Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

bawk posted:

This will, of course, 1. make them seem sweeter because there will be less kick, 2. might not do jack poo poo if cooked onions also give you heartburn, and 3. might not do anything at all anyway because there's no guarantee this advice does anything but rinse off the same irritant that makes your eyes water. But it did work for our stomach problem-haver!
I basically only ever eat onion cooked and also why would I want to remove the taste from an onion, but if it's good advice for someone then that's neat. I'm not at the stage where I need to care about it, most of my heartburn or similar issues comes from stupid rear end ibuprofen giving me an ulcer over time that acts up whenever I have to use it for more than two days in a row. Luckily that too is mild.

e: The real life hack is to never get headaches or other random aches that necessitate the use of ibuprofen because goddamn that's one effective cure and goddamn does it ever make your GI tract hate you over time even if you try to be sparing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

credburn posted:

Oh man I've never known anyone else who did the fodmap-elimination diet!

I'm in the middle of trying to do it, haven't had a ton of luck identifying what's causing my symptoms yet unfortunately.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My diet entirely consists of Morningstar Farms Chik Patties and Mountain Dew and for the first time in my life I'm not crippled by stomach pain

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Meanwhile if my diet was nothing but veggie burgers and mountain dew I'd have hella stomach pain. Too much citrus.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Recently discovered lifehack: microwaved ketchup is just too sweet but it's almost a meal

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Could we get some more info on this discovery process

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Grassy Knowles posted:

Could we get some more info on this discovery process

https://youtu.be/Kk4EC6-YFbs

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

credburn posted:

Recently discovered lifehack: microwaved ketchup is just too sweet but it's almost a meal

is this you

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Relyssa posted:

is this you

So basically I thought maybe I could turn it into a quick sort of tomato soup, like maybe if I added stuff to it, but it's actually really gross and tastes like hot tomato candy, and made my kitchen smell like McDonalds

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

An old poor person trick was to get ketchup packets and those mini half and half tubs and make cream of tomato soup. Kinda.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
When we were roommates, a good friend of mine made pasta with elbow noodles and ketchup. It was not desperation or resourcefulness, nor was he drunk at 2 AM. Ketchup was what he understood to be pasta sauce.

I resisted the urge toward murder-suicide and instead taught him how to cook.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My first roommate literally did not know how to boil water.

I knew him for years and his mom did a lot of cooking, he just never absorbed any skills.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh I can top that. During college I’d regularly make “soup burritos” that would be my sole substance for multiple days at a time. You’d make a big batch of rice in a rice cooker and when it finished you’d dump a can of soup or two in there and stir it up to be a mostly solid mass of whatever you added flavored rice. Toss that into some large tortillas and boom, a “meal”.

Clam chowder was a personal favorite. It’s a wonder the sodium and carbs didn’t kill me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Once I read an account from someone who'd just put on a pot of potatoes to boil, and he knew he'd be doing the cooking in that household when his new roommate peered into the densely layered pot and asked with concern "but how big are they going to get after cooking".

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

On the other hand the first time I cooked chickpeas I thought they'd get softer but stay roughly the same size, like lentils and beans.

I ate a lot of chickpeas that week.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I knew him for years and his mom did a lot of cooking, he just never absorbed any skills.

My mother in law did all the cooking when my wife and her siblings were younger, however there is a large gap between her and her siblings so she would hang around the kitchen and took in a lot. Her siblings all have “teenager level understanding” of food and this eat out a lot or have very basic meals. Mostly French fries.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm really glad my mother got me involved with the cooking from a very young age and had me actually cooking dinner by the time I was 10. I'm still not a great cook, but it was enough to make me 90th percentile among people I personally know.

One of my friends was visiting and attempted to help out with food prep by cutting a potato while they were holding it in their hand instead of setting it down on the cutting board. Fingat, etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm really glad my mother got me involved with the cooking from a very young age and had me actually cooking dinner by the time I was 10. I'm still not a great cook, but it was enough to make me 90th percentile among people I personally know.

One of my friends was visiting and attempted to help out with food prep by cutting a potato while they were holding it in their hand instead of setting it down on the cutting board. Fingat, etc.

Cutting up potatoes while you're holding them* is perfectly normal and how millions and millions of people have done it for thousandsa few hundred years. Straight into the soup is just quicker and less mess.

Of course you have to know what the gently caress you're doing.

e: You peel it in your hand, you should be able to cut it up in your hand. It's the same CYERAMIC NOIVE, unless it isn't. (Nowadays it mostly isn't because a peeling knife is just better for peeling in every way.)

