Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Just want to say, performing both residential in-house IT and commercial MSP tasks in a two technician shop as the junior tech for $35K is really frustrating. Especially when the owner also keeps dropping money on 13 year old Apple machines in various states of disrepair and gives me the sole task of reviving them in between tickets so he can attempt to sell them for $300-$500.

I am allowed to run Manjaro instead of Windows on my main machine, though, so that's nice.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Jiro posted:

The gently caress? Does he expect you to make Hackintoshes just.....work or something? And on the cheap? Are these old rear end Macbooks or god forbid early iMacs that were circa 2009 all in one's with the LED monitors built in?

Yes.

iMacs, Minis, Macbooks, all from 2007-2014, primarily. Haven't counted but AT LEAST 100, all told, and he keeps adding more.

Basically salvaging parts from the poo poo to rescue others. No SSDs to be installed though, except for the flat-screen 27 inch models which he thinks are special... even though they are all 2012-2014.

A photo before he basically doubled this with minis:

And that's just the storage room. He has stuff offsite, in his office, and in the operation manager's office.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 6, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

johnny park posted:

maybe he should fix them himself. jesus

I wish. We're not even an Apple shop! But he seems to think Apple=sales for some reason. He's super out of the loop, but he did this without consulting the rest of us.

Keep in mind, I actually cleared that whole shelf in that picture, and he predictably hasn't sold poo poo. Yet he keeps bringing poo poo in.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 6, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Someone is always dense enough. But there's not as many as he thinks are out there.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Can't say I'm familiar with who you're referring to.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Oh, THAT dude. No, but I have definitely seen his videos before.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Here's the status as of 7:03am. Not sure where they moved the 4 foot tall stack of minis to. There were more than the ones pictured here.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Why am I like this?

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY JOURNEYMAN SIGSMITH Dick Fontaine

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 20, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

monitoring your disk i/o speeds while you play a local file of bob dylan like a boomer?

I mean, I'm not playing it, I'm converting 238gb of FLACS into AAC to put on a modded iPod. But otherwise.... yeah. Ironically, I don't really even like Bob Dylan at all, but figured I'd check out the rest of his work.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 21, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Are you literally using spinning disks in tyol2023?

Not those ones, no, I actually wiped those and 8 others a couple days ago. But my desktop does have 3 HDD in it for the cheap storage, backups and working with client data when messing with their drives. I'm actually running off a 128gb SSD. Otherwise, all HDD, plus a MyBook for a total of around 10-12TB.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Observes all the things

There is more there, you know. Like an old FM 7-8 from the early 90s, for example.

As to the drink, local 7-11 carries them and they're cheaper than redbull. I don't have any complaints.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 21, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Isn't though. The spices are there though because I bought a cast iron skillet and a hot plate for the office, to make breakfast sometimes when I'm there early. Downside is without a proper kitchen sink and disposal, I'm limited mostly to liquid eggs (to avoid potential eggy odors), bacon and sausage.

Also, the spot in question:

Also, yes, that's a thermal typewriter under the desk.

Also, floppies.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 21, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Cooking bacon on a hot plate in the office? Man.

I mean, at 6 am, 2 hours before everyone else shows up. Smell is gone by then.

Unfortunately.

Haven't used it for about a month though. Been making a conscious effort to give them less of my time for the mere 34k they're paying. Trying to use that time to find some more money out there.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 21, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

You haven't lived until you've had a 49" monitor with a 16in laptop powering it and also open.

What if it was a 60" TV hooked to a T420 running Endeavor, just to play Star Control II?

Not... that that's anything I would ever do.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

GreenNight posted:

drat. I made 33.6k in 2003 for my first it job.

Yeah it's not great. And I pull dual duty, simultaneously working for the residential company as the only tech, and for the MSP side as the junior guy in a two man team.

Although to be fair, this is my first IT job, so there's that. But I feel pretty grossly underpaid.

I'm expected to do onsite/remote MSP and breakfix poo poo, while also performing residential bench work, remote calls and house calls.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 21, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Blurb3947 posted:

That's not even $20/hr. Curious why you stay at that point?

You are grossly underpaid. Especially if you're the sole tech. If you've got an education or certs you could probably make double what you are now. Heck even desktop support would be a great step.

