Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have no problem with that. Dude obviously has the means and took a significant pay cut to become premier. If he wants to indulge his personal hobby so be it, it's just lovely for him that it made the news.

Granted optics, yadda, but if the guy has the personal means I don't quite get the big deal. :shrug:

How much was it anyhow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Norwegians are also taxed so hard that it would make even the most die-hard lefty in Canada think twice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

The oil rich kids don't live in Edmonton or Calgary. They're in Hinton/Edison/GP/Mac. And 400K will get you a pretty nice place in a few of those towns.

$400K will get you a much nicer place if you wait a few more months for the foreclosures to start :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The one thing we know for sure is that history repeats itself with this and it WILL come back. The smart companies with a financial cushion keep as many of their valuable employees as they can and cut the lazy driftwood free because the good guys are the first to be poached when sign start pointing to a turn-around.

I will also say that if you have yet to put money in your RRSPs and TFSA and have the funds to do so, it is almost certainly a good time to buy energy companies that are big enough you don't have to worry about them going tits up. It might not be the bottom yet, but it probably doesn't matter much.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

UnFriendly Fire posted:

We're already getting told at work that the "satisfaction of working for the public good" is part of our compensation.
Punch that person in the mouth for me OK?

I'm not even remotely close to being on the public payroll but jesus christ that's insulting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

I used my truck to punch a hole through a knee deep snow drift so i didn't have to shovel a path through it, i got stuck because i forgot to put it into 4x4 before doing so. After thrashing around to get out, my wheels are now super clean, and the truck is still super dirty, it looks awesome. all my attempted pics turned out as blurry crap, i'll try to get one in the morning if i remember.

Also, 16* and sunny on sunday in calgary, that's going to be....wet

Snow is gone down in Lethbridge so if I can wing it I'll break out the bike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

+22C and not even a whisper of a breeze. Goddamn what a Jan 26

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ex-MP car from CFB Suffield. Could genuinely be a good deal if you could get it for close reserve. Way cleaner and lower KMs than typical ex-cop cars on auction.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=179601&lcn=324970&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&ltnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

Diggin' the :whatup: rims

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I drove a Z31 for several years in a GP winters and it was OK.

In my experience, the biggest issue is ground clearance. Driving down unplowed roads where you are just following the tracks of previous cars you're going to hear all sorts of horrendous sounds as the snow/ice impacts the underside of your car and/or your front valance will start acting like a quasi-plow.

If that bothers you don't or really try to avoid those roads.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think I have one but I am in lethbridge.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I use Montana shipping in sweetgrass all the time... Once a month or so when the dollar wasn't so lovely. Haven't for a while now because of that. If you can avoid Saturday as it is a zoo.

E: They will hold items for quite a while no problem

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

What are people's experience ordering from rockauto into Canada ? Some searches say brokerage and shipping etc are all included in the price. I need some u-joints, ball joints etc.

Just talking to some guys in Medicine Hat yesterday about Rock Auto. They swear by it and don't have to pay anything extra. They even had to return stuff and before and they prepaid it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I wish we had reasonable OEM parts suppliers in Canada. When we bought our new Legacy I got stuff sent up to Sweetgrass from a Colorado Subaru dealer for, no joke, 75% cheaper than the exact same OEM items as the Canadian dealer even after taking into account exchange and Montana shipping fees.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shockingly relevant study for Calgary on CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-eats-big-data-meets-big-donair-1.2970610

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

AFAIK, we have a single donair place in Lethbridge. Found a corner place in Medicine Hat just this past week with a nice big serving (their large must be freakishly massive) but haven't had a really good donair in years.

What brings up another important question: Tzatziki or that east coast sweet sauce? I prefer Tzatziki with a hefty shot of hot sauce if available.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

A donair and a gyro are the same thing, right? In Missoula we have a ton of greek gyro places, and I get one on pretty much a weekly basis. I always think about trying that donair place in Lethbridge but it doesn't look very good.
Assuming you're thinking of the one I"m thinking of on McGrath in that dumpy stripmall next to the 2 Vietnamese restaurants, that's Sams and it's OK. Not great, but OK.

Their burgers are decent enough though. Frozen patties but he does a good job.

Dude is stereotypical though, slick backed hair, perpetually knocked up wife and photos of 80s Italian cars on the walls. He has the same Countach photo on the wall of his restaurant that I had in my bedroom as a 13 year old.

ExecuDork posted:

You do NOT want to spill " Tzatziki with a hefty shot of hot sauce" anywhere on the interior of a $140K 997 GT2; this is made more difficult by the driver's baffling habit of being chronically late despite always having somewhere north of 500 hp to work with.

Haha. No you wouldn't.

Also needs onion. Needs about a 6 pounds of raw onions. :colbert:

Not a fan of tomato on it though.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 25, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Best donair/gyro's in the world are in Berlin.
The best gyro I've had on this continent is Lonsdale Quay and the old greek guy (He was old in 1998 when I lived there... and is still there last time I checked) and would parrot each order as he threw it on the grill.

