Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

that's good enough for me, thanks. I had an unfounded reckon in my head on how they worked from what I could see on spec sheets and just wanted to make sure so I don't melt anything stupidly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

whats the easiest way to turn my dumb, usb only printer into a network printer?

there’s no router near it so I need some sort of wireless ap whose only function is to serve as a network print server and that also hopefully isn’t running a hidden chinese webserver

the big trick here is going to be if the printer supports PCL or postscript. If it does, then pretty much any of those little wireless printer adapter things should Just Work. If not, then all the brains for how it actually forms the print job is done in the driver which means most likely your only options will be to use one of those usb over IP adapters to backhaul the connection to a real computer that can run the driver package or hang some kind of linux minicomputer off the back of it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

cool, you should still buy a synology for this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anything wide format or remotely above bare-bones minimum spec would support pcl/ps. you can usually tell on the driver download page because they will mention one or both formats. all those lovely inkjets that you got for free with your $700 college dell shitbox? they're the wintel modems of the printing world

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

like 99% of printers, even cheap ones, support either pcl or ps, to varying degrees of correctness

only the very cheapest inkjets from the very worst moments in history relied on gdi printing

you'd think that but HP and a few other manufactures made a point for a lot of years to only support pcl/ps if the the unit was either specifically a native network variant or had an expansion slot for some kind of network adapter expansion installed. if you didn't have network functionality then they would either disable or rip the brains out of the thing and the only thing that could print to it was their driver

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

how does exchange handle messages when there is a single envelope recipient but multiple header recipients on the same mail domain tenant, i.e env.from - user1@example, header.from - user1@example, user2@example, user3@example

My assumption would be since the recipient list is all in the same domain that once it made it through envelope processing and on to the headers it would spawn out multiple copies for each valid header recipient but I'm not an email admin the internals of exchange are voodoo magic to me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i bought a 500 gb samsung t5 external ssd. it works perfectly fine in macos but then when i boot into windows it turns into a piece of poo poo

I can do everything fine in macos without a problem, but in windows, even trying to make a new folder has a noticeable pause before it does it. copying a 10 GB file from the internal ssd to the samsung it starts at around 400 MB per sec but drops to like 100 right away, and then starts to fluctuate between that and all the way down to seriously like less then a meg a second. the file transfer window thing also has noticeable pauses every few seconds when its copying.

the ssd is in exfat format, i'm using the original usb cable that came with the samsung thing and i've tried multiple usb 3.0 ports. i have another external ssd i made using an old internal ssd and a cheap lovely sata to usb 3.0 adapter from aliexpress and that gives me around 350 MB per second while copying, continuously without any problems or pauses at all.

ive tried formatting it in windows, and checking for errors, i updated the drives firmware in the samsung software, i updated windows 10, i tried with and without write caching, i tried different cables, nothing helped.

idk if the drive is hosed up or something but it works perfectly fine in macos and doesn't give me any trouble. in macos i can copy stuff to it at full speeds without any pauses or anything so it seems like windows is being more of a piece of poo poo than normal. i bought this fucker to play games from it but the loving game fmvs skip and freeze around when running from this thing.

any ideas

edit -

this looks lower than other results im seeing online, idk

that looks about right for a usb ssd drive

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

yeah, smells like a bad memory controller on the cpu. very uncommon but not unheard of. try putting the single dimm in a slot on the other channel to see if it makes a difference. but you're getting through a memtest clean without it throwing errors?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Technically anything up to 1.4v is within spec. It will run hotter, but if that's what it takes then who cares. 1.4v usually can get those chips stable at 4.2-4.5ghz

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

it's going to depend on your motherboard. some will default to the standard 2666 memory profile, others will enable XMP by default

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Quad9 is fast and provides filtering for malware domains if you want to throw in an extra layer of protection.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Tape media has similar problems to hard drives, the medium is very stable*

*if you are controlling for temp/humidity.

ask me about the time I was asked to restore critical infrastructure servers from tapes stored in an "archive" room with no hvac that would hit 95F+/100%RH all summer long. that poo poo will degrade fast

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't think it was "super fast" ones so much as the really high capacity ones where they're stacking like seven or eight platters in a single unit.

i don't think anyone's even making 15K rpm drives any more, there's really no need for them now that SSDs are a thing. are new 10K drives even still a thing? i don't know.

yeah, 10k sas is still a thing. tlc and now qlc read-optimized ssds can now beat their price point, but the write speed is garbo and there are workloads with large, consistent write IO that are more cost effective to run on 10k still compared to the mixed use mlc ssds that are much more expensive

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

do some benches and make sure everything's running right. i get 5000 MB/s on my pcie 4.0 drive, if you have a 3.0 it should do about 3000-3500 MB/s. if it's way lower your machine is in hosed up legacy mode and it wont run right till you reinstall the right way

just FYI pretty much any nvme can hit those read speeds consistently but the cheaper qlc flash drives are a hybrid design with a finite fast mlc write cache, once that is exhausted write speeds will fall to like 200MB/s

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've had a ds416 sitting in the mechanical room humming away for over two years now and I've never had to think about it once, there's the mount on the network every time I need it and maybe once a month I get an email that its rebooting for an update. this is the most glowing review of this type of appliance I can possibly give

