Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Any goonpinions on Frederic: Resurrection of Music or Salvation Prophecy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hrrrrm... Does Trendy have any goodwill left at this point?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Orv posted:

On the one hand, I can get it for $6. On the other, far more important hand, unless it comes with a systemic change to the lovely grinding they added, gently caress off and die.

The implication I get from the store page is that the terrible "hope to god you randomly get an epic tier weapon so you can even attempt the highest difficulty level" stuff has maybe been fixed? Though it also sounds like they added more guff to sink time into, too.

Edit: As expected, SPUF is not pleased about it. I do feel like they should've dropped the loyalty price to $4.99 instead of $5.99.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 22, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Drifter posted:

All I'm hearing is that this game sounds like a small version of Second Life.

Way fewer giant dragon dongsMuch less mocking giant dragon dongs, I suspect.

Edit: I am bad at joke. :(

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 22, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The fact that the story mode was about 3-4 hours, tops, probably didn't help.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

hemale in pain posted:

Is there any really good must have Meridian4 games I should get? I was thinking of picking up Haegemonia just out of nostalgia

I was going to ask this myself...about the Haegemonia games no less. How are they?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OrangeSoda posted:

I can't seem to find the steam tech support thread that used to exist, can anyone help me? Every time I start steam it just closes on it's own in the background. Iv'e tried restarting and deleting clientregistry.blob, which it will not let me delete because apparently steam is still "Running" if I check my task manager. Attempting to kill the process there isn't doing anything.

The only thing out of the ordinary iv'e noticed is that it's been endlessly "unpacking" an update for Payday 2.

EDIT: Starting in offline mode and uninstalling the game worked at last, it didn't crash for once.

This was a few pages back, but how crowded is your harddrive? IME, Steam freaks the hell out if it's trying to do something without enough space.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Azran posted:

Holy poo poo Nosgoth is really fun. First match and I already have enough cash to buy some abilities, it seems. Founder Packs are 50% off so there's no better moment to jump in; I'd do so but my ping is 240ms when I play, and while the netcode is still pretty good, it feels weird. :v:

Assuming you're talking about gold, the store pretty much lies to you. The listed price is for renting unlocks for a limited time; permanent unlocks are thousands of gold. I guess on the one hand it lets you try stuff out before committing to it, but on the other hand it just makes me think back to the shittier iterations of Gunbound.

And IME the netcode (or maybe just vampire melee hit detection) is actually pretty iffy at times.

It's still really, really good though. Assuming you don't get stuck with uneven teams. Or people who have no clue what the gently caress they're doing and have no capacity to learn from their mistakes. Not that I'm still mad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

lordfrikk posted:

I "played" that. It's supposedly a good representation of how depressed people (with the actual illness, not depressed because you didn't win a lottery) feel like. Can't say either way :shrug:

It absolutely is a good representation of depression. Everyone should play Depression Quest. It is an Important Game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Kins posted:

It's an oxymoron?

Drifter posted:

I took an Important poop in my toilet this morning.

:jerkbag:

Not that I expected much from goons.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Drifter posted:

I'm not saying it's not an interesting game/novel, but come the gently caress on with that :airquote:important:airquote: bullshit. There are better, more influential and deep books (if you want to call this a game instead then I'll direct you to an ebook instead of a paperback) about the subject, non-fiction or fiction or academic. At best it's easily accessible.

I enjoyed it. It took me twenty six minutes to read through to an ending, of which there are several paths and endings. It's short and pretty cogently written.

I don't use the term lightly; there's very few other games that I know of that I would label as important, though perhaps I'm just biased. It's attempting to be accessible to an audience that is generally insular, uncaring (or just dense), and generally hosed up even without mental illness taken into account. And amongst that potential audience, there are definitely those that are struggling with depression or know someone who is, even if they don't realize it. I don't think the available literature is necessarily going to reach that same group of people. I guess you could argue that a ""controversial"" F2P CYOA game on Steam that's going to be swept off the front page before too long might not either.

