Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I liked Doc with the short-lived Trenchcoat of Levitation, because he's still got the Eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irish Joe posted:

Whenever someone praises a costume in this thread, I feel like I'm the only person who can see color. Yeah, the design and cut of a costume is important, but so is color and there's nothing good about the combination of red, brown, black and white. Its loving garish.

It looks more yellow than brown to me, but if you get rid of the red cloak, you're going to get jerkoff fanboys (:wave:) bitching about it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kelp Plankton posted:

Flash was unconscious and the symbiote jumped around to the various GotG members briefly, that stuff's all over now. They're dealing with some symbiote homeworld thing right now so this must be what happens when that all shakes out.

Kind of a cool look, interesting to see that they're making him big and bulky again instead of the more sleek, agile Venom we've had for a while.

Is it still Flash inside there? I liked it when Flash-Venom was more sleek, because he was president of the Spider-Man fan club in high school, and I could see him wanting to look like his hero. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Dunno. Since he's hanging with the Guardians I'd assume he has access to decent prostheitcs, as long as Rocket doesn't need them for a scheme.

They got Jack Flag out of his wheelchair; I'd think new legs would be a snap for the space doctors.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Schneider Heim posted:

I can't see how she's able to sit without impaling herself on that sharp point.

At the very least, she's going to get pinched by her armor a lot. :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey look. We get a second new Superman costume today in Action Comics #39 when Soups pictures himself at the end of the world.

Does the big metal fist do anything special?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

a kitten posted:

I wasn't sure if this was better suited to the good/bad art thread or this one.

oh lordy.

That looks uncomfortable, like her nipples are being pulled to the sides. :ohdear:

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 16, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wanamingo posted:

Once again, The Flash provides us with the proper solution.

Flash has all the options you could ever need -- he could go home, scrub out some stains, put on the costume, and be back in time for the next panel.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SirDan3k posted:

That's Brother Voodoo MD and he is simply as surprised he still exists as I am.

The eighties called Marvel even they think Brother Voodoo may be irredeemably racist.

They called him Doctor Voodoo when they made him Sorcerer Supreme for a while. I thought it was pretty interesting, but it was one of those ongoings that got turned into a limited series, and then he was never seen again. :eng99:

The idea that Sorcerers Supreme are always medical doctors seems weird to me. Although I saw one alternate version described as "the Surgeon of Reality" in a short story, and I thought that was a pretty cool description.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

Magik and Tony Stark are both future Sorceror Supremes.

William Safire Orders Two Whoppers Junior

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Senor Candle posted:

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a glow

I'm hoping it's just there in that sketch to make the spider clearer.

Edit: welp, I guess it's real, which means it sucks. :mad:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

VagueRant posted:

I just got round to reading the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye run and is it weird that Clint/Kate's ordinary modern clothing with purple flourishes, accessorised by plasters and bandages - is kinda the coolest "costume" I've seen in a long time?

edit:
for reference - Kate looking awesome and totally avatar worthy.

I liked the Superboy costume when it was just him wearing a Superman T-shirt.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

IndustrialApe posted:

I found an absolute treasure-trove of redesigns for the official handbook of the marvel universe: http://ohotmuredux.blogspot.com/

It features a lot of obscure and oddball characters and the artists really do have some fun with the idea:

I laughed at first, but that's actually pretty good. The buckle is funny, and riding the tornado like a bull -- that's from a Pecos Bill story. I would argue in favor of a droopy mustache, but that's a small criticism.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alhazred posted:

Probably Dust from X-Men:

She's showing a lot of hand there...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I know I'm in the minority, but I still love that costume of Psylocke's. It's very feminine and even sexy without being a one-piece bathing suit, and it shows that she was mostly a noncombatant (at least back then) who needed some extra protection. The hood and cape gave her a more "mysterious psychic" vibe.

I'm on your side -- it was a good thing for her. She was just wearing plain clothes when Sabretooth showed up during the Mutant Massacre, and she barely made it out alive. I distinctly remember her taking a few knocks and surviving with her armored suit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red Bones posted:

Yeah her original design is a very good design because it fulfills the brief of "vampire pinup girl"perfectly. Like, in design terms, it's working perfectly as intended.

For all I know, there could be a long stretch of Vampirella that was written by Alan Moore and is pure genius, but all I know about her is what I get from seeing covers and posters and dolls in comic-book shops: vampire pinup girl.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

I hate everything about this even more.

Yeah, I didn't like the new look, but figured I was just being old and lame. That shield-blade thing is lovely

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I like it when you can see where Cap's belt line is. You know, where the red-and-white stripes end. He looks weird without some kind of visible divider.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Achernar posted:

Is USAgent still around? A stabby shield seems more his thing really.

He got an arm and a leg cut off and then became a prison warden.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

I don't wanna be a low content poo poo poster, nor do I wanna seem like a troll, but I don't know what else to say to this other than: Thundercats suck.

This is a perfectly sensible opinion to hold.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Is this a wrestling thing? If it's a wrestling thing I wish we had the technology to punch people in the face through the internet.

