Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

running this query should tell me the physical memory that an SQL server has available right?
code:
select * from sys.dm_os_sys_memory
total_physical_memory_kb	available_physical_memory_kb	total_page_file_kb	available_page_file_kb	system_cache_kb	kernel_paged_pool_kb	kernel_nonpaged_pool_kb	system_high_memory_signal_state	system_low_memory_signal_state	system_memory_state_desc
4182924	867476	8612588	5560336	1417072	135928	62548	1	0	Available physical memory is high
I'm running it on a hosted server and it gives 4 gigs which seems shamefully low.

If I run

code:
SELECT object_name, counter_name, cntr_value AS 'Total Server Memory (KB)'
FROM sys.dm_os_performance_counters 
WHERE counter_name = 'Total Server Memory (KB)'
I get 1638272 KB which for a sql server with probably 50 people connected to it, and 20 gigs of actively used databases seems so low that it shouldn't even work.

check ur cache hit rate and disk queue. if they're both good who gives a gently caress let er ride.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

a comcast tech is here atm and hes refusing to do basically anything because i own the modem and don't rent my equipment from comcast

how is this not extortion

"yeah its a shame your 50mbit connection is only 1.5mbit. too bad you don't pay us $7 per month for your modem. real shame, that"

buying your own modem has always been a suckers game.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if he plugs in his fluke and poo poo works either its your modem and hes right to tell you off or its a congestion issue that wont pop up until prime time and then you're hosed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

finally after 5 hours of arguing with the tech, comcast on the phone, threatening to cancel, etc.

i wasn't about to pay them more money just to find out that a leased modem would have the same loving problem. it was a line issue, the modem was completely fine (shocking)

also shaggar: leasing a modem is for absolute idiots. the sb6141 is $70 at costco; renting is $7/mo. if you have the service for a year you're already paying more than the modem costs for absolutely no reason

it doesn't cost me any extra and not having to deal with it failing is worth whatever imagined savings I would get from "sticking it to the man"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mac laptops come w/ Linux preinstalled

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its probably cheaper to find a motion sensor power controller for the existing monitors.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no one will care is my guess. also if the input is already tuned the tv boot time is probably not much. really what you need is a way to detect the people who care about the kiosks cause they probably don't come round much.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it might be a ssl/tls version mismatch. its very possible their it department disabled newer versions of tls (because hospital it is moronic) and they only have ssl v3 to get to your server which you hopefully have disabled ssl v3 on.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Leck posted:

i don't want to dig up the post, but Shaggar gave some really helpful advice a while back about using Macrium Reflect to move a windows installation to a bigger hard drive seamlessly. it couldn't have worked better, and i really appreciate the recommendation!

I think I got that from the ssd thread, but it does work really well and is very easy to use.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

what is this called?
a csv comes in and has to be saved to another csV with a subset of the columns and in a different order
there must be a way in say excel to automate this
not macros
not manually
not vba

just like a definition file that says "put A into F, B into G, write this text into J,"

its called ETL. office automation is bad so don't use that. If this is to load into sql server just use ssis, otherwise use java or c# to do the transform.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no one wants to install an entire Linux for some bad string parsing tool.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

well i think they are basing it off itunes on windows which is solid turd

of course apple users see no issue with itunes cuz the poo poo works great on its native platform

lol this myth is the best. itunes on osx is just as bad as itunes on windows. osx users just cant tell the difference because everything on osx runs like poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PS. Love the cabin posted:

why is youtube so gay?

the html5 player only has sw video decode
the flash player drops frames for some reason

same deal different poo poo with ff or chrome

i know a pentium and 9500gt is literal garbage but come the gently caress on its just videos

youtubes html5 player is trash, but the reason its doing software encoding is because you're using bad browsers. when youtube detects a bad browser it sends webm which cant be hardware decoded. please upgrade to IE11 so it will use h264 which will be hardware decoded.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
works on my machine. like its hardware decoded, so do you have a hosed up video card or something?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

oracle/rman thinger. we're doing weekly full's with nightly diffs (or incremental cumulative or whateever dumb thing rman calls them). for all of our DB's except one, the diff size grows day to day consistently like we expect. however, one of the test db's ends up having diffs that are occasionally smaller than the previous day's. this db is used for user training on our application, so I assume there are either table or entire db rollbacks occurring after training sessions are complete. I think it makes sense that this behavior could occur in that situation but one of my coworkers stumbled on it and is spooked and now doesn't trust any of our db diffs

restore the backups somewhere. its good for u to do as a test and it will tell you if you backed poo poo up or not

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho if ur using chrome at the same time as ie, chrome will eat all the cpu while idling so IE cant have any.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
huh, I wonder if youtube stopped encoding mp4s in >720p. sure sounds like google.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PS. Love the cabin posted:

gputemp shows the video engine doing work
its just dropping frames for some reason

ill have to try opening youtube urls in vlc and see if it does it
mp4s will play in 1080p if you use the flash player though

I wonder if flash is actually using mp4. its probably using webm or w/e other garbage codec google doesn't have to pay for.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
something is wrong w/ ur computer. do u have amd?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I am so glad I didn't upgrade to ios 8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

i want to set up a repo for my lab so that everyone doesn't keep rewriting the same lovely implementation of common algorithms and we can just have a set of central "best" solutions that everyone reuses

im thinking git on a headless server is probably the best way but this is a windows lab and all my cjing experience is linux. any pos approved solutions? set up a linux git server and somehow (?) get it to work nicely with windows poo poo? is there a good set of windows tools for this stuff?