But in general, anything that can effectively communicate what depression is like, as well as warning signs, and help further destigmatize mental illness, is a good thing. It's a game that's actually trying to talk about something that's legitimately a big deal (and without resorting to histrionics like some lovely PETA flash game or something), and I think that distinguishes it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 12, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HardDisk posted:

Doesn't the $15 level gives you AoEII:HD? :raise: Or is it a case of "everybody but me :negative: has it already"?

The cool kids got it for dirt cheap when Amazon screwed up during the summer sale. (Buying the expansion for $2.50 got you the whole thing.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jerusalem posted:

On to Bioshock 2 I guess, though I recall hearing it is pretty bad in comparison.

BS2 definitely has some clumsiness to it, in particular the way it sets up its story (it comes off like bad fanfic at points), and how it awkwardly carries over legacy mechanics without thinking them through (much like in Infinite, the inexplicable looting containers to shove food into your face thing). But that said, the actual core gameplay is improved in basically all ways and even if it sometimes strays a bit too far away from the feel of the first game, the map design is still really solid and overall more consistent.

I liked both games roughly equally. They both do some things right and some things wrong. :shobon:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Knifegrab posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to get back to the old handling of groups in the friends list?

AFAIK, the groups list has always defaulted to the group link if there's just too many members to show in the window. I'm not really sure if something changed or not because every single group I'm in is relatively huge. :shobon: If you're trying to organize games, using the group's chat is probably the way to go.

Justin_Brett posted:

Air Control? Nah, the real thing killing Steam is this goofy pigeon game with devs that don't insult you after they've stolen your money.

Not to mention all of the nigh-identical "F2P" Korean MMOs with $20 "starter" packs or w/e. Or the AAA releases of questionable quality for that matter (see: Thief). Just remember the #1 Steam thread rule: Any game you don't like must be shovelware.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 5, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No, THIS is the #1 Steam Rule:

And even then, you can probably at least halve that.
I don't listen to screenshots from shovelware. :smugbert:

Besides, I said Steam thread rule, not Steam rule. :spergin:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nilbog Resident posted:

I grabbed up Sleeping Dogs last sale because of how much everyone raved about it in the old thread, and I can't find a dedicated thread for it in the forum, so I thought I might ask this here.

I got the full version that came with all DLC/bonus packs. I started the main campaign with all of the packs turned off, and all was well. However, after the first mission, every single one of them activated and shot me up to near-max level in Police and Triad, gave me plenty of Face, $200k, a shitload of crazy vehicles, outfits, and I'm pretty sure there's a grenade launcher and an anime sword laying around my apartment. It took like 5 minutes of clicking to get through all of that poo poo.

Is there any way to make this, uh, not happen? I have no will to play the game if I'm basically starting it with what amounts to cheat codes. All of this stuff would be really cool if it were unlocked gradually and through gameplay, but coming at me like this it just instantly kills the fun and sense of progression for me.

Right click on the game -> downloadable content -> untick Top Dog Gold Pack, Red Envelope Pack, High Roller Pack, and Top Dog Silver Pack.

There's a few more you can toggle off if the bonus weapons/outfits really bug you, but I don't remember what unlocks what at this point.

e:mostly beaten

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 7, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just FEAR 1, which contains both expansions, which is why it's 17GB. Each install contains the whole thing. :downs:

Just to fully clear things up, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate are the two expansions for FEAR 1 that you're forced to install alongside the main game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

WarLocke posted:

Is this good? I always liked the aesthetics and the whole 'single-player MMO' bit is strangely appealing (I guess I'm broken that way) but it almost never goes on sale...

It's playable and enjoyable enough, and it gets a few points for going with a Celtic style instead of painfully rehashed Tolkien poo poo. Goons will flood in before too long to claim that it's entirely composed of "fetch me 10 bear asses" quests, which isn't actually true.

It has the same problem that any open world fantasy RPG has which is that there's just a ton of poo poo to slog through unless you stick to major quests and the combat never really substantially evolves past a certain point.