LAMB!!!!!.... BEEF!!!! .....CHICKEN!!!! with a huge lineup of people waiting as it came off.

God, that's one of the few things I miss of that place.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 27, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

On the way to Lethbridge, anything exciting going on this weekend?
Nope, nothing at all that I know of this weekend. A couple weeks ago there was a big auto swap meet where it's pretty much just a bunch of people cleaning out their garages, putting it on a table and grotesquely overpricing it.

DrakeriderCa posted:

There's always a party in slidebite's pants
Thats just for you baby :bigtran:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

The life of a Newfie: Can't hold job as Walmart greeter in a province that has no work. Books flight with Capital One mastercard to Alberta, gets hired on, skips from job to job making $10,000 per month, rents a single bedroom, somehow is broke at the end of each month. Shops for things by the bi-weekly payments. Has a sled, an ATV, A lifted diesel truck fitted out with every cheesy accessory from Newfie Speed & Sport (Canadian Tire). Don't forget the "East Coast Lifestyle" sticker.

Then the price of oil tanks, and the Newfie is now making $2500 a month and has $8500 in payments, a cocaine habit and a child with a Welfare queen. Time to head back to Newfoundland claiming he "misses the sea" and ignore debt collectors for the next 6 years.

Rinse repeat.
Sounds just as easily like an Alberta high school dropout, with the exception of moving back. Although you could replace "head back to Newfoundland" with "head back to the trailer park"

Powershift posted:

No, it was definitely mexico. Had the bird and the cactus and all that. The truck had stick-on chrome fender vents too, which further supports that hypothesis.
There are tons of Mexicans in Southern Alberta, although generally Menonites, possible one married a newfie? :shrug:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 2, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Originally yes, but there has been a large population from Mexico (even Belize) that come to Canada. Probably more accurate as "back to Canada" as I think most of them originally moved there from Canada orginally after WW1.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ExecuDork posted:

This. When I lived in Vancouver I got a special shot of schadenfreude whenever it snowed, watching idiots spin and crash all over the city.
When I lived there and it snowed I literally walked to work as it was faster than driving the 3-4 miles.

1500quidporsche posted:

Curious if anybody has any ideas for careers for a guy with an accounting degree and zero desire to go into that field. I'm currently an underwriter for an insurance company and miserable as its just more pushing numbers around. Looking for something more interesting in an industry that actually produces a tangible product or service.

Really don't want to derail the thread and sort of embarrassed asking this anyways so feel free to PM me if you have any ideas or suggestions.

I remember you talking about this before. I guess it would help if you narrow it down somewhat. Do you want to work with your hands? An office job? Work outside? Do you want to go back to school? 8-5? Shiftwork?

Browse, see if anything floats your boat and if your degree is enough for the prerequisite education requirements.

https://jobs.alberta.ca/jobs-dynamic.html

http://orae-jest.cfp-psc.gc.ca/JEST-ORAE/qcksrch.do?lang=en#res

http://jobsearch.monster.ca/jobs/?cy=ca&where=alberta

Join the Army

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was in Redcliff today and had to do a double take as I was leaving town. I saw a hoarder with about 15 Fieros in his compound in various states of disrepair, including a 1988 GT. Why? :iiam:

jonathan posted:

I've been thinking of doing a side business doing plastidip coating poo poo. The investment is low and overhead is almost non existent. And the product itself doesn't require the skills of a master painter
I think that would be neat to dabble in. If you plan on doing it out of your house though either go legit and get a business license (and take the tax perks) or don't advertise and keep it under the radar. I would like to do the rims on my bike in black but :effort:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would consider doing on my bike rims because I managed to put a gouge in it and it pisses me off each time I see it :argh:

Besides, it's a street bike and it generally only sees good roads so it would probably last a pretty long time. Pulling the clear off is a concern though if that's true, never heard it before but I'll assume you have.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well looks like spring has spring. Absolutely no snow left at all, gophers are out chirping away and most chucklefucks including me are breaking the bikes out

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That surprises me. In my experience the techs that put their cert # on those forms take it pretty seriously.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Not the insurance inspection, in my experience - OOP certainly (since they can make some serious money from it).
Out of province is what I was thinking. :blush:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ExecuDork posted:

Do you have to pay provincial tax when you buy or sell a car in Alberta?

My parents are giving me their car, a 2002 Chrysler 300M. I'm moving to Ontario at the end of this month, so I'll need to get the car safetied / out-of-province-inspected when I get settled in, and insured. My father sent me the registration - I had to apply the sticker this morning, so it's good as far as AB is concerned until this time next year - and as far as I can tell, as soon as I sign the form the car officially belongs to me. At the moment, it's insured by and for my parents, and I've got a letter from my father in the glove compartment basically saying "I'm loaning this car to my son" in case I get into any trouble. Am I going to get a tax bill from the Alberta government when I register the car myself in Ontario?

There is no PST in Alberta at all and they certainly aren't going to come after you for GST on what amounts to a private sale.

