Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Forums Terrorist posted:

usb 2 is gently caress slow so it doesn't matter

okay but that's not my question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sweevo posted:

those free NAS things normally just load an image into RAM and then run from that, so boot media speed doesn't matter unless you're turning it on and off constantly

that makes sense, thanks :)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i did more digging and it turns out i can have it either way:

quote:

Embedded install on USB or HDD

The OS boot loader and a compressed NAS4Free file system will be installed on HDD/USB/CF.
The OS will boot from HDD/USB/CF and the compressed file system will be decompressed to RAM, and then run from RAM

quote:

Full install on USB/HDD/CF

The OS is not loaded onto a RAM disk, all reading and writing is done on the hard disk or USB/CF device.

Advantages:
Saves RAM, only necessary files will be loaded on RAM.
You can define the size of the root filesystem.
Easy to customize.
You can install extra packages and / or plug-ins.

Disadvantages:
None of the listed “advantages” is actually a good thing.

i wish i had read this two years ago when i set this thing up, lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

anthonypants posted:

your Raw_Read_Error_Rate is a POSR

his "high fly" writes are a rock lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Alereon posted:

WTF is the below mouse pointer icon? every few days it replaces the normal mouse pointer icon in outlook and on the desktop, but not in any browser or in word/excel, and persists until I reboot. the area inside the red swoosh/arrow is not transparent, it is always white. any idea?

graphics driver problems? it looks like the red swoosh is part of a circle-slash prohibitory symbol to me and it's mixing up two cursors

sometimes i get the comb cursor on my ati card

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

how do you turn off the thing where you shake a window around and everything else minimizes?

is it an easter egg and all of the programs see how angry I am and flee in terror?

I would like a way to make them stay and witness what happens to bad programs.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-aeroshake-in-windows-7/

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

echinopsis posted:

so part of me is wondering if my beast pc is costing too much to run./ the problem is it acts liek a "server" and torrents etc. i dont want to turn it off

but i aint going to compromise

so servers and remote access and windows.. fully doable? i mean a lightweight server that serves files and is always on an d torrents. my other pc gets turned off and on when necessary

does windows have an easy solution for remoting, so ui can do what i need on server but using my beast pc

surely this ia c ommon scanrio

also if i was to make leightweight server what kinds of processors etc,. ram quirements would there be. would 4gb be enough? im not interested in lightning here, i dont mind waiting 5 seconds for a movie tos tream or whatever

i have a core i5 and radeon r270x

both the pc and monitor take 96 watts at idle and about 270 watts fulled stressed out

your pc is almost certainly not the cause of your high electric bills

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

a hosed up fridge thats running all the time will pull ~7amp, it adds up quick

yeah if the coils are all covered in dust the compressor will kick in more often

clean under and behind your fridge

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

just get a bunch of these and run some cable around the baseboards you big baby

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

definitely this

i got the retail version for seven bucks more: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS/dp/B00AJHDZSI/

(it has a warranty and the brown box one doesn't)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I have drives mounted there. I was wondering if there was a way provided to mount a 3.5" hdd in one of the upper 5.25 bays.

if there's not an obvious way then maybe not, but you can get a 5.25 -> 3.5 bracket on newegg for a few dollars

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

i've got an old shitbox running XP that i've been using as a glorified NAS for way too long and need to replace it. i'm aiming for 4TB of storage, gonna use it for local backups and media, dunno if i want to get a Synology or build a FreeNAS system.

i like Synology because they are literally the size of a toaster. they've got lots of built-in apps and stuff but i hear mixed reviews on those and you can't really just install whatever on them, at least not easily

FreeNAS sounds interesting because of ZFS and its ability to maintain data integrity. downside is the required hardware is much heavier than a Synology. Can get a cheap system that takes ECC RAM easily enough, but a full sized desktop vs. toaster-sized Synology, ehhhhh. might be better long term though, think it would be easier to upgrade down the road than a synology (toss in newer, larger disks, make new array, copy poo poo over and then yank the old drives. can't really do that with a 2-bay Synology)

so 2x4TB RAID1 in a Synology, or is it worth the trouble of getting a larger box to run FreeNAS in a 2x4TB or 3x4TB ZFS array? have i just been reading too many paranoid posts by crazy nerds rambling about bitrot? what do ya'll think?

i have a nas4free box on a toaster-sized hp microserver n54l that is very needs suiting

i think hp caught on though because the n54l is now like $400 when i bought mine new for $250 in 2013

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

how does the kindle handle books like house of leaves or anything with even slightly nonstandard typography

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

check out this hilarious thing that happened to me and then help me.

work gave me a surface pro and I never use it because I have an ipad. So anyway I set up a child account on the surface pro so my kid can use the painting app on it. I did something so that it auto logs in as him (child account) and the child account can only open the painting app.

So obviously the problem now is how do I log out of his account and log in as myself. since it's a restricted child account it can't do anything such as task manager or get to the "charms" or hit ctrl+alt+del.

