Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

this one's really gross. Now your hoodie is gonna be all gross and greasy and smell like oil. Bleergh.

Edit:

man am I glad that I have a perfectly empty and huge room just so I can make a book igloo. And I'm really glad I'll never get to read any of the ones in the middle again, because then the igloo will tumble the gently caress down around my ears. I wish there was a case that would hold my books. Oh well, that'll never happen.

FluxFaun has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

My favorite thing about the tinfoil spoon is that he doesn't realize that the little hole on the sauce pan is specifically for that. You just jam the spoon in there instead fo loving about with tin foil. Or just... I dunno, put that poo poo down and wipe up after like a normal human being.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

kazil posted:

Not to poo poo on your life-hack parade, but that hole is so you can hang the pot on a hook.

I am aware. Mostly I was just making fun of how loving stupid he is not to just be like I CAN PUT SPOON IN HOLE AS OPPOSED TO TINFOIL HERP.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

HELLO CHILDREN. ANTA CLAUS HAS COME WITH YOUR SEASONAL MATERIAL BAUBLES. BRING TO ANTA CLAUS YOUR SUGAR COOKIES, CLACK-CLACK.

I almost died when I read this, I was mid-swallow of the bite of bagel I was eating and I seriously almost died. I like you.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

Never cooking again!

The biscuit one really pisses me off because they're supposed to RISE and get nice and fluffy, idiot

TOO MUCH OF A HUGE IDIOT MANCHILD TO ACTUALLY COOK FOOD? loving THROW IT ON A WAFFLE IRON YOU PIGGY BASTARD.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Incidentally, if you're ever in this situation, boil water and baking soda to clean out burned crap.

Pretty much this. One time when we were little, my sister tried to cook and ended up burning the poo poo out of a pan/the macaroni inside said pan. We were panicking and were sure we were gonna get into huge poo poo but then my mom just boiled like a cup of baking soda and water in there and it was pretty much good as new. I pretty much had cooking duty after that, though.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

TVarmy posted:

Cast iron is a great surface to cook on, but it does take some getting used to and a lot of people pitch it as something it's not.

It's nonstick enough to cook eggs in the best case, but it's never as good as real teflon. If you want to make an omelette, you really should be using a small nonstick pan, ideally a cheap one as teflon pans do wear out and any of them with a decently thick bottom perform the same brand new, whether they're generic or from All-Clad.

What cast-iron is great for is when you really want to sear something, like steak or a smashed burger (where you press it into the skillet for maximum char) as it can hold a lot of heat. Counter to what you might have heard, I find it works best with slightly less oil for these tasks, since too much just makes the food greasy and messes up the sear. And a sharp metal spatula is the best tool for a cast iron pan, as it smooths the bottom out and can help resolve the rare sticking.

Seasoning works best getting the pan really hot and putting a thin layer of oil on top. The ideal is probably to put a really thin layer of oil on the pan (barely visible), bake it at 500F for an hour, and repeat a few times, but just a spray of pam rubbed in with a paper towel over high heat is good enough. People get really spergy about it, which I think misses the point of buying a cheap pan that can take abuse. And modern dish detergent (like Dawn) won't gently caress up the seasoning, but real soap (like Dr. Bronner's) can, so if you get something nasty stuck on your pan and water or scrubbing won't get it off alone, go ahead and use dish detergent.

Have you guys talked about Kipkay's youtube channel in a while? A lot of "hacks" that look effective in a 2 minute video but which are actually useless, plus a couple videos where you can tell he didn't have any ideas.

gently caress your engine up with nail polish remover and throw away your spare tire!
Draw power from the landline you still have! Power companies HATE him!
build a camera out of a smaller camera!
stalk people using a single use gadget explicitly designed to report its location! and use linkbait to attract sad mras to the comments
HACK the traffic lights using moorse code on the crosswalk button (which does not work but shut up)
I bought condoms and had no use for them so i just filmed myself pretending i found clever uses from them? Please click the youtube ads? BONUS: Dad joke with CVS employee CAUGHT ON TAPE.

Personally I love my calphelon pans a lot more than my cast iron ones, but that's just me.

Also the condom one is cringe worthy. Why would you waste perfectly good condoms on things that aren't sex?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

#LIFEHACK Eat a banana and throw the banana at Mario because gently caress that fat guinea gently caress he thinks he's better than me well I'll show his plumber rear end haha look at his stupid kart slam into a wall

Now you love ME Peach

YOU LOVE ONLY ME

COME TO KOOPA

gently caress YOU DONKEY KONG YOU LEFT THE BANANAS OUT AND NOW THEY ARE MINE

I KIDNAPPED THEM

I want this framed in my house.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

LoonShia posted:

Actual garlic-based lifehack that makes peeling easier: Put the cloves into a glass of water for five minutes before peeling.

