Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Looking for some interview advice, in particular questions I should be asking.

I have an interview next week for an IT Supporter/Technician at a radiation therapy department. It's inside the same overall organization I already work at, currently I'm in help desk on a temp contract, which expires at new year's. I like my current help desk position as well as the overall way IT is managed in the org, so I'm really hoping to land a permanent position.
My education is in software development, but over the past 2-3 years I have gradually discovered that it might not really be a job I'm cut out for. Which is why I'm now looking into support instead.
It would be my first time doing support in the field (apart from several years ago at a small office), and additionally working with medical machines. As in, machines that could maim and kill if configured wrong. I obviously don't have any medical training. Are those real concerns?
Are there things to look out for regarding the team I would be joining, as well as coworkers?
The job posting mentioned a wide range of tasks including hardware setup, user support, some light software development/scripting, probably vendor contacts etc., anything to watch out for there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

CloFan posted:

One helpdesk worker fired for being incompetent

That can actually happen in reality?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

What the gently caress does learning to use a flash drive even entail beyond plugging it in?

Being able to use Explorer. That's very complicated you know.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think I've used one of those. The thing that actually makes it bad is how far the "button" travels. If it was just a tiny amount like the microswitches on regular mice it wouldn't be a problem, but when it travels something like 5 mm on a rubber dome switch it gets impossible to control.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Powershell doesn't use the file APIs in the way that allows up to 32k character paths? Really?

If the built-in cmdlets don't support long paths, I don't think you'll be getting around it easily, without writing some code in a "real" language. There is some documentation on the programming patterns required to support long file paths here: Maximum Path Length Limitation

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone know how to make a full screen program in general or Windows remote desktop in particular start on a secondary monitor? As it is now, I usually have to drag my ticket window to the secondary, or put the remote session in windowed mode and drag it to the secondary screen.

It looks like Ultramon can control which monitor a shortcut opens on, as long as the program launched follows normal conventions for getting preferred window positions.

Without that, I've often experienced shortcuts simply starting their program on the monitor the icon was at, i.e. place the icon on your desktop and position it on the secondary monitor.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Someone liked C# and MVVM a whole lot and wanted to work with that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stop.
Do not show up to that place again and do not answer any calls, mails or anything from or about it. Remove any company email from your phone.

You don't have any sort of co-ownership of the company, you are not invested in it. Whether the company booms or burns is not your problem.

That boss is evil. Actually evil.
If you leaving will cause him and his company trouble, just better.

Obviously, don't sabotage anything, don't set up booby traps or time bombs. Just leave.

Leave now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Repeat: Finding and effectively using documentation is a strong and rare skill.
Nobody knows everything all the time. Everybody in a knowledge job needs to look things up all the time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DarkMoJo posted:

They don't believe in standardizing procedures
they want to now add accountability and metrics

Yeah no that can't really work. How do you measure something if everything is measured differently? You need standards before you can get meaningful metrics.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

crunk dork posted:

Ok I'm at my wits end trying to fix this and have tried every suggested fix I could find.

Has anyone ever run into "crystal reports print engine error 513"? All the stuff Microsoft suggests works for the first report this user prints and then starts throwing the error again. Printer is directly connected to PC via USB.

First thing I try with obscure software printer errors, that don't seem to be the fault of the printer, is use a PDF-writer printer driver, see if that produces sensible results.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One positive about those telemetry things and forced updates etc. in Windows 10 Home: Might keep cheapass business owners from buying lovely laptops with Home preinstalled.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

We generally use NetOp for remote control, but also have Dameware available.

Neither is amazing, but I do like Dameware's ability to remote install itself and just requires your domain account to have some appropriate access.

Neither works without the target being on the internal network, which can be a problem when you're trying to help someone get their VPN working. Supposedly NetOp can do that, but we don't have any configuration for it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Necronomicon posted:

So I'm in a weird situation here, and hoping some of you could provide some advice.

I'm relatively fresh out of grad school with a master's in Information Science. I got hired in June by a small software company in Boston that is currently transitioning from a startup into something a bit larger (currently we have around 40 employees, plans are to hit 90 by December 2016). We currently have no process whatsoever for setting up new hires with computers, and getting up and running with our software and required programs is outlined in a couple of wiki articles but not formalized at all. I've taken it upon myself to take over hardware provisioning, and I'd also like to have deployable images for OS X and Windows so new people can skip the trial and error process of getting set up. Is there an industry standard way of doing this? Creating an image from one master Mac is easy enough, but that approach can get really labor-intensive when you start to add more and more users.

Any advice? This is pretty much baby's first IT job outside of help desk work in college, but I landed in a weird, undefined spot due to my background (BA in English, MS in Info Science).

