Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tommofork posted:

There are some really funny moments and some insightful commentary in SW's skyrim lp, but that's offset against long stretches of tedium and the commentators sounding so sick and tired of the game that they'd happily slit their wrists to escape.

Authentic Skyrim experience then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Teddybear posted:

Are there LPs of horror games that aren't in and of themselves scary? I'm a big dork and can't handle scary games (or movies or whatever :ohdear:).

If you're willing to go there, there's always Khad versus Penumbra. Not saying you'd like it, but it sure as hell ain't scary.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sneaky Fast posted:

I very much enjoy games driven by story. I am looking for an LP focusing on a game's unique and quality writing, preferably presented in a fashion which focuses more on the game, and less on the personality of the LPer. The caveat, of course being someone one who can manage both approaches well.

Some examples of Lp's that I very much enjoyed with these qualities are: KOTOR 2, Planescape: Torment, Grim Fandango (VLP), Animal Crossing (Chewbot's warped version) and Deadly Premonition. The focus of each was on story and atmosphere of the game not the mechanic's of playing the game.

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Lt.Danger's Neverwinter Nights 2 LP is pretty drat great. The game's story is generic fantasy but he deconstructs it and analyzes a lot of what makes it tick. And of course, it's just a prelude for its expansion and that's got one amazing plot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
MG2, on the other hand, has some downright awesome bits. Zanzibar poisonous hamsters, anyone?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Are there any good co-op VLPs like Kaubocks' Saints Row 2 LP where the game is broken and glitchy as all hell with hilarious results? Only similar ones I can think of are Mass Effect and Twilight Princess by the Freelance Astronauts. Oh, and the recent LPs by the Men Drinkin' Coffee.

Mercenaries 2 is like that and pretty much my favorite LP of all time. Well, it's not that glitchy, but they break the game in most unexpected ways.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Annihilation's Shadow Warrior LP is amazing and is so good I think I'm going to go beat Shadow Warrior again for the third time, I can't believe a re-make of a racist kung-fu game can have a story THAT good.
I knew I should've gone with something easier to remember, like chrononhotonthologos.

Anyway, what I came to post originally: one of the best LPs of the last couple of months is McKilligan's playhtrough of The Bureau, a severely underappreciated third person shooter spinoff of the X-COM franchise. Thing is, it wasn't always a spin-off. And it didn't have the plot it has. Or the one it had before.
It's co-commentated by one of the developers and it's just fascinating to watch the story behind the game unfold from the glimpses and details we get.
Oh, yeah, and the game is pretty good roo and the LP sold more than a few copies of it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think my main issue with the Run Button LPs is that they tend to not talk about the game... At all. I mean, I'd be all for watching someone figure out Silent Hill and I understand it's hard to stay on topic when you're stuck but as far as I got into that LP(which, admittedly, wasn't too far), the commentary had literally nothing to do with the game.
Different strokes for different folks. Speaking of, there's a recently started LP of Transistor and the game's enough of a treat to watch on its own it doesn't really need much added to it; still, it does a good of providing unintrusive subtitles while being entertaining. I normally don't watch subtitled LPs, but this one is great.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Lt. Danger's Mass Effect 3 is a treat, although it hasn't updated for a while. There's still a whole lot of interesting material to go through.
Not sure whether I'd call that game's story good, but he analyses it from a whole lot of different angles and explains its themes very thoroughly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

want funny screenshot lp of games that are CrAzY. go.

Probably an obvious suggestion, but just about anything by The Dark Id. I'd start with Drakengard.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Does it get better? Because he has spent 5 minutes fighting 3 moles in chapter 2.

EDIT: Not wanting to sound like a jerk. It is a blind LP of Dark Souls, without much editing, and that doesn't seem very engaging.