*) ONE AT A TIME

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Posted by a babushka

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That's how I cut most vegetables for salads. Never cut myself doing that. I only cut myself when lining baking sheets with foil or doing the washing-up, somehow.

And yes, my grandma taught me that, lol.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

We weren't making soup and

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Of course you have to know what the gently caress you're doing.

yeah, they just grabbed it like an ice cream cone and shoved the knife straight down into the base of their index finger.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

moist turtleneck posted:

Posted by a babushka
If it’s cooking knowledge, you best drat listen then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Why the gently caress weren't you making soup?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Life hack: make soup.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kuiperdolin posted:

On the other hand the first time I cooked chickpeas I thought they'd get softer but stay roughly the same size, like lentils and beans.

I ate a lot of chickpeas that week.
I think your beans and lentils are broken if they are staying the same size while cooking.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Life hack: make soup.

https://4sonrus.com/brat-beer-cheese-soup/

I made that soup last week and it was loving delicious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rydiafan posted:

https://4sonrus.com/brat-beer-cheese-soup/

I made that soup last week and it was loving delicious.

quote:

in under 30 minutes

The gently caress is this poo poo.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

zedprime posted:

I think your beans and lentils are broken if they are staying the same size while cooking.

Roughly they do.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

rydiafan posted:

loving delicious.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

yeah, they just grabbed it like an ice cream cone and shoved the knife straight down into the base of their index finger.

Blood soup

Extra protein

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Any time I see a time estimate on a recipe I double it or add an hour, whichever is less. I’ve never even come close to a recipe’s estimate.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kuiperdolin posted:

Roughly they do.

They get like 3x bigger :psyduck: how are you cooking lentils???

E: the internet confirms, Chickpeas, Beans, and Lentils all expand between 2-3X their original size when cooked.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Any time I see a time estimate on a recipe I double it or add an hour, whichever is less. I’ve never even come close to a recipe’s estimate.

This one was pretty accurate except for two things that are technically true as stated but are hidden time additions.

1) This recipe calls for "cooked brats". Well I'm not gonna buy precooked brats, so unless this is a leftovers user there's time there.

2) Chicken stock. Sure, you can use premade, but if your a soup making aficionado you're gonna make your own.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dip Viscous posted:

I don't remember learning to cook, but my mother must have done the same thing with me, because I do know how. I made spaghetti for my grandma once when I was in middle school or so and hosed it up horribly, but she was encouraging about it. I didn't gently caress up spaghetti again.

I ate a lot of pasta in college more because I was lazy than anything else. Once I had my own kitchen, I bugged relatives for recipes and asked for cookbooks for Christmas and started cooking like a normal person pretty quickly. Or at least what I thought was normal? Maybe I'm also in the 90th percentile and never knew it....

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't remember learning to cook, but my mother must have done the same thing with me, because I do know how.

When our oldest daughter moved into her own place back in 2019 we wrote out a bunch of our family recipes and tips in a book for her. That’s a great memory for me.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Elviscat posted:

E: the internet confirms, Chickpeas, Beans, and Lentils all expand between 2-3X their original size when cooked.

LOL at cooking your own lentils instead of getting Enrique to cook them for you.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Elviscat posted:

That's still the same magnitude of size.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't remember learning to cook, but my mother must have done the same thing with me, because I do know how. I made spaghetti for my grandma once when I was in middle school or so and hosed it up horribly, but she was encouraging about it. I didn't gently caress up spaghetti again.

Visiting with surviving elderly family members and asking them to show their old recipe cards and hearing them reminisce about things is one of the greatest things assuming those people aren't shitheads for other reasons.

Silver Falcon posted:

I ate a lot of pasta in college more because I was lazy than anything else. Once I had my own kitchen, I bugged relatives for recipes and asked for cookbooks for Christmas and started cooking like a normal person pretty quickly. Or at least what I thought was normal? Maybe I'm also in the 90th percentile and never knew it....

If you can follow a recipe, yes, you're better than you think.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's still the same magnitude of size.

That's my point, yes. Chickpeas change in volume when cooking is similar or equal to other legumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

rydiafan posted:

This one was pretty accurate except for two things that are technically true as stated but are hidden time additions.

1) This recipe calls for "cooked brats". Well I'm not gonna buy precooked brats, so unless this is a leftovers user there's time there.

2) Chicken stock. Sure, you can use premade, but if your a soup making aficionado you're gonna make your own.

Yeah and this bread recipe calls for sourdough starter and that takes weeks to cultivate!

loving hell y'all are never happy.