Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

the pickup owner had his tow mirrors out which was a signal that he wanted gay truckstop sex.

Funny how that works. I always feel like some gay truck stop sex when I'm towing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Trucks have had plugs like that since Christ was a cowboy, except with a regular male 110 plug behind the flap instead of some proprietary BS. It's usually set onto the panel under the driver's door too, so you're less likely to forget to unplug it and drag your extension cord down the road looking like a moron.

We've got those on the fire trucks, except they have an auto-eject solenoid. You hook up keyed 12v to the thing and it blows the plug out as soon as you turn on the batteries.

These. They're like $200 but totally worth it. I squirreled one away off of an old truck that we sold off and will use it if I ever put in a block heater.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Yup I've been bringing in a ton of lightbars from hongkong and they typically arrive in 7 days.

I am intrigued by this statement. What kind of light bars? Off road/white light stuff or whacker/fire/ems stuff?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's pretty awesome. Thanks for the pointer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That stinks of desperate overreaching and young kid naiveté.

We've probably all been there to some extent or another earlier in life. I know I have.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Other option if they don't pursue getting out is just dealing with it and bomb/bake the house to kill everything. It should be reasonable to do now with it empty. Are professional treatments pretty successful?

I've heard they are when done properly and especially with an empty house/no carpet. Seems that most of the problems are soft goods in the home recontaminating it (beds, sofas, clothes, suitcases, etc). We had a bad spate of them around this area a few years back. Fortunately I didn't get any.

This still doesn't stop this from being a really lovely thing to have to deal with and something I'd be afraid to use for a couple months after bombing just to make sure those fuckers are dead (they will die on their own without a host).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Sigh. Thinking of trading in Jeep and pickup for a Unimog.

Specifically, the yellow 1988 u1250 in this list
http://www.unimog.net/exchange/

Hydraulics front and rear, 3 way tipper bed. 6000lb payload rated. It would do everything my Jeep does but better, and everything my truck does, but better.

I'm not really sure what the decision is here. If you have enough cash and/or other things to trade for a Unimog you should do that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Mostly just going from two modern vehicles to one big loud shakey 80's or older vehicle.

How is that not the best part?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks like fun.

It will be even more fun when you start using the entire track :)

(seriously, work on those lines - it's one of the most interesting parts about learning to drive fast)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah that's where I start to have a problem.

My '86 GMC safari can technically tow 5,000lbs if you throw a tranny cooler on it and hook up trailer brakes. You really don't need a F350 or a huge rear end trailer to haul a couple of quads and a dirt bike.

I'm not sure you know what a toy hauler is.

It's an RV trailer with a drop gate "garage" in the back. Popular around here with hunters that make camp for a week or so off the grid, as well as some racers. You can bring you quad/car with you as well as have a living space. Most of the nice ones have a pass-through from the inside of the RV and you can prop the gate straight out and use it as a porch.

They are heavy. Especially when loaded with provisions and a car and poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

The 2 door versions of those were going for a good markup for a few years. A buddy purchased one, and 3 weeks later had his salesman call him offering to buy it back at a few thousand over what he paid. I don't remember when that was, maybe 2005 ?

That buyback sales tactic/scam has been going on for that long?

Not surprised.

Don't attribute it to value.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tommychu posted:

The only time running a bobcat is tricky is when you're used to one brand's control scheme and you try to operate another - there's absolutely no standardization for the bucket controls. If you take your time they're not bad at all.

ISO supremacy!

(if you have something new enough to be selectable)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

It's getting a 3"/6" drop in the spring... (Full Race Motorsports also has a EFR 7163 kit capable of 1000hp)

Wow...it needs it just like the Chevies have for quite some time. DAT WHEEL GAP.

Do people think that looks good now? Whatever happened to just tucking under the fender flares for flex?

Regardless of that: badass. Very nice purchase.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Totally off topic, but any of you guys have any experience or knowledge of drywall trades, or more specifically spraying a ceiling?

Have a bit of an unfortunate scenario that's happened and I need to put a rough price tag on something for negotiation purposes.

