Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Technetium posted:

I thought only ME1 didn't have controller support because console ports weren't great then anyway but what the gently caress how does 2 or especially 3 not have it. loving EA.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-bioware-explains-why-pc-mass-effect-3-doesnt-support-gamepads

They claim that it was too expensive to add it to the PC version. How loving expensive could it possibly be. There's no way Unreal doesn't support it in the back-end and all the front-end poo poo was already developed for the console version.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Every time some new info comes out of their controller, I cannot but think back of the Xbone controller and the absurd fortune Microsoft spent on making different iterations of it including dumb stuff like capability to detect smells. And then they just went with what worked, a decision that if taken from the start would have saved them a disgusting amount of cash.

This line of thought is why every AAA title is the same loving game.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Everblight posted:

You also can only idle in one game at a time, or it drastically lowers the drop rate (from 1/hr to 1/8 hrs)

Where did you get that figure? I've never seen anything that specific for the lowered drop rates. If this is true (and the rate isn't reduced for every game you have open), couldn't someone idle in 16 games and get a doubled drop rate?

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I love how Ben Kuchera is paid to make obvious observations of things.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Drifter posted:

You should read some John Walker.

and then kill yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Walker_(clerical_historian)

Can I do that in reverse?

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"You are attempting to grapple onto something over 100m away. Would you like to upgrade your Grapple Length for 100-CosbyCoins?"
"UGHHHH!! This is so loving dumb."
*clicks Okay*

100-CausyCoins*

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

It is repetitive, but the game is built around doing the same things over and over to improve your ability to do them. I had fun with it, but I think its pacing is too slow. There are multiple goals for getting to the next star, but the days requirement is so massive, they may as well not exist. You're pretty much guaranteed to hit all of the other goals well before hitting the required amount of days to advance.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

If it's so valuable, does he really need to risk dealing with shady people to trade it away?

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

That was a fun night (bullshit drawful phrases notwithstanding). Thank you to Rookersh for hosting!

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Thoughts on Wasteland 2? Worth the $26.79?

It depends how much you enjoy CRPGs. If you enjoyed the original Fallouts or any of the Infinity Engine games (excepting Planescape, which is amazing, but a different beast), you'll enjoy it. The combat isn't quite as difficult as the old D&D games, but it's still way more tactical than modern RPGs. It's entirely possible to gently caress yourself during party creation, which I consider a big bonus to it. The writing is also good but not amazing; the inherent cheesiness in paying homage to 80's post-apocalypse fiction works against it far more than it does for it.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Orv posted:

The best part? That forty thousand dollar courier became worth around a thousand dollars at most a month or two later thanks to a patch. Which is still a thousand smackers for a virtual pig, but goddamn.

What did the patch do? I though DOTA2 items were cosmetic; it's not like you can nerf a skin.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

So I'm on the fence about Dreamfall Chronicles. It seems more expensive than any of the telltale games, but how quickly have the episodes been coming out?

It should be said that the game was supposed to be released all at once, but the developers opted to release it in episodes because funds were running low. I Kickstarted it, so I knew what I was getting into, but if you aren't already invested in the series, it might be prudent to wait and see if it's finished at all. (The episode is really good, though)

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I actually laughed out loud when the little girl volunteered to shut off the complicated machine that everyone else was unwilling to mess with, and NOBODY had any issue with her doing it. I'm enjoying it enough to play through the season, but The Wolf Among Us is leagues better.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

The prebuilt party is there for a reason.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

The Crysis series was really cool for the first three hours of the first game.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Ahahaha

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

If you're talking about Icewind Dale, yes it is on Steam for :20bux:.

The non-enhanced edition is on GoG for $10 and also goes on sale all the loving time. From what I've heard, the only meaningful addition to the enhanced one is higher resolution support, but that can easily be solved in the original release with a mod.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Ariza posted:

Also, who and why the gently caress did that pick that voice over for the main guy in Deus Ex? I normally don't really care, but his voice is so annoying and nerdy that it's hard to take

Since when is a deep gravely voice annoying and nerdy? The only complaint I have with the VO actor is how generic he is, but this video also exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flszuT3ROdo

So I'm torn on whether or not I like him.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I'm also doing the free trial for FFXIV and it's not really grabbing me. I really wanted to like it, but it's just ok. I'm a level 17 thaumaturge and it's decently fun and the armory system is cool, but I definitely wouldn't pay for a subscription right now. It's probably partly because I don't play many MMOs, so it's like there's a ton of weird terminology and etiquette that I don't know and don't really feel like learning. Is it any different past level 20 or is it basically the same stuff?

I've seen people talk about how the end game is really good, but it's still an MMO. It's never going to stop being an MMO and will always involve hitting keys on a hotbar and getting yelled at by strangers if you don't dedicate all of your freetime to the game. (I hate MMOs)

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That was a big disappointment, and it's pretty lovely that they're selling the games in that state.

