Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I never ever have problems with computers because computers are my friends :shobon:

same!!

sometimes firefox will have all these graphical glitches like checkerboard patterns missing from the page or i'll scroll down and the whole page view (not the UI) will go all black

it's only every in firefox so i don't think it's a hardware or OS problem ......... is my browser a pos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

the IT people set up my work laptop with the bios set to RAID mode for the hard drive and iastordatamgrsvc.exe is taking up 30% of my CPU all the time

the fix is to change it to ahci mode in the bios but then windows bluescreens

i just disabled the service so it doesn't ever start, will anything bad happen

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

anthonypants posted:

you could download the ahci drivers, force install those onto your hd controller, then reboot and change the bios setting to ahci

but don't do that

yeah i thought about that but i really don't want to janitor my own laptop and also it was super easy to just fire up services.msc and set the service to manual start and be done

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i just don't want to find out later that i disabled the service that handles writing files to my hard drive

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

asus should sell selvage motherboards using only ICs from the end of the tape

lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you start loving withr adios to amek your life better but with substantial negative externalities you're a piece of poo poo and you should go to radio jail

lol

Bloody posted:

that would time travel in the wrong direction idiot

this isn't "thread for when you have problems with physics"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Valeyard posted:

ok so I dont normally use excel and cant figure out how to convert a column of unix timestmaps into some kind of normal time, please halp

http://www.berezniker.com/content/pages/office/excel-convert-unix-time-excel-time

it's the first google result so it's larry and sergey approved

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Valeyard posted:

hmm I did see this result, but..I mean how do i apply it to a range of cells, A69 to A219 for example

do it in a new column and drag down to spread the formula and have excel update the field automatically

is this not what your goal is or have you never used excel because this is like kindergarden level excel

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Valeyard posted:

is CELL an excel function that self references?

it doesnt seem to work that way

when I swap it out for an actual cell number, and then try to replicate it by dragging, it doesnt work and flakes out

i have got through life having dodged using excel very much thus far

no CELL is what you put A69 into

e.g.

=A69/(60*60*24)+"1/1/1970"

then you drag it down with the "fill handle" (dark "plus-sign" shaped cursor): http://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/867-excel-apply-formula-to-entire-column-row.html

and when you drag it down, it updates A69 to A70, A71, etc and your new column should be full of human dates

which step in the process isn't working for you?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

theadder posted:

to reject him when he came bearing powerpc is one thing but its another in tyool 2014 at the height of his power

lol if you think powerpc to intel is more than a very minor part of apple's recent success

also lol if you only started liking apple in 2006

did valeyard ever get his "baby's first excel workbook" problem sorted out?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

a few times when i picked up and unlocked my iphone, an alert box came up giving me the option to undo typing. although i like how it detected that i typed something by mistake, i'm curious to know what the exact circumstance this occurs. i don't think it's sophisticated enough to know that im making a bad post or so something

same except sometimes i pick up my iphone and swipe to unlock the screen and instead of the passcode number pad coming up it loads the background wallpaper with no icons and then locks up and i have to restart the phone

thanks timb

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

since i have it lock after 5 minutes i think this happens right at the 5 minute mark, i.e. if you start swiping before 5 minutes but then as the screen slides over, 5 minutes is up, it locks the phone

good job, apple QA

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

streaming. there is a lot less compression on 5ghz

yeah i don't know a ton about computers but this sounds like literal voodoo :iiam:

most video streams are what, a few Mbps? if you can't hit that on 802.11g, let along 2.4GHz 802.11n then i think something else is the problem

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Mr. Glass posted:

basically you should only use channels 1, 6, and 11

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i don't know what this means, my knowledge of computers is limited to google image searching "wifi channel chart"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i think it means leave it on "auto" and find something else to worry about

phew

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

and give up the sense of control that I, the power user, demand in such a childish fashion? I think not.

lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

I would like to thank everyone who made suggestions before & I guess this is a little advanced for this thraed!!

i don't know anything about computers i'm here for the jokes

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

pram posted:

my car has infinite gears

there's still a finite number of atoms in the cones that drive the belt

i don't think you "get" infinity

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

but the atoms can move around at a finer increment than "one atom"
lik ethe universe isnt a grid?
there are infinite steps between each atom, and infinite more between one end and the other

nice try, zeno

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

echinopsis posted:

is the universe on a grid and would we even know i mean there is that world-smallest-distance and that dude also snagged worls shortest time and something else. hoggin all the small poo poo

do you mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length#Theoretical_significance

