Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The place I work at blends duck fat into the tonkotsu broth, takes the creaminess and color up a notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

The fat in every tonkotsu broth I've had was clearly visible but fairly small, not big slicks of it. The visible fat in the Serious Eats recipe might be from the chopped fatback he tosses in. Anyway if the purpose is just to create an emulsion I wonder if a couple minutes with an immersion blender wouldn't accomplish the same thing, I use that to emulsify pasta sauces and make mayo and whatnot. Works great.

I used to work at a ramen joint and they would do that. Pretty sure they blended duck fat into the chicken broth.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

tokyo reject posted:

Proper Sushi Rice :discourse:

Saw some questions on sushi rice upthread a bit. I worked as a sous chef at Nobu for a couple of years and at a Michelin fancy pants establishment as a sushi “chef” (The usage of the term “chef” is a little different in traditional Edo style sushi bars than say a brigade style kitchen, I was basically a sushi “helper”, but most Americans would just refer to the job as “sushi chef” and not think twice about it.) for 3 years prior. I also make sushi at home all the time.

I feel weird telling anyone I’ve worked as a sushi chef since I was never the “chief” of anything. I had a hard time coming up with shorthand for, “I don’t consider myself a sushi chef but I made rice, broke down fish, made rolls and nigiri, etc.”
Sushi roller guy, that’s what I was.

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 12, 2019

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Miso and tomato are a good combo. Toss some in with a pasta sauce or make a miso-tomato broth for a soup.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

captkirk posted:

I have a lot of salmon (turns out, buying a salmon share from Sitka Salmon Shares results in a lot of salmon). Any recommendations on a Japanese preparation? Right now I usually do something like.a salmon misoyaki or if I'm really lazy, just bake the salmon, flake it up and then mix in with a spicy mayo to make a rice topping.

Nanbanzuke is nice. Fried and marinated in a vinaigrette. Looks like there’s a recipe on JOC, https://www.justonecookbook.com/salmon-nanbanzuke.
The restaurant I worked in prepared it a little differently. The fish was marinated beforehand, then deep fried, and served with more of the marinade.
They also had a delicious tataki. The salmon was rubbed in an ume paste before searing, and served with crispy brussel leaves and a good salt.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Made some vegetarian sushi and gyoza the other day for some friends.

I usually dust the bottoms of the gyoza in flour, but corn starch got me that extra crispiness this time.

Sushi rolls are:

Cucumber, avocado, cream cheese
Garlic mushrooms, avocado, power greens, carrot
Balsamic soy asparagus, red bell pepper, cream cheese, avocado

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

Both look awesome!

I'd love to start making vegetarian sushi with my partner who happens to be vegan. Any tips and/or suggestions on where to start for a total beginner to making sushi?

Thanks!

Like anything else, it just takes practice, so just dive in. Maybe start with some simple rolls. Just One Cookbook looks like they have some decent recipes/guides on preparing the ingredients (sushi rice, vegetables) and I think this guy’s video is pretty good on the mechanics of actually making the rolls:
https://youtu.be/40MiH9-FQ5w

Some key, basic points:

The rice is king. Cook and mix it well, then preserve its texture. You can be firm with it, but for the most part you never want to be mashing the grains. Like when you’re applying it to the nori seaweed, think more like you’re spreading it across the sheet instead of pressing it down.

Use a sharp, sharp knife. Makes everything easier and keeps everything together when cutting. Wet the blade before you cut a roll.

Wet your hands before handling the finished sushi rice, so it doesn’t stick to your hands. You want them wet, but not dripping. If you want to be a cool cheater you can get some vinyl food prep gloves and rub a dab of oil on your fingers and palms. Nothing will stick to you then.

Hope that’s helpful even though I didn’t go into too much detail. Feel free to post or PM me with any questions.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

captkirk posted:

I'm not sure because I never check but I would think that it's really hard to find a curry roux without MSG.

You could just buy some MSG and do some tests on yourself.

Just hanging out, drinking test tubes of MSG and placebo

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

What do you put in your gyoza? My wife is vegetarian and we're trying to figure out a good veggie dumpling/gyoza recipe, but I can't do mushrooms and cabbage is iffy, which cuts out two ingredients that come up in most recipes I see.

also how do you use the corn starch? do you just dab the gyoza in the starch before cooking them?

These I used: garlic, ginger, onion, carrot, power greens, mushrooms, sesame oil, soy sauce, and salt.

Chopped spinach, etc works fine instead of cabbage. I saw a recipe that used quinoa, so that might be something else you can try instead of mushrooms if you don’t want to use some kind of fake meat. Maybe even chopped rice noodles? Feel like I’ve seen that somewhere. I haven’t used either, though.

For cornstarch, yeah, just dip/dab the bottoms of the dumplings in it. You can do it when preparing them, not necessarily right before cooking.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Some nice lookin tuna, for sure

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

How hard is it to make sushi rice? My wife loves maki rolls but is also vegetarian and the veg options for sushi around here are limited, basically just the same avocado roll everywhere. So she wants to try and make sushi at home, which I'm all for, but I've heard varying reports about how complicated it is to make sushi rice, from "it's the same process as making any other rice" to "you must have a specially made bamboo screen and a specialized fan to carefully control the rate at which the rice cools" and I'm not sure I wanna deal with the latter, if that's true.

Give it a shot. It’s not difficult and you don’t need any special equipment. No need to complicate it.

Just keep it simple. Wash it at least 3 times and cook according to the rice instructions (usually around a 1:1 ratio of water to rice). When it’s done you can let it sit a few minutes if you want, then mix it with the sushi vinegar in whatever you have. At home I just use a medium or large mixing bowl.

You’ll probably be making such a small amount that you won’t have to worry about it staying too hot for too long. Can fan it if you want or just let the top cool a little and then mix it around some more so the rest can cool to a non-hot temperature.

Edit: And make sure to post it when you make it

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 11, 2022

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

I have this book which is pretty good. Looks like it's out of print again but it should eventually come back in print.

I have a version of this I think, that I found in a local used media store. Made the garlic misozuke for a dinner party and it disappeared pretty quickly.

Just One Cookbook also has some pickle recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

How about noodles? If she doesn’t plan on making her own or wants to use something other than instant noodles.