Yeah, I don't buy pre-2003-ish games off of Steam anymore because of how uneven the support can be. GoG all the way for that stuff. I just discovered that they've even started releasing linux "versions" of some games, which are already set-up and tested Wine installations; GoG is such a good loving company.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

an entire operating system

SteamOS is just the Linux version of Steam running on Debian.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A lot of times when something becomes popular, it's usually a new twist on a stolen idea from someone that didn't market correctly. See: basically Blizzard's entire library. Minecraft. League of Legends.

League of Legends was similar to DOTA but was still Riot's own work. Valve aren't developing an operating system, they're releasing an existing one with their program pre-installed. For your example to work, League would've had to have been made under the Warcraft 3 engine and blatantly use huge chunks of DOTA scripting.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

That's a real oversimplification of what SteamOS is. It's definitely made off of a Debian base, but they've developed an entirely new suite of software and UI for it. And, if the rumors are true, an entirely new renderer (though they had help on that one.)

The desktop UI is just GNOME. I guess they made a custom skin for GNOME.

I haven't heard anything about new graphics libraries or custom drivers for it, though? Do you have details on that?

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

Wait isn't he the one who sells discounted steam games? I meant that guy.

Yeah, he sells discounted Steam games as a way of cashing out his fat steam wallet. I think he made somewhere around 20k in 2013? I remember him posting about trying to explain selling non-existent, pointless things to his tax guy.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

It's centered around the tension of managing your energy while still keeping track of all the animatronics. The creepiness of the presentation adds to this tension, and the simpleness of the mechanics allow for each day to be deeply polished. The first one is a legit good game, but all the others just appear to be cash ins.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm glad more developers are taking to the idea of a Blood Dragon sized game using the same engine.

Too bad they think the word blood is what made Blood Dragon popular.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Rookersh posted:

This is on top of DA2/ME2/ME3 apparently not being considered much of successes either ( the secret is that while you'd think those games sold well with how much fanfiction they got, they generally got stuck around the 1 millionish mark. Origins has still outsold all the Mass Effect games combined last I checked. )

The failure of bioware games just came up in the inquisition thread too. Where are you getting sales information from?

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Steam page posted:

- First-Time 3D Builder: For the first time, tracks can be fully manipulated in 3D.
- Deformable Terrain: Bringing back a classic feature – the terrain will be completely deformable allowing players to build amazing rides and change the landscape as they do so in full 3D.

:dance: No deformable terrain was the most disappointing part of 3; I just want to build the crazy, underground, Disaster Transport inspired rides young me wished existed.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought you could definitely change the terrain in 3 though.

You're right...who the hell wrote that feature list. I remembered being disappointed that I couldn't build enclosed rides, but I guess the issue was that rollercoaster tracks couldn't be built underground, but I'm seeing that was added in one of the expansion packs, so I think it might be time to install the complete set I bought in a GoG sale a while ago!

3D tracks ala Sim Theme Park should be cool though, if they're implemented well. I always loved the freedom Sim Theme Park's roller coaster's had but hated how they weren't as grounded as RCT.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Orv posted:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Get them on GOG, the Steam versions are a mess and do all kinds of freaky poo poo.

This but for every old game.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

their refusal to patch in the already-created console functionality (better inventory system, junk item categorization, controller support, etc) as an option for players is pretty crap, too.

To adapt the game to controllers better, Blizzard changed how enemies spawn and move; it's not just an alternate control-scheme to PC. Which is a shame because the core combat is so much more fun on consoles, it's ridiculous.

GreatGreen posted:

no offline mode for the PC version even after they removed the auction house is basically inexcusable and feels like a slap in the face to players

:lol:

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Drifter posted:

This is an interesting statement. Do you have any examples or additional reading that I could check out so I can get a better idea of what this entails?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-11-why-blizzard-wont-add-controller-support-to-pc-diablo-3

Blizzard Dev posted:

It's a bigger issue than just allowing players to use the controller on the PC. Because if I let you use the controller on the PC, then I have to let you use the user interface that goes with it, and if I give you the roll and I haven't throttled the number of enemies attacking you because the mouse-and-keyboard players can handle all those enemies, but with a controller you have too many guys... The games have really been structured to take advantage of their environment and their ecosystem

The interface argument doesn't make any sense, though.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Game of the Year

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

It's more than 16.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

lmao "nerds are storming fantasy" like nerds have to take back fantasy from anybody

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Pff, Fable. All I ever wanted in a fantasy RPG was realistic tree simulations but nooooooooo.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Literally every FPS campaign that followed it was influenced in some way by half life. Love it or not, it changed the path of the entire genre, so people rightfully call it revolutionary.

Unfortunately, this influence has been taken to it's absolute extreme in CODs pointless set pieces, but it had a good run. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Final Fantasy XIII is a 46GB download and roughly half of that is because they make you download both the Japanese and English versions of everything.

This was really stupid, but at least the game still runs if you delete all the Japanese movie files, which frees up like 20 gigs on your hard drive.

• Locked thread