Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Pengu! posted:

Are the Batman Arkham games worth getting for $5 each? I've heard good things about them, but I've also heard they have some sort of third party DRM which has been scaring me away this whole time.

No matter where you get them, the first two (Asylum and City) absolutely are. I haven't played beyond City yet, but the general consensus seems that they start to run out of ideas/characters and later games are a bit of a cash-in. I didn't notice any DRM in the first 2 on Steam, so if something is in there, at least for me, it worked seamlessly through the Steam client.

AA is a great metroid-beatemup-vania(?) with solid combat, fun exploration and well done stealth. My only complaint is the last few boss battles kinda suck, and by the end of the game encounters have gotten a bit repetitive (room full of guys with pipes and bats? Melee combat. Room full of guys with guns? Stealth takedowns.).

AC is a lot more varied, and instead of Metroid style areas you're in a GTA-style city and can travel freely. You keep all your gadgets and stuff the first game so you have tons of combat/movement options right away. I actually haven't finished it yet, if anything there's too much to do/collect and it can get overwhelming, but that's more my gaming ADD than a fault with AC itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Justin_Brett posted:

According to my 'rarest achievement showcase' I am better than over 90 percent of people who have played They Bleed Pixels. Feel pretty good about that.

Yeah, I don't know what the big deal is with some of those, maybe the game wasn't as popular as I thought. It's a really good/hard platformer, think a Lovecraftian N for Ninja. My only complaint is they seemed to develop it on a controller with only 2 buttons, so sometimes it's hard to perform the move you want (or more often, you do one you don't want, can't count the times I've accidentally dashed into my death when I just wanted to swing at something). I've got Full Bag of Treats which makes me 'better' than 99.53% of other inferior They Bleed Pixels players :smuggo:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

Yes.. re4 was the ONLY game ever that I think I finished ever. I've been playing games for like 20 years or more.. and im pretty sure that re4 is the only one I remember seeing the end credits for.

RE4 : over-the-shoulder action/shooters :: DOOM : FPS
One of the first, still the best :colbert:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shadow Warrior was -90%, that was a pretty good deal. It is giving me some issues where it crashes on startup, same thing that happens with Hard Reset. Flying Hog or whatever why do you make such unstable games that I still want to play :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheNintenGenius posted:

I didn't buy anything this sale... because I figure I can get trading cards if I buy games during the Winter Sale instead. :shobon:

?? It doesn't matter when/how you buy games, if they have trading cards you'll be able to get them. Whenever I get a new game that has cards I just idle in SAM overnight and wake up to 3-6 new items in my inventory. Sure it's just pocket change at this point, but if the game itself was only a couple of bucks that's still like another 25-33% off :retrogames:

\/\/\/ Oh right, I forgot about cards or other sale-baubles you get for spending hard cash alone, I'm so cheap I rarely get more than one or two that way per Winter sale :shobon:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 2, 2014

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

3008MB

Is it really short or something? The trailer didn't look particularly graphics intensive, but I'm probably still downloading Revengence from last night, that poo poo is 25GB.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any USA goons ever buy from uk.gamesplanet.com? They have X-Com Complete on a flash sale for under 8bux but I'm concerned about potential region shenanigans.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

Depends on the game, I got Arkham Knight (ugh) from them and it worked fine for what it was.

Yep just bought and activated XCOM Complete for $7.97 :getin:

All these drat Beaglerush videos are giving me the Final Fantasy Tactics itchies.

e:
Also I just got 75% off Warhams: DoW one and two, got em both already so if anyone wants 'em.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

Seriously. I picked up that Indiegala bundle of twelve of them last Friday and burned through like four of them over the weekend. They're like popcorn.

Does Indiegala give you individual Steam keys for each game? I'm trying to buy this bundle because these games are great mom-gift-fodder but I'm not sure if I'll be able to gift them to someone else if I redeem them to my account.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grawl posted:

Come on, there has to be some recommendations. I've already decided on Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons.