If you need to relieve aggression, pop them in a tupperware thing and shake it like you're trying to kill it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I, too, love me some baking soda. It's the only thing that gets hair dye off my hands so I don't constantly look like I've given a handy to a smurf. And no one said you have to stop using soap or shampoo, guy, calm down.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You die your hair blue?

I do sometimes. Mostly I don't because my hair's dark as gently caress and it takes like three bleaches to get it light enough to take color.

I also oil paint a lot and baking soda is pretty great for cleaning up things that should not have oil paint on them.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Meatwave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nuyCtvNF0w

Russians doing stupid instructional poo poo on youtube is just the best.

I love this guy's channel. It's good watching.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Len posted:

Wait going barefoot is hipster? I thought that was just part of growing up in rural Ohio?

Or just hating wearing shoes. I go barefoot whenever it's socially acceptable because I just really hate wearing shoes.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Len posted:

One of the few good parts of my job is that I can walk around barefoot all day and nobody says a word.

What job do you have?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I do it the life hack way when I have acrylic nails on because I'm afraid I'll ruin them

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Kids also eat more adult food like brussels sprouts once they find out "boil the hell out of it" isn't a good cooking method

this. I thought for years that I didn't like veggies because my family cooks them via "take them out of a can and nuke them in the microwave". once I learned how to cook I suddenly found that I love veggies

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I hated carrots for years until I started cooking them myself. Turns out if you don't cook them until they're mush they're loving delicious. Same for asparagus, artichoke and most onion based things.

Still hate fish, though. Turns out that one was a legit dislike.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

lifehack: buy in bulk at costco so you can get boxes, and also more canned veggies than you could ever reliably eat

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Lifehack; be poor as gently caress and have to make due with the cheap poo poo, be simultaneously overweight and malnourished.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

your coat is now your pantry. fill it for the winter so you can survive the harsh climate. stuff a rotisserie chicken into your pockets. put condiments in the liner. thrive

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

that's a really good tip thank

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

life hack- use your lighter and 600$ of electrical equipment to build a coffin out of breadtags

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

you realize that wall mounts are expensive?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

They're like $40 for articulating ones that can move like 180 degrees

$40 is money for much needed food or good towards bills, my dude.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

don't dunk your loving tea bags you animals

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Why not?

People think it makes the tea steep faster, but all it does is disturb the leaves and break them up in the bag, causing bitter taste and leaf sediment to fall to the bottom to the cup. It's usually to try to make mediocre tea in lukewarm water steep faster, instead of using good quality leaves in hot water.

Also it throws tea everywhere which is rude.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

plainswalker75 posted:

Or loving sweet tea.

Am American, can confirm that sweet tea is a bane on our planet. Everywhere I go, I gotta specify not sweetened or I get a cup of tea flavored syrup.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Sweet tea is great.

I am sorry about your broken taste buds and about how wrong you are about tea in general.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

oh man that is gonna smell great in like three days

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

I know where you're going with this but presumably those shells are washed and painted, so they wouldn't smell. Like, millions of people clean and paint hollowed eggshells every year at Easter and keep them around sometimes for years as decorations. No comment on the practicality or taste of the lifehack wall art though.

You're assuming PTA-member Karen is going to take the time to wash, preserve, paint and protect those eggshells after she finds it on pinterest. No, no indeed.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

That ice cream one loving infuriated me. way to ruin the rest of the pint, rear end in a top hat! that little rim is there so the ice cream doesn't get all lovely and hard. Also just buy an already made ice cream sandwhich like a normal person, you absolute stooge.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

also some of us are poors

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

USE TRASH TO MAKE YOUR lovely HOUSE SHITTIER! DON'T BUY THINGS MADE FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO DO, YOU TWEE MOTHERFUCKER, JUST HOT GLUE SOME GARBAGE TOGETHER. BURN AN EGG.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

27. Joined for the funny pictures, stayed for the... Funny pictures?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I like how within 30 seconds the person doing it almost stabs themselves multiple times trying to cut a plastic container with a utility knife.

It's not a life hack until someone bleeds.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Momo likes small bits of paper, shoe laces, and things he shouldn't eat.

Life hack: yelling NONONONONONO in an increasingly worried voice at your cat magically makes him three times faster and better at hiding out of arm's reach when he's got something in his mouth he shouldn't have

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I legitimately love those lovely Lifehack videos for decor. I love to just watch them and get increasingly confused and irate at the life choices.

In the spirit of that, I bring a Gift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqZs1823cNM

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I am also a Poor and cannot afford a gas stove/my apartment doesn't allow gas stoves.

Lifehack: spray air freshener directly into fan and then immediately choke and gag as it flies back into your face.

I just watched a co-worker do this.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7lFCMyfkic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Also that one with the blow torch just turned it to straight up charcoal.