blow your mind but it's a solid LP that does all those things you mention.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

What are the best IF LPs? Ongoing, finished, I want something that's mostly text only that I can read.

( I hoped to be able to PM you this but you have them disabled.)

Since text IF is such a rare thing to be LP'd, I will dare to bend a rule by mentioning my own things. Both of those are not necessarily great LPs, but the games themselves are special and I tried to leave them mostly untouched. Both games won some awards of the IF world.

Not Just an Ordinary Ballerina is a stupidly difficult (and at times slightly tedious) puzzle-oriented text IF. You're a parent on Christmas Eve who arrived late to a delapidated shopping mall and is desperate to get their daughter the perfect Christmas present.

Sting of the Wasp is a short and simple game where you play a rather catty and absolutely awful woman in a country club who was caught on camera cheating on her wealthy husband and will now do terrible things to prevent him from seeing that picture.

Both games have IMO great witty writing and are worth reading through even if you ignore my own additions entirely.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
All three LPs by Didja Redo are excellently written, really cute, generally hilarious, and sometimes kinda touching. I recommend Riviera to start with.

https://lparchive.org/author/Didja%20Redo

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bagrada posted:

Any recommended LPs for Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny? Trying to remember how to play Pillars so I can start White March before the sequel hits, and I think I left off 1/3 of the way through Tyranny. I'm probably better off restarting that one but could use the refresher on Pillars.

There is one running right now of PoE that's fairly good and goes in a *lot* of detail, which seems like what you'd want:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841177

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The Dragon Age: Origins that recently ended is not just epic, but it is hillarious through-out.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The Dragon Age: Origins that recently ended is not just epic, but it is hillarious through-out.

e: here's the thread btw.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

2 things.

1. Is the Archive okay? I see plenty of finished LPs not on it. Figured this is the best place to ask.

2. Any good RPG/Story-focused SSLPs in the past year?

The archive is probably ok. A lot of people just don't go through the archiving process, and even when they do, it takes a while for new LPs to get up there.

For 2, look up the page to where I linked the Dragon Age Origins LP, if you missed it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

WampaLord posted:

This dude owns super hard, I hope I'm this awesome when I'm old

ETA: I just watched a Dishonored LP in the archive that was pretty good, anyone got any recommendations for a Dishonored 2 LP?

If the one you liked was Coolguy TheLastRoboky, then they also did Dishonoured 2, with some other people. Can't easily link cuz phonepost.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So, for better or worse, I've experienced Detroit. Can someone recommend me good (either funny, or containing good media commentary) for Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
He only does individual videos, not really complete let's plays, but I really like 8rgk on youtube. He won't satisfy you, but might be enough for an afternoon or two.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Oh, and how could I forget Zaroth. I think he's nice, although not outstanding, and he consistently plays great games (inc Hollow Knight, Iconoclasts, Bayonetta, Teslagrad). His biggest drawback is the lovely mic quality, though it's improved lately.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
And another one I can't "recommend", but I can only assume that old school French Canadian goon favourite Psychedelic Eyeball has some French stuff :v: .

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, so there are obv a lot of Stellaris LPs out there, both on- and off-site, but none of them seem to have clicked with me. My perfect LP would be something a bit informative, with some narrative but not page long prose, and, importantly, funny. I also know how easy it is for these LPs to be lolrandom/wacky funny and I don't like that. Also screeshots, not text-based.

I know that's a lot of demands, but if someone can share something that comes close, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
In no particular order:
The two Didja Redo LPs not currently in the OP are equally perfect.
The "original" Grimrock LP by Iron Chitlin isn't quite "timeless" but it would be great for showing them youngsters what a good LP from back in the day sounded like :v: .
Inferior's current Dragon Age LP recently finished Origins and is hilarious through-out.
Speedball playing Civ V is pretty great.
perochialjoe playing Dishonored is rather alien and can barely be called an LP, but it's something everyone should experience.
The Grim Fandango "movie" that was just mentioned a few posts above is a great presentation of a great game.
For the person who's crazy about mechanics and optimization: Melth's Fire Emblem. Civ2 works too, but FE is nicer.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I keep remerbering LPs I've forgotten...

Sunless Sea by Black Wombat takes a tedious game with an amazing world and presents it very well.

Nethack by Lobster Maneuver is to my knowledge the best roguelike LP for a player who doesn't play roguelikes. Just the right amount of informative detail, with great pacing.

Princess Maker 2 by SynthOrange is a classic, though it's been a long time since I've read it so I'm not sure it holds up.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
There was this off-site Detroid LP that I remembered had 2 distinguishing characteristics: There were at least 3 people running it, and they would each be in charge of one of the main characters, and they re-started and played through the game a second time through. At first I thought it was Men Drinking Coffee, but it turns out they only ran through once. Anyone recognize this?

And while we're at it, I'd appreciate recommendations for a funny take on Heavy Rain.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
That's the one! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyone got a good informative video LP of STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl? I keep bouncing off of the game and I want to learn how to love it.

StrawhatNo did the game, though it's been a long time ago and I was half-asleep while watching. Assuming it's in their usual style, it's about as informative as an LP gets, and reasonably funny.