Kinda late, but this game was one of the best local co-op experiences I've ever had. My sister was one brother on my controller and I was the other on the keyboard, it's a lot of fun how they make the two cooperate and how one brother can do things the other can't.

Only 2 things I would mention going in: 1. there are some puzzles that require both brothers to rotate at the same time, I could never get this to work on the keyboard so for those 3 or 4 puzzles just use the analog sticks on your controller, and 2. the younger brother gets a bit more playtime than the older, depending on how 'gamey' your coop buddy is you may want to take him for yourself, or the opposite, just FYI.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Do you like Hidden object games???

Then BundleStars has a bundle for you: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/cryptic-bundle-4

Lots of HOGs that haven't been bundled before. Not Artifex Mundi but they still look ok.

Old, but thanks for pointing this out. I've been giving my mom HoGs for Xmas, Mothers day and her birthday for like 3 years running and I was not looking forward to having to actually shop for her again. This should let me coast through another year at least :thumbsup:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Electronic Super Joy is 90% off, pretty well reviewed, looks like a Super Meat Boy/N style platformer thing which is potentially my jam. Any opinions?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Justin_Brett posted:

Sorry for this being late, was playing Zero Escape.

Tower Defense July

1. Defense Grid: The Awakening
2. Kingdom Rush
3. Orcs Must Die
4. Prime World: Defenders

5. Spacejacked

Looking forward to your Defender's Quest writeup, I think it does the best job of combining characters, plot and gameplay in a satisfying way (the worst part are the cutscenes, which I still consider to be 'pleasantly janky'. I'm sure it was mentioned during the sale but they put out an HD remake that's free for anyone who already owns the base game.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Guerilla is fun but its one of those sandbox games like The Saboteur where you have the fortitude of wet tissue paper even on Normal so you want to play on Easy to have real fun with it.

+this. I played through most of the game on Normal and the way the game increases difficulty towards the end is to just make more enemies do more damage to you. I straight up could not beat the final mission and had to change it down to Easy. Combat isn't great anyway so just save some trouble for yourself and blow through the game on Easy. Knocking down buildings with a spacesledgehammer is pretty fun.

owl_pellet posted:

Is a two hand build viable in Dark Souls 2 (SotFS edition if that matters)? I beat the first Dark Souls as a dex-based pyromancer with enough of the necessary shield stats to block just about anything. I'd really like to get good at parrying this time around and I'd like to try a two hand build, and since you can parry with a two hander in DS2 I figure I'll give it a try as long as I can feasibly beat the game with it.

Since it sounds like you're just getting started, a pro-tip for the beginning of the game is that blunt/hammer type damage is super effective, so if you find yourself having a hard time killing stuff pick up a mace.
e: Oh and like Gerblyn said pump your Adaptability stat until you have 99 Agility. Your i-frames are now determined by that stat instead of your equip weight/roll type, which now only affects speed and distance rolled.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 7, 2016

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I should probably play Dark Souls 1, since it's been sitting on my account for years and I actually played and beat Bloodborne in the meantime.

What exactly do I need to do, there's some additional program I need to install right

Nobody agrees with me but DS1 had a great PC port. All you need to do is look up DSFix and spend 5 minutes going through the config file to set your resolution, skip the logos when you start the game etc. But leave the FPS at 30, the game uses it to calculate physics stuff so higher than that and you risk falling through ladders and not being able to make some jumps. And play with a controller if you can, the game was designed around it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lazorexplosion posted:

Yup I remember dark souls 1 was simply awful with a mouse before I found dsmfix, like unplayable. Both dsfix and dsmfix were apparently very simple tweaks, I remember the guy who made the fixes was like 'this is so simple to get right and fix, I can't believe they hosed it up'. I guess people are confusing their love for the game with their love for the port jobs themselves because DS1 was flat out an incompetent port.

