Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Looking at stuff meant for EMS use is another way to get women's pants that have working pockets, if you aren't into wearing shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Obenauf's Leather Oil is what you want for leather pants. It seems kind of expensive, but one bottle will last a really long time and it won't make the leather all weird and floppy like some products do.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Scientastic posted:

Soft-boiled eggs exist, what the gently caress, do you just cram eggs into your gaping maw? I am struggling to believe that you've never used an egg cup

Egg cups aren't really a thing in the US, to the point that I'd never heard of one until a couple of years ago. We do, in fact, just pick up the egg and eat it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Truga posted:

my family never had egg cups we just used shot glasses to hold soft boiled eggs lol

Now I want to get some egg cups to do shots out of.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Back to what started eggchat, though, why the spoon at all? Why not just discard the shell before you eat it?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I didn't even know you were supposed to heat it up. Every Thanksgiving gathering I've been to has featured a cold ham and a loaf of bread to put slices of it on.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I have a hippie friend that does the razor blade in a bowl thing routinely. Every time he sees me using a kitchen knife, he has a freakout about how having "weapons in my house" makes me way more likely to be killed.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Knives = weapons to him, so he cuts tomatoes with the razorbowl and uses scissors on stuff like celery and carrots.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Yeah, it's just like three generations worth of misinterpreting "a thing is more likely to exist if it exists" stats.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The baking ones are the weirdest poo poo to me because instead of being super clickbaity they're usually presented as regular recipes, but the info in them is completely wrong. Normal baking process, but the ingredients and quantities are changed to make it not work. Using a real recipe wouldn't make the video less engaging to viewers or more expensive to make, but nah, gently caress it, let's microwave a cup of salted milk for 10 minutes.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Houses are basically bowls, if you throw enough food on the floor.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Immediately reminded me of this.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I want to see the inside of this to see if the whole thing is just using normal things for their intended purpose like is portrayed on the cover.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Limiting the brightness of illuminated signs should be a thing everywhere.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Relyssa posted:

We got an Ant Boofer over here, everyone!

Is it too soon for a new thread title?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

At the theater I go to the tickets are $5 but the sodas and popcorn are $7 and $10, so I could see them actually enforcing the rules.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

maltesh posted:

Oh, so that's how you smoke a jay.

Thread title material here.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

maltesh posted:

Oddly the least effort can opener I own is a p-38 I picked up on a whim, but that's an emergency option.

Get a Gangy, works the same way as a P-38/51 but bigger.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

fwiw i'm as far as possible from nz (midwestern us) and have heard plenty of people refer to their chickens as chooks

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

just lol if your washing machine doesn't destroy your jeans after you've worn them 5-7 times

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Yeah studio licenses have gotten to where the theater closest to me has $5 admission and $20 popcorn.

They get more money renting out the whole theater to groups and letting them use the projector for whatever they want for a few hours (usually Smash Ultimate) than they do from showing movies.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 20:51 on May 18, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Or drain the grease AFTER you cook it instead of during.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Alhazred posted:

Did you know that you can just hang up your wet clothes and then they will eventually dry? It's very complicated though:
https://twitter.com/lingerie_addict/status/1666528930742915079

"HOAs at my last 5 houses forbid line drying laundry."

I know HOAs are always dumb as gently caress but this one is wild.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I dry my clothes by hanging them from my shower curtain rods (I have more than one because the shower is directly against a window :confused:) and I'd argue that this can't possibly create more humidity than, you know, taking a shower. Which would horribly backfire and lead to a rule against indoor bathing.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

There are window blinds too, but the window is inside the shower so there needs to be a second curtain to keep the window and the wood trim around it from getting soaked.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Kwyndig posted:

You can just get your window frosted if you don't want a shower curtain in front of it. But then you can't really open it while you're in the shower.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

SMH at just putting an extra absorbent cushion on the chair instead of taking five more minutes to add a pissjug holder.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Kwyndig posted:

I thought the problem with cutting onions was the crying part, they cut fairly easily. Using some gizmo to cut your onions doesn't change the fact that you're still cutting onions.

Eye irritation from onions comes from trying to cut them with a dull blade, so this is probably several times worse for that unless you're one of the vanishingly small number of people that bothers to periodically sharpen their vegetable peeler.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm really glad my mother got me involved with the cooking from a very young age and had me actually cooking dinner by the time I was 10. I'm still not a great cook, but it was enough to make me 90th percentile among people I personally know.

One of my friends was visiting and attempted to help out with food prep by cutting a potato while they were holding it in their hand instead of setting it down on the cutting board. Fingat, etc.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

We weren't making soup and

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Of course you have to know what the gently caress you're doing.

yeah, they just grabbed it like an ice cream cone and shoved the knife straight down into the base of their index finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't remember learning to cook, but my mother must have done the same thing with me, because I do know how. I made spaghetti for my grandma once when I was in middle school or so and hosed it up horribly, but she was encouraging about it. I didn't gently caress up spaghetti again.

Visiting with surviving elderly family members and asking them to show their old recipe cards and hearing them reminisce about things is one of the greatest things assuming those people aren't shitheads for other reasons.

Silver Falcon posted:

I ate a lot of pasta in college more because I was lazy than anything else. Once I had my own kitchen, I bugged relatives for recipes and asked for cookbooks for Christmas and started cooking like a normal person pretty quickly. Or at least what I thought was normal? Maybe I'm also in the 90th percentile and never knew it....

If you can follow a recipe, yes, you're better than you think.