Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phy posted:

Dorm boiled eggs. Probably don't have an oven or a range, but they might just have a rice cooker. I understand even a hot plate is pushing it these days.

In my dorm we weren't allowed a coffee pot because it had a warming plate.

Of course that didn't stop us from having it. We just hid it before they did dorm sweeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lotish posted:

So glad I never had to stay in a dorm ever. It sounds absolutely obnoxious.

Yep. It is. I spent a solid month arguing with the housing board about how I should be allowed to keep my hermit crabs. In the end I had to get rid of them because, and this is literally the reason they told me, "if they escape they'll burrow into the walls and destroy the wiring."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Meatwave posted:

Unsurprisingly, reddit is chock full of god awful life hacks:
http://www.reddit.com/r/lifehacks

Use lovely tape on your laptop to point to the ports as opposed to using the memory in your brain:

This one is described as "Life hack for a hotel with no microwave."

My Freshman year of college they tore my dorm down and moved us into a hotel that the University had bought and was converting into a dorm. We were the first bunch of kids that lived there and the hotel coffee pot was still in the room. My roommate made ramen in the pot regularly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The_White_Crane posted:

... Is that pre-cooked bacon?
Is that a thing in America?

This is from a few pages back but gently caress it.

Yes. Yes it is. When I worked in the produce department at Walmart we had a stand of bacon perpetually sitting beside the tomatoes. It was precooked bacon in a box ready to be opened and served. Usually nobody bought it and it expired.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Davros1 posted:

I like the guilt free, healthy banana ice cream. Chill two bananas for an hour, then shove 'em in a bender with milk!

Then it suggests adding chocolate chips. So much for guilt free and healthy.

I like how commercial treat Yonana is now a lifehack.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Al Borland posted:

So my school is using what I consider actually a really decent forums called Piazza. I honestly enjoy it for the most part, the email updates are a bit annoying but you can turn them off for the most part.

For class discussions it works really well, but one problem I have is there isn't an ignore and the professor doesn't do anything about this one assinine student who keeps posting stupid class.

His latest thing he posted in the general discussion forum was an MRA article that really is just like the last straw for me.

He titled it "10 Red Flags When Meeting Girls".
I literally can't make this poo poo up but he was defending the article and saying all the girl's he has met with tattoos are definitely crazy and broken.

Like this poo poo is not appropriate for school boards or general social media. I absolutely hate life hack posts and this is like some severe bastardized warping of it.

You're an adult now HOW do you agree with this poo poo or feel its appropriate to post this poo poo on class forums with other students. Holy crap. MRA life hack tips on student forums is what my life has become. Getting the occasional bump update in my email for this crap is not appropriate.

Should I talk to the professor about this guy? It is possible he just hasn't noticed the kid's posts? No one has commented on any of his posts and this is like his third one.

Was it this one? Because goddamn that's just some lovely bullshit clearly written by a bitter guy.

Edit: Why did I read the comments? Why did I do that to myself?

quote:

A woman has to be a total moron to want to look like a guy . Getting tattoos is so masculine. I am a guy and think they are stupid on men too, but 100 fold stupid on women. They do help me distinguish who the sluts are for my one night stands.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Antifreeze Head posted:

About a third of those legit things that people in Canada will do at least once every couple of years. For instance, I scraped my windshield with a credit card just this morning.

You don't really need the toilet seat things in a modern house, but you appreciate it if you have an outhouse. Though the real life hack there is to bring to toilet seat back inside.

And tip 11 (put screws in your shoes) basically is how the Montreal Alouettes won the Canadian Football League championship in 1977. They put staples in their shoes to gain traction on a very icy surface and the Edmonton Eskimos didn't.

Yeah the credit card thing works quite well if you don't have any other options. Kitty litter/sand can also be useful for getting stuck in snow. This list isn't as 100% terrible as almost every other life hack list.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I tried to see if there were any amazing birth control life hacks. And all I turned up was a list of birth control myths. I am both happy and disappointed in that outcome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Avoid pregnancy by sticking your dick in the hole poop comes out of.

Can't afford condoms? Use a glove and tie the fingers off one by one! Good for five uses.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Smelly posted:

Lightly sweetend iced tea is amazing and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. I really do hope they one day Americans realize that et don't need a ton or sugar in everything.

When I worked at McDonald's they were just releasing their sweet tea. It was a pound of sugar per gallon it was disgustingly sweet.

Yeah. It's just made in a giant bucket like you would find white paint in. They brew it, dump seven pounds of sugar in, and mix it. Hopefully it gets used before all the sugar settles at the bottom and becomes like a three inch crust.

At least they use real sugar though. Speedway sweet tea is something like a pint of HFCS that's sticky to the touch. Every single container in the box is sticky every time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Noyemi K posted:

Pretty dumb, but I wouldn't call it lifehacks???

I really really, REALLY hate those Instructions for Talking to People Like Me shits. Just cut it the gently caress out, get your head out of your rear end.

Yeah none of that is lifehacks. Every one of those things are what you learn in Psych 101 when they cover personality types.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Boneitis posted:

Having taken the driving test a few years back, they no longer teach parallel parking

Not sure about anyother states but Ohio does maneuverability now instead of parallel parking so I was never formally taught how to do that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

#lifehack: go to the movies during the morning/afternoon. The prices are cheaper and there's less people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

walrusman posted:

Totally normal scenarios that result in leftover pizza, much to the shock and distaste of foreign goons:

- Order pizza for yourself, eat part of it, save the rest for later
- Order large pizza for your family because it's $1 more expensive and twice the size of a medium
- Order several pizzas for a group of friends, estimate high
- Attend a work meeting that orders pizza for lunch and estimates way too high, take some home for dinner

But then they miss out on the chance to go "America fat lol"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brainbread posted:

So, the Onion did a series called, "Troublehacking". They covered various topics such as

- Protecting your feet from broken glass
- Clearing white mold from your iphone.
- Opting out of Olive Garden's infinite bread sticks

And

- How to be warmed by blankets

You joke but I just linked this to a friend who has a history of getting "ghetto glitter" stuck in his feet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Desperado Bones posted:

Drinking "natural" flavored syrup...