I only made it to one of the story DLCs (Naros), but it was interesting, and I recall hearing good things about the other one too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Any goonpinions on these two weeklies? I just happen to have the Steam bux sitting around to cover the cost of one.

Asteria - Terraria-esque explore + shoot that apparently cuts down on the tedious mining?

Terrian Saga: KR-17 - Yet another retro action platformer that looks to have some production quality behind it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Palpek posted:

Reprisal Universe - a stylish homage to Populous released. At least it looks real nice.

Also on the off-chance you bought the Indie Royale Fall Bundle like 2-3 years ago, it's available there (upgraded from the previous version), and apparently they're supposed to be giving out Steam keys at some point soon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lance Streetman posted:

Yeah, Noel has an Ezio DLC costume. I think Assassin's creed did a Metal Gear costume at one point as well.

Yeah, Snake got an Altair outfit in MGS4 and Ezio got a cyborg Raiden costume in AC: Brotherhood (as well as a goofy MGS shoutout in one cutscene). And then Peacewalker had a box (actually a bale of hay) that you had to enter via a leap of faith in order to unlock, at which point you could sneak around with it and do the AC hiding spot takedown.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 18, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Anonymous Robot posted:

So, I just bought Ironclad Tactics- been waiting on a sale for that for years- and for some reason I got Spacechem and its DLC as well? It's in my inventory, but not as a gift from anyone or anything.

That's part of the Deluxe Edition.

Relatedly, when the hell did I get Ironclad Tactics? Oh, it was a free week thing.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 19, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bagmonkey posted:

Has anyone played the Watchmen games on Steam? They are hella cheap and look like brawlers, but never even knew they existed.

Avoid.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Has anyone out there happened to run this on an older/less powerful graphics card? They have the GTS 450 as their minimum; I'm still running with a GTX 260. My card is the only thing under specs.

I wanna get my Rules of Nature (and 20 gigs of uncompressed video) on. :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Murdoch posted:

Has anyone out there happened to run this on an older/less powerful graphics card? They have the GTS 450 as their minimum; I'm still running with a GTX 260. My card is the only thing under specs.

I wanna get my Rules of Nature (and 20 gigs of uncompressed video) on. :(

Actually, on this note, I recall there being some talk like...uh...half a year ago, in the old thread...regarding new Geforce recommendations. Is the GTX 760 still the way to go? Or was it the 780? The more RAM the better (within reason/cost)?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Johnnyonoes posted:

Where is the forum link on a game's store page now?! drat you try hard UX design, Dammmnn yooouuuu.

There's a big button that goes to the community hub across from the game's title now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morter posted:

Has anyone who's ordered from Gamestop get their code already? I got an email saying the download code was ready, but my order history is empty.

For me the code was right there in the order summary at the end of the transaction. :shrug:

And on that note, thanks to all the goons who posted that the game can totally run on a GTX 260. :toot:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maybe you weren't actually logged in? There's a separate part of the account/order details thing for recovering orders made with a guest login. That's my best guess, anyway. This is actually the first time I've bought something from Gamestop since they dropped the Impulse stuff, so I was surprised they just handed over the key instantly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Downs Duck posted:

Really struggling with getting the 20 hit critical strike achievement in Batman: Origins, any tips? Didn't have this much problem with critical hits in game 1 and 2.

Important question: Do you actually have critical strikes unlocked yet? The game doesn't pony them up until about half way through, after you fight a boss in what is technically an optional side mission. Because Origins has some really, really loving stupid design decisions.

If you're otherwise seeing critical hits pop up before that, you're probably getting critical counters, which you get well before critical strikes for some reason.

