Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Some of my all-time favorite costumes include The Rocketeer, Hunter Rose Grendel, Reuben Flagg and the other Plexus Rangers from American Flagg!, Nightwing's long-lasting black and blue costume, Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), Booster Gold, Catwoman's Darwyn Cooke-designed black costume with the goggles, and Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe (both his initial mask with the goggles and his second, arguably more iconic mask with the knight-like visor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

The Star Lord design from the Abnett and Lanning era of Cosmic Marvel is one of my favorite costumes of all times. Apart from the militaristic elements of it, it harkens back to the old adventure serials of the 30's and 40's which I'm just a sucker for. The Rocketeer is another one of my favorite costume designs and this particular Star Lord design is cut from the same cloth.

Another one of my favorites. It was really disappointing that they went with a more generic, Malcolm Reynolds-inspired look for him in the current Bendis series and the movie.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dacap posted:

Crosspost from the Marvel thread, here's a bunch of new costumes showing the designs for the new female Thor, Falcon as Cap, and a new Iron Man armor. I overall like the Thor, the Iron Man is kind of bland and the Cap design is way to busy in the chest and has a lot of extraneous elements like the massive belt buckle and side ridges that it would look better without.

I just realized Medusa's new costume looks like Maxima from DC's Extreme Justice, with touches of Deja Thoris.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I like it, but I kind of wish the yellow shapes were either bigger, as a more obvious design nod to the original costume, or higher up, to resemble a cute necktie motif. But generally, I like it. It reminds me of the modern Mockingbird, Captain Marvel, and Batgirl redesigns.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Horrible? Lazy? This is phenomenal. This looks a million times better than the garbage you're praising. It might not be a particularly imaginative design but those sketches have character.

I like them too. Is the artist Terry Dodson, by any chance?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sherlock Hyde posted:

I've always been a fan of costumes that are more practical than they are stylish, so I kinda really love Jack Knight's outfit and Sandman design from Sandman Mystery Theatre. Although that one I probably like more because it reminds me of the Shadow than anything, and I love the Shadow. That's also probably why I love Darkwing Duck's outfit so much.

I've always loved the "mystery men" costumes like the Golden Age Sandman (particularly the Mystery Theatre version over the green suit/purple cape Golden Age version), the Shadow, the Green Hornet, the Question, Crimson Avenger, and the Gray Ghost from Batman: The Animated Series. Years ago, Guy Davis did a really surreal sci-fi comic called Nevermen, about identical crimefighters who wore matching black suits, trench coats, fedoras, and goggles. It didn't make a lick of sense, but I always loved the character designs, despite their relative simplicity.

More retro costumes I love: Reuben Flagg and the Plexus Rangers from Chaykin's American Flagg! (what I use to show people that Chaykin was once one of the best artists around), Dave Stevens' Rocketeer (I'm eagerly awaiting the 6" action figure in 2015), Francavilla's Black Beetle, and Matt Wagner's simple, dramatic look for Hunter Rose, the first Grendel.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 27, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've always called that her "Screamin' Chicken Armor."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

What issue is this?

It's in Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier miniseries. Not sure which issue, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
God drat, Mike Wieringo was awesome.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, it's funny that we go on about Liefeld's pouches but at least superfluous pouches are still hypothetically functional, that cut-up balaclava thing is both utterly useless and just weird as a fashion accessory, Lee apparently invented it from whole cloth ( :laugh: ) just for the 90s.

Booster Gold has been wearing very similar headgear since 1987, complete with goggles. The Atom wore something similar in the late '80s, and Animal Man and Steve Ditko's Starman (Prince Gavyn) had them when they first appeared in the '70s.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wendell posted:

I loved Psylocke's hooded armour costume so much, and the characterization that went along with it. She wasn't a warrior, she provided tactics and support! That's pretty unique, I think. But then she became a ninja.

Me too! One of my all-time favorite costumes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Rogues also had a tailor on retainer for a while? It may have been before the Rogues were an official thing but he was the go to for a lot of Flash villains for a while.

Paul Gambi, tailor extraordinaire! There was even a minor reference to him on the Flash TV show, with some kind of "Gambi Tailor" or "Gambi Dry Cleaning" truck.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

And Spidey still picked the wrong machine.

The Shiar had an instant wardrobe machine that turned Kitty into Darth Vader in the Dark Phoenix saga.

I remember the '90s X-Force team got new costumes with that Shi'Ar device after Liefeld left the book, perhaps when Capullo took over the art, in the X-Cutioner's Song era.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's why Darwyn Cooke's Catwoman costume was the best, and why it's lasted for almost 15 years so far. For a cat burglar to be crawling through ventilation shafts and somersaulting over laser sensors, it's a tight, form-fitting bodysuit with minimal extraneous features. No silly tail or long skirt to get caught on things, no long hair flowing out of the mask to leave DNA evidence behind or help witnesses identify her. The goggles have an important night vision function as well as giving her more of a cat-like look and further obscuring her face, and the whole thing is black to allow her to blend better into shadows, not purple or green or even gray.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

I thought Death was based on Tori Amos, or was that someone else?

That's Delirium, their sister.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

No, that's Lorraine.

I thought she was Density!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mister Mind posted:

THAT WAS THE GREEN LANTERN HOUSE IN LOS ANGELES DAMMIT. :mad:

(Guy and Kilowog beat the hell out of each other (and the building) for fun. And then it fell apart, on Arisia's head.)