I'm gonna just reinstall from recovery usb if there's no extremely easy way to fix this.

hard reboot so you get the login screen when it fires back up?

edit oh i missed the part where you made it auto log in, lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

can you reboot then tap F8 to get to safe mode or something?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

what does it mean, when you go to the lepers colony but there is no link to te post that teh person was probated for

when a thread is gassed, the op is probated for 10 minutes iirc, was it that?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

I have windows 8.1 on my machine

I have a lovely SSD (crucial m4 with painfully little capacity)

SHOULD I bother trying to copy my windows install over to a new SSD, or should I just reinstall? Bear in mind, I must install lovely amd raid drivers and my windows licence is an upgrade licence

I do have an 8.1 disk image kicking around

I suppose I could dd the one drive to the other and inflate it, see if it works, and if not just gently caress it and reinstall?

i've never used it but i've heard good things about macrium reflect: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

I wonder if / how that is any different to just copying the one disk onto another

i mean you can't just do ctrl-a and copy the files if that's what you were thinking

it's probably similar to dd but more user friendly and it might handle disks of different sizes better, but idk much about dd

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i have a machine running windows 7 and i want to do stupid stuff in ubuntu or arch or some kind of linux, what are my vm options? it looks like vmware player can also create vm's (despite the name "player" seeming to imply otherwise?)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

anthonypants posted:

virtualbox is decent if you don't have a vmware license

i think vmware player is free for personal use but it doesn't look like it has snapshots, is virtualbox worth looking into?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

virtualbox works well enough 4 me

its too bad there's been like no progress on colinux/andlinux x64

okay thanks :tipshat:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

so i have msdnaa/dreamspark and i'm getting windows server 2012. is there a way to use two virtualbox VMs to simulate a client/server type of thing so i can simulate active directory for a client pc but all virtualized?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

anthonypants posted:

yes, just put them on the same virtual network and make sure they're both on at the same time

cool :tipshat:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Shaggar posted:

use hyperv on the windows server instead of virtualbox

can i run hyper-v from within virtualbox?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Try and report please.

maybe i will!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i thought about asking this in the radio thread but that seems to be mostly hams so i'll try here:

I got an atsc tv tuner but when I do a channel scan with that, it doesn't pick up any stations. it's just the dinky little default antenna, so is it more likely that I'm not picking anything up because I live in a rural area or is it more likely that something is misconfigured and the software isn't communicating with the device properly? (I don't know much about the range of atsc tv signals.)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

check out antenna web and see what direction and distance the local stations are

you might need a better antenna too

hmm this is depressing

is 26 miles too much for a little 6-inch antenna?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

maybe

I had an indoor amplified antenna at my old place and most of these were iffy

hmm :geno:

any antenna recommendations? :angel:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

ok thanks everyone :3:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

okay now my computer has digital aids what do I do

are they hearing aids? lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Shaggar posted:

delete 14.9gb worth of emails. or maybe theres a way to tell outlook to only grab the last X days of mail instead of all 15gb

yeah download a bunch of the emails as a .pst or something to keep locally instead of on the server

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

also save the .pst in something like backblaze or dropbox

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ya i thought of that, the problem is after PSTing them how does she access those emails easily as a 50 something ceo who cant be bothered with funy computar

it just shows up below all the other folders, almost like a different "account"

and let's be honest, how often is she accessing emails from 2002 anyway

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

If you have someone at your company with compliance in their job description, this could be a really bad idea.

well then they would get a chance to do their job, wouldn't they?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i don't know anything about exchange, can you call up the server admins and have them create the pst right on the server, from the server, so it's just moving data around internally?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

actually...despite my yelling at the email provider that using her account on my laptop wouldnt work, it seems to be, so far, despite the fact its pulling down the emails really slowly.

her comp is going pretty slow in general, so im thinking a hard drive failure is imminent despite the fact the fruit store replaced hers in september, and thats whats causing outlook to lock up

fire up disk utility, it will give you the SMART status for the disk

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

ya its clean, and verifying fine as well. wtf is going on here jesus fuckin pisssssss

only diff between my laptop and hers is it has an ssd instead of a 5400 rpm dino, could having a lovely hdd really cause outlook to stop functioning altogether tho

mac outlook stores each email as a separate file so spotlight can index them, so absolutely yes a lovely but functional hard drive could be the cause

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

lol holy poo poo is that why when I was cleaning up her old outlook install it involved trashing 1.5 million tiny files

yep! :newlol:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

prefect posted:

there is an indexing service that you can turn off

yeah you can mark the folder in an exclusions list in the spotlight preferences

it will won't help the fact that outlook creates 1 file per email (unless that has a setting too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

hmm. and thats the original issue.

mail.app was also having issues syncing (although it was more responsive,) does it do pretty much the same thing?

outlook is now responding ok but stopped at 25k downloaded items and wont load anything newer than yesterday

yeah most email clients do the 1 email = 1 file because of spotlight