Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

vodkat posted:

I cant seem to get hardware virtualization working on my computer. I have an intel i7-4770K which according to the specs page supports VT-x. When I run egrep -c '(svm|vmx)' /proc/cpuinfo i get 0 back. I have looked in the BIOS but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn this on. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?

I have a consumer HP that is similar... it’s not enough for the processor to support it, motherboard has to as well. HP decided that consumers would never care about that so they keep it disabled... it’s maddening

what brand is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

vodkat posted:

This is the one. Turns out it was called something different and hidden in a weird security menu. Thanks and gently caress you HP

awesome, glad you got it sorted. my turd of a machine has the option for VT, but if you enable it and reboot, it’s disabled again. it’s literally a 10 year old Walmart special I got free and use for displaying stuff on my living room TV, so not a huge loss... but maddening still

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

flakeloaf posted:

if you like the xbox controller you'll love the Xbox elite controller
ftfy

having buttons mapped to paddles on the back is a game changer…

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

echinopsis posted:

defo coz it’s such a good controller and that’s the cherry on top

try the xbone “elite” controller… once I got over the l337-ness of it (and the price), it’s by far the best controller I’ve ever used. The 4 paddle buttons on the back are a total game changer

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

understood, op

this is the only thing I’ll buy from Samsung as far as I know. only stuff that can’t connect to the internet on its own and spy on me.

kinda funny that I trust a hard drive not to spy on me but here we are

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

does it have usb3? maybe try one of the 2.0 ports. I used to have to do that, but I never got the symptoms your having. sounds like a graphics card might be on its way out or something. maybe blow some canned air through it to get dust out if that makes sense

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

not sure if this is true everywhere, but just fyi:
when I stopped renting xfinitys POS, they gave me a download limit. it’s pretty high, but I’ve smacked into it downloading Linux isos before

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

Every usb device that needs drivers should have a little usb hub chip in them with the device hanging off one port and a 1 gig usb storage device containing its drivers hanging off another. Put a little switch on the back to turn off port 2 if it bugs you in explorer or w/e.

I have a Razr keyboard that has this and it’s a little annoying since for some reason it will auto play plus nowadays the software is completely out of date. I do get the sentiment though and agree in theory.

funny enough I just opened a new motherboard I got with a microcenter bundle and it has a tiny usb flash drive. I haven’t used it yet because I’m waiting on the cooler to get here, but I was surprised it was in there.
it looks crazy cheap, lol
“MSI mag z790 tomahawk WiFi” if anyone’s curious. I may just disable the WiFi on it since this is a desktop and will be wired most of its life

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

for sharing the k and m without the v in windows I use mouse without borders

also:

namlosh posted:

funny enough I just opened a new motherboard I got with a microcenter bundle and it has a tiny usb flash drive. I haven’t used it yet because I’m waiting on the cooler to get here, but I was surprised it was in there.
it looks crazy cheap, lol
“MSI mag z790 tomahawk WiFi” if anyone’s curious.

can’t believe I need to quote myself so I can walk back this part. opened the package containing the usb flash drive and it’s actually really nice. metal case and everything. screw you for making me a liar MSI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

fart simpson posted:

i have one but it couldnt keep up with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzb4d8ykSJM

wait what? maybe I’m missing something, but we get 100% humidity all the time in the good ole US of A and this kind of poo poo doesn’t happen. Even where I live