I'm not staying, trying to get out. I am behind on certs though, I only have an A+ even though I'm doing Sys admin tasks, among other things. I really need to get back on that grind when I can get something with a slower workflow.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

You know, you might be on to something there.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

My bedroom tv is 8k and I put grafana it

I would probably do that, to be honest. I love me some nice charts and graphs in pretty colors.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 21, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I promise you the office still smells like bacon 2 hours later.

Hey, I asked them all repeatedly if they're good, they okayed it in the first place, so at this point I'd say it's on them.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

CloFan posted:

Don't let that stop you from applying everywhere. A+ is good enough to get out of the MSP mines

Everyone saying you are underpayed are right, however, they are viewing it from the lens of bay area and other high CoL places. Are you in a metro area? If you are rural, mid-$30k is about right for entry level deskside support. There are places that pay more, sure, but if you live in bumfuck Arkansas like me that is absolutely the norm. Either way, it sounds like you have enough experience to GTFO and find a real sysadmin job

I'm in Bradenton, FL, which is about 30-40 miles south of Tampa Bay and St. Petersburg.

See, I do a bunch of stuff:

Server setup and config:

Sysadmin and end user support:

Residential repair:

And "refurbs."

Plus the aforementioned driving onsite for both commercial and residential.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 21, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Imagine being an operations manager for a tiny 3 tech MSP, going on a week-long vacation to St. John, then logging into Connectwise at 9PM EST to manually go through your technicians' tickets so you can scold them in teams for doing their jobs. Well, imagine no more.

One of several against each several employees.

Nothing crazy, just a typical micromanager that's starting to show her rear end.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 31, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Me too. Got a job offer this afternoon that I'm going to learn more about tomorrow from a contact, so here's hoping I leave this vastly underpaid gig behind.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

No, she just talks like that, in person as well. This ticket is one she's been wanting addressed for several months, and is very simple: remove all remote agents on machines that haven't been active. We had a backlog of them since a couple clients have employees that use machines once a year or so, and we wanted to verify with her that we knee which clients those were. She's pushed to "discuss" this multiple times, but it's been a month since it was last addressed and my dispatcher pushed me the ticket, so I just did my job as requested, removing all agents not seen in the last 60 days, according to company policy.

She's also taken to watching everyone through our security cameras and eavesdropping on conversations, walking up unannounced behind us multiple times a day if she feels the techs are talking too much for a "status update" to interrogate you about the work you're doing, passive aggressively insulting people when she pleases (our dispatcher in particular), and has also created a system where EVERY ticket is high priority and must be taken care of right then; an ID scanner or email issue is given near equal weight to a downed server or failure of LoB software, which means we spend almost all our time jumping tickets abd putting out small "fires" rather than implementing solutions or doing useful admin activities.

I'm bitching, I know, and it's not remotely the worst job I've had, but I am a combo commercial sysadmin and residential repairman making 34K a year, and not being paid overtime. I literally am not being paid enough to put up with it.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 31, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Forgot to add, she's like this because the owner, though a great guy, basically has no idea how the company functions day to day and abdicates a lot of responsibility, so she essentially does what she wants, how she wants, with no pushback

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Cyks posted:

What the hell kind of job combo is that.

Also that’s poo poo pay even for our entry level service techs ( residential repairmen) for our apartments, let alone any computer toucher.

Oh wait did you mean residential IT repairs? That makes way more sense and is why I shouldn’t be scrolling while falling asleep.

No it's a combo, the owner bought a residential PC repair shop a decade ago, started a MSP, and the two companies are intertwined. So I am both a sysadmin and do residential repair.

And it can really, really suck when the two clash. Which they do almost every day.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

That would be a more entertaining job, I think!

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Imagine being on vacation in St. John’s and messaging at 930p (wouldn’t that be like 1130p local time there?) — I’d raise some hell about 9pm non-turbo emergency teams messages being unacceptable

You handled it well though

Best part is, as long as my next two rounds of interviews go well, I'll have a new job doing less work with double the salary by the end of the week. Wish me luck!

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Hell yeah, get after it

Hell yeah, got it! Waiting on the final offer, and I'm doubling my salary.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Typical MSP Monday; start the day with two tickets and monitoring, end with 9-12, including travel and remotely updating Quickbooks company wide for two companies at the endof the workday manually, since it needs to be installed as local admin. Find out 2 are bullshit tickets of the "oh I was just panicking" variety. Meanwhile, the lead hosed up issues for two clients regarding Prrofpoint and VOIP which apparent has both clients threatened to bounce.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Susat posted:

Uh Hey thread, it's been a little bit. I need some advice.

