Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ah Ha, real funny mother nature, you oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gently caress shopping locally forever. They sold us up the river, we'll flush em down the shitter.

went looking for computer speakers at a local computer store, visions, future shop, and london drugs. 100% of what was available was either logitech or bose.

Same with car parts. double the price and always a day away. From now on it's newegg and rock auto.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, it's supposed to be -26 with a wind chill of -34 tonight with no warning about it.

A couple of records were set today.

Grande Prairie
New record of -34.8
Old record of -28.9 in 1966

Edmonton International
New record of -30.0
Old record of -32.8 in 1961

Pincher Creek
New record of -34.6
Old record of -27.8 in 1896

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a whole pile of bad ideas at the ritchie bros auction in saskatoon tomorrow.

50k km celica GT4 https://www.rbauction.com/1998-celica-gt-4?invId=4333245&id=ci
140k celica GT4 https://www.rbauction.com/1998-celica-gt-4?invId=4333244&id=ci
15k RX8 https://www.rbauction.com/2007-mazda-rx8?invId=4344743&id=ci
100k RX8 https://www.rbauction.com/2005-mazda-rx8?invId=4333242&id=ci
roadmaster hearse https://www.rbauction.com/1991-buick-roadmaster-hearse?invId=4333241&id=ci

ritchie bros isn't usually the normal market for this kind of stuff, so it could go super cheap. It's all from the estate of a guy who had a bunch of tractors and farm equipment, so that's probably why it was all dumped there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

just a drat shame it's a 305.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tommychu posted:

I don't like ST205s and I don't like RHD cars but I'd almost throw a cheap bid down on one of those Celicas just for shits and giggles. Is their online bidding system decent?

it's pretty drat good, but you need to put a 25% hold on a credit card to bid, so to have $20,000 in available bidding money, they put a $2,500 hold on your card. It can take up to an hour to confirm your deposit and stuff, so if you plan on bidding, get it done soon.

It doesn't look like my payment has hit my card yet, so i'll have to keep what i have to bid with for when the trailers come up. It would be way too hard to own a wankel without being able to trailer it around, so unless one of the wankels or the low mileage GT4 goes for like, 3 grand i'm gonna have to sit this one out.

You can watch/listen to the auction live without bidding and stuff, just to know what you missed.

edit: The 15k km RX8 went for $8,500. miled out 106k RX8 went for $3,750. Probably could have made a decent dollar on them.
Celicas went for $4,250 and $3,500 but had no importation paperwork or anything with them.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 2, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gas is 69.9 in edmonton :toot:

There's a clean looking celica going through regal tomorrow with "engine noise" and a $2,000 reserve.

Could be a good flip.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-toyota-celica-gt/1026628953

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Do they let you fire it up for viewing?

unless it sounds like absolute death, they should fire it up and drive it across the block. you can hang around it while they start it if you wish.

it's got a CEL too, so a code reader should give you some idea. I'm guessing it'll just be misfires all over the place.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Meh, if it goes particularly high over reserve it's not going to be a [i]great[i] flip. The market on those things is so saturated I'm starting to think about that gen's GT-S, just because they're getting so cheap.
That being said, there's also lots of 1ZZs in the yards these days for that reason.

Well, as a back-up, there's a mark V with a $2000 reserve too.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1979-lincoln-continental-mark-v/1042320496?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

gas IS getting cheap again, afterall.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Sorry, but trolling kijiji found another one. $12K Maserati.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-maserati-coupe-cambiocorsa-coupe-2-door/1028429356?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If you could get away with re-bearing it and a sucker for punishment, it might almost be worthwhile tackling. If the motor doesn't even turn over, whelp.

The transmissions in those things were garbage too. You'd probably do better to swap out the whole drivetrain.

maybe a f22c or wankel, just piss everybody off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

These gas prices are wonderful i filled up for $39 in edmonton this morning, and will get 600km out of the tank.

It's a shame the exchange rate is offsetting the fuel price drop at the grocery store. I only took a hand basket, how the gently caress is that $150 worth of poo poo?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the unimog also has a bajillion gears in forward and reverse.

Edit: another train derailment outside Wainwright. 23 cars off. One split open. It was full of glue.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 11, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

So is the market going to get flooded with repo'd Raptors soon? Because I'd be OK with that.

Every car dealership in Alberta is going to have a clapped out repo raptor on the front corner of their lot for $59,999.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

71 grand wouldn't even cover ralph's liquor budget or redford's family vacations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

The oil rich kids don't live in Edmonton or Calgary. They're in Hinton/Edison/GP/Mac. And 400K will get you a pretty nice place in a few of those towns.

yeah, but then you live in one of those towns.

Have you ever been in the edson walmart? it's somehow more depressing than a regular walmart. It has about half the lighting, and bare concrete floors.

mcmansions are still a mil out there too, they're each on their own couple acres instead of side by side though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I used my truck to punch a hole through a knee deep snow drift so i didn't have to shovel a path through it, i got stuck because i forgot to put it into 4x4 before doing so. After thrashing around to get out, my wheels are now super clean, and the truck is still super dirty, it looks awesome. all my attempted pics turned out as blurry crap, i'll try to get one in the morning if i remember.

Also, 16* and sunny on sunday in calgary, that's going to be....wet

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some serious poo poo going down by schlumberger in red deer here.

http://www.reddeer.ca/whats-happening/news-room/rcmp-news-releases/rcmp-2015-01-26-incident-at-mckenzie-road.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess somebody tried stealing a truck out of the schlumberger parking lot, got caught, and pulled a gun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gas jumped 11 fuckin cents a liter overnight.

you're kind of numb to that poo poo when it's going from 1.30 to 1.41, but when it's going from 72 to 83, that's a big jump.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a road rally, in grand touring class, you can't go over 130kph, and there is a target time for each stage, you get dinged for going faster or slower than the target time. There are a couple classes for electrical timing and no electrical timing, and that's where the co-driver comes in.