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

gotcha

then I guess point to synology because ntfs has no bitrot protection at all afaik

just configure a scheduled task to go through and run a hash of every file at least once a week ezpz

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

is there a secret way I can partition/format this one hard drive (rust platter) I've got to squeeze a little extra performance out of it?

you can use intel RST to do read/write caching with a SSD on the platter drive. that's about it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hard page fault is the bad one where it has to go to a page file, a normal page fault is just something that happens and is more an indicator that memory is actively being used in the process

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

echinopsis posted:

ok.. so.. is there a good measure that a program wants to use more memory but is running out?

application performance is the overall indicator, so if you have some way of tracking that (like sql perf counters for avg query time etc) its best to get a baseline of what your expected performance is and if something is bogging down. hard page faults are the one that will really grind everything to a halt, so if you're seeing those you need more memory (either to the OS as a whole or possibly to a specific process if its capping its physical ram usage or something like that), but everything is more complicated with the massive layers of caching that have been introduced both by the OS and often in the application framework (.net, java, whatever) which will attempt to cache as much of the filesystem that is likely to be touched as possible. sometimes this amounts to jack-poo poo in increased performance, other times it makes a massive difference and even basic memory pressure causing those caches to evaporate will slow things down. Its 100% dependent on the specific application you are working with, there are few hard and fast rules here because the program could be doing almost anything under the hood

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I got a used ds4 off ebay cheap and it was a pretty good set up from the xbone360 one I was using

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Perhaps you should not run windows on a computer designed for an linux

macklemore <3 Linux

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

getting pretty tired of sitting down at the computer, popping on my headphones only to have my earlobes discharge a huge static shock

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa edge updated and now ctrl-h pops up a little history drop down instead of going to edge://history and i loving hate it.

it should be illegal to push an update that changes keyboard shortcuts. holy gently caress.

how do i get back to the old behavior?

I'm sorry but we don't help people trying to inflict self-harm here

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

cheapest solution is probably to stick some battery operated zigbee sensors and hook those on to a receiver that you can pull the data through to a computer to do something with

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I know its supported as of win10/server 2012r2. Its up to your RDP client to implement but even the MS rdp client on mac can do it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

President Beep posted:

gotcha. wonder if it’s something that has to be adjusted on the machine being remoted into. didn’t see any relevant settings on my local computer.

should be in the display tab in the advanced settings of the client

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

there's a different powercfg switch that will run a sample interval for a minute or two and tell you if there are any devices or processes that are preventing transitioning to sleep. I can't be assed to look up the exact command because I'm on a mac and no longer have to give a poo poo about that stuff.

has anyone done a 3rd party swap for the joycon analog sticks? I managed to sneak my bad ones in on the small window where they admitted the problem and offered free fixes but I'm guessing they're done with that now

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Should be roughly the drive capacity divided by the sequential write speed from a hdd benchmark, x3 for the 3 passes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lampey posted:

Comcast is offering 2gb symmetrical connections to like 75m people if you are willing to pay for it. Google fiber is doing it too now. Others will follow suit, prices will come down. It won't be common anytime soon, but it is an option for a lot of people and you won't get the full speed on just gigabit. Its really easy to get a nas that will do more than a gig of throughput.

Its also not really any more expensive, most of the motherboards with flashback and a good number of usb ports and decent vrms have 2.5gb or 5gb nics. Its mostly the cheapest ones with only 1gb nics.

isn't 2.5gbit the max aggregate downstream bandwidth for a gpon fiber branch? you'd be real lucky to ever see those actual speeds from your ISP outside of 2-6am unless you're the only customer on that branch (lol not happening)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

yeah I usually have a few stock kernels pop out after a bbq with corn on the cob

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

i kinda want to buy a new monitor because my 1440p one is too much resolution for my old graphics card to use without screen-tearing.

since 1080p is a non-cutting edge size i am thinking about spending more and getting a really nice 1080 monitor but i have no idea how to monitor shop. what brands/models can i trust?

the last time i saw a monitor advertisement was in a magazine in like 1999

just get a 4k and run games at 1080

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

that is more that enough gpu for rendering a desktop and some h.264 decode. you've got something fucky and bad going on, that thing should only be choking on 3d games

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

is there some clever way I can pull the audio channels off a displayport link and route it to spdif? I was hoping my monitor would have an audio-out port but its only 3.5mm stereo. I know I've seen hdmi dongles do it but never displayport

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my desktop, amd whatever card with audio out on the display connection. old motherboard had optical out so it was easy, this new one only has analog outputs. I dunno, maybe there is a spdif header tucked away on the motherboard I didn't notice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

there's a 3.5mm optical spdif-out standard so you get a combined spdif/stereo 3.5mm output jack, does it have one of those? i think they're less common these days though

yeah, I was hoping for that but no dice, msi cheaped out and there's a bunch of digital in/out options on this realtek chip that are inaccessible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

mediaphage posted:

whats your mobo model

msi b450-a pro max

Broken Machine posted:

as an alternative, i have a device i use for getting the audio from an hdmi signal; most of that sort of thing runs on hdmi as it's so universal. you'd just need a displayport -> hdmi converter and something like that, they're like $20 or so on amazon it works fine

ah yeah, the video card has hdmi out. I should be able to pull it off that, thanks!