No, he's referring to Justice League International Annual #2, when Guy, J'onn, Booster, and Rocket Red rebuilt Scott and Barda Free's destroyed house in an ugly mix of styles, but Guy's ring-generated nails faded away and destroyed it all over again.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love that Starlord costume, but then again, I greatly preferred his look from the Abnett/Lanning series to his more generic Bendis series/movie look. The jacket and jodhpurs give him much more of a cool retro/pulp/swashbuckler/American Flagg/Rocketeer style that works for him, but the current mask doesn't quite fit with it. It's almost too alien-looking, which is what I've always disliked about it.

I could see that costume working better with more of a '90s-style headdress with that, the kind of thing that wraps around the sides of his head but still shows his face and hair, perhaps with goggles or a retractable visor, but still allows artists to show him emoting without constantly taking it off. Think of Gambit, Booster Gold, or Animal Man.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 18, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love that Iron Man armor and would really like an action figure of it. My favorite Iron Man armor of all time might be the Mark I suit from the first movie, so his is like a cleaner, more symmetrical version of that.

Samnee's Ant-Man/Giant-Man design is awesome, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I know I'm in the minority, but I still love that costume of Psylocke's. It's very feminine and even sexy without being a one-piece bathing suit, and it shows that she was mostly a noncombatant (at least back then) who needed some extra protection. The hood and cape gave her a more "mysterious psychic" vibe.

Havok's classic costume, with the eggbeater on his head and the dog collar, is one of my all-time least-favorite costumes, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I also liked how her mask was open on top to allow her purple hair to flow free if the hood was down, but otherwise was a Flash/Captain America/Daredevil-style mask.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is that Japanese Ghost Rider?

Sunfire from Age of Apocalypse. A great design, I've always thought.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I actually liked Cap's World War II costume the best, from the first movie and the end of the second.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's a shame, because I absolutely loved his Marvel NOW! costume from just a few years ago. I even bought the action figure, since it was a great blend of his classic costume and the modernized movie look.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Cap's World War II costume from the first movie is my favorite of all his costumes, ever. It still works for the modern era as well, with no updating required. It makes him look like a soldier, a pulpy sort of adventure hero, and a man out of time.

I wish they had made a decent action figure of it (not including the super-expensive Hot Toys version).

But then again, my all-time favorite look for Iron Man is his clunky Mark I armor from the first movie. The helmet reminds me vaguely of the Rocketeer, which probably has a lot to do with it. I have that action figure, but the head is tiny and it's generally too small and short.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have to have Spider-Man emote through his mask, but I'm a much bigger fan of the big eyes, a la McFarlane, Larsen, Bagley, and Campbell. To me, he always looks creepier and less friendly with the small, Ditko-style eyes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
9 was always my favorite of Jean's costumes. I liked it when the X-Factor Five all had similar shiny costumes with the X-motif, but in different colors.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ferrule posted:

I wanna see a cross-over with White Tux Moon Knight and Black Tux Grendel.

I can't believe how much I want this now. Grendel has always had one of my favorite masks in all of comics, and he just looked so drat SHARP and classy but also terrifying when he wore the mask with the tux. And "Mr. Knight" in his white mask and tux looked awesome as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Not quite feeling this Rancid cover.

I understood that reference.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Jim Lee strikes again

that loving Deadshot :barf:
And I can't believe that Katana not only has not gone through a redesign yet but appeared in a TV show and a big budget movie unchanged.

I REALLY liked Captain Boomerang's new costume from Brightest Day, which has stuck throughout the New 52. People forget he used to look like an old-fashioned stewardess, with his light blue shirt (blouse) with puffy sleeves, emblazoned with the boomerang pattern, and his little fast food worker-looking hat made of matching material. When he came back to life wearing black and dark blue, with the long coat, the bandolier strap of boomerangs, and the watch cap, with the white scarf remaining from his original outfit, it was a terrific look. I even have his DC Universe Classics action figure, and it's one of the best ones they ever made. Seriously.

But he looks like a hobo in the movie, and he just looks DULL in that picture by Jim Lee.

And I'll agree that Deadshot had one of the best masks in comics, thanks to the late Marshall Rogers. I haven't minded tweaks to his costume over the years, but that simple gray form-fitting mask with one eye and the targeting sight over the other eye was iconic. I liked how some artists drew the mask so tight that you could see his facial expressions through it -- see also Spider-Man, Deadpool, and Deathstroke. But this looks BAD. It looks like one of the Leviathan guys from Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors series. Overly complicated for no good reason.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Flying Fox would actually be a decent Silver Age superhero name, but I don't know about Sugar Glider.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Flying_Fox_

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Uhm if she's going to fly I think panties are a good idea.

Especially for Melissa Bemoist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I fail to see how this is a negative.

I imagine all big-breasted goth women hold a secret conference once a year to share fashion tips and sacrifice their worst fan to a dark fertility goddess

Larkin Love was their keynote speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Whenever I see someone with the name Ezekiel, I think they must be Amish or from a similarly ultra religious background. Like, a Children of the Corn background. It just never penetrated pop culture enough like John and Michael and all those other bibical names.

Religious, almost certainly. The central character of the great new Netflix show The Get Down is named Ezekiel (and goes by "Zeke"), but he's a half-black, half-Puerto Rican kid in his late teens, growing up in the Bronx in 1977 (which means he would have been born in the '60s). That all computes.

• Locked thread