Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

kidRiot posted:

Stupid question: how do I equip/buy a perk?

Garage Perk Button, I believe they are level based unlocks per frame now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

chestnut santabag posted:

Seeing as all research takes 20 seconds, are they going to reset research come launch day?

That will only happen until your time pool is exhausted. All the time you put into the system before was kept so you have a huge pool of time that is being put toward research. Once that is gone the actual times will start applying.

So no not going to wipe it.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Cheston posted:

How does the reputation system work? By which I mean, what is the reputation system? What are you actually boosting when you use a Reputation boost? Is it just dressing up the Voucher system?

To expand most POI's now sell Level appropriate equipment and other random stuff, like some have Crafting recipes and consumables as well.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Fina posted:

So seriously what is the Power Level stat and why should I care? The only difference between a level 30ish rare ROF mod and a level 7 rare ROF mod is the power level. I'm trying to figure out what Power Level even does and if it's just easier to craft a bunch of rare level 7 mods to stick in my guns.

It is basically your Frames Power level, literally as it increase a bunch of stuff but two important ones are Health and Damage. I think it was 1% Health bonus per 1 Power added.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
The old Modified base Abilities and Weapons are still in [except Soaring Afterburner] they are blueprints at certain POI's you can buy to get certain levels of the recipe.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Fina posted:

I just unlocked the Assault Lvl 20 perk that increases Plasma & energy weapon damage by 10%. I'm assuming that means it applies to Fusion and Thermal cannons, but what else is considered an energy weapon?

Raptor, Electron, and Accord Engineer off the top of my head are classified as Energy.

Really need a tooltip on weapons for Damage Type, still a couple UI issues like that floating around, like Raptor not seeing how many Charges their Perk has stored.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Apple Craft posted:

It looks like a few trailers combined. I think this is the one you are thinking of, and some of it is in the intro, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GtUcLktpxw

Yeah the Intro is put together from 2-3 other Trailers they have used before.

Hey Lemon King your name was dropped in a ARES Job Mission dialogue today, that was funny to find.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Thronde posted:

Used to be? It's still pretty good.

It is still good not the massive ridiculousness it used to be, now Raptor is overpowered thanks to Overload. Overload is straight Bonkers.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

xxEightxx posted:

So are they straight up bribing the playerbase? Are things really that hosed?

Those were supposed to be handed out for a event they were running where as you level at certain points a reward chest was given, nothing major mostly 1 use consumables.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Fina posted:

So why is the ammo capacity on the Fusion Cannon so low? It's the only weapon in the game that I have to burn ammo packs on in nearly every mission. Other weapons store enough ammo to take down an entire army.

There are a bunch of weird little tweaks like that which are sort of hangers on from previous Balance passes that are not really applicable anymore. See Bombs Away having very little damage as another example where the numbers are not quite working in the new setup.

For now I would get used to making sure you make the most of your damage, something has a sliver left just pull out your secondary and put a couple shots in.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Kaincypher posted:

I see. So the advanced frames can use 2 weapons, the base class only one. How about abilities, essentially same question: Is my level 10 Engineer going to be using the same skills as the level 40, only with higher power levels?

Generally speaking each Frame has a Weapon, Perk, HKM and 3 Abilities tied to it, but there are some Archetype Abilities you can get as well. These are generally modified Abilities like Rocket Turret being a Heavy Turret Modification but there is stuff like Burn Jets for all Assault Archetypes that is unique.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nalin posted:

The only conclusion is that Red5 hates the Fusion Cannon. That's why it has such a low ammo count and the alt-fire has been broken more often than it has worked.

At least it does not kill you randomly now.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

permanoob posted:

Probably been asked before and I really don't want to read the official forums because gently caress that place, but are we going to get invasions back? I saw a Chosen squad try and take over a watchtower last night but the guards are so buff now they killed the squad before I could get to it. What about incursions? Haven't seen an incursion since 1.0 either.

Chosen still attacks POIs in Sertao and OCT in Sertao has a Invasion like event that is pretty great. Incursions are only in DT far as I know.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Note he got in by having 9 other level 40 Alts, that is separate Account not Frames.

But yeah Raptor, kinda overpowered.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
It was added to solve Air Mobility issues in PvP, namely that you are really slow in the air by default, made shooting anyone jetting a breeze. Was really odd having Jets be a death sentence so Air Sprinting was added which helped somewhat.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Ralith posted:

It takes a lot of climbing to get to the exit, severely cutting into your resource take. There's no real reason not to just stay in and grab everything you can until you die.

Depends which Melding Tornado Instance you get, there are three now I think? Only one involves climbing, the other two are more distance travel and terrain navigation.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Fina posted:

I'm not sure what to think about the Afterburner changes yet, but I'm hoping this is the start of a trend where they make module diversity more useful for more skills. In the case of Afterburner only Recharge or Force did anything to the skill, nothing else had any difference in the ability.

I hope this is a buff for Afterburner though, or at least keeps it as good as it was. I hope they're not going hmm, Afterburner is too good for mobility let's nerf it.

They appear to be going through all the kills and trying to add more Modules effects to them, there were a couple other in there. Will have tot test it but it looks like a slight nerf to AfterBurner spam but you can do some absurd poo poo if the charges work like TrailBlaze. Like Arfterburner in then immediately Burn right out again, like the kind of thing Firecat can do now only with a single Ability.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

Sniping has its ups and downs. With some of these massive fights it feels pretty insignificant to be able to shot one enemy here and there. What I do is find a perch and then I use the grenade launcher to apply moderate AOE damage across the field and then I switch to the rifle to clean up the flying long range enemies. Those can be really dangerous when they become too many as their attacks become near impossible to dodge when you have 15 of them shooting at their own pace.

