Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eh, free's free. They've given out relatively new games for free, and they've given out old games for free. The mix is actually kind of nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's almost like turning Crysis into straight-forward CoD inspired shooters was a bad idea.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It was hilarious how serious they were about the story's plausibility. They really wanted you to think that North Korea could actually stage a full invasion of the US and win. It's a terrible idea for a game that was executed terribly and I don't know why people try to defend any aspect of it.

Fun fact, the game was originally written with the Chinese as the antagonists but their CIA consultant decided the prospects of a chinese invasion wasn't as scary as a North Korean one. :psyduck:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Azran posted:

Would that also get the game banned in China? I mean, Wargame: Red Dragon has a completely neutral depiction of the Chinese as participants of WW3, since it's just a modern RTS, and that still got the game banned in China because it just had the country available.

Yeah, that's probably the actual reason why they changed the antagonists to koreans, but it's still fun to read about their justifications.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

One of my favorites parts of Homefront's backstory was that Kim Jong Un was just so darn charismatic that he convinced South Korea to give up their autonomy to North Korea.

The backstory is described by its writers as a series of coin flips that could have gone either way. DPRK peacefully incorporating South Korea? Eh, a 50/50 chance of actually happening, sounds about right.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

What exactly is the point? I'm sure a bunch of the poo poo that happens in CoD would never happen in real life. There's really no way they could hand-wave some sort of justification for an invasion of US soil? You guys are acting like every Tom Clancy book that's ever had a little bit of an unrealistic storyline has no right to be serious in tone.

There are degrees of realism and believability. Homefront blows past Tom Clancy and CoD levels and is exponentially more absurd than either, all while wanting you to take it totally seriously. It's fun to laugh at that stuff and I don't really get what's hard to understand about that. If only the game was as fun to play.

Tom Clancy books and the CoD stories are all unenjoyable poo poo, too, though, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say by bringing those up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

What if I told you there are a lot of people that actually really enjoy Tom Clancy books :aaaaa:

You seem to believe that everyone needs to like the same things as you.

You're right, opinions are meaningless. Let's never discuss our opinions again and just view everything objectively like robots from now on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

Gee I wonder what's in the Top Sellers toda-

:catstare:

Well, top sellers are actually ranked by revenue and not sales. But that doesn't make that much less surprising.

Real talk, Archeage actually seems kind of cool in how it's trying to make this UO style open sandbox, but it also looks kind of flawed and lovely like many F2P korean MMOs. And apparently most of the cool sandbox stuff is hidden behind a paid subscription anyways.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Malek posted:

Texan, not Korean. But everything else is spot on.

Korean. ArcheAge is developed by XLGAMES, a Korean company, and was released in Korea years ago. edit: 19 months ago actually.

Mung Dynasty posted:

It's hyped up as some sort of sandbox MMO but what I played was - as somebody already said - bog standard MMO stuff. Lots of walking to exclamation points and then killing/collecting something.

Also it's weirdly ugly and empty-looking for being a new game built on Cryengine.

People still paying $150 for it, though.

Again, I don't think you can even get to the sandbox stuff without paying them for "Patron status" which is a $15 a month subscription. The sandbox stuff constitutes a massive third continent that is almost entirely player controlled where players can build poo poo wherever and that kind of thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 7, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Quest for Glory series was genuinely good. The entire King's Quest and LSL series were total garbage. There was like one good Space Quest game, maybe two. There's a reason people have way more reverence for the LucasArts stuff.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Orv posted:

Basically every good series that Sierra published was made by now-extinct studios. Impressions (Caeser, Pharoah, Zeus), SWAT, Homeworld, Tribes. Silent Thunder (the A-10 plane games), Lords of Magic and their adventure games are basically all they have left of their own.

Lords of Magic loving owned. I'd pay upwards of $20 for a LoM revival.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The sprite art looks real bad on that one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why can't all video games be 10 - 20mb like the good old days.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sober posted:

30GB used to be a fuckton a few years ago. Hell, I even bought a disc-non-steam copy of Max Payne 3 back when it came out because gently caress waiting for 30 gigs to download.

Now 50+ GB I don't want to do. Goddamn it current gen why did you decided to catch up now?

I guess this is true if you live in a place with really slow internet or bandwidth caps. 30GB doesn't take much time to download even with my modest 15mbit connection.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This video is a work of art.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Remote User posted:

Thanks guys. It'd be nice if they used that formula in a radically different setting.

You should play Expeditions: Conquistador. It's rather good, and similar to KB in some ways. http://store.steampowered.com/app/237430/

edit: Also, it's part of this $3 bundle apparently: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/reboot-bundle-6/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alpha Protocol has some really cool ideas and some fantastic dialog. Too bad the actual storyline is mediocre and the gameplay is kind of bad. The dialog is great, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No, it was $30 I think. Which was still probably too short for the price. I don't usually fuss over price to length ratios but when compared to what previous MGS games were, and hopefully what Phantom Pain will be, it was like a tenth of the content for half the price.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

homo punching bag posted:

I don't have Steam installed here so I just see a page about the game w/no "BUY NOW" button. Is it available today, or are they taking money and releasing it later?

