Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Karma Monkey posted:

When I was stationed in N. Yorkshire, the restaurant on base that subbed for having a chow hall used to serve this mashed stuff all the time that they called Swede. I thought it was a combo of mashed potatoes and carrots and it was pretty tasty. Years later I found out it was just rutabagas. I still like it though. v :) v

Aww yeah, rotmos is the poo poo. (Swedish traditional dish, usually served with thick pork sausage.)

#Foodhack: Don't put HFCS or toasted marshmallows in your mash, you idiot. Boil potatoes, carrots and rutabaga and mash that.

Like a animal. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fil5000 posted:

Peanut butter and sweet potatoes are both common in the UK, they're not really exclusive to North America. It's just the insistence on mixing them both with stuff packed full of sugar that's unique to America as far as I can tell. Jam does not go with peanuts.

Peanut butter goes with pretty much anything you can put in a sandwich. You wouldn't consider chocolate-coated peanuts weird, would you? Well, peanut butter is just squished peanuts, and if it goes with chocolate, why not jam?

Life hack: Add peanut butter to sandwiches, it's great.
  • Apple and peanut butter.
  • Banana and peanut butter.
  • Jam and peanut butter.
  • Vegemite and peanut butter.
  • Bacon, banana, and peanut butter.
  • Apple, ham, and peanut butter.
  • Salami, tomato, gherkin, cheese, and peanut butter.
The list goes on.

LoonShia posted:

#Foodhack: Don't put HFCS or toasted marshmallows in your mash, you idiot. Boil potatoes, carrots and rutabaga and mash that.
Désirée potatoes, butter and milk is the best.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Arrest that rear end! posted:

Doesn't even bread in the US have loads of HFCS in and stuff? Here's a good lifehack: don't be a fat disgusting consumerist imperialist american pig.

Don't get me started on US bread. That poo poo is vile

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

LoonShia posted:

Aww yeah, rotmos is the poo poo. (Swedish traditional dish, usually served with thick pork sausage.)

Like a animal. :colbert:

Wait, are there people that are under the impression that sweet potato casserole is mashed potatoes and marshmallows?

It's chopped up sweet potatoes (lifehack: not at all the same thing) topped with a layer of marshmallows before being baked, and it's almost exclusively served as a Thanksgiving dish.

And it's hella tasty if made right.

Lifehack: make food well, it tastes better that way

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Peanut butter goes with pretty much anything you can put in a sandwich. You wouldn't consider chocolate-coated peanuts weird, would you? Well, peanut butter is just squished peanuts, and if it goes with chocolate, why not jam?

• Jam and peanut butter.
The list goes on.

I put it on burgers with onions and peppers.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Bargearse posted:

Adding some sweet potato in with regular potato is a good way to make mashed potatoes.
:hfive:

Australia covers peanuts in red-dyed sugar

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Door Frame posted:

Texas Toast son :getin:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Tiggum posted:

• Jam and peanut butter.
The list goes on.

Désirée potatoes, butter and milk is the best.

Dienes posted:

I put it on burgers with onions and peppers.

These goons know what the gently caress is up.

My more recent abuse of peanut butter involved a craving for pad Thai and not wanting a 40 mile drive to satisfy it.

Took a package of chicken ramen, curry powder, a large dollop of peanut butter and absolutely zero regrets because that poo poo turned out tasty as gently caress.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

#forumhacks - Derail a thread by talking about a.) regional pronunciations, b.) regional foods, or c.) methods of wiping your rear end.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Croccers posted:

\
Australia covers peanuts in red-dyed sugar

They aren't the most common way to get peanuts by far, but you can sometimes find them this way in the US too. They're not really any weirder than M & Ms.

And as far as non-US Goons being weirded out by peanut butter with jam, this is hilarious because it's probably THE most basic, cheap, and easy American food. Go to any school cafeteria on any given day, and probably at least half of the kids are eating it as a sandwich (well maybe not as much now that everyone seems to be paranoid of nut allergies, but still). I'm poor and live on my own and regularly eat it. Of course, when we're talking about jams and jellies, bear in mind that there's literally hundreds of varieties on any given grocery store shelf. Pretty much any fruit you can think of, plus a few vegetables (some people apparently enjoy jam made from peppers, I've never tried it). The most common though are grape jelly or strawberry preserves. I prefer the latter myself.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

The Door Frame posted:

There are two areas in US Grocery stores to buy bread. One, usually near the checkout, that is commercially made and shipped in and the other in the Bakery section. The bakery section will have fresh bread baked daily in a variety of styles.

You don't have to buy the HCFC bread. It's just like trash-talking about American beer. Yes, American pilsners are insipid. However, it's just a style, you don't have to buy it and it's a small percentage of the store.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why is “peanut butter and jelly” more common than “peanut butter and jam”, at least in name?

Jelly is vile. Use delicious jam instead. #lifehack

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Platystemon posted:

Why is “peanut butter and jelly” more common than “peanut butter and jam”, at least in name?