Whenever someone posts something incomprehensible, check the language. If moon language, it's anime. If carny talk, it's wrestling.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I like the X-Factor "no, we're normal humans, honest" costumes. Always thought they looked decent.

It's a lot harder to find pictures of them than I had expected. :eng99:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

Behold the awesomeness that is ... the crotchplate!

A. That is funnier than I had imagined.

B. What's with those boots?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Those are some long legs.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

I like those designs a lot but I have no interest in reading one Deasthstroke book a month much less two.

I don't care about Deathstroke, but Christopher Priest is terrific, so I'll give it a shot.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

DC's Chinese Super-Man is not coming out of the gates looking good.

If he's flying forward, how come his cape isn't trailing behind him from the wind?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Al-Saqr posted:

Also why is Chinese superman using Latin letters as his symbol.

Ashcans posted:

Technically it's a Kryptonian symbol for 'hope', so there's no reason to translate it. :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I just realized what his costume reminds me of: he looks like those Chinese Commie "evil mirror of a hero" villains Marvel kept making in the 60s and 70s. He looks like Superman's Crimson Dynamo.

Iron Man's rogues' gallery was really weak at the start of the '90s. "Communists? I'm supposed to give a poo poo?"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

What's not to love????

Every woman Cyclops runs into in his day-to-day life is gorgeous; it makes no sense that his mind would be blown like that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ygolonac posted:

Ah, the 1977 "Fang" costume - now I understand WTF was going on with this outfit.

(From the story arc where Marvel Girl (Rachel Grey/Summers) got mindcontrolled into turning herself into a dinosaur. Specific book/issues not readily at hand.)

He took it off one of the Shi'ar imperial guardsmen.

I understand you want to put some clothes on when you're naked and in the middle of a big fight, but that seems like a lot of work. Is there a zipper? Or is the neck hole just so stretchy that everything goes in there?

prefect fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 21, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mortgage your house for that neat camo jacket.

At first I thought the "camo jacket" was the blue one with the stars. (Because it blends into the background, you see. :shobon:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotinaj posted:

But srsly, this movie would suck if they got the best screenwriter and director because it is still based on Power Rangers.

I think it's one of those things where if you watched it when you were a kid, you might think it was really great. I wouldn't be surprised if kids nowadays thought Thundarr the Barbarian sucked -- it didn't colonize their brains at the right time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotinaj posted:

I love power rangers a million more times than most do. I watched every episode for the first like six series. I had every toy for years. I recognise that I am biased as hell.

That being said, half the fun was the terrible wire fu, the dumb bursts of sparks that happened when a plastic weapon hits someone, the terrible acting. The source material, once "rebooted" and updated by a committee of ad executives, is going to be unrecognisable and any take on the power rangers is going to super suck. This is the 2016-2017 version of the GI Joe movie, which is fitting, since those armored costumes look like something the Joes would use in GI Joe 3: Cobra Rising Again.

I was going to mention G.I. Joe in my post, but decided to go for something that was more obviously crap garbage, but which had laser swords. :blush:

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 19, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Barudak posted:

i hope you die when the meteor passes too close to the earth.

I should have been more specific, and pointed out that it was crap garbage that I loved as a child, the way power rangers are crap garbage for people of a different age.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

OK, context: The current Wolverine arc revolved around a Big Mysterious Chest Of Stuff. SHIELD thought it was some kind of magical doodad/weapon, but all the agents they sent to check it out, including Old Man Logan disappeared. Turns out the chest was full of goop that is a pheremone that attracts space dragons, hence Fin Fang Foom comes and eats whoever opens the chest. The thing spills when Foom attacks the helicarrier, and Wolverine has to cover herself in the stuff and lead him away from the crashed carrier, and then strips, presumably lets him eat her costume or whatever, and borrows some of Captain Marvel's clothes to wear home.

Aha. She had to "give her clothes to FFF", so I assumed it was so that they could be worn. Thanks for the explanation. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Superstring posted:

It what I still think is Chris Sim's best essay, he goes into the 'DC constantly trying to be more like Marvel' over the years here: http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-marvel-golden-age-silver-age-comics-history/

There's so much good stuff in there.

"...so DC sends a space cop with a magic wishing ring and a Robin Hood cosplayer on a trip across the country because one of them didn’t know racism existed and the other didn’t know drugs existed...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red Bones posted:

Bayonetta is a good example of this design principle. Her outfit is all black but her guns (on her hands and feet) are bright red, so the player can read her animations easily (because they can always tell where her hands and feet are).

Isn't that the game where she's naked all the time but sometimes wraps her hair around herself so that it looks like clothing?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Here's a very bad edit in photoshop I made instead of working just now.

I also made the white on his arms red while I was at it.

I don't like it when the red doesn't connect down the legs to the boots. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

You don't like Spider-Man's normal costume?

At least that doesn't have the red start down his leg and then give up. Don't tease me! :doom:

• Locked thread