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

in the stone age we could only store data in hunks of metal with holes carved in

bring back magneto-optical drives :pcgaming:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

one time i leased a modem from time warner and the modem went bad

they replaced it two more times with modems that were also bad

the onsite tech said "yeah, we don't actually throw out the bad modems, we keep using them until four different customers complain"

i bought my own modem after that

also you break even in "rental fees" after a few months

lol if you rent your modem

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

hey uh my wife's late 2009 macbook pro doesn't turn on anymore (?????) even when plugged in and i'm guessing it's because the battery is hosed. does that sound right. do i just need to buy a new battery for it??

try an smc reset first

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

quote:

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

cool thanks, i'll try that when i get home

i hope it works :tipshat:

when i was a computer janitor, an smc reset fixed it maybe 7/10 times, it's unlikely that you need a new battery

you may have some third issue though :ohdear:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

are the clients windows xp?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication#Web_browsers.5B6.5D

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

what is this called?
a csv comes in and has to be saved to another csV with a subset of the columns and in a different order
there must be a way in say excel to automate this
not macros
not manually
not vba

just like a definition file that says "put A into F, B into G, write this text into J,"

python or R maybe?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

prefect posted:

we are not men

cj u want

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

lampey posted:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Passive-Network-Tap/

make a hardware tap by doing that or splicing some ethernet cables. this will limit you too 100m connections

I want to have outlook show a secondary calendar called "team" that is shared out, and not change back to the default calendar randomly. is there any to set outlook to keep the "calendar" calendar unchecked, and keep the team calendar checked?

nooooope

not that i've found anyway

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

kalstrams posted:

i have google for business account with domain and 6 emails on it
any recommendations as of where i should migrate it, if i want neither google nor my own mail server?

prefect posted:

i've heard people around here saying nice things about fastmail.fm

i created an account just to try it out, and it's not bad. definitely better than gmail in usability

fastmail is amazing

i have a personal account and they respond to my support email (bug reports) in a few hours

they seem really on top of their game

also their blog rules:

http://blog.fastmail.com/2012/11/26/inter-tab-communication-using-local-storage/

http://blog.fastmail.com/2014/12/23/jmap-a-better-way-to-email/

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PS. Love the cabin posted:

its not as pronounced with this example for some reason but you can see the areas where it doesn't line up like it should

i need to put something under his hand but every time i try to make it it's own layer this poo poo happens

are you talking about the selection rectangle? is there a "Deselect All" option under the Edit menu or something?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

if you're on windows, use paint.net, it's nice

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

is there an actualy non-terrible discrete sound card for computers with non-terrible drivers? i got a cheap xonar dg? dx? because the onboard card made a buzzing sound in my headphones but the xonar broke rocksmith 2014 and it doesn't consistently switch between rear panel speakers and front panel headphones when i plug the headphones in

do you have optical or coaxial spdif out? you could get a cheap DAC and use that

also USB DACs are a fine choice

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

there's furmark for video cards and I guess one of the crystal disk products for hard drives? if it passes SMART it's probably not the hard drive

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

compuserved posted:

trap sprung

what? it's difficult to render (or so i am told)

like that blue guy from monsters inc melted a bunch of computers at pixar or something

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

dear mailserver nerds:

i'm trying to send an email to an address listed on a website (i.e. not a transcription error) and i'm getting

quote:

550 <email@domain.com> recipient rejected (in reply to RCPT TO command)

is there more meaning behind that than the obvious?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

kalstrams posted:

recipient typed wrong address on their website; server is down; recipients firewall is misconfigured

either of only these three, as far as i am aware

oh well

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

computer toucher posted:

dunno about the codes but your sending server might have gotten on a blacklist. try to send from an another address.

just tried it, same error :(

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

is there an extension or plug-in for explorer.exe in windows 7 that lets me color-code files and folders like os x labels (really system 7 labels)?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my computer becomes a slow piece of poo poo when transferring a lot of data to one disk or between disks

it lags, won't respond to input, etc, until the transfer is done

using an i5, windows 7, Evo 240 ssd, wd blue spinny drive

doesn't matter which disk is reading/writing for the slowdown to happen

all the special ssd poo poo is working, the drive isn't old. drivers, etc are updated

disk io queue or whatever is hosed during this time

please send help, tia

there's this old tip:

but i don't think that will help if your entire system is tanking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i'm thinking of copying my nas4free install from a 7200rpm platter drive to a usb 2.0 flash drive

i don't really have a sense which is faster, is usb 2 flash memory faster than a sata 7200rpm platter drive? does it even matter for something like nas4free?