So I'm starting my 5th month at my job, and things have been.. kinda poo poo.

Basically they bumped my shift off to 2nd shift at the start of november and I've started hemorrhaging technicians. It's down to just me and one other guy on my shift right now. We've started having problems with parts availability as well. So the result of this has been a bunch of people leaving because they don't want to do warehouse work (I don't blame them). When the parts shortage started they essentially loaned all of the techs on my shift to a nearby department and gave them absolutely insane KPIs. Think like 25 an hour when the most you can do with focused effort is like 6-7. It's a mess and it sucks.

Then last week nVidia came down and told us they want us to diagnose *125* of their HGX H100 8GPU servers every week. Please look up the price on one of those, they'll probably make your jaw drop if you're not familiar with the cost of server hardware. Anyway, that number is impossible to meet because anyone who could be a diagnostic tech on my shift has absconded, moreso because we've only trained 8 people on them and two of them are myself and the dayshift lead who have other duties. Also they only sent us 83, but then nVidia's engineers are still developing the diagnostic troubleshooting process for us, so they're asking us for additional diags that are sometimes making a single server take up to 10+ hours to get a final diagnostic on.

An Aside: Also we've missed essentially every SLA because the parts nVidia keeps sending us for the HGX A100 8GPU servers have an absolutely ridiculous failure rate, like 45% average baseboard fail rate.

So that number got more than halved to a slightly less unrealistic 47. Which we still can't meet. Last week we got 5 final diagnostics on these servers and this week so far we've got 7. This stuff doesn't really bother me as much as the mistreatment of my team because my boss and the other supervisor understand that this is the circumstance we have and it's not our fault for the breakdown in communication or some bigwig at nVidia trying to squeeze us for an insane number we can't make. Even if they make other dumb as gently caress decisions.

The thing that does suck is.. I'm still making 17.50 an hour without benefits. I was promised a pay increase and to be brought on from the contracting company back in September. That hasn't happened, and what is salting the wound is I found out two weeks ago is that apparently they hired multiple techs from the 1st shift people, some of them with significantly less time than what I've put in. They rushed to get these guys in before thanksgiving so they could get benefits and time off for Dec.They're now not hiring new people until after January.

I'm thinking very hard about moving on. I guess maybe with my experience in a leadership role and working on (I Guess?) cutting edge server tech, I'm wondering what I should aim for? and also if it's too soon and I should tough it out for a little longer?
Also if it was never my actual title because of the lead around I've been put on, but it was still the work I did, is it disingenuous to write my title as "Lead Technician" on my resume?

You do way more than I do, service more expensive equipment, and still make my same pay at a lovely MSP. You gotta get out of there man!

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Hed posted:

Didn't see a good thread for this since it looks like this one is focused on careers but I didn't see anything IT A/V or other on here so figured this might have a good reach?

Our current boardroom (~15x50) just has a Crestron camera bar at the far end. It's OK, just gives a sense of the scope of the room but you can't see past the first few participants. Our chairman has asked what we can do and that he's seen some interesting stuff from Owl Labs. It looks like they have a camera that also plops onto the table and can focus on folks.

The current microphone and speaker distribution in the room is great.

The idea would be can we get a better camera and have the ability to "hot shot" focus on the active speaker(s) during meetings (typically Teams or Zoom). I'll take a look at Owl, but are there any other systems I should be looking at?

We had a client that had a meeting room Owl. They REALLY liked it, huge fans of it. Downside is they don't really support the product after purchase; there's no repairing a broken one. They killed one and we ended up switching them to some other company that was like "Owl at home" but had better support for the product.

[Edit] Nexvoo, that was the company. These are pretty good, but the AI isn't as smooth as the meeting room Owl. However, they will let you trial the product; at least they did for us.

Long story short: If you want the best device, can't beat the Owl. If product support is important, though, try the Nexvoo, unless you want to drop a grand everytime an Owl fails.

https://www.nexvoo.com/

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 7, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I feel like point-to-point conferencing systems are going away thanks to Zoom, but that doesn't stop Executives from spending $100k on the hardware because some MSP sales rep sold them on it.