Edit: I think you're actually on my friends list and according to the cheevos right on my activity feed you must have them unlocked already, so nevermind, I got nothin'. :v:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 25, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO if you want to play with friends of differing levels. All the zones are level-scaled, so if you are level 30 and go into a level 15 zone, it will de-level you to 15 while you are in that zone. Almost every MMO is almost impossible to play with friends if your levels are different.
City of Heroes. :sigh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Josh Lyman posted:

The most popular movie, by far, doesn't even include all the Voxophone audio logs. How would it even work? It seems like you get more than half of the backstory from them.

That just means it's more authentic to the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Just reporting in to say that I finally booted up Metal Gear Rising Revengeance and not only does it run like a dream on my machine with no noticeable problems (everything defaulted to medium and that was that), but holy gently caress it is so fun.

I'm not exactly that great at it...and I probably need to turn the sensitivity down a bit because of all things to have tons of trouble with it's Zandatsus (and those loving left hands :argh:). And also being terrible with a controller so my brain keeps mixing up parry and blade mode all the drat time.

But even then there's still little moments of brilliance where I pull off a sick nasty counter and annihilate a Gecko or something. I cheered when I got my first S rank. :3: On what I'm pretty sure is the easiest optional fight in the game but a large margin, but baby steps!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ddraig posted:

Protip: Learn to dodge. It's called 'Defensive Offensive' or something similar, and it's a badass move. It basically lets you ignore virtually every piece of damage in the entire game during the first few frames. Parry is good, but the best defense is a good offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99vyCca5RRQ

It was the first thing I unlocked, actually, though I regularly forget to use it. :downs: Thanks to Chip's LP I know most of the basics already (even had to explain to a friend that there's a store and also to buy the dodge ASAP). I watched that video the last time it was posted just out of curiosity. Completely forgot the actual technique until now, mind you, but I sort of vaguely remembered it existed! :shobon:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Niggurath posted:

So GMG is running a deal right now on the base level version of Nosgoth for like 1.69, where you get the same amount back in credit (so it'd basically be free) and I was wondering if it's worth getting for free. I was mostly just confused since it seems like a F2P game in the first place?

The paid Nosgoth stuff is all perk bundles that also give you permanent beta access. It's a F2P game but it's not actually out of beta and free to play yet.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 30, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Trying to pull a consistent vision out of Infinite is a tall order when the game reeks of reconstituted game loaf, desperately strung together with whatever assets were lying around after 5 years of development hadn't resulted in a finished product. I'm not sure how much of that has been conclusively proven, though I don't think it's far off the mark.

To answer the original question, the three things that irritate people about Infinite (or at least me):

1) The game is absolutely nothing like what the original demos showed. No game lives up to its hype, but at some point Infinite transformed into a different type of game, entire systems were fundamentally altered, and the plot was seemingly heavily rewritten. See above re: game loaf. There are signs of it all over.

2) The gameplay isn't necessarily bad, but the problem is that aside from a few high points, it's kinda mediocre. It certainly doesn't capture the gameplay of a Bioshock game, being too linear and too action setpiece focused, but at the same time falls back on awkwardly-placed legacy systems (eating food out of garbage cans for no reason). When taken as a new direction, a new spin on the Bioshock gameplay of guns and spells, the design never really evolves past the very first combat set piece where you can ride on the sky rails.

Only the Vigor-based enemies feel particularly interesting, but there's inexplicably only two types of them in the entire game, with one or two technical exceptions. Handymen are also a poor replacement for Big Daddies, and Songbird... Just, Songbird. :sigh: All other gameplay elements feel half-baked, confused, or just rushed (the two weapon limit and how it clashes with the ammo and upgrade systems, the use of tears in combat, borderline useless melee executions, the entirely pointless morality system, clothing being randomized and badly balanced, suspiciously having both a bog-standard FPS shield and a very similar Vigor, the fact that 90% of the important backstory is hidden in difficult to find audio logs, and gently caress it, Elizabeth herself).

