Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I bought a mini moving dolly from Harbor Freight for $8. They're on sale again right now. You all should seriously go buy one. So handy.

One? I have four and counting. They will actually hold up an entire car. And an annoying stack of tires in a crowded garage is far less annoying when stacked on one of those.

Cool thread, cool Nova.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Unrelated:
Saw this at the yard as well. Made me think of Lloyd.

Aww it's so sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You can see them behind the engine, this car is light and I actually rolled it around my garage on them, over the seams and everything.

Same here with a much heavier car:

They are way more awesome than they have any right to be.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, that or find a bezel that is destroyed except for the stereo hole and graft them together. That sucks, it's one of the things I was extremely happy about on my 122, nobody hosed with the radio hole.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

1 - Rear springs (again, right rear is currently thrashed)
2 - Front springs
3 - Shocks
4 - Front swaybar
5 - Rear swaybar
6 - Subframe connectors
7 - Control Arms

Thoughts?

The only thing I'd say is include safety impact in the list order. If subframe connectors will make the car more stable than swaybars, then do those first. The list makes sense to me though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

drat that's gotta feel good! Take video when you back it out too.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Not the end of the world if it doesn't, but I won't have a horn.

Or better still, it breaks in a way that closes the contact: all horn all day!

You'll be like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wDw5Lk6VL4

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

There's always just "heat gun and scraper" which works pretty well on any adhesive, just time consuming.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Only when the material gets good and much higher temp. As it is now I've had 3d printed parts melt in the car just from the sun.

Then again I was a naysayer about the usefulness of a 3d printer in general and I was proven wrong about 3 years ago on the job. One of my coworkers bought one, brought it to work, and we immediately used the poo poo out of it, so much that the company paid him back for it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

As for ballpark alignment, seriously just eyeball it. Use some straight edge like a concrete seam or something to just set the wheels pointed so they look straight. That or tape measure between treads on the front and rear of the tire. Obviously you want to get it to an alignment shop earlier rather than later but Caster and Camber won't matter at all and toe is all you'll need to set for tire wear and basic handling. And even if your toe is horrible it won't wear the tires unless you drive a thousand miles without aligning it.

Great progress still. More than on my project.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Smoke in the engine bay is 100% normal on a project startup, you know that right? One greasy handprint on the manifold will smoke like a motherfucker. It's only a problem if it doesn't go away.

Also, congratulations on the startup! Vids when it moves please.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Is the next step dropping filling the trans?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Never don't post. A lot more people are watching than you think. And we live for this poo poo. Nice work.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Maybe one of these?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pui-72xs10c/applications

If not there are a wide variety of others available as far as I can tell. I mean, the door panel place should have seat covers right?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Did you do any searching for an off the shelf solution?

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/6874nova.htm

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I just did some image searching and basically any period correct spoiler looks the same. It's a flat piece of metal angled down at about 45 degrees with some but very little shaping. If you search barracuda or camaro or chevelle or mustang front spoiler I bet you find something you like that you don't have to mod very much to get installed.

Also NO PICTURES WTF rear end in a top hat

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Very nice. We want video when you drive it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh, and I kept my promise to myself by getting it on the road by the end of summer. Autumnal equinox is technically at 8:54 tonight :v:.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct. /futurama

loving congratulations. It looks really good.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Haha. Have you named the car yet? Because Spagett! would be a fun name.

And yeah, that's pretty much how it is.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah if those are the same ones I got for my old car, they're affordable and have great output even stock. And you can of course upgrade to whatever bulb you want that fits.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G72SKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm going to try to make it a point to run it pretty regularly now to keep that new battery lively.
Just buy a battery tender for peace of mind. Even a super cheap trickle one like this will work. I bought this one and it works great.

Relying on regular starts and the alternator will just lead to ruining the new battery in my experience. At least until you are seasonally driving it.

Also, hell yeah, great post!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 9, 2021

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Youtube has the instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpP6WXxLmXI&t=76s

If your clips look different or are way stiffer then you might need some other tool or method. But this is the typical "walk" method for spiral clips.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You can't just take the engine off the stand for a minute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I was assuming you had access to a hoist. Maybe just don't install the thing until you do have a hoist and are about to fit up the transmission. I guess I have an aversion to extra install/remove on the crank journals. Do what you gotta do.