Actually, use preserves.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

mostlygray posted:

There are two areas in US Grocery stores to buy bread. One, usually near the checkout, that is commercially made and shipped in and the other in the Bakery section. The bakery section will have fresh bread baked daily in a variety of styles.

You don't have to buy the HCFC bread. It's just like trash-talking about American beer. Yes, American pilsners are insipid. However, it's just a style, you don't have to buy it and it's a small percentage of the store.

That's what I mean, bakery bread is amazing, but 90% of people can't be bothered to buy unsliced bread and consequently most places have lovely selections of real baked goods. Plus buying day old bread is great when you're broke, 50 cents for a huge loaf of stale bread can be half of your daily calories.

Now American whole wheat bread is just poor texture and lies. For it to legally be whole wheat, it must be 51% whole wheat flour, but whole wheat flour's legal requirement is just that the germ gets added back into the flour at some point in production, not that the wheat stay whole throughout the process. So even the "healthy whole wheat" stuff is bleached flour with wheat germ sprinkled in and then baked to a dry, sandy texture so that people will buy the garbage part of regular flour production and brag to others about it

Maybe I'm just bitter that my favorite bakery closed, but it shouldn't be so hard to get good naan or fresh tortillas without driving into the city :bahgawd:

#lifehack give businesses money if you like what they do

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

99 Percent Invisible recently did an episode about how bread got lovely in the U.S.
http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/good-bread/

quote:

From the 1920s and 30s onward, industrial bakers were constantly tinkering with the design of white bread. They cut the time it took for the bread to rise by adding sugars and cranking up the temperature. They added emulsifiers to allow the dough’s water and fat to mix together better, giving white bread its height and a more even grain. (That also got rid of the holes.) Eventually vitamins were added, and white bread was sold to the public as a means of making hearty the young men who woulds serve in the war effort.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fil5000 posted:

Jam does not go with peanuts.

The peanut butter and jam thing mystified me for a long time, but I think the key is that American peanut butter is sweeter than the peanut butter I've had.

If you have to mix peanut butter with something, try marmite.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
#Lifehack: Take the smallest amount of time out of one day of the week and make your own bread. The stirring and kneading process takes about twenty minutes, tops, and that's the only part of the process that isn't just waiting around.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Aston posted:

The peanut butter and jam thing mystified me for a long time, but I think the key is that American peanut butter is sweeter than the peanut butter I've had.

If you have to mix peanut butter with something, try marmite.

The standard store shelf stuff is, yeah. But you can get the no-sugar stuff or whatever in the health food sections with the other natural type foods. Or of course if you make it homemade. But us Americans have so many spreads on the shelf now, between the peanut butter, the nutella (and the hersheys and jif brand knock offs) apple butter, almond butter, etc etc that I'm surprised you don't see marmite and vegemite outside of specialty international shops.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Choco1980 posted:

I'm surprised you don't see marmite and vegemite outside of specialty international shops.

You're surprised that more stores here don't stock the culinary equivalent of jarred cat turds?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Well, all the tater chat got me hungry for root vegetables, so I went out and got some, boiled them, mashed them, and ate them. :) The checkout girl did not know any of the items except for the white potatoes. She thought the turnips were baby rutabagas. :3:

But back to the hack ridiculing. Here are some winter hacks.

Some are ok. Some are stupid. Some are old as dirt. (Pretty sure people have been using warm booze as a cold remedy forever.) Mostly I just want to state for the record that people that say "adorbs" should be smacked. Hard.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Shut the gently caress up about vegetables already.
Sweet potatoes are awesome, now move on.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Karma Monkey posted:

Mostly I just want to state for the record that people that say "adorbs" should be smacked. Hard.

What's your position on "amazeballs"?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Pretty dumb, but I wouldn't call it lifehacks???

I really really, REALLY hate those Instructions for Talking to People Like Me shits. Just cut it the gently caress out, get your head out of your rear end.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

LoonShia posted:

Mandatory tasering :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Noyemi K posted:

Pretty dumb, but I wouldn't call it lifehacks???

I really really, REALLY hate those Instructions for Talking to People Like Me shits. Just cut it the gently caress out, get your head out of your rear end.

Yeah none of that is lifehacks. Every one of those things are what you learn in Psych 101 when they cover personality types.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I like some things about visiting my family in Florida, but having the waitress shake her head at me like I'm a lost soul when I order my Iced tea without sugar is not one of them. Also the fact that like 50% of the time when you order it without sugar you still get sweet tea, just without even MORE sugar added to it (barfbarfbarf).

I don't know where you go that unsweetened tea has sugar in it, just not as much as sweet tea? I live in Georgia, and my parents never have trouble with unsweetened tea having sugar in it unless the waitress/waiter forgets they wanted unsweet. They always offer artificial sweeteners, though, because I guess the only reason they think you'd want unsweetened tea is because you're diabetic and have to use sweet-n-low/splenda/whatever instead of sugar.