To be fair if it's the three pig things in the village, those are some tough motherfuckers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

I want to personally track down and punch every single twat who complained about "not being able to die" in the game.
Hey, the thread is full of us.
For an actual recommendation, more people should go watch berryjon's Cataclysm LP. This is the second Homeworld game and an amazingly atmospheric space opera RTS - if you ever thought strategy games and great storytelling don't mesh together, that's the thread for you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really, the man is better than a cushioned hammer soaked in chloroform. I mean, I love Unreal, I played it as a kid, it's so atmospheric, I'm capable of watching the thing without commentary. Valkhorn's take got me snoozing before he got out of the prison ship.

edit: Actually, is there a decent LP of Unreal?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 9, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta recommend Fleve's Revenant LP. It's a very charming action RPG about an undead rear end in a top hat being forced to save a kingdom and not liking it in the slightest. It's surprisingly elaborate and well done for such an obscure title and the commentary is pretty drat great.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Ted posted:

There was also this one by Habermann. You'll need forum archives to access the thread in all its glory, but here's his youtube account if you aren't so lucky.
It's a bit older and offsite, but Evil Tim did one in his impeccable style.
edit: Offsite as in I think he's a goon but didn't post it here.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 2, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Polda 5 is a masterpiece http://www.polda5.cz/

Can we request a Czech LPer in the request thread?
Let me put it this way: I am Czech and I am NOT touching those with a ten foot pole. The development scene here was pretty weird: there was no experience or talent working on game design in the nineties and the only thing that really happened were point-and-click adventures.
Why? They are simple - no need for an engine capable of anything more than scripted events. So there is a rich history of lovely "comedic" adventure games ranging from mid-nineties (which is where the Polda series got started - based on the all-time favorite folk pastime, policeman jokes, then it moved to parodying local celebrities and politicians) to now.
Now, whatever you think about the contemporary "serious" adventure games (and those are indeed horrible because there is not a single competent writer in the entire country) there is one thing to keep in mind: they used to be so. much. worse.

edit: Sorry about the style, turns out battle.net disables the ability of my computer to switch keyboard language to anything with apostrophes.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 13, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They should've released Polda 4, that one is full of Russian jokes. But yeah, I forgot about the VA; the protagonist, for example, is voiced by a comedy actor who specializes in portraying stupidity.

edit: Or was it 5? The one where the Russians build a time machine?
Point is they're games that manage to be both horrible and unfunny and there's really no merit to LP'ing something that missed even its intended audience of one tiny-rear end country.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 17, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Niggurath posted:

I always quite enjoyed Blister's LP of Cyrostasis: http://bd.baldurk.org/lp/20 , or even though it's a flawed game itself,
For an entirely different brand of horror, you could try Khad's take on that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite in that regard is helloitsdan and lithuanian dad's misadventures in blowing up South America.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think this thread is developing the Stockholm syndrome.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the Lizard Wizard saga, starting here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey folks, Lt. Danger's Mass Effect 3 thread is back with a vengeance. He's going for an analytical commentary of the themes present in the game and apparently maintains that the ending that pissed everyone off was a good thing - either way, he's got some really great insights into it. Recommended viewing or rather listening to anyone with the slightest interest in the ideas behind storytelling.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, you'll see it, just not get any explanation for it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC he was doing a parody LP of Fire Emblem but I have no idea what happened to it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's also a decent game I'd love to LP as soon as I gather enough patience to do screenshots.

SelenicMartian posted:

That one was a Polish Resident Evil SRPG. Also, the plot was rewritten for the Russian release so that the team of an American, a Pole and a Frenchman turned into a Russian, a Ukrainian and an Estonian.
Huh. It's like a checklist of countries to take over next.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There was this really chill Minecraft LP but I can't for the life of me remember who did it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