The main difference for me is that there is no PC version of Dark Souls. A PC version would be one designed with PCs in mind and in that case things like low resolution, framerate and poo poo m+k controls would all be perfectly valid complaints. But DS1 has a PC port, which means we're playing a PS3 game on our computers. The resolution/framerate etc are all the same from the console because it is literally the same game. FROM never planned on a PC release and only attempted it because of overwhelming fan requests, and even then they were like 'gaming PCs aren't really a thing in Japan so we don't know what we're doing but we'll give it a shot lol'.

The fact that even with that the PC version is clearly superior (included DLC, Blighttown lag) and that it's crashed maybe 2 or 3 times in the 100s of hours I've put into the game make it my go-to example of a port done right.

Dark Souls 2, now that had a lovely PC version :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

I thought DS1 was unplayable on PC without DSFix? Thats what I remember at least from when I tried to get it to run. I had some issue and the only way to fix it was dsfix.

The kb+m controls were virtually unworkable, and the game continuing to show button prompts from the PS controller sure didn't help. The DSFix guy put out a separate patch just for mouse control that at least made it possible to play without a controller, though still far from ideal. Just imagine you're running a PS3 ISO through Steam EmulatorTM.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So which games have PC ports that are objectively worse than their originals?

Saints Row 2?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Higsian posted:

Is F.E.A.R worth getting if you actively dislike horror?

If you're a FPS fan the first one (and its 2 expansions) are pretty good. They bill themselves as horror games but that kind of goes out the window when you realize (slight gameplay spoiler I guess) you literally cannot be harmed during any of the 'creepy' segments. Anytime something spooky happens congratulations you're in a walking cutscene hold down W until you win.

Assuming you have a remotely modern system you should be able to crank the settings pretty high and enjoy lots of corny mid-aught bulletime effects. I've never played 2 or 3 but literally everyone says the series firmly trends downhill so just get the first one and consider your F.E.A.R. education complete.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So that BundleStar Dollar Dash thing, what other 2 games would be best if I'm getting Gem Craft and Kingdom Rush and already own Anodyne and One Finger? I'm thinking A Story About My Uncle and then Lichdom? Dead Effect 2? What else isn't a janky mobile port?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sanctum has a demo, and is a fairly servicable tower defense/fps inside a tower defense going by reviews - I played the demo and discovered it's enough of a fps to mess with my motion sickness, which is a problem you probably won't have.

I looked at that, and I do love me some TD games, but I'm wary since I never got that into Orcs Must Die and this seems like a similar idea, only 1st person instead of 3rd. I'm old and afraid of change I'll take my TD immobile and floating high in the sky thankyouverymuch.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tactics is clearly the best thing to ever bear the FF name. Thinking back, that was some X-COM poo poo right there.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoubleCakes posted:

I tell all my friends: Tactics Ogre > Final Fantasy Tactics, but whenever I bring it up they all treat me like a buster. Like, I know the story of FFT is better than Tactics Ogre but all around TO is more tactical.

FFT really is a legit great story, one of the few video game plots that does the narrative transition from fighting local normal-scale enemies to 'well I guess we have to kill God now' and do it well.

Also I will give FF8 credit that, while it prevented you from renaming certain characters so they could have consistent nicknames in a flashback, you COULD name Rinoa's dog. This dog was then used in some of her special attacks, which would then be named <dogsname> Cannon or <dogsname> Blast.

name the dog Vaginal

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zetsubou-san posted:

:ghost: games wot i quite like - spoopy 2016 edition :ghost:
:spooky: Closure - $1.99 (-80%) - puzzle game based on "if it isn't illuminated, it isn't there"
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten - $4.94 (-67%) - great tower-defense RPG
:spooky: They Bleed Pixels - $1.99 (-80%) - action platformer in a cutethulu style

Pimping the hell out of these 3.

Closure is a great puzzle platformer that revolves around the mechanic that objects are only solid when they are illuminated. Need to get through a wall with a light shining on it? Move the light and poof no more wall. But be careful because also poof no more floor.

