Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
God drat it. Kragger keeps adding work to my backlog :argh: Thanks for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

zen death robot posted:

You should play Revengeance ASAP, it's pretty awesome.

poptart_fairy posted:

Its a four hour game. Man up and play it through you wimp, it's so loving worth it.

So I've heard.

Alright, I'm doing this before any other game since you're recommending it so much (have to hit the gym first). Thanks again Krag.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Orv posted:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for but I'll be damned if I miss even the flimsiest of reasons to link it.

And now you owe me a new keyboard.

Quick question on Company of Heroes:
I have Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes (New Steam edition), Opposing Force and Tales of Valor in my library. I don't need the original Company of Heroes to play it, or Opposing Force, or Tales of Valor (believe the last one is a stand alone anyway) anymore, right? Something about the game/servers not working anymore? So I can just dump it in my Darkest Pits of Gaming Hell category for it never to be seen again and stick to the New Steam Edition?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

PowerBeard posted:

I believe you only need to install Company of Heroes (New Steam edition) as it will detect that you have the expansions and add that content.

Orv posted:

This is correct.

Delusibeta posted:

Pretty much. New Steam Edition is based on Steamworks, while the others are based on a matchmaking system that was shut down fairly recently. Cast the other Company of Heroes games into your Pit of Hades and never touch them again.

Thanks.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Hogo Fogo posted:

New beta update...

:siren:
Library
Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time

Breadallelogram posted:

You can select multiple games now with shift-click or ctrl-click.

Oh, happy day.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
What was that/those mods that made Dead Island bearable again? Just started it up and it seems terribly slow and sluggish.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Dominic White posted:

The Director's Cut mod. There's versions for both the base game and Riptide.

I'd recommend turning off damage floaters and health bars (physical damage is much more visible with the DC mod), turning ON level scaling (so a zombie will always be a zombie, rather than a zombie that looks regular but has 10x the HP of every other zombie), and using a gamepad with Analogue Melee mode turned on.

It turns it into more of a proper zombie brawler game, rather than Borderlands With Zombies. Enemies feel more like sacks of meat than abstract piles of hit points. A clean hit with a heavy weapon will almost always break or sever something, and the more visibly beat up a zombie is, the weaker its balance is, so wounded enemies can be punted into swimming pools easily.

Thanks, will DL both and follow the rest of your advice.

Btw, I have both "Dead Island" and "Dead Island: Riptide" in my library. Are they different versions of the same game, with Riptide being the better/newest choice (Like CoH Steam version over the old one), or is Riptide just a (stand alone?) expansion?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
I see, sounds good.

Also, I'm probably dumb, blind or both, 'cause I can only find the Riptide version of the Directors Cut mod, not the one for the original DI?

vThanks, went for the top mediafire one.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 1, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
I installed the Director's Cut for Dead Island and followed the rest of Dominic Whites advice, but I still can't get into the game. I'm sure I'm playing it wrong or something? It's just a major drag to hit anything with the paddle I got for my first weapon; the combat is janky and clumsy as hell. Everything just feels like a chore. Is it supposed to be like this or am I doing something wrong? If anyone had fun with this game, please tell me what was fun and how long I have to wait for it, because the uninstall button is very tempting atm.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Dead Island is a bad game, its not you.

I see, just didn't think it was this bad. Thanks.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

If you haven't played it I'd recommend Dead Rising 2/ Dead Rising 2: Off the Record if you want some silly zombie killing. It has some bullshit like bosses with wonky hitboxes but its still pretty accessible and overall a fun game. DR2 Off the Record even has a sandbox mode if the whole time limit aspect of the series puts you off. (The time mechanic isn't really bad though, I usually hate it in games, but DR2 gives you enough time.)

Thanks, noted. I'll try some more DI and see if it gets any better.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

The Kins posted:

Just announced for Steam: A HD-ish update of the 2002 Gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1! Apparently this is considered the definitive version, using pre-rendered backgrounds to kick up the polycount on the characters above the norm for the time.