Ontario on the other hand might try to pull something if you bring it in if it's not registered in your name already. When I was transferred to BC many years ago, I had to show my Alberta registration and insurance or else the fuckers where going to try and charge me PST on fair market value for my own car and bike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

My parents still drive on all seasons in the winter despite them being considerably more well off then when I was a kid. I think for most people its either they don't have the money or they don't get just how much better winter tires are.
Don't buy into the BIG RUBBER conspiracy :tinfoil:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am probably going to be arrested next time I am in Taber, which is 2-3 times a week.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/taber-alta-bans-public-swearing-spitting-and-yelling-under-new-bylaw-1.2988992

quote:

It is now illegal to use foul language while out in public in Taber after council passed a bylaw outlawing swearing in the small Alberta town.

The first offence would cost $150, while a second offence could set you back $250 — and that goes for yelling or screaming in public as well.

"I’m in support,” Mayor Henk De Vlieger told the Lethbridge Herald. "I’m not saying this thing is perfect, but I think we should give it a chance and try it out, and let the police work with it. After a period of time, we might make some adjustments, but let's see how it works."

That's not the only new rule turning heads in Taber, population 8,104, according to the 2011 census. It's located about 250 km southeast of Calgary.

The Community Standards Bylaw also includes a $75 fine for spitting in public and a curfew on kids and teenagers from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily.

The bylaw also grants power to peace officers to break up assemblies of three or more people.

"No person shall be a member of the assembly of three or more persons in any public place where a peace officer has reasonable grounds to believe the assembly will disturb the peace of the neighbourhood, and any such person shall disperse as requested by a peace officer," states the bylaw.

It was adopted by Taber town council late last month and was also recommended by the police commission and Taber Police Service.
The Taber police force is pretty much a snowflake in Canada being genuine fully independent force for a small town. They give the vibe of Armpit Arkansas US which run speed traps as pure revenue generation and a way to keep busy and pay for their own upkeep. I see several times a year out of province cars being tossed/stripped out on the side of the highway for god only knows what.

The do have a drug problem in that town though, courtesy of the Mexican Mennonite cartels.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pfft. Saskachewan. That's like saying the Zoo has its own police force. It's kind of like an inbred thunderdome there.

I don't think anyone is going to make a charter challenge unless a lawyer wants to go pro bono and use it as a way to make a name for themselves. I'm sure the Mayor and police chief will be fielding calls from all over the world in the next while and probably be given honorary citizenship in Dubai.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Taber is in a bit of a situation because there is a crime/drug problem in that town courtesy of a certain minority group (not brown people/islamic) and if they tried to name that specific group as the target they'd be up in arms. It's their way of trying to say it applies to everyone, but it won't.

That said, I don't like the odds of the law being on the books a couple years from now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Didn't make the latest rounds as in didn't survive and you're laid off? Or didn't make as in you're not on the list?

If it's the former sorry to hear it man.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If anyone is interested, I've listed my Tacoma in the marketplace thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=12#post442623527

e: Tentatively sold

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 12, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

iv46vi posted:

Most of AB goons seem to be Calgary side, hope you guys have goon meets.
Oh god no

1500quidporsche posted:

Atleast Taber doesn't have the same problem with minorities that Caroline has.
Gay figure skaters?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

Speaking of pickups, here's the one I bought on Saturday.

What kind of tires are those? The look really nice and chewy.

I used to have an 04. I really liked the truck but for some reason it ate wheel bearings every couple years and went through bulbs like candy. Either headlight or signal light (can't remember).

That 6.0 can be a pig though and you'll have it if/when gas hits $1.30+ again.

Our 2011 Legacy with a 2.5 CVT was routinely pulling in over 1000KMs per tank on our US trip last year at 80-85MPH interstate driving. Was getting low but didn't even trip the low fuel light. I don't recall how many gallons/liters it took but it does have something like a 70L tank, so if I had to guess I'd say around 60.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 12, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I thought you just bought a Cummins or something for your RV? Or was that the Ex's vehicle that was returned? Did you lose your shirt?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Lolwtf

Anybody want pics of anything

That's that new micro Jeep? :lol:

Does ** at the bottom say:

**This is actually a joke. The MSRP is really $15,000 we just want to see if anyone would consider paying this price.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Haha, which town?

Regarding oil analysis, I am a big fan of it but to be effectively used you really need to trend it.

A one-off sample will only really tell you something if you are close to major failure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

One of my neighbours nominated me and the board voted and ratified it. So I'm it until the next annual general meeting next year though. gently caress.
Haha, nominations are the worst. It's the kind of like the "step forward to volunteer" and everyone steps back at the same time.

Sounds like it shouldn't be that bad though. At least get a sash to wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

Metal in oil isn't as bad as you'd think. Provided it isn't copper. Although modern bearings might not even have copper cores.

Basically some metal dusting and particles is pretty common. Its metal chunks that are worry some.

That really depends but that is why trending is what you need to do for effective oil analysis short of imminent failure.