Anyone got a good Alien Isolation LP? I can only find Pewdiepie and pewdiepie clones screaming into the camera and the Yogscast girls.
There's one running here. Haven't watched it so I can't vouch for quality, but goons didn't run him off the site after two pages so I figure it should work.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really can't tell if you're joking or not.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mercs 2 is also the best LP of all time and I will send the address of whoever disagrees to Mattias Nilsson.
Anyway, if it's open-world and high effort you're after, you can always try Geop's AssCreed LPs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Again, Geop's AssCreeds.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Neruz's Total Annihilation series? Mind you, I have no idea how they look to someone who hasn't actually played these games but it's a pretty goddamn heroic undertaking either way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

I just finished watching an LPer kill the Balrog in UMoria roguelike. Which took over a year and a hundred episodes of ASCII. I am also watching some kid get through Gran Turisumo 2 which has so many cars and details and samely race tracks. For some reason, I love boring drawn out LPs. They relax me. I especially love it when its just some guy grinding through an obscure game for the love of it and providing interesting info on the game. Anybody know any LPs that fit this description?

Something with hours and hours of content.
Dunno about boring, but search the archive for stuff by Giragast. He played a couple of obscure games and dissected the poo poo out of them, sometimes to point of stripping the graphics away. Cold Fear is probably his best thing.

edit: Actually, if boring is your thing, I'm fairly sure he did Project IGI at some point and that game basically consists of reusing one enemy and three buildings.
Now, if you really want boring, just search youtube for valkhorn's channel. Provided it's still around.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 11, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

Translated. Nice try,Fascist!
Schweinhund!

(is that an actual word?)

on-topic: Picroft's Arx Fatalis LP just finished and it's really good. It's a skilled playthrough of a forgotten gem of an RPG that tried to bring the dungeon crawler genre into the 2000s. The 2000s weren't ready for it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 14, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Which is why keep building up the mystery.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Certain amount of loving the sound of your own voice is necessary to do video LPs and youtubers usually don't get called out on it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes it can help, though: I'm watching Kay Plays Dark Souls 2 at the recommendation of the thread and she reads item descriptions out loud - thing is, you can hear how she's fitting what she reads into the picture she has of the lore as she's figuring it out, and that's really nice.
No excuse for reading the dialogue out loud, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

He only just finished the Sonic LP a few days ago, and hasn't been a mod for ages. I think he actually stopped being a mod before he started Sonic.
Actually, is there anywhere I can find this? His youtube channel only has Pokemon and Undertale from what's currently going on.
edit: Oh, nevermind, it's on RP. Stupid me.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 7, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seconding. Vikings Versus Venezuela deserves to be mentioned on every page. But, uh, not if you have depressed arson tendencies.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Two hidden gems of the FPS genre are currently being LP'd, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger by Fleve and No One Lives Forever by dscruffy1. Check them out for the best shooters you never played; they're both heavily story-driven spoofs of movie genres (western for CoJ, parodic spy flick for NOLF - it's basically the best James Bond game that ever came out) with a lot of love put into them and both LPers are making sure they show off all the little details that make these two games so endearing. Seriously, go watch them. Now.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 24, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jeek posted:

After a ride on the emotional roller coaster that is Undertale, I'd like to see something lighter in nature - preferably hilarious like the Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal LP.

Thank you in advance.
That's right, I haven't recommended Mercenaries 2 on this page yet.

Also Fleve's excellent Call of Juarez: Gunslinger LP just wrapped up so everyone should just go watch that because that game is an amazing bit of storytelling paired with constant balls-to-the-wall action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FalloutGod posted:

Any recommendations for video LP's of FMV games? I was having fun watching an LP of Spycraft: The Great Game but the author never finished it :/ I've seen/enjoyed Harvester as well. I'm looking for unique or interesting games with a single LP'r. I'm not a fan of groups that talk over each other pretending to be funny while mocking the game though.
There's some mocking the game and talking over each other, but I loved Slowbeef and Diabetus versus Dracula Unleashed. They're also doing Ripper now, another classic.
If you want an actually good FMV game, (using the term loosely) Contradiction is a fantastic watch.