Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

Wait a minute.

According to that, then, our name should very clearly be HARD MODE.

Come on everyone what kind of goons would we be if we stood in the way of the LPer selecting hard mode?

I haven't read the link but, if there truly is a hard mode, I second this vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I feel bad, because I can't get emotionally invested yet. We only just met Hinawa and the way they revealed her death was just...stupid if I'm honest. Surely no human being would ever deliver news that way. We can analyze the game and find a meaning in that, but it took me out of the moment. I am curious where this plot is going though, I want it to make me cry by the end.

Honestly? Same here. Hinawa didn't have much in the way of characterization or anything really, so her death just screams "Plot device!" to me. I get the death reveal was meant to be awkward, but I still don't like the way they did it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Music Stuff

So in other words, gently caress combos. I like that they're there, but they don't seem particularly necessary anyway. Especially if this is like other RPGs where the end game will mostly consist of strategic skill use rather than just normal attacks.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

:golfclap:

The caption is what sells it. Congrats on the new avatar. LPs seem like the best place for those.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I think I'm starting to have reservations about some of this. The whole "money" thing is really rubbing me the wrong way. Like, if something of actual worth had gone missing I'd understand, but he pretty clearly doesn't even know what money is. He ascribed value to it because he (stupidly) traded his pig away for it, but nobody else knows that or cares. Why would Duster even want the money? Why did he even tell one of the two thieves in town about it in the first place? Maybe I'm being too critical here, but I just have some bad feelings about this whole setup. I really hope we're not going down the plotline I think we are.

Also yes, Wess is kind of a dick.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Its been way too long since I've looked at any Brawl trophies, so I'm pretty safe I think. I do remember the Mother level and stages though, but without context I can't really imagine what they are really meant to be aside from the obvious.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

They're not exactly subtle about it, and there's some pretty thick irony in the message of "money is EVIL guys!" being in a video game.

That's pretty much what I'm worried about here. Oh well, time will tell I suppose.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah, the ostrelephant is the first enemy that's less "quirky cute" and more "oh God, kill it with fire". I think its the fact that its body is an elephant head, rather than torso. Like, which part has the brain? Do they both have brains? Why is it smiling like that? Where the hell are the organs located? Before, the enemies were quirky but they still looked like they functioned. A mouse with wings, a snake with a chicken head, so on and so forth. This is the first one that just out and out doesn't make sense. Seriously, the enemy design in this game is great so far.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Blastinus posted:

Truth be told, the introductory chapters of the game might have taken too long to get the game going properly. We only formed a full party, what, three or four updates ago, if that? I mean, I know that the original Earthbound didn't give you your entire party for a while, but for some reason, it just feels like it took longer here.

Maybe it's a case of different pacing. I can't say for sure.

This is basically my thought on it. The pacing felt a bit awkward in the beginning, but as a whole I'm enjoying the LP and game. My only real complaint is just how in your face the Tazmilly section after the timeskip was, but as others have pointed out its more subtle than that which I appreciate. I just wish it was a little less subtle. And I guess I wish Lucas didn't do the silent protagonist routine. Having everyone be silent for their own perspective chapters was a very nice touch, but I really wish they developed Lucas' character more. I'd love to see what he has to say about everything that's been happening and has happened.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Baron Snow posted:

Patrick Rothfuss does it. Has like 80 chapters in a book, but like 5 of them are less then a page, and another 10 are less then 2 pages.

True but he, and the Hitchhiker's example mentioned, did it specifically to parody the concept of chapters in the first place. Rothfuss went on record saying his editor actually forced him to put chapters in, so he did it that way as a joke.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I almost want to say this is a parody of cutscene stupidity, like making fun of the stuff you'd see in White Knight Chronicles where the heroes just let the villain do whatever because Plot. But if it was, then they definitely could have done it better and the whole thing feels rather cheep. Eh, Poe's Law I guess.

Still though, the Barrier Trio was amazing.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

This is exactly why I have no interest in Mother 4. There is only one Itoi, and he's not interested in making another game in the series, so as far as I'm concerned, this series is over. You can try to imitate his style, but as we've seen in this LP, there's just so much attention to detail in his games that it's really difficult to do that.

Does that mean you shouldn't try though? I agree that it probably won't be exactly like the Mother series despite their efforts, but that's good in a way. I'd like to see someone else take a stab at something like this series. Itoi was great of course and if you're measuring it only to his standard, then no it definitely won't be as good. But that doesn't mean it can't be good or entertaining in other ways. Personally, I'm really looking forward to what they make. They've been putting in a ton of effort into it, and I'd like to see what sort of style it ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

According to my friend, when Claus is briefly in your party at the beginning of the game he makes the same attack noise as the Masked Man does later on when you fight him. I love musical cues like this in games, so I hope this is true.

• Locked thread