Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

b0lt posted:

2/3, tech workers aren't "overwhelmingly white".

A large part of them doesn't even earn well. Where I live, there is plenty of "Tesco for programmers" - businesses which hire mostly young programmers, pay them lovely wages barely above minimum and force unpaid overtime on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

This is far more prevalent in the SV bubble where "young people are just smarter" is taken as gospel, but even regular non-SV techies can't help but cringe when legislators start talking about cracking down on file sharing and copyright infringement on the "series of tubes". Combine that general distaste for our government composed of older people with the level of hero worship SV types have for big-name CEOs like Zuckerberg and Jobs, and it's not surprising one bit to hear calls like Tunney's.

A similar thread of ageism is also pretty common in anti-union rhetoric, which is all about how the plucky young hard worker fresh out of college and ready to bust their rear end is being held back and robbed by an organization dedicated to protecting the lazy middle-aged slacker just coasting until his early retirement with fabulous benefits that are no longer available to the new worker.

It's not as simple as "young people disdain the old". They have some good reasons to do so:

1. Politicians frequently don't know anything about the issues they are supposed to vote about, especially the ones techies tend to care about. This leads to somewhat hilarious situations like the one in Greece, where the government accidentally banned all video games while trying to curb illegal gambling.
2. There is currently a lot of resentment towards the older generations, mostly because they got what they children will never have. Take the pensions in Europe for example, which were not only silently slashed but the retirement age has been raised as well. A lot of millenials are simply pissed they have to finance generous pensions for the currently retired with zero guarantee they are going to receive theirs at all.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

duck monster posted:

Its not just labor issues either. I'm amazed at how widespread climate denialism is. Everytime theres a thread on slashdot about the climate (For the most part the slashdot mods are pro-science) they get derailed by lunatics frothing on about conspiracies and the like, then these get upvoted to +5 INFORMATIVE and anyone who disagrees gets -1 TROLL and basically hidden. A colleague of mine (I work at a govt department that does land management as an IT guy) who does climate simulation for modeling prescribed burns posted a bit of a rebuttal to some guy ranting about Al gore and how fake scientists only do it for career and he noted how his workmates are careful to try and word reports to not sound like climate science since theres a growing trend of climate researchers being retrenched by politicized funding bodies for stating that there might be negative consequences associated with CO2 outputs. He was then -1 TROLLed. Another work colleage had a similar experience talking about penguin migrations (He researches the little guys). Meanwhile the lunatics posting about vast left wing conspiracies are given all 5 manbabies and well yeah.

I mean its internet points and all but it does give indications as to the statistical mindset of the site and its IT professional audience who imagine themselves to be highly rational athiest science dudes.

There are several things worth noting, though:

1. The people writing comments are the ones that are most passionate about the issue. There are many more guys who will never even vote in the thread, let alone add some content of their own.
2. As soon as one side of the conflict gains domination, they are usually able to shout out any dissenters.
3. People naturally try to find content that confirms their beliefs. They tend to gravitate towards ideologically close forums and avoid ones dominated by opponents of their worldview.

This means that it's very hard to find a place in the Internet that is representative for the entire population. Most likely, your colleague and you have stumbled into one of many fap circles.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I can't believe you people are seriously upset about software developers using a job title you don't feel they deserve. This is truly the greatest thread :allears:

A group of professionals having an inflated sense of importance and inventing a mission to pretend they are not just doing poo poo for money? Why I never

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Best Friends posted:

I've worked very hard, have a lot of experience, and a challenging degree, so I think it's pretty fair to call myself Doctor. Besides, how else are you going to say "person who fixes things?"

Ph.D. means "Doctor of Philosophy" - how do you deal with the fact that some people use this title even though they don't know poo poo about medicine?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

In my country a lot of software developers graduate through technical universities and, in the process, get the title of "engineer" after 3 years. After 2 more, they become "masters of engineering". Is it valid enough, or do you also consider it a travesty that should be stopped?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Cheekio posted:

Because it's not a science, it's an engineering discipline at best. Next question?

Really?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Cheekio posted:

No, you see it was confusing to Gantolandon and therefore a science. He's hoping to get a degree in not-shitposting someday but can't find any accreddited universities.

When I do, I'm going to call myself a Posting Engineer, just to get more delicious sperg tears.

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Math is not a science.

Yes, it is. Never heard about formal sciences?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Math and logic are math and logic. They were developed thousands of years before the scientific method. Just because people like to tack on the word "science" to everything these days to make it sound credible doesn't mean everything is a science.

Would you say that so-called "formal sciences" don't deserve this prestigious name? Does it bother you that mathematicians get to call themselves "scientists" despite never having to deal with a resonance cascade or being kidnapped by an evil mastermind to develop a doom laser? Holy poo poo, it makes my blood boil.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Alien Arcana posted:

It's offered as a BA because of its association with logic and philosophy, and it's offered as a BS because of its association with science.

Look, I'm not trying to set out an XKCD-style argument that math is "better" than science because it's beep boop logical, I'm just saying that they're two different things. Science is fundamentally based on experimentation and measurement - the scientific method - and these are things that are largely inapplicable to mathematics.

I'll concede I shouldn't have said "purely" without specifying what I meant by "deductive." (Basically I was referring to mathematics' dependence on logical proofs.) In the interest of mutual understanding, what areas of mathematics would you say are not "pure deductive reasoning?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_mathematics

Hell, geometry is one of the precursors of mathematics - and it started from philosophers drawing shapes, playing with them and observing results. Take a look at this proof of Pythagorean theorem and tell me this is not an experiment when someone tried to validate a hypothesis by cutting away triangles from a square.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Experimentation != scientific method. Notice the wiki article you linked doesn't call experimental math science, which is the whole point.

When I try dipping chocolate into queso isn't not science just tasty.

OK, here are the four essential elements of the scientific method:

quote:

Characterizations (observations,[55] definitions, and measurements of the subject of inquiry)
Hypotheses[56][57] (theoretical, hypothetical explanations of observations and measurements of the subject)[58]
Predictions (reasoning including logical deduction[59] from the hypothesis or theory)
Experiments[60] (tests of all of the above)

Can you tell me which of these elements does the Pythagorean theorem and its proof lack?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Alien Arcana posted:

That's not a scientific experiment, it's just a demonstration. The proof of the Pythagorean theorem must come, like any other theorem, from a chain of logical deductions starting with some set of axioms. Yes, trial and error are often highly useful tools in constructing a proof; but once the proof has been found, it stands alone, and the false starts can be discarded. In contrast, in scientific fields the experiments are the proof (or rather the evidence, since science doesn't deal in hard proof).

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Typo posted:

I think we should have a DnD struggle session thread to root out the false leftists

Isn't it the point of this thread?

• Locked thread