That said, I don't care for iced tea, and much prefer freshly-brewed hot green tea, nothing in it. Accessory flavors that are steeped in with the leaves are okay, though. I have some raspberry green tea that is drat godly.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Len posted:

Yeah none of that is lifehacks. Every one of those things are what you learn in Psych 101 when they cover personality types.

They call themselves "Lifehack.org" but there's a surprising lack of lifehacks :psyduck:

Maybe the internet ran out of retarded "tips"?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Noyemi K posted:

They call themselves "Lifehack.org" but there's a surprising lack of lifehacks :psyduck:

Maybe the internet ran out of retarded "tips"?

Jesus, just look at that front page. It's nothing but clickbaiting articles.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

LoonShia posted:

Hmmm, several scenes from Sin City come to mind.

Bargearse posted:

Mandatory tasering :colbert:

Just as a warm-up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Choco1980 posted:

The standard store shelf stuff is, yeah. But you can get the no-sugar stuff or whatever in the health food sections with the other natural type foods. Or of course if you make it homemade. But us Americans have so many spreads on the shelf now, between the peanut butter, the nutella (and the hersheys and jif brand knock offs) apple butter, almond butter, etc etc that I'm surprised you don't see marmite and vegemite outside of specialty international shops.

America has prohibitions on biological and chemical warfare.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

America has prohibitions on biological and chemical warfare.

But vegemite is good and my hubby loves it too... (well he's an Aussie so it's a requirement for citizenship but any way..)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

#lifehack: not even using smaller text will hide the shame of defending jarred nightmares

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember last time I was in the US, an old man spread what must have been a half stick of butter on his steak. And this was at a good restaurant, not like an outback or black angus. At least he had to demand butter packets from the waiter and it wasn't just there on the table.

This would probably be okay if your were a passanger
http://i.imgur.com/bcfeOPl.jpg

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I remember last time I was in the US, an old man spread what must have been a half stick of butter on his steak. And this was at a good restaurant, not like an outback or black angus. At least he had to demand butter packets from the waiter and it wasn't just there on the table.

This would probably be okay if your were a passanger
http://i.imgur.com/bcfeOPl.jpg

Even then it'd be a stupid idea, since you can't have open containers in your car... Or be without your seat belt

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Non Serviam posted:

Even then it'd be a stupid idea, since you can't have open containers in your car... Or be without your seat belt

There's lots of places non-drivers can drink in a car, and cars have more than one seatbelt.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

I do admit that some on the website link there were pretty good. Frozen fruit makes for a pretty good desert, especially if it's something juicy like grapes that have lots of flavor in the middle, for instance.

I think maybe this just depends on whatever vice you have when it comes to food. I basically never eat savoury carbs and will eat mashed up vegetables whenever possible, but there is no way I'm making do with frozen fruit or dark chocolate when I start craving sugar (not that I don't like fruit/dark chocolate, it just doesn't satisfy that craving the way milk chocolate or a literal piece of boiled sugar with no nutritional value does).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Noyemi K posted:

But vegemite is good and my hubby loves it too... (well he's an Aussie so it's a requirement for citizenship but any way..)

:stonk: You deserve each other.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

The Door Frame posted:

Maybe I'm just bitter that my favorite bakery closed, but it shouldn't be so hard to get good naan or fresh tortillas without driving into the city :bahgawd:

#lifehack give businesses money if you like what they do

My shithole rust belt town of 60,000 has TWO local bakeries that put delicious, Corn-syrup-and-sugar-free white and wheat sliced loaves at the local grocery stores. #Lifehack, check your chain grocery stores for local products

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

:stonk: You deserve each other.

It's not bad, it's just the cool thing for Americans to hate vegemite and marmite despite 98% of us never having ever eaten it :rolleyes:

Kind of like how it's cool for people who don't live in the US to hate our "gross unhealthy food full of HFCS!!!!" when euros do the same poo poo with loving sugar beets (oh, hmm, what sugar comes from beets? Oh yeah, fructose.) Or our supposed love of everything fried (when even people HERE think fried coke is weird and fried pizza is gross).

However, when it comes to the foreign hate against american cheese, it is very much justified, because that poo poo is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Platystemon posted:

I always thought "jelly" was just what Americans called jam. :aaa:

The Door Frame posted:

That's what I mean, bakery bread is amazing, but 90% of people can't be bothered to buy unsliced bread and consequently most places have lovely selections of real baked goods.
Why would bakery bread not be sliced?

Aston posted:

For me, the whole point of peanut butter with jam is that the peanut butter is not sweetened, and is a nice contrast. Jam and cheese is also pretty great, for the same reason.

Lifehack: Buy peanut butter that is just 100% crushed peanuts, nothing else. It's way better than the stuff with added sugar/salt/etc.