New features (all optional) include improved artwork, non-tank controls, and a zoomed in scrolling camera to make the 4:3 graphics work in 16:9. It's scheduled for "early next year". I guess RE4 HD did pretty well, huh.

gently caress yes! This made my day.

Now, if they could only do a remake of Resident Evil 2.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 5, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm almost dry of "AAA" games.. I've got these left:

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Alice: Madness Returns
Hitman: Absolution
Prince of Persia 08
Red Faction: Armageddon
The Bureau: XCOM

I'm not sure which to play next. I have Borderlands 2 but I'm waiting for the people in my circles to have free time, and I have ACIV: Black Flag but holey moley it's a billion gigabytes.

I'd go with Lance Streetmans (and others') recommendation, definitely play Dead Space if you haven't, I enjoyed it immensely.

EDIT: I'm late, you've already started on it. Great!

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 11, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
A friend of mine is pestering me to play Knights of the Old Republic 1 (okay, I'm curious myself), any essential mods I should add? I know I want a good resolution mod, if that's available, since the vanilla does not support 1920x1080.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Aside from any tweaks / fixes you need to get it working at the res you want, no, there's nothing essential for it.

Thanks. Found this, not sure if that's the best one/least hassle?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130329763

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Downs Duck posted:

Thanks. Found this, not sure if that's the best one/least hassle?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130329763

Turned out it wasn't. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it gives me all white environment/background, forcing me to restart KOTOR and that little program, and then readjust the resolution every time. I might just go with the vanilla resolution.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Ice-Pick's having some fun with teasing the Pathologic remake. You get emails from a sick woman if you sign up for it, and there's a secret on the page (skull on the left) but nothing to enter for the prompt yet too.

That's quite the news, thanks for the heads-up.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

That is...disturbing. Why am I still laughing?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Kragger99 posted:

Is there a way to get rid of all my $0.03 backgrounds/emotes? I've added trashbot, but it's always offline now. Is there another one?

To my bewilderment, I actually sold a 2013 summer sale background some weeks ago. I thought it would stay on the market forever.

Spacedad posted:

clubhouse steam group

That's a great idea.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

You can now see your unredeemed humble keys at https://www.humblebundle.com/home (at the bottom) and Titanfall is free to play for 48 hours over at Origin.

Thanks for this.

Also, who wants Civilization 3: Complete? Leave your Steam ID.Gone.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 23, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

I do? I'm avrelivs (no caps).

EDIT: Is there anything YOU want? If it's not too expensive, I'll try to get it to you ASAP (never given anything to anyone via Steam before).

It's like 7 others with that name, just hit me up and its yours:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/

I'm good, but thank you :)

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Kragger99 posted:

Been working on my backlog the past few weeks, and got to play Brothers - a Tale of Two Sons last night (Thanks Dementropy!). This is the game where you control 2 brothers (most times simultaneously) each with one of the thumbsticks on the controller. It's a puzzle/platrformer.
While I often get confused which one I'm controlling (I think the secret to to keep the left thumbstick brother on the left side of the screen, and right on the right) the game is all sorts of charming, and the puzzles are fun, but not challenging - don't expect a difficult game here. I also think it's quite short (3-5 hours), and an easy one to 100%. If you have it in your backlog, I'd urge you to give it a try, and see if it sticks. There's also 2 Playfire cheeves that you can get in about an hour.

Played it to the end just now and don't regret it. Story is so simple, but so great.

One more item removed from the backlog.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Alpha Protocol went from wonderful to super lovely and boring once I started my mission in Saudi-Arabia. It gets better, right?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Dr Suntory posted:

Saudi Arabia is basically an extended tutorial. If you liked the bits before, you will love the stuff after.

PantsBandit posted:

Saudi Arabia is really dumb and does a good job turning people off the game. Power through it, it gets much better.

Drifter posted:

It WENT from? That's the beginning of the game. Like all those gay people in those tv ads say, it gets better.