bear in mind that i basically need to set it up and have people immediately be able to use it, no way can i convince everyone to install and learn a bunch of new software. getting senior academics to use version control will be difficult enough

use svn, don't use git. collabnet subversion edge provides a free server you can install on ur Linux and connect to your AD. It does both the repo hosting and repo management thru a web ui. users can use tortoise svn or w/e native IDE svn plugin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or I guess theres a windows version of the server which I guess makes sense cause its just a war running in jetty. use the windows version maybe.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you use git then git ready for users blame you after their hdd dies and all their poo poo is gone cause of local "commits"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

kalstrams posted:

domain management chat. im currently using cloudns for my single *.eu domain, and for proper functionality i pay for their premium service, $22/yr. anything to optimize here (as in, any better service recommendations?)
i use it for e-mail, and one subdomain for voip server

amazon route53

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my computer becomes a slow piece of poo poo when transferring a lot of data to one disk or between disks

it lags, won't respond to input, etc, until the transfer is done

using an i5, windows 7, Evo 240 ssd, wd blue spinny drive

doesn't matter which disk is reading/writing for the slowdown to happen

all the special ssd poo poo is working, the drive isn't old. drivers, etc are updated

disk io queue or whatever is hosed during this time

please send help, tia

whichever disk has the high disk queue might be fubar. also if that disk is also where you have the swap file, it will make the entire system drag.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
move the swap file to the ssd. jeeze that's like 50% of the reason to have a ssd

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
upgrade to windows and IIS. it just works.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

kalstrams posted:

i have also tried this one

and the issue persisted too, so im not sure if my ciphers are bad

cn is example.com, hostname is test.example.com - is that fine or should i remake cert for test.example.com?

if the cn was *.example.com then test.example.com would work but if its just example.com then no. Either way the server shouldn't give a poo poo about the cn, only the client will complain.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk nginx but try removing everything but the bare minimum ssl config and see if it works. also make sure w/e user nginx is running as can access your key (both file permissions + password if it has one)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like u could have setup an entire IIS cluster in the time it took for me to post this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

kalstrams posted:

apparently, though i thought that it shouldn't affect that
i commented out both listens from nginx.conf and it works
youre nginx wizard now

after looking at the docs

listen 443 ssl;

and

listen 443;
ssl on;

are the same things and the first one is recommended so who knows if doing
listen 443 ssl;
ssl on;

fucks it up. try removing ssl on; from what you originally posted and see if that works.

who the hell even knows. Linux is poo poo and nginx seems poorly documented for something that seems relatively popular.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

and gotten it hacked five times over as well

lol. iis is more secure than any other web server..

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if u have coax they make adapters you can plug into that that work like powerline Ethernet but way better since theres no power on there.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

That's another hosed up thing. There is a cable jack, but when I continuity test it with the other two jacks in the house, there is no connection. I have looked everywhere for the junction point and I can't find it to see why it would have been cut.

take the plates off all the wall sockets and look behind them to see if they've stuffed the junction point in one of them. some tiems they don't bother to hook everything up cause it means the cable co gets $$ for installation

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i've never used it but i've heard good things about macrium reflect: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

yeah this works great

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

so i have msdnaa/dreamspark and i'm getting windows server 2012. is there a way to use two virtualbox VMs to simulate a client/server type of thing so i can simulate active directory for a client pc but all virtualized?

use hyperv on the windows server instead of virtualbox

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

if i paste this
code:
function dateAdd(date, interval, units) {
  var ret = new Date(date); //don't change original date
  switch(interval.toLowerCase()) {
    case 'year'   :  ret.setFullYear(ret.getFullYear() + units);  break;
    case 'quarter':  ret.setMonth(ret.getMonth() + 3*units);  break;
    case 'month'  :  ret.setMonth(ret.getMonth() + units);  break;
    case 'week'   :  ret.setDate(ret.getDate() + 7*units);  break;
    case 'day'    :  ret.setDate(ret.getDate() + units);  break;
    case 'hour'   :  ret.setTime(ret.getTime() + units*3600000);  break;
    case 'minute' :  ret.setTime(ret.getTime() + units*60000);  break;
    case 'second' :  ret.setTime(ret.getTime() + units*1000);  break;
    default       :  ret = undefined;  break;
  }
  return ret;
};
into the console and then paste
code:
        // These will eventually come from config json
    var configStartday  = 1 // Monday
    var configCalWidth  = 5 // No Weekends
    var configCalLength = 3 // Three weeks at a time
var startDate = new Date(Date.now());
    console.log("Now: " + startDate)
    startDate.setDate(startDate.getDate()-startDate.getDay()+configStartday)
    console.log("Start date: " + startDate)
    var endDate = dateAdd(startDate, 7*configCalLength, 'day')
    console.log("End date: " + endDate) 
chrome can't get past var endDate = dateAdd(startDate, 7*configCalLength, 'day') because "TypeError: undefined is not a function"

what is going on here? I really hate and don't-understand js so don't assume anything about this example

should be endDate = dateAdd(startDate, 'day', 7*configCalLength)

interval is the second parameter so your switch is falling to the default which returns undefined.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
loving owned by dynamic types

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tbh its weird that broadcast tv still exists at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that case was about content, not broadcast. the spectrum should be reclaimed for something more useful.