Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

I take it you guys have never driven around Montreal if you think Alberta potholes are bad.

I'm getting married to a girl from Toronto in a month or so. Things I have learned happen in Alberta that don't there:

Frost heaves
Cutting off buses
Hail during summer thunderstorms
"Ginger beef"

Things I have learned happen in Toronto that don't here:

Real Ultimate Potholes
U-turns
Free concerts
Cantonese restaurants
Hail during winter snowstorms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
yegg
"yeg"
noun (NORTH AMERICAN) informal
a burglar or safecracker.

So what's the closest road course to Calgary then? I've been muttering about getting in some track time on my bike for years now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's more 1A between Banff and Louise, and it's a fun drive when no one's around, but it's got a piddly limit and I think you need to buy a park pass to get on it.

762 between Bragg Creek and Millarville is good too, was completely dead when I was out there last week.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

a 400k mcmansion

In 2005

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Immediately reminded of the Lobster Claw Bandit

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Underpowered, on fire, wearing a knockoff italian suit?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think it's probably just inept craftsmanship like the Calgary pedestrian bridge that ended up not fitting on its pillars.

They've got that sitting on the pillars finally, though I don't know how they fixed it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

It's probably not a massive savings, but could be 10-20%, so it's better than a poke in the bum with a sharp stick. Most Uni/Post Secondary institutions and some big companies have preffered group rates. I know Apegga (the professional Engineers/Geo group) has pretty good rates. If you can just find out where the U has a deal with, you might qualify even if you're not technically a student or faculty.

APEGGA would be TD Meloche Monnex.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just put the summers on my speed, so my apologies in advance if we end up with four weeks of snow

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

Benelli? BSA?

If it is Benelli, Pro Am in Calgary used to sell them but gently caress if I know if they'd still have anyone who would work on them

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

You're going to Deerfoot Meadows? BECAUSE ONLY FOOLS GO THERE.

I bring a length of pipe and go to Okotoks instead, or if I'm at work I'll go to Crossiron instead. Way less busy at both of them.

The only thing I miss about living at Beacon Hill is the easy access to Costco gas.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I got run over in a crosswalk by a K-car near Beacon Hill.

Do you own a K-car?

Nope, just Mazdas, a Ford, and one lovely Nissan.

E: serially, not, like, all now.

Phy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 27, 2015

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Starting to be Winter Tire Time again. Who's good around Calgary for mounting tires?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tommychu posted:

Especially since they lost half a dozen of their best MPs. There really isn't anyone significantly better around anymore.
Which sucks to have to say, because I'm pretty sure they'd have done better with Jack Layton's corpse propped up Weekend at Bernie's style running the party.

My friends, love is stronger than anger, hope is stronger than fear, and the party is stronger than death

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

I can't believe that spring is here. Going to be paying the annual registration and insurance on the Moldwing tomorrow and start riding it this coming week.

This is the first year I can remember where I haven't sat on renewing my registration til April/May.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I might also recommend investing in some driving lights for those nights when it's pitch black, there's nobody for 50 km either way, and Bambi decides it's a good idea to hang out on the verge

Source: my folks lived up in the Peace region in the 90s and drove a Topaz that lit up like the sun

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I munged a wheel on the Speed, sliding into a curb (entirely my fault, I'm an idiot.) Still holds pressure but I should probably replace it before it shits the bed. My winter wheels are apparently 17"s off a Mazda6, I'm wondering if there would be any wreckers or tire shops in southern Alberta who would have OEM wheels on hand. The dealers can get 'em, of course.

I found a dude on Kijiji up in Edmonton with exactly what I need, but I have no real way of knowing if he's shady or not, considering he's selling "new in box" wheels for like $100 less than the dealers want.

e: I googled his name from the email, there's a guy with that name working a parts counter at a Mazda dealer in Edmonton. Is this likely to be legit clearing out old stock?

Phy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 20, 2016

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So the guy asked me to call the parts counter at the dealer, which I did (number he gave me was the same as the one on the website), and he literally says it's overstock they're selling at cost, they've got a bunch which is why he's cool with selling one-ofs. Put me through the system, sent me an invoice from the dealer.

I don't know how much more legit I can expect it to be without dodging salesmen on my way through the shop.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's really generous, man. It's already on Greyhound though, should be getting it in a day or so.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So apparently bus traps are not common at all, and I'm only familiar with them because I've spent most of my life in Calgary, where it's a regular occurrence to see people looking dejectedly at a car with its back wheels in the air, half submerged in a hole the city put there on purpose

When my wife moved out from Toronto she couldn't believe they were a thing that existed

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
One other thing is we don't have regular inspections or emissions tests, that I'm aware of anyway. Out of province vehicles need to be inspected, but once they're in, they're in until they rust to the ground

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Yeah, we post a lot when the weather sucks, but holy hell is it beautiful out there today. Looks like we have a whole week of it ahead, too.

Whats the scoop on smoke from all the new fires in BC, though?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm putting my V-strom 650 up for sale, link to my kijiji post is in the Sell Your Crap thread in CA

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cause I got a ZRX1100 :haw:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Whats the scoop on smoke from all the new fires in BC, though?

Oh, here it is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I don't think we even got 5 months without snow on the ground :(

Last snow was in, what, May? That's definitely when I swapped my tires.

I bet against the weather and lost and ended up changing back to winters in a BP's parking lot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So according to their FB page, those guys that were going to build a track outside Carstairs have all their approvals in order and plan to start building in April.

I'm low key stoked but I'll also believe it when I see it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
♩Life costs less in Wetaskiwin♬

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

I went to Edmonton and adopted this lynx point coon.
He's slightly under weight at 25lbs, and the Vet wants to see him up around 30.
His name is Scuddles. Not my first choice in a name but he comes running when you call him by name. Sometimes I call him Scud. Like the missile.

Next on the list: Shark IQ Robot vac.

Scud is a great name for a cat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw the rarest thing in the universe the other day: A Ford F-150 in Beddington with an NDP bumper sticker.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
No idea what the traffic is like, but my brother did tell me they just finished repaving the 1A west of Castle Junction, so that's open again. (east of is still closed.) He also said it was quiet for him. I was thinking about running up the icefields parkway this weekend...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Somebody tell Hinshaw to blink twice if she issued that directive under duress

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm real excited to be able to put in some track time without trailering or riding up to Edmonton (which I never bothered to do)

Was at dinner with my brother tonight and he was really impressed by Area 27 out by Penticton too

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually had to dig my car out to get traction this morning, that hasn't happened for a long time - usually my snows and letting the lsd go to work are enough

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why the gently caress did I put my bike away??

Oh, right, the gravel

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

Someone in this province has exquisite taste.

Best car/plate combo I've seen in a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Any news on this? I had my phone on silent and didn't hear the actual alert but saw it on my phone a few minutes later. Turned off the dryer and held off on the dishwasher.

It would suuuuck having a brownout when its like this.

e:
https://globalnews.ca/news/10224558/alberta-grid-alert-day-two-polar-vortex/

According to a followup article on the CBC, that Leif Sollid guy stated consumption dropped 100 MW within seconds of the alert, plus another 100 in a few minutes, and nobody went into blackout over this. Also, apparently this is the first time our grid has dug into battery storage.