They Bleed Pixels is a punishingly hard action platformer with tight controls and nice pixel graphics, marred only slightly by an oversimplified control scheme. I really wish the dash move was its own button so I would quit doing it on accident :( Oh and if you want to get all the collectibles, be prepared to punch yourself in the groin repeatedly. What's that? You want to get all the collectibles in the bonus one-off stages as well? You must really Want to Be the Guy :wink: Fans of Super Meat Boy HIT THIS UP.

And finally Defender's Quest. I've lost any pretense of impartiality with this game, it has become my favorite TD game by a large margin. The gameplay mechanics are all competent if not groundbreaking. Your 'towers' in this case are the other members of your party. You've got your melee DPS dude, ranged archer girl, healers, various status effect units etc. What really sets the game apart for me is the story and characters, which seem to be afterthoughts in most TD games if they exist at all. All the characters can be summed up in a single archetype/cliche (the berserker is lol random monkey cheese, the archer is bitchy and complains a lot but has a heart of gold and is a loyal friend etc) but their interactions with one another are very well done. The game's 'cutscenes' are really just slide shows you thumb through but they never last very long so they don't beat you over the head with it, but they use each brief interaction well and the way the characters give each other poo poo like they were old friends is charming. The game recently got an HD re-release which moves the Journal up from New Game + to the first run which adds a lot more characterization up front compared to the original release. And speaking of New Game +, DQ has one of the best one of those as well. It doesn't just make all the numbers bigger, enemies get new abilities, there are bonus missions you can go on, and you can collect Skulls which can be used to upgrade any unique items you got in New Game to bump their power and add new abilities.

TL;DR for the above wall of fan wankery: If you've ever held any interest in Tower Defense at all GET DQ it is the best. Around. Nothin's gonna ever keep it down.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just finished 100%ing The Dweller, took about 3 hours. It can be kind of hard to tell from screenshots but it's basically a reskinned block slider puzzle game. You're an earth elemental demon and in every room you have to kill or frighten away all the archaeologists who are digging through your poo poo. You can only move through earth so air and wood act as barriers, but you can possess certain boulders and slabs and slide them around to get from one patch of dirt to another. So the entire game is variations on figuring out how and in what order to scoot rocks around that will let you eat and/or crush every other dude in that room.

It's pretty one-trick stuff, but a handful of the 59 levels were pretty drat challenging. The last handful of stages introduce some new mechanics but they both feel a bit tacked on and not as well developed as the basic rock sliding stuff.

A simple, short, repetitive game, but if you like puzzlers for 50c I say yes.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ :argh:
Hah I got the name wrong anyway...

Morter posted:

So what's the hot program of the year to map keyboard keys to controller inputs? Just about everything worked for the Xbox One controller I have but Guilty Gear Xrd refuses to and it's breaking my heart.

Anytime I've had to brute force keyboard keys onto my controller for the odd indie game with no pad support Joy2Key has worked pretty well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So this Indie Legends bundle thing:
    Insurgency
    Lethal League
    SteamWorld Dig
    King Arthur's Gold
    Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
    Skullgirls
    Freedom Planet
    Another World – 20th Anniversary Edition
    Nihilumbra
    Stronghold Crusader HD
    Cook, Serve, Delicious!
    Kingdom Rush
    Anodyne
    Sir, You Are Being Hunted
    Super Win the Game

I'm only really feeling Steamworld Dig and Freedom Planet. Already have Guacameele, Skullgirls, Kingdom Rush and Anodyne. Insurgency is well reviewed but it sounds like it's all online team-based PvP. Worth it? Other suggestions for a 3rd game?

e: Yeah what the hell? The Dark ID is one of my favorite LPers and should have guts of steel from doing the Resident Evil series alone, what on earth could cause him to tap out?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

So how useful is the Dark Souls advice of "don't use shields"?

Also, remind me which was the good "old people play DS" youtube series?

DS1 is pretty much built around tanking with a shield. Sure if you GIT GUD you can make a light DEX build and dodge everything but it's not something you'd do your first time through the game.