Don't look at me, I try to find bargains; I don't want to support a $100K nightmare for the pittance they pay me.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Well drat, boss is firing me by end of month for having the gall to ask for a raise that I haven't had for two years and to tell him that building a custom PC for every managed endpoint we replace rather than buying standard business machines is loving stupid and quadruples labor time per device. Joke's on him though, the lead tech started looking for work today after hearing the owners new plans, and the junior see how I'm being g treated and is plotting his leave.

Owner is trying to say I've created a hostile work environment. Yet, I spoke to every other employee but the COO tonight and all corroborated he's making poo poo up and only spoke to the COO, who hates my guts. Curious.

My skillset isn't irreplaceable, but my dedication and ethic might just be. He's gonna have a bad time when he'stechnicians. 20+ loud clients and no technicians.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

If anyone is in Bradenton, FL and needs a tech/sys admin. I'm free.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Well, turned a firing into a hiring elsewhere. A client asked me what was up, was offended at my $17/hr pay, and pulled connections with the city to get me an interview for a Traffic Signal Technician position, courses included, and then tipped me $100.

Interview's on Monday. Meanwhile, back at the office, they realized they have no one to do my job, and tried to gaslight me by saying the letter asking me to quit if I was unsatisfied with my pay and company's direction, immediately following the conversation where he said it will NEVER go up, wasn't an effective firing letter.

If you aren't making changes to what's pissing me off, I'm not going to magically become "satisfied."

Morons.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'll use the extra money and time to learn to code.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

The gall of these people. Congrats on your interview and good riddance.

Sounds like another great place to not give notice. Just don’t come in after your next pay check. Ghost those assholes.

The look on his face when I told him I had removed all my tools, dropped my Zoho subscription, and taken my 20tb desktop setup home with me was worth it. I fully intend to drop them the day I am officially hired. I WAS originally going to give notice and do the right thing, before the letter, but this recent disrespect means no kid gloves as far as I'm concerned.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Blurb3947 posted:

I got to keep a bunch of to-be-recycled equipment that I ended up using as a homelab or spares including 15 SAS 2tb server drives. Had about a decade of use but I only wanted 3 lol

Also scored a few 4th gen intel Zotac machines and a few with passive cooling.

I currently have a machine I explicitly asked my company's owner to keep which I stuffed full of old client hard drives for a total 6tb internal, a seperate 4tb server hdd, a 2tb hdd, and an 8TB MyBook a residential client gifted me. I have more storage than I know what to do with.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This thread seriously discussed learning AD for like three pages in what is almost the year 2024 :psyduck:

And yes, I mean, I know it's still in use at a ton of places and there's reasons you might want to get familiar with it, but still, seems very much like diving headlong into a dying industry. The death may take 20 years and it will never truly die (there's still companies using Lotus Notes and Novell, right? Not to mention Fortran & COBOL hanging on in finance), but who would choose to go into AD work at this point if there's any other option?

We've got two AD environments left and thank Christ one of them is finally going away next year, ideally April but probably summer. The other is a tiny client that hates change but whatever, I mostly don't deal with them. Other than that it's all Entra all the time and I love it, other than the annoyances of clients who insist on using Google Workspace which can suck an entire bag of dicks. And Microsoft doing stupid renames.

Don't get me wrong, I liked and still like AD for a lot of reasons, but these days with remote work and cloud-first approaches it's just extra effort and pain to have all of that sitting on local infrastructure (even that "local" infrastructure is VMs on AWS), needing to be maintained, and back-ending all of your cloud identity.

At my job, 16-18 of 20 clients are all on premise AD. The death of on premise is overstate sometimes, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

so instead of hiring another helpdesk person (which we actually need) they're gonna look for someone willing to do work-to-hire, non-management position on sharepoint, cybersecurity, AAD migration, and helpdesk, all in one role. Am I way off base in thinking that it's a weird rear end hodgepodge that they'll never fill with anyone competent?

but apparently SSO is inherently insecure so maybe I just don't know anything about computers and my boss is right

That.... that's my current job.

I'm expected to do:

MS365 monitoring
Proofpoint
SentinelOne
Webroot
Axcient X360
Some phone system we've implemented
SonicWall
Auvik
Teams phones and SIP devices
Help Desk (remote)