3) The writing. I'm apparently an odd one out in that I don't absolutely loathe the metaplot of Infinite, though I can't disagree that it does fall apart at the very end, instantly evaporating everything it was building up to. Even outside of that plot, the main arc of the game is muddled, baffling, and at points, awful and racist. It lacks interesting characters and interesting motivations for those characters. The few it does assign it completely fucks up (Daisy Fitzroy, full stop, and they make it even worse in the DLC with an insanely stupid retcon, apparently). Entire story concepts are dropped almost instantly after being introduced (remember the intro where people are literally worshiping the founding fathers? pretty sure that never actually comes up ever again for the rest of the game).

The setting is never used to its fullest potential; despite being highlighted very early on, I was saddened that the concept of entire parts of the city being mobile was never actually utilized in story nor gameplay, and was largely just used as an excuse for dead ends in the map design. Unlike in the previous two Bioshock games, where Plasmids were fully integrated into the story of Rapture, in Infinite the Vigors are poorly elaborated upon and don't seem to actually interact with the world of Columbia outside of a few very specific spots, despite the overbearing advertisements for them that aggressively parallel the original game. Their inclusion feels more like an obligation to the Bioshock formula at times. Either that, or another sign that the game is pieced together from differing and incomplete designs.

When you take everything I just said into account (and I do think they're all fair criticisms), then compare it to how the gaming press reacted to the game, it's a bit night and day. "The Citizen Kane of games" and all that. All of Infinite's clumsiness and missteps are suddenly much more glaring as apparently clueless or corrupt (if you want to take that tact) and either way, uncritical game ""journos"" declared the game top score, Game of the Year, super smart, and basically perfect in every way. Instant recipe for resentment right there, as the hype bubble peaks and then finally pops.

Like most targets of Goon Hate(TM), the sheer ire for the game is probably overblown, but it's not exactly unwarranted.

Anyway that's my 1AM Bioshock Infinite effortpost. Thanks for reading, or not reading.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 5, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, if we are going to talk about stupid poo poo in Infinite, why aren't we talking about GHOST MOM?

The strange thing about that level is that it's the only one in the game that seems to most closely reflect the original design, albeit incredibly stripped down and with a few oddly-detailed side areas that scream cut content.

All I can think about the spoilered part is that they were trying to follow the tradition of *Shock games having ghosts in them. That's the best I got. :shrug:

Well, I will be fair - the three main subplots in Infinite, including that one, actually have a tangible purpose. They're meant to be reflections of Booker's past, as he's dragged through a personal purgatory of sorts and attempt to redeem himself. And while that thematic tie does kind of work, the way they're executed is sloppy (the first two) or bizarre (the third).

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 5, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

fatherboxx posted:

Sirens ressurecting soldiers were meant to be an ordinary enemy, and they were featured as such even in the marketing material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNB1peLQwTM

Game had a very messed up development

:doh: Oh, jeez.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Regarding Bioshock Infinite stuff from a few pages back, I honestly enjoyed it more than Bioshock 1, simply because it made guns actually effective. Between the enemies being really bullet sponge-y, the scarceness of ammunition and the fact that the wrench was so broken, BioShock felt like it failed as a FPS simply because you'd expect shooting to be an effective option in a first person shooter and it just isn't in BioShock.

:raise: One of my biggest problems with Bioshock was that if you went out of your way to scavenge for items (which is supposed to be part of the core gameplay), you'd quickly be full up on ammo to the point where successive item caches would be increasingly worthless because you hadn't used up enough ammo yet. This is mainly because of the annoying small caps on how much special ammo you could carry, presumably in an attempt to balance the special ammo in lieu of a proper inventory system. Though I also never really encountered any bullet sponginess on Normal..

That said, the feel of the combat was always lackluster in the first game. All of the guns are actually fairly effective, especially once upgraded (even the oft-maligned machine gun), but most of them are just unsatisfying to use.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Postal Dude isn't that bad of a guy; it's entirely the player's choice to make him do bad things. That's one of the themes of Postal 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The new IndieGala bundle might be of interest:

$1 tier:

Air Conflicts Secret Wars
Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
Wildlife Park 3

$2.49 for the next two days tier:

Thunder Wolves