FROM saw this and saw that it was bad (but it wasn't) so in DS2 they heavily disincentivized shields by making them have worse stats to encourage shieldless builds. It works kind of ok sometimes. Also yea pro-tip for new players: few monsters resist blunt-type damage so maces destroy the early game.

I'm an awful pub scrub and haven't got DSIII yet :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, it is.

It's hard for me to justify spending hundreds of bucks on a PS4 for one game though.

:(:hf::(

I've pretty much resigned to buying a PS4 for myself just for BB and then praying that Nioh is good when it comes out in February or whenever. That's only...... $150 or so per game, plus the cost of the games themselves......... :suicide:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I played through the game with my cousin on his PS4, because there are zero other exclusives for PS4 that I give a poo poo about and there is no game in the world worth like $350. Bloodborne is real good though.

Look at this loving loser with friends or even a wife or girlfriend to spend money/time on. Look at him and laugh.

Seriously do it, I keep doing the math in my head of the cost to play BB and it's not going to stop me and I'm depressing myself.

Oh and I assume the DLC is awesome because it's FROM of course it is so sure add that to the pile :retrogames:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Cargo cult HOGs

Thanks for reviewing these. My mom is big into Big Fish games and I've been gifting HOGs to her for birthdays/Xmas/Mother's Day for like 5 years now. She plays all of them and claims to enjoy them, but by now I've just about worked through the entire Axis Mundi catalog as well as most other popular releases, and as you pointed out HOG reviews seem to be exceptionally generous so it can be hard to filter out actual trash.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

throw to first drat IT posted:

Defender's Quest is great, pretty much only complaint I have about it is that to get the full story, you need to replay it in New Game+ since that's the only way to get the diary entries.

What happened to DQ2 anyway?

FYI this is no longer true, the HD remake that was released a while ago (for free to anyone who already bought the game) moves all the diary stuff to New Game, but you should still play NG+ for the additional items, levels, plot, monster abilities and dev commentary. My favoritest TD game.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Who'd you piss off to get that username change?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Opinions on Munin? It's on sale for a buck and is well reviewed, but also looks like it could be pretty one-note with its rotation gimmick. Is there enough variety to keep the gameplay from getting to repetitive?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tony Phillips posted:

Finally about to start in on Shadow of Mordor.

I have the GOTY edition which includes all of the DLC as far as I know.
And if I'm reading things right - most everything is just skins etc, except for "Lord of the Hunt" and "The Bright Lord" - correct?

Are the DLC quest lines or whatever they're called this time around integrated into the main game, or something you'd just play separately when you're done? ie - do I have to worry about running into some NPC that sends me off on what turns out the be the DLC missions that I'm not ready for, or will it be obvious when I get to them?

The DLC is accessed through the main menu, not in game. They do however kind of fit in with the chronology of the main campaign. Bright Lord is a prequel, and LotH I believe happens just before the end of the regular game.

BL puts you in control of your ghost buddy before the events of the regular game, but since it was released later it has a bunch of abilities unlocked, so I'd still recommend playing a few hours into the regular game and unlocking some stuff yourself just to become familiar with the various combat and movement mechanics. Maybe around half way through go back and hit BL, then play LotH just before the final mission (it's obvious when that appears).

Also as a general protip, die every once in a while. When an Ork kills you they get a promotion out of it and letting one of them shank you every once in a while makes the ork politics much more interesting than if you murder them all the first time you see them.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ceyton posted:

Defender's Quest is goon-approved, right? I've been thinking of picking it up while it's on sale, but the awful art and graphics keep scaring me off.

DQ is my personal favorite tower defense game. The menus (even in the HD remake) and the 'cutscene' art are pretty janky, but the spritework of the actual gameplay is good. What really stands out is the story/characters which are way way more developed than in a standard TD game. I absolutely recommend it to the max.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

I usually gravitate to ARPGs like TQ or Grim Dawn, or actual RPGs like Tyranny; I guess this is an opportunity to try out some more low budget/indy stuff.

SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition

It's a modern text-based roguelike RPG... thing. It's text-based in that all the 'graphics' are various ASCII characters, but the game is laid out in a first-person perspective and it draws locations and enemies/NPCs for you so it isn't like staring at a '@' and thinking that's you.

All of your interactions are menu-based, you are presented with a list of locations or actions and enter the corresponding number. The plot is fairly standard adventure/save the world stuff, but a lot of the dialogue has a humorous slant that is actually done pretty well, it's not just 'lolrandommonkeycheese here's a fish for a sword' type stuff. You wander around various locations getting into random encounters until you unlock a quest/bossfight, that unlocks the next area, repeat. Back in town you can mine for crafting materials, build a house, inherit/steal a pub and drunkenly dance for your patrons in exchange for gifts, and serve your community by binding extra books at the local library.

Oh hey look at this:

Quest For Glory II posted:

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/nemesis-bundle-2

$1.49
Lovely Planet Arcade
Eldritch
Shadow Blade: Reload
SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition

I think you know what you need to do :smuggo:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Earlier someone was asking about Potato XP compatible games, haven't seen these 2 mentioned yet:

Cthulhu Saves the World + Breath of Death VII for a buck
NES style RPG with Earthbound-esque humor. It has a unique mechanic where every turn you spend in a fight, the enemies get 5% stronger, so you don't have time to gently caress around. BoD is the game the studio made before CStW, it's pretty similar but as far as I saw CStW does everything just a little bit better.

SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition for 79 cents woaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
A text-based roguelike. All of your movements and interactions consist of selecting choices from menus, but all the monsters/weapons/NPCs have ASCII art representations so there is more to look at than your standard MUD. It is also a bit silly with the enemy descriptions and the plot overall, and there are a bunch of different mechanics to mess around with to keep things interesting. There's even a method of transferring items between characters so when that awesome wand drops for your Warrior you at least have a chance of getting it over to your magic dude. Soundtrack's pretty good too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlueberryCanary posted:

Get a source port. If your computer isn't a potato, get gzdoom. If it is, get zdoom. All you need to do is find the .wad file from your steam install and drop it into the same folder as your gzdoom.exe or zdoom.exe and run it. You can then run doom at custom resolutions, frame rates greater than 35fps, and modern control schemes.

This works with all early doom engine games including Doom II, the two Final Doom wads plutonia and TNT: Evilution, Heretic, Hexen and its expansion, and Strife.

If you want to explore mods, pop into the 90's FPS megathread and ask for recommendations and instructions if you need it. There are frankly more good mods for than you will ever be able to finish.

You've probably heard of Brutal Doom by now, but get Project Brutality instead. Adds new weapons, items, enemies and mechanics and of course ups the gore to 80s slasher B-movie levels. It isn't the One True Authentic Doom ExperienceTM, but it's a lot of fun to mess around in.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inco posted:

I picked up KAMI and it's a p chill puzzle game, but the hint system either only offers one hint per puzzle (but uses up some of your in game "hint coins" every time you want to see it), or it's broken and never shows more than the first hint for each puzzle. It's pretty good either way, though.

Completely different mechanic, but a similar feeling chill puzzle game is LYNE, where you have to connect colored shapes along a grid without crossing lines. Good for relaxing for 5 or 10 minutes at a time and has free DLC in the form of extra puzzle packs of various difficulties. Also 90 cents, get on this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

She Bangs the Drums posted:

they are literally 8 year old games though.

Yeah I was about to be all Yo what the gently caress I enjoyed these games :flipoff: . Then I remembered... that was in like 2009. And that I mostly played them because they were small enough to have on a USB stick I could plug into my work laptop and play them on lunch breaks. I didn't find the humor terrible (it is lolrandom monkeycheese tho) but the text really does suck, and in an Adventure game that's a pretty big deal. Think there's an option to make the font size bigger though. I remember thinking a couple of the puzzled were legit clever and/or funny.

I'd say if you're looking for cheapy little adventure games to casually mess around with these are worth a buck.

• Locked thread