Thanks guys. And yeah, I enjoyed the promising immediate start so much that I felt it went from great to lovely in a heartbeat. No worries, I'll power through it.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

It really does. I did Rome, Moscow, and Taipei in that order. Which kinda worked because Rome had the most missions and Taipei had the fewest, so the story felt like it had a natural progression/climax.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Decisions, decisions. Thanks again, guys. Game sounds better and better if it's actually that fun to replay. Looking forward to that sprawling story tree formed by the choices made.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Shindragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XzE5bKksPk

I figure you would like this video.

edit: Has spoilers, but who the hell plays it for the story.

Dat AI.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Captain Swing posted:

Threep gave me something. How did he know that I love balls?

Captain Swing posted:

My doors are always open for Fart of Presto.

Fart of Presto posted:

Don't ever stop doing these!

In other news, I just met Stephen Heck in AP. Charming fellow.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
I'm currently getting my rear end handed to me Alpha Protocol, by Omen Deng and his annoying guards, to be precise.

I've gone the spy route and have specialized in pistol, stealth and CQC, but:
-my pistol ain't doing any decent damage on him
-the guy detects me through walls while I'm standing still
-he blocks almost all of my punches and kicks
-guards popping up once in a while are annoying as hell, but manageable

I did get to use my "shadow ops" skill to sneak upon him and deliver a shotgun blast in his head, which only took a little bit of energy from him as well.

Is he superman in disguise or something? This boss fight is close to rivaling some of my worse Dark Souls moments, didn't expect that from this game at all. Any tactics on how to take him down would be welcome (Stephen, you crazy psychopath, were are you when I need you the most).

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Orv posted:

Are you Chain Shotting him a bunch? If you aren't, you should be.

Accordion Man posted:

Just Chainshot him and watch him get destroyed in a few seconds.

Damegane posted:

Remember, you can shoot halfway through a combo, and you can melee immediately after shooting. Spray while charging him, start punching when you reach, and if he starts blocking, shoot him once or twice to get him to stop blocking then start punching again. Rinse and repeat.

Chain Shotting it is, thanks guys.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 30, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Anyone else having problems uploading screenshots to Steam atm? I'm getting a message about Steam Cloud may be temporary unavailable". Restarting Steam didn't help.

AP is to funny not to share, drat it.
EDIT: Aaaand it's working again.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 30, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Has anyone seen Deep Black: Reloaded before? Looks pretty decent and is included in that last dailyindiegame bundle:

http://www.dailyindiegame.com/page_game_28.html

Is it any good?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Dear Steam Thread,

Please help me make Alpha Protocol run. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and it crashes once I choose "Play" from the splash menu. I already tried the weird "harvest dlls from System32" trick.

That sucks, I finished it on a Windows 7 64-bit yesterday, but I believe it's still a little janky for some. How's the rest of your setup?

My review: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/34010

quote:

Imagine, if you will, a combination of early Splinter Cell and Deus Ex: HRs little brother, with a drop of occasional Saints Row humor choices in your dialogue options - all presented in a janky but "holy-poo poo-this-is-fun" package.

That's Alpha Protocol, a game where your actions and attitude actually impacts the story and peoples' reactions to you, for good or worse. Yes, this is the game that actually DELIVERS on the promises of so many other RPG-likes.

My first playthrough ended with me maxing out my stealth skill, enabling me to knife party my way through enemies as a ghostly apparition. My dialogue choices consisted mostly of flirting when inappropriate, threatening with executions (sometimes before enforcing them), and punching people who I believed deserved it.

I have 400+ games in my backlog, and all I can think about at the moment, is how I'm gonna play THIS game again next.

Also, when in doubt (as I had to learn the hard way, and with a little help), remember that the answer to:
-world hunger
-environmental pollution
-the financial crisis
-your John Smith small penis that needs 3 inches RIGHT NOW
-space exploration
-and a happy life in general

...is Chain Shooting.

So write that down for when you're gonna play Alpha Pro...
Oh, who am I kidding, you're gonna play it right now, of course!

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Just booted up Resident Evil 5 and I'm actually having a good time with it. I thought this game was supposed to be very lovely, so I'm probably doing something wrong?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Shock Trooper posted:

I just tried to start playing this recently too and ran into the same problem. On an Nvidia card, you need to uninstall or disable PhysX entirely to fix the crashes.

