Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

We'll always have the Battlefield 1942 wake island demo
Not anymore! Gamespy shut down, remember?

Anyway, from the dataminers: Some strings were added recently for two-factor authentication using the Steam smartphone app.

quote:

As an additional security measure, you'll need to enter the current Steam Guard code from the Steam app on your phone.

quote:

You are using Steam Guard with Two Factor Security. To manage your Steam Guard settings, please open the Steam application on your smart phone.

If your phone is permanently unavailable, contact Steam Support for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Everblight posted:

And it's nothing like Sonic. Unless I'm being :thejoke:'d
It's literally built on top of a Sonic fangame engine, which is probably where this is coming from.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

Isn't the artist like a furry Sonic guy too, I mean, the art looks nice, but the relation isn't hard to see at all.
Like I said, it's Sonic fangame folk making something not-Sonic. Luckily, Sonic fangame folk seem to have enough talent around (see the Sonic 1, 2 and CD remakes done for Sega) that it works out.

PowerBeard posted:

Dear TellTale Games,

Your games are exceptional and deserve every bit of praise heaped upon them. Your client and network for downloading them however might need some work.

Orv posted:

Their personal download network is honestly terrifying with how bad it is.
You're expecting them to run a digital distro service when they can't even make loading saved games work properly?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also in the beta files: An updated design for the Steam Controller:

Looks like they replaced the left "d-pad" with a traditional analog stick.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hey! Remember how EA gave the "Ultimate Edition" of The Sims 2 away to everyone who owned some other digital version of the game?

Well now they're giving it away to everyone for free until the end of the month, presumably to stop people from bugging Origin support to add their decade old retail keys to their account.

To get it, crack open Origin and redeem the CD-key I-LOVE-THE-SIMS before 10AM PDT on July 31st.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Acquire Currency! posted:

Where's my procedurally generated dicks at, Forest dev?
Pretty sure Rust has the bald-naked-caveman portion of the survival sim market well and truly cornered.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

Night Dive aren't the people originally behind those games, right? Have they done anything to make them undeserving of money?

404notfound posted:

I don't think Night Dive has any original properties. They've just been doing a bang-up job of acquiring and re-releasing old ones.
Yeah, Night Dive are basically a indie publisher that inexplicably manages to negotiate the rights to digital releases that were previously considered impossible. The only thing they've really done to piss anyone off is releasing the Humungous stuff in big chunks that kind of flood the "New Releases" bit of Steam's front page, drowning a few indies out. Which is a pity, but not exactly setting orphans alight.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

The gently caress? Why did they want to do it? That's just weird. I'd like to see them make the next CoD, or something.
Spec Ops: The Line was a long, emotionally exhausting (the art department's research got into some serious poo poo...) slice of development hell for a game that, while critically acclaimed, didn't sell a whole lot, so you'll likely not see see a sequel or spiritual successor for a long, long time, if ever.

Meanwhile...

Eurogamer posted:

Dead Island 2 at E3 was a bit of a surprise for a couple of reasons.

One, it's being developed by Yager, the studio that made critical darling Spec Ops: The Line. I didn't see that one coming.

"Gotcha!" Yager producer Michael Kempson beams. "Yeah, it is a bit of a strange one. But it was just really great timing and kind of accidental."

This is how the story goes. Yager was finishing up Spec Ops when Dead Island came out. It went down pretty well - despite its problems - because of how easily co-op could be set up within the studio. Maybe it had something to do with being banned in Germany. We always want what we're not supposed to have, after all.

Then, Yager heard on the German game developer grapevine that Deep Silver was after pitches for Dead Island 2. In the summer of 2012 Yager put a few people on coming up with a pitch, met with the publisher and smashed it. Deep Silver gave Yager the thumbs up. Now, in the summer of 2014, Dead Island 2 is in the middle of development, and is due out on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in spring 2015.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just announced for Steam: A HD-ish update of the 2002 Gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1! Apparently this is considered the definitive version, using pre-rendered backgrounds to kick up the polycount on the characters above the norm for the time.

New features (all optional) include improved artwork, non-tank controls, and a zoomed in scrolling camera to make the 4:3 graphics work in 16:9. It's scheduled for "early next year". I guess RE4 HD did pretty well, huh.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 5, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

I've had issues today too. New icon, new UI, but Steam is sluggish as poo poo and when I try to launch some games (DOTA is the best example), the games load really slow and when they start they stutter and are not usable.
It's because you're in the beta client.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
According to SteamDB, the recent beta client update stealthily added some new app types...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm sorry, did you guys miss the post about Geometry Wars 3 being a thing? Because you're not all screaming hysterically about Geometry Wars 3 being a thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

It is an Important Game.
It's an oxymoron?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

How does stuff like this even get made.

If it bears this crimson mark and isn't called "Jagged Alliance 2", do not pay money for it. Feel free to giggle from a safe distance, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Orv posted:

So Battlefield: Hardline has a REVOLUTIONARY new mode... Counter-Strike. 5v5, 1 life per round hostage rescue. :what:
I recently learned that the Asia-only F2P version of Counter-Strike has a Battlefield mode - A huge city map with vehicles, control points, and 128 players. Now this... dogs and cats living together.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is probably a good time to mention that mobile-based two-factor authentication is coming to Steam at some point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MooCowlian posted:

What's steams following like in China?
From what I understand, it's technically illegal. That's why Dota 2 has it's own special Steam client in China, "operated" by a Chinese publisher, just for that one game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why is it illegal? Because its foreign and/or little government control/approval over its contents?
Online games, as I understand, need approval from the Ministry of Culture and to be operated by a Chinese company. World of Warcraft, to give an example, has gone through vast amounts of bureaucratic chaos and censorship of anything remotely resembling a skeleton or severed head.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