They're not giving you turn by turn course directions, they're managing time.

i have researched this a lot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

or you can just wait for breaup and drive up and down forrestry trunk road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

if you're looking for a dedicated rally car, CPA in calgary somehow ends up with "out of country, parts only" cars that go for $300-$500 in running condition. Last auction there was a legacy, the one before that there were diesel mercedes limos.

rallylimo would be pretty hilarious to see.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Timmy Cruise posted:

I saw an R33 Skyline today in Saskatoon. First one I've seen here. I find it kind of funny that people run a car with potentially JDM only parts on it in the winter.

Why is that funny? they can just overnight parts from japan.

There's a 4 door R34 in town here with primer all over it. It's a good looking car apart from that, shame we never got them here, only the dumpy G35/G37 sedans.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a big ol' can of worms. Expecially traveling into BC.

Legally, you'd need commercial plates, prorated plates at that, and a CVIP and safety fitness certificate because you're over 4,500kg and crossing a border. Although, you're unlikely to ever get caught unless you drive by a scale hauling something that looks vaguely industrial. Still, you'd need liability to cover any gently caress-ups, and cargo insurance apart from that. Moving people for money is an even bigger shitshow of regulations.

If it's just casual stuff offering half-gas rideshare on kijiji, i'd say go for it. Otherwise i'd find something more constructive to do.

Does that truck even get more than 15mpg highway? doing it in a 30mpg car would already cut your traveling costs in half.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Damnit all I want to do is get a nice tax return. Basically, I'm going to Vancouver all the time anyways, but I don't want to do it in a small car because, really do you want to travel hwy40 at night in a Ford Focus ?

It doesn't have to be a ford focus. My thousand dollar beater beemer does 30mpg. I'd take the increased risk of moose decapitation over a boring vehicle to drive. That and it would be a lot easier to get around Vancouver in something that's not a crew cab long box truck.

If you filed a tax return stating you used your vehicle for business without having an actual business to use it for, the gumbent would kick down your door and politely demand their GST cut of it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They ship quick, but even stuff ordered from the same warehouse in the same order shipped on the same day sometimes ends up getting split and shows up on different days.

Even after shipping and customs and the exchange you're likely to be at half the cost of getting stuff locally.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even if it does tomorrow, it'll take another 5 fuckin years for prices to get back near par.

Time to start looking at Europe. Once greece and italy completely poo poo the bed, the euro will hit par, and the mid engine cleo will hit the 15 year exemption.

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...s=EXPORT&noec=1

mm yes.

The year after that the TVR T350 and Tamora.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He died how he lived, scattered across a forest.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a canadian brewhouse in calgary that has donair poutine. They also have both the sweet and tzatziki sauce.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a chrysler transmission, you could put pure baby oil from fresh squished babies, and it's still gonna snap in half by 100k.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ex-cop tauruses starting to hit the auctions. most are AWD/cyclone with column shift, if they were the ecboost it would be a perfect car

so much room for leg activities.

I also saw a hellaflush EG hatch with a fart cannon rolling around the grocery store parking lot in neutral reving like an idiot. I don't know how the gently caress. There are a couple potholes on 67th that run right across, you can't avoid them. most roads have hidden potholes that wreck your poo poo with normal cars. one last year bent the rim on my bmw winters that have as tall of a sidewall as you can fit on the E39.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I didn't see, but i'm guessing around 3-5 grand with 150k.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Michener allen. They usually get added last minute. It's a shame ford even ever offered the non-turbo as an option. It would be pretty awesome to see $5k taurus SHOs everywhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I saw a truck with a sticker the the shape of newfoundland filled in with the mexican flag.

I don't know what the gently caress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jamal posted:

Maybe it was an Irish flag?

No, it was definitely mexico. Had the bird and the cactus and all that. The truck had stick-on chrome fender vents too, which further supports that hypothesis.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

From canpol:

Come on Alberta.

E: unless there already is one. I've never looked. :v:

In alberta we're allowed to shoot em :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1988-rolls-royce-silver-spur/1054958414

looks like it's going unreserved this saturday.

you know you want it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

That would end badly.

After getting lost during a co-operative training mission in southern russia, canada has seemingly entered war with Georgia, already taking control of it's capital.......Atlanta.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Top down in the snow for photos, engine running so you can see the smoke - I like this seller's style!

Buy this car, and throw in another $10 to get the seller a membership here.

This is glorious.

EDIT: A quick google leads me to think the Rolls will sell for $20K-$30K.

Nothing has ever sold for $30k at regal. I would think it'll go for 10-12 tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I just asked a question in the BFC-meets-AI thread about putting together $8K for a car in Onterrible (I'm moving there in a few weeks). You are NOT HELPING with the treacherous part of my brain that thinks one Alberta-registered car (Chysler 300M) is as good as any other (Rolls Royce Silver Spur) for switching to Ontario and passing safety and whatnot.

The next car I own - which the non-idiotic part of my brain says I will buy in Ontario in April or May - will need to carry a canoe, bomb down gravel and dirt roads in TSD rallies and other adventures, and generally put a smile on my face. The Roller would do that in fantastic style (picture that car with a green canoe on it - go on, I'll wait. Don't forget the nice layer of mud up both sides as high as the windows) and I can get to Calgary easily.

The auction starts at 11:00am, a surprisingly reasonable hour, and they allow internet bids. The excitable moron in the back of my head is SCREAMING at me right now.

TSD rallies and gravel road canoe hauling you say.....