Hopefully there will be more AOE abilities and support abilities that even it out.

The raptor had a nice one were you fired a small beacon at an area and all enemies in the vicinity showed up on the SIN HUD as icons and they all received 20% more damage from all sources.

That is SIN Beacon which is a base Recon Ability, you may be thinking of SIN Scrambler, it lights up a single target on SIN and makes it taunt surrounding enemies.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

inkmoth posted:

So, toxic event rewards:

I currently have a mid level bastion (26 or so), and the rest of my frames are all in n00bland. While the 500 credits seems nice, I don't have a ton of time to play and am not sure what to buy. Leaning toward getting the max level rocket launcher so I can keep using it whenever I want, but I'll be sad that I can't use it right away. Is it worth the wait?

It is a fun weapon and it is an easy way to get a Blue for the max 3 Mod slots if nothing else.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Speaking of PTS looks like R5 have started it back up. Some new events and some returning ones also this:

quote:

Two new primary weapons have been added as drops:
•Plasma Flak Cannon, a new primary weapon for all Assault archetype battleframes.◦Fires a timed plasma blast that explodes to deal damage in an area of effect.
◦Will also explode in proximity of enemies. Great for destroying flying targets that are hard to hit.
◦Alternate fire consumes ammo to give the battleframe a brief recharge of energy and a small boost in the direction aimed.

•Bio Injector, a new primary weapon for all Biotech archetype battleframes.◦Fires needles that inject toxins into the target dealing an initial impact damage as well as damage over time.
◦Alternate fire applies a heal over time to friendly targets.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Morglon posted:

Well the new zone is a raging success. There's about 20 Bastions camped out right at the melding wall next to the crash site. Good luck getting your quests done ever. Also the Chosen excavators don't despawn so you're stuck fighting over scrap with about 50 other people.

Breaking Content with [Enough] Turrets is a time honored Firefall tradition, been going on since all we could do was Thump and Bugs could not climb walls.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nalin posted:

So far the new new new user experience is pretty good. They combined the old Battle Lab with the current NPE, with some other tweaks. Like lots of music. Also, wow, Copa has changed. But the biggest change of all? Aero has a new voice. I've been playing this game for over 3 years now and I just cannot get used to it.

Also, we lost the GOONS army on PTS. They deleted all the characters but didn't delete the armies. :(

She does not have a new voice, what you are likely hearing is Pre-VA Scratch recordings, what they use before paying out for the actual Actress, before lines are finalized someone in the R5 office just records the lines to make sure the voice triggers work and so on. Not much point paying for a recording session for stuff that is a work in progress.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nalin posted:

You know, that sounds good and all, but I just played the first mission (rescue Oilspill from Blackwater) and both Aero AND Oilspill had re-recorded lines with new voice actors. The same lines that are in the game right now.

http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/what-have-you-done-with-aero.6316321/#post-92063221

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Inimicul posted:

Have they mentioned a cap to these prestige levels? It'll be so nice to do the take back DT mission for all the loot, cash, and obscene xp and not feel like it's all being wasted.

Also, lol at the idea of possibly unlocking every frame in game with just one.

The words they keep using is "no Theoretical Cap", which may mean they have no Mechanical issue scaling forever but may cap some stuff for other reasons or just that at some point adding more points into something doe snot give much benefit since it is a scaling bonus not a flat one.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Inimicul posted:

Thunder bumping is alive and well with the new LGV changes. Walk up to a wall and activate LGV. Turn into a meteor.

It will live forever.

Combat looks fun but no way am I downloading the PTS right now.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/vague-update-state-of-crafting.6610721/

That Thread on the Forum has most of the Information we have on New Crafting, mostly from the Lead Designer behind it making several posts on the general principles in the design behind it.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
I kind of want to see what the walk animation looks like now since on live for Recons it is already pushing it a bit.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Baller Time posted:

Time to go full circle and just become this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvkwN8lCRFI

That never existed as a game, it was more a visualization of intent, like it was pretty close to when the PvE was first active but that particular footage was all smoke and mirror.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nalin posted:

Try checking your network settings. Firefall doesn't ship with high quality textures and instead downloads them on demand. You believe you should be able to allocate extra bandwidth to textures.

Which has the hilarious consequence that every time some reviewer grabs the game to look at it some random update or other they mention Texture issues.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Inimicul posted:

LOL! I remember this bug from alpha. The griefing got so bad (especially around printers) that R5 had to fix it. I don't know how they keep unfixing things. Especially things from sooo long ago.

I cannot imagine any Engine Coders have stuck around through every iteration of the Game, so how good do you think the documentation is between overhauls?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
A moment of Silence for the Assault Frame and Afterburner.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

xxEightxx posted:

What happened

Well they have been messing with it forever but mostly just me remarking on like the only thing I will actually genuinely miss when this game finally finishes its long slow fall down the drain.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Lazer Monkey posted:

I miss meld thumping..

The whole choose your own adventure style of quest design they had going at one point was pretty cool, Meld thumping with the Timed Curtain Push back being the best example. just another road half taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
RIP another Sci Fi MMO attempt.

• Locked thread