After that, it seemed like all was well but a new problem popped up the second time I tried to play the game. It completely stopped displaying what the buttons corresponded to in each dialogue choice ("Suave", "Professional", etc). Further googling revealed it was something to do with the anti-aliasing, but I had to fiddle with a bunch of settings to fix it. I think I had to go into Nvidia Control Panel and change one of the anti-aliasing settings to Application-controlled or something like that. Good luck.

Bummed out to hear you guys having problems, no one should be kept from playing AP.

I played it with a Nvidia GTX275 and just installed the latest drivers (340.52) for it. I do have PhysX installed and set to "Auto Select" (recommended) in my Nvidia Control Panel, whatever that means.

The game "froze" sometimes when I was hacking a computer or something, but it was only for a few seconds.

EDIT: On closer inspection it seems I have both a Nvidia PhysX (Legacy) along with Nvidia PhysX System Software. I recall having some problem with a game before (not sure which one) and I might have had to download some Legacy PhysX to make that other game work.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 31, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Orv posted:

5 is a fun game, especially coop, but you will not get the same response from RE purists. (Though I don't think anyone here is that kind of crazy.)

Missed your post the first time. Yeah, it's delightfully better than what I expected from reading all the hate it got.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a better game than RE4 or RE6, it just lost the novelty value of 4 and has really offensively dumb partner AI (but still not dumb enough that it makes it impossible to beat the game).

I found the AI frustrating at times, but giving Sheva a rifle and the MP5 have made her not suck too much. If I'm just a little meticulous about my approach, she's popping enemies left and right.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's very action focused compared to 4 which turned a lot of people off.

There's also that hilariously racist type of enemy that I will not spoil.

I don't mind the spoiler, what is it?

Terminally Bored posted:

Counter argument - 5 has way worse level design, worse atmosphere, it reuses all the gameplay ideas from 4 and adds none, has idiot AI that almost forces you to play it in co-op and the item management is so bad you'll be pausing every 5 minutes to make some goddamn room for basic stuff. Oh, and it's racist and has atrocious writing (and not in the cheesy-fun way as 4). No lines like "your right hand comes off?".

I believe Resident 4 to be better too, although I am enjoying myself with 5. Also, I really wish they'd gone for a richer color palette than just grey.

The White Dragon posted:

Yup, I just had to uninstall PhysX and Steam Setup automatically gave me a version that was compatible with AP. Thanks, dude!

That would've been the case, too, because I recently upgraded my computer. My old box used a nice (albeit kind of a lemon) AMD card, but I put an Nvidia card in my new one.

That's great! Tell us have you fare?

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 31, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Drifter posted:

It's black people. It's always black people.

He said it was some enemy in particular?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Sober posted:

Only because Spaniards participated in slavery so it must be okay to kill them by the truckload, right guys?

Speaking of Spaniards, didn't I murder those by the truckloads in RE 4?

Anyway, all the Dark Souls chatter makes me want to play it again.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

That's exactly it. Some games are very offensive based, dark souls is about being defensive as hell, up until you know all the telegraphs and become a ninja-flipping 2handing whirlwind of death :getin:. For me, 100% of the stress went away with the realization that souls don't matter at all. Spend them when you have them, otherwise just ignore them. You'll get more. The people who seem to get most stressed out are the ones who had 80,000 souls banked or something, lost them, and yet are already at an absurdly high level because they need to many souls to level up again.

You are so right on this. It took me some time before I understood the only real value in Dark Souls is player level. Nothing else really matters. And yes, the levels, the gameplay, etc. What a fantastic game.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, I've already played AP a bunch of times, just thanks to the recent discussion in this thread I got the itch to install it and play it again. I've never taken over Halbech or allied with Shaheed, so I'll probably see how that works out for me this time.

Oh, that's cool then. And oooooookay, I read that spoiler, which makes the game go from awesome to legendary.

• Locked thread