Neither. Game's not done yet. On PC or console.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It would be seriously awesome if they release the HD collection as well but I get the feeling that Konami is already unsure about MGSV, and they probably don't want to go all-in on the PC all at once.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also people excited for MGSV should temper their excitement because there is virtually no way that The Phantom Pain gets a simultaneous launch with consoles. Expect it several months later, bare minimum.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lance Streetman posted:

Pretty sure most people still didn't play it, even then. Also most people went into Ground Zeroes very confused because it references the real ending of Peace Walker, which very few people actually bothered to get. Even among those who originally played it.

The only reason we're getting MGSV on PC is because the FOX engine was built with PC in mind.

Yeah, I know the engine isn't suited for PC, but that doesn't make the port impossible or even unprofitable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Isn't there a version of this now that just auto-idles all your card-eligible games at the same time, or something?

https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

Now where are the actual good visual novels, Gabe? :argh:

Steins;Gate's Japanese publisher is still afraid of Steam for some reason. Something about DRM disputes or whatever (Japanese VN companies always demand ridiculous DRM for digital releases because obviously downloads=piracy). So the best VN in English right now isn't going to show up anytime soon.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I heard a second guy say "I'm in love" which was kinda southern I guess. Are you saying the main character is using a southern accent?

Yeah, that's pretty clearly a southern accent he's supposed to have. Same with everyone else, except that one lady.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drifter posted:

Isn't The Phantom Pain like the Deus Ex: The Fall version to Ground Zeroes' DX:HR? Or is it the other way around?

The other way around... maybe? Ground Zeroes is like a prologue game. It's the only one that's out yet on consoles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

By "3D Prince of Persia games" He means Sands of Time and its subsequent sequels. Never under any circumstances should anyone ever play Prince of Persia 3D.

I think there was a remake of Sands of Time, but I'm not sure if it was any good. edit: wait, Forgotten Sands wasn't a remake but a sequel? Huh.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 16, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PrinceRandom posted:

I guess I reached my max sales? I got a red text saying I can't sell more than 200 things in a calender year unless i put in my tax info.

So put in your info. It's pretty basic stuff and they don't use it if you don't make a taxable amount of money.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kin posted:

From what i've found total war is based around giant huge army battles, but with a level of micromanagement required for smaller scale RTSs like starcraft.

This is absolutely not the case. Very little starcraft style micromanagement is required. You aren't controlling individual soldiers, managing health values, managing base building while in combat, scouting, and so on. APM means almost nothing. It's all about large scale tactics. You can pause whenever, too. I think there's a miscommunication here, because the TW series doesn't have much micromanagement at all. If the game feels overwhelming, just take it more slowly. You're probably overthinking things and aren't using the pause button.

I would say that Shogun 2 is probably the easiest to get into.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"HD re-releases" for PC games that have been "HD" for over a decade now are really lame. They couldn't have just released a widescreen patch for the original game? But then they couldn't get people to buy the same game again for literally no upgrade.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Wait is Long War actually good now? I uninstalled XCOM because I personally found Long War to be poo poo.

When was the last time you played it? Long war still has a few balance issues but overall it's really good with a much more interesting campaign where the aliens actually research, have resources to manage, etc, there are more classes with more balanced and interesting perk choices, combat with aliens that behave in a more rational manner, and so on. It's a great mod.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They're just running on a genesis emulator, and the emulation is pretty much perfect.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

I know it's been asked a million times but what was that non-SAM program that automatically idles in games for you to get card drops?

https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

With a brilliant pun name like that, how can you forget it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why have they not released Chu Chu Rocket on Steam yet? Just port the Dreamcast version over with the online mode and all. Add in steam workshop support for user made levels and I will be in eternal bliss.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

how me a frog posted:

But It's literally Gods will be watching except with no animation?

edit: I'm not saying it's a bad game and nobody should buy it, I'm just saying I don't get the H H H HYYYYPE over virtual plate spinning with creepy animals. \/ \/ \/

Hardly anyone was talking about it until you made your post.

Seems like a cool game though thanks for the heads up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well guys, prepare for your first Kamige. :smug: https://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/23/sekai-project-licenses-clannad-full-voice-edition-steam-release/

Serious talk, some people have posted here wondering when Steam will get actual good visual novels and welp, here you go. Clannad is perhaps the most respected VN ever made. It's a lengthy romance focused VN with no pervy poo poo that tries to actually tell a serious story. I've only seen the anime adaptation, but it was quite good, I thought. The art is poo poo, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You have a stack of hats. You scroll through the stack and press a button to jump the selected hat, causing all above it to jump as well. You have to dodge a series of birds and projectiles or else your hats will get knocked off. The goal is to build a really big stack of hats. There are various game modes with some minor differences.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've never had playfire ever actually give me any GMG credit. I just gave up after a while.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Also Australia is an awful country.

Name one country that isn't awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

He's a shitposter who has gone off the deep-end, that's about it really.

He used to be decent at shitposting, it's sad to see him devolve to such a state.

• Locked thread