You're implying that SR4 is better at doing anything in the series which is a fallacious train of thought.
It's better at actually running properly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

I had no issues running any other game in the series except Saints Row 1 because it's not on the PC.
If you have to download a DLL injection hack for your game to run at the right speed, it's not running properly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This doesn't seem to have been posted in the last couple of pages, so it's worth a mention: Left 4 Dead 2 has finally been given an uncensored R18+ classification in Australia. This is noteworthy because L4D2 was one of the first big AAA games to really fire up the debate for revamped game classification in Australia. Apparently Valve are "making plans to deliver that version to those who have already purchased the game" that didn't already get the US version through gifting or VPN chicanery.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm well behind the eight-ball here, but I just got around to playing and beating Anodyne. What a strange and enjoyable little Zelda-alike.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
General timelines for additional currency support, via the Steamworks Steam group:

quote:

Japanese Yen (JPY) – Released on 8/19/2014
Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) – Expected to release mid-September
Malaysian Ringit (MYR) – Expected to release mid-September
Philippine Peso (PHP) – Expected to release mid-September
Singapore Dollar (SGD) – Expected to release mid-September
Thai Baht (THB) – Expected to release mid-September
Australian Dollar (AUD) – Expected to release mid-September
New Zealand Dollar (NZD) – Expected to release mid-September
Canadian Dollar (CAD) – Expected to release early-October
Norwegian Krone (NOK) – Expected to release early-October
South Korean Won (KRW) – Expected to release late-October
Turkish Lira (TRY) – Expected to release late-October
Mexican Peso (MXN) – Expected to release late-October

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dawn of War 2 has shuffled off of GFWL to Steamworks, although LAN play, Referee Mode and pausing during multiplayer were apparently sacrificed in the transition.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

duckfarts posted:

Mgs v is likely being built in such a way that porting it will be easy.
Yeah, MGS5 uses Kojima Prod's FOX Engine, which was built with PCs in mind so they could get started on cross-gen and next-gen development early. I believe the Pro Evolution Soccer games on Steam use FOX, but they probably aren't quite as refined as a game by the engine's own developers will be.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Binding of Isaac Rebirth has been dated for November 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBb0M8HRCQ
This store page link will work sometime in the next few hours for pre-orders, with a loyalty discount for owners of the original game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/250900

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Malek posted:

Looks like that video is "private."

Wonder if the frame rates are still going to take a poo poo after 10 projectiles are on the screen.
It was originally unlisted. I guess they realized the jig was up...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Not even Microsoft uses GFWL anymore.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The SteamDB folks have reason to think that the Steam Store Redesign will drop on or around the 16th, since there were backend changes made in preparation during maintenance this week. Should be interesting...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just announced via a release schedule: King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match Final Edition and King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match are heading to Steam sometime this year.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

It's official: Rockstar are complete poo poo at porting. I remember someone itt saying that Max Payne 3 took so much disk space because each level had its own assets baked in, not using one pool. Wonder what GTAV will be, 50 gigs?
Each level having its own separate pool of assets is a common practice on pretty much any non-Valve multiplatform game engine, sadly.

IIRC a hefty chunk of Max Payne 3's filesize was due to 1080p FMV sequences.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mr. nobody posted:

I can't speak for Wasteland 2 but Divinity: Original Sin was a kickstarter backed game and came out to great reviews and financial success for the studio.
They haven't hit financial success just yet - according to the founder of Larian, Original Sin only broke even just recently - but seeing as it's only been two months I'd imagine the next couple of years will be kind to it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Is there still a Prison Architect thread somewhere? I finally got around to giving it a quick spin before bed last night and then I looked up and it was 6am and oh jeez.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Huh. I CTRL-Fed through every non-archived page of Games and didn't pick that up. Weird. Thank you!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you have the censored Australian version of Left 4 Dead 2, there's now a free DLC to fix that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gort posted:

How does that work, legally speaking? Have the Ozzies relaxed their censorship rulings or something?
Ever since L4D2 came out, there's been somewhat of an overhaul of the Australian classification system to implement an R18+ rating. It's still not exactly identical to the ESRB ratings used in the US, but it's a bit better than before. Last month Valve resubmitted L4D2 for an R18+ rating, and this is the result!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rirse posted:

Wasn't there one region where Left 4 Dead 2 had to remove some content, but then put in the AWP from Counter-Strike to make up for it?
Yeah, Germany removed... the Riot Cop special infected, I believe? And added some Counter-Strike Source weapons to the random spawn list as an apology.

Also, L4D2 is 75%-off for Australians (US$5) this week. Not that this really matters since it was free last Christmas, but it might be of interest to anyone who missed out.

EDIT: Oh, it's also 75%-off worldwide as part of the weekly deals thing. Thanks for making me look like an rear end in a top hat, Enhanced Steam!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 15, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, of all the stuff to complain about re: Origin, their Free poo poo Initiative has been pretty good so far.

That and, frankly, uPlay's busy showing us what a real bad DD platform is like.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In JRPG news, Final Fantasy 4 has been rated for the PC by PEGI (it'll probably be based off the 3D remake for DS and mobile, like FF3) and both the Japanese and English websites for Final Fantasy 13 are hinting at a Steam port of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This sale banner got leaked by the Steam registry a couple hours early.

It also leaked a banner for a "Talk Like A Pirate Day" sale for this Friday, which will likely involve Monkey Island games.

• Locked thread