Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

GaussianCopula posted:

Alaba would make us even better though.

We won the loving world cup, how much better do you have to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

dex_sda posted:

yeah I think indirect free kick for dangerous play + yellow was the move there. it wasn't a real foul cause higuain ran into neuer more than anything, but the knee was really brutal and unnecessary

I like this idea. Making it so that keepers can't bump into players without giving away a foul would certainly make corners and free kicks more interesting and draw in more american fans.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Hey, like I said, I think that shouldn't be punished with a foul/penalty kick/red. And from a personal perspective, that was one of the most awesome things done this match. But you gotta admit there was something excessive about the challenge.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I agree, Pipita nearly hurt Neuers knee there.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

dex_sda posted:

Hey, like I said, I think that shouldn't be punished with a foul/penalty kick/red. And from a personal perspective, that was one of the most awesome things done this match. But you gotta admit there was something excessive about the challenge.

There was nothing excessive about the challenge. Players can and do get injured in 100% legal challenges.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

i think the ref owned, it was obvious he didn't want a penalty kick to decide the winner in such a balanced final

there were a few situations where he could have easily issued yellows to both sides but didn't, i really liked his work during the match

schweinsteiger getting mauled over and over at the end was hilarious though

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

There was nothing excessive about the challenge. Players can and do get injured in 100% legal challenges.

Neuer jumped exactly right. The standard jump for a keeper is with the knee up to guard against another player catching them in the midriff. Not to mention he cleanly won the ball.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
great game, great world cup.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

ManlyWeevil posted:

Neuer jumped exactly right. The standard jump for a keeper is with the knee up to guard against another player catching them in the midriff. Not to mention he cleanly won the ball.

Also knee-up kips extra upward force into the ascent and generates a higher leap, which was necessary for him to get to the ball at all.

Higuian was brave to approach the ball having seen Neuer run off his line, and he paid for his miscalculation with brain cells.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

hopterque posted:

He basically says "I don't give a poo poo about that garbage who the gently caress cares we won the world cup that other poo poo doesn't matter"
What was the question? Can't watch the video on my phone

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Hoops posted:

What was the question? Can't watch the video on my phone

Whether or not he is sad that he didn't get the golden boot again.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Im glad Rizzoli didn't make an rear end of himself and make the game about him. The non-call on the knee to Higuain could've gone either way, I think a yellow might've been hard to argue but a penalty or a red would've been way over the line.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

The Finn posted:

no one cares about you
Fair enough. I was literally at a sports concussion conference in Chicago when I posted that so watching the way they 'treated' him and such was pretty infuriating.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Concussions aren't real anyway, yes he was a bit dizzy but he could have played the doc just didn't have the balls to OK it. The player should have acted like a man and gone in the pitch himself...now he just looks like a p*ssy

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Gigi Galli posted:

Im glad Rizzoli didn't make an rear end of himself and make the game about him. The non-call on the knee to Higuain could've gone either way, I think a yellow might've been hard to argue but a penalty or a red would've been way over the line.

But why the free kick to Germany?

He had a very good game otherwise though, fair play.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Gigi Galli posted:

He kinda did, a bit, though he was probably instructed to. His whistle went off way too often and kinda killed any chance of the game building momentum.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Concussions aren't real anyway, yes he was a bit dizzy but he could have played the doc just didn't have the balls to OK it. The player should have acted like a man and gone in the pitch himself...now he just looks like a p*ssy
After tireless research, most agree that the key is to rub a bunch of dirt on your head and not be a loving bitch.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

DickEmery posted:

But why the free kick to Germany?

He had a very good game otherwise though, fair play.

He did well other than his refusal to show a 2nd yellow to Masch.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

He did well other than his refusal to show a 2nd yellow to Masch.
Agüero, too, that hit on Schweinsteiger was pretty nasty.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

double tackle into schweinsteiger's foot was the best, i've never seen something like that

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Palpek posted:

double tackle into schweinsteiger's foot was the best, i've never seen something like that

I think Matuidi in to Onazi's ankle was better.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Why did Messi choose to switch the side you start on at the beginning of extra time??

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Bishop posted:

After tireless research, most agree that the key is to rub a bunch of dirt on your head and not be a loving bitch.

Unironically believe this.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xachariah posted:

Why did Messi choose to switch the side you start on at the beginning of extra time??

Um, you change ends at the start of extra time? He didn't decide to, that's what happens. You change ends after every half...

This is what you're talking about right?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

JFairfax posted:

Um, you change ends at the start of extra time? He didn't decide to, that's what happens. You change ends after every half...

This is what you're talking about right?
I remember he won the toss and choose to play on the cameras left. I don't think there's any special reason why though, like you said it's only for 15 minutes

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I must have not been paying attention, I always worked on the basis that at the start of extra time you just switch ends and go again, do they do a fresh coin flip and get to decide ends again?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JFairfax posted:

I must have not been paying attention, I always worked on the basis that at the start of extra time you just switch ends and go again, do they do a fresh coin flip and get to decide ends again?

They do. Messi won and decided to change sides.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

one of the field lines on that side didn't run straight and it triggered him

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Teron D Amun posted:

one of the field lines on that side didn't run straight and it triggered him

lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't believe it's over

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Best world cup in quite some time.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tarquinn posted:

Best in the last three years and 11 months, imo.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Tarquinn posted:

Ended with me begging an uber driver to pull over so I could puke.

Good loving show Brazil 2014.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I honestly never thought any World Cup could eclipse France '98, but this World Cup has been hilariously good.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

frankenfreak posted:

Best in the last three years and 11 months, imo.

Are you sure? Lot of talk ITF about last year's

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Palpek posted:

i think the ref owned, it was obvious he didn't want a penalty kick to decide the winner in such a balanced final

there were a few situations where he could have easily issued yellows to both sides but didn't, i really liked his work during the match

schweinsteiger getting mauled over and over at the end was hilarious though

schweinsteiger looked like he won the world cup via unanimous decision.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Guys I'm sad the World Cup is over. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

• Locked thread