A relative is building their home and it looks like the builder royally screwed up. The contract was written for a knockdown ceiling throughout (one of the few things the owner was specifically insistent on and actually got it written in the contract) and the ceiling guys sprayed a standard splatter coat ceiling instead. I am pretty sure the builder screwed up in the communication with the subtrades as communication is not his strong suit. It's a relatively large home. About 1800 sq/ft on each of 2 levels, with vaulted ceilings on the main floor... so about 3500-3600 sq/ft of ceiling.

Anyone have the foggiest clue as to how much would it cost to hire a a ceiling sprayer to remove the freshly laid and finished 3600 sq/ft of splatter coat and replace with a knockdown? I'm thinking it must be in the thousands but I really have no idea, I am just guessing.

The builder obviously does not want to do this (the walls are already sealed for paint and the cost would be even more horrific with scheduling) but he is offering a $600 credit due to the screw up for the homeowner to live with it... which to me sounds comically low considering he would be within his rights to force him to change it. Nobody wants to be a dick but I would like some intel for just negotiation purposes.

I'm thinking $600 might be the cost difference between a splatter and a knockdown, but that's even just a guess. Anyone have an educated guess?

Why knockdown? I mean.....it's nearly as shite as popcorn. But at this point the only way to make it truly correct is to re-rock it and put the coating you really want on (which is flat - popcorn and knockdown are only a thing for cheapness in order to cover lovely taping jobs because ceilings suck to tape and mud).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I think somebody asked about this in the past but where's the best place to find some some of that generic yellow foam stuff?

My dog threw up on the couch and its so old the foam drat near disintegrated trying to pull the cushion cover off so I'm thinking it time to replace all of them.

Fabric store.

And it's not yellow when it's new :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Crisis averted for now. Apparently I don't understand technology at all since factory resetting my router made it work. No clue why connecting the modem directly to my PC gave no internet this morning.

Most modems will lock to the mac address of the first device they connect to, requiring a reboot to connect them to a new device.

Now sanity would dictate loss of network link resetting the ARP "table", but no.....that would be too much like a well engineered product.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

I have a wood stove in my basement that I haven't used in a couple years. I think the chimney is plugged. I tried to "burn out" whatever was in the chimney and it pretty much ruined my romantic evening.

Is there a way to unplug it without yanking the fucker apart ?

No dude.....don't try to burn it out. If a proper chimney sweep + camera inspection is somehow out of the question you can at least drop some chains down there (which is what we do in the FD to knock the poo poo out during a chimney fire). But seriously.....do it right, which is a pain in the rear end and the right stuff cost more than hiring someone. So just hire it done right.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

K, this chimney was added and framed after the house was built. The chimney goes straight up from the stove, does a 90* out the wall, then another 90 straight up the outside of the house. I have one of those brush things I guess I just need to put it on the end of a snake or something ?

That sounds easy. So yeah, pull the 90s and get that brush through there (annually) on whatever you need to make it go far enough. Pull the outside 90 and jam it down the chimney from the top, pull the inside and jam it outside, then close of the stove and jam it down (that's gonna be the messy part....let the dust settle before you open it back up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Such a shame when you look at a high end sub like a Cayenne Turbo and it has a Bose sound system. Same with Cadillac. The new ct6 has something like a 32 speaker bose system. 32 cheap as gently caress overpriced lovely glued paper speakers.

I had to buy a $125 MOST adapter (copper to bose proprietary fiber optic) for the replacement head unit for the cayenne because of that poo poo. Eventually I'm gonna gut those loving speakers and amps out of there and replace them with something that cost 1/2 or less of the factory option price and sounds twice as good.

Also, you can't get a second battery in the cayennes with bose because the loving sub is in the way. I would have much preferred a factory second battery.......but you can't find a turbo without the kitchen sink of options up right up to what I actually wanted: advanced offroad package (which is impossible to find). I mean....I like the rest. Full leather everyfuckingthing and heated seats and poo poo is nice. But the bose is a PITA, and mine is so old that it didn't even have bluetooth.