Third world country life hack: Our tap water comes with actual dirt and human poo poo...drink bottled water, like we all loving do over here. And carrying a small bottle of water isn't that "difficult".

LIFEHACK:

I think.

*gasp* Sometimes people want a flavored water?! Why I never!

I just looked it up out of curiosity one Mio has 24 uses to it. I highly doubt people only use it as instructed but that ~$3 container puts flavor into 192 ounces (5.7ish liters) of water. I think you guys are just looking for another reason to go "AMERICA FAT :gonk:"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Lifehack: Stop drinking water and become a living Buddha. Eat only salt, nuts, pine bark, and urushi tea. Be revered forever. Attain eternal life and transcend this mortal existence.

Also make sure you wear sunglasses when you do it because you will be cool forever if you do.

I dunno. All of those things have flavor. Can't have things that taste good in your life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

drat Bananas posted:

This will always make me laugh. Just a baby step up from this:

Desperate times I guess. I once made a belt out of zip ties.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

IronicDongz posted:

What, do you mean he was actually vocally mad you were drinking a little at a time because it was hot?

High school people are dumb. The Battle of Thermopylae came up once and a guy yelled at me for ruining the plot of 300 for him.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

gently caress that, who saves TP rolls? I just slice off a bit of old wrapping paper tubing and use that. Hell, it's already right there. When I'm done wrapping, all the poo poo goes back into the bin, which goes under the bed, so I'm not going to pretty it up with some drat foil.

But then how will you get ants and/or mold growing under your bed?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I made the mistake of accepting my girlfriends sister on Facebook. Turns out she's one of those buzzfeed life hack readers. But here's one for cat owners. http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/26-hacks-that-will-make-any-cat-owners-life-easier?s=mobile#.vf6VzKAkX

Features: using things as intended
Making "toys" out of garbage
Overcomplicated solutions to easy problems
Making furniture for cats to ignore

It's almost a bingo!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Centripetal Horse posted:

Doritos loving consomme. This thread may have just peaked. You people lost your loving minds for three pages in a contest to see who could poo poo the hardest on those utterly inoffensive waffle iron recipes. If this "recipe" results in anything less than a nuclear holocaust, you're all hypocrites.

Make Doritos consommé in a waffle iron on the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo.

Did I do it right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HMS Boromir posted:

I believe the idea is that fleas find hosts by detecting the heat and CO2 mammals (and candles) give off. I have no idea if that's actually accurate.

Yeah sounds like it's a similar concept to putting a lamp over a bowl of water. Fleas jump at the lamp, land in the water, and drown.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Maybe delicious?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You'd be more likely to successfully waffle iron lasagna so that you can eat it off the floor like a animal with your credit card knife.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hang on, I'm still assembling it. Just about got it. You'll be sorry you tried to mug me, motherfucker

Where does the "use the credit card knife to stop muggers" come from? Because it's not advertised for that at all. The ads just talk about using it to cut every day things like packages, food, letters, string. Is that just this thread latching onto something tiny and pointless while bigger lifehacks go unmentioned like the Doritos Consomme from a few pages back?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lt. Chips posted:

Welcome to the internet!

Well I was hoping there was a funny story/youtube video where someone did just that. This thread just being goony makes it far less interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

To be fair, it's an easy mistake to make when most "knife/bludgeon/gun/brass knuckles hidden in the shape of X" products are designed to totally thwart muggers that lurk around every corner.

Also it's funny.

Not as funny as Dorito/Shrimp soup!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fil5000 posted:

In the UK it's illegal to carry anything other than a pocket knife, unless you can prove that you need it for a legitimate purpose. Which is pretty funny.

But...how do you carry a giant 12 inch knife everywhere?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I thought you were going to post about the Cuyahoga river fires but this works too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gorilla Salad posted:

But that's how you open bananas :confused:

Edit: and doing that with a mango can work. Or you can press too hard, smash the glass and sends shards right up into your palm. Maybe even slice open an artery.

What? :confused: I've never seen anyone open a banana from the bottom in real life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If you haven't already, pick up Parsons's novel, Liminal States. The guy's an amazingly talented writer.

IT'S NOT A CARTOON IT'S AN ANIMATED SERIES

I bought Liminal States but haven't been able to get into it. When's it pick up?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

just go to trader joes or whole foods or some poo poo? who's even buying hersheys chocolate??

I for one drive over an hour to get to a store just to buy candy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

What's wrong with putting stuff in chili? I put lots of ketchup in mine all the time.

Goons.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What is this lifehacking?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

Looks like he's gonna do some amateur bee extermination.

For like...$3 you can pick up a can with a 25foot spray that makes bees dead. Why do these people do this?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's also a front page article. I'm phone posting so linking it is too much :effort:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

walrusman posted:

What's wrong with just leaving the perfectly harmless and beneficial honeybees alone? :(

If they live in the walls of my house they stop being harmless and beneficial and become a risk of something to step/sit on in the middle of the night and thus need to die a horrible agonizing death.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Beekeepers will be pleased to take a hive off your hands.

I don't know how many of those there are in Bumfuck, Ohio. But if I ever have not wasps infesting my house I'll keep that in mind as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

sarcastx posted:

Can't find a clean glass?

WALLA! :v:

Christ. I've seen some desperate things (I had a roommate my freshman year make ramen in the "dorm" coffee pot) but that takes the cake.