For Windows, you should be using MS Deployment Toolkit, or something based on it. The machines should obviously also be on a Windows Server domain so you can use Group Policy to manage the machines, and have a common user account database. For something more ambitious, look at the full MS System Center package.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Does anyone have the link to the free windows 10 download? I recall it posted in one of these threads.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Hey, are application developers allowed in this thread or is it haraam for me to come in here and start talking about my Spring middletier and how vexing our backend guys are some times. I can't seem to find a "working in software development" megathread and i pine for a sense of community.

If it helps once upon a time I was in best buy geek squad, that's basically IT right? :yayclod:

Coding Horrors thread

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've been offered to spend some work time on Microsoft Virtual Academy. Are there any good courses? I'm in helpdesk.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Back in the '90s I worked for a place called "Computer City" for about a week. Can't get much more '90s than that name. Oh, it wasn't a regular Computer City: it was a SUPERCENTER!

Computer City still exists over here. I'm guessing it is remains of the same chain/franchise, since the stores here were also called Supercenter. I think they dropped that since.

I think they used to have all kinds of cool stuff, but now it's just a boring home electronics retailer, and with a mostly poor selection.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Programming / dev: the perfect fitting toilet seat and an intuitive flusher

Maybe I should go back to software. "Sitting comfort" was my first thought, admittedly I was also reading that post while taking a dump on company time, on a toilet with a half broken seat.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

skipdogg posted:

There are several other big name Identity Lifecycle Management suites out there. CA, Oracle, Quest/Dell, and others. If you're a Microsoft shop MIM is probably the way to go (especially if that's a test question for a cert exam)

Just as a note, we have an Oracle IDM system at my place, and it's horrible. It might be the specific implementation, or the some of the integrations it has, but the loading times for pages are horrible. They range from 10 seconds to several minutes, depending on the specifics for a user. It also has no way to do mass changes apart from raw SQL. (Obviously very few have SQL access to the database, I'm not one of them.)
So yeah, nobody here likes it. At least they're trying to move some of the functions over to MIM.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

And I really wish it was possible to get 4:3 or 5:4 screens with resolutions that don't smell like 2002. Something like 2048x1536 maybe. I'd probably prefer 3 of those to 2 widescreens with similar total resolution.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Can you describe the flavor profile? I've had trouble finding rum I like sipping. One time I had some (started with a 'Z', large stylized 'Z' on the bottle, can't remember the name) and it basically tasted like alcoholic molasses and maple syrup in alcohol form. It was great stuff. I've tried Zaya since then and I can't seem to replicate the flavor. I don't know if it was a special or high end bottling unfortunately.

Probably Zacapa then.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Autocorrect with touch keyboards is not really comparable to hardware keyboards either way. On touch keyboards, you can measure how much you touched each letter, e.g. a touch may not just be classified as "it was F", but actually "50% F, 40% D, 10% R", and that can feed into a dictionary to find most likely words you intended to write. Hardware keyboards need a different kind of autocorrection if anything, something like what has been built into Word since version 6.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Is it a Linux-oriented company? Is so thats a good sign :colbert:

Only accepting the old, binary OLE compound document formats, and not the newer at-least-kinda-open ones, that's a good sign?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Again, this is done by every hospital in the country as a standardised procedure, and I can't see how you'd be able to do it better, since the requirement is to hand out an up to date file during the evacuation. The data has to be transported along with the patient and there is a slight bit of security through the second factor being in another location than the stick. Again, the sticks are locked up unless an evacuation happens.

How is this less secure than the data being on a server?

The normal, sane way to do this is live replication across an encrypted link to a remote location. Data is always stored securely in at least two sites so disaster can't (easily) take it out, and sensitive data is never on a removable media.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Danith posted:

Is there a SHSC slack or discord group set up? If not, there should be :c00lbutt:

Use IRC like a real nerd.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Diagnosing a problem accurately is also at least as important as being able to apply a solution.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No, you install a pneumatic tube system in the building, then have centrally placed printers that deliver jobs rolled up in tubes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

rafikki posted:

Jabber allows custom emotes.

But you have to manually install them on every client.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh yeah printer drivers doing weird poo poo... once in a while some users have their HP universal driver suddenly reconfigured to print a watermark across the page, reading literally "[NONE]". Which happens to be the text of the "do not print a watermark" in the watermark selection dropdown, except here it has been configured as a literal string to use. What software fucks that up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Bullshit. You aren't HR and fairly often, they are the gatekeepers. A degree will get your foot into places you wouldn't have access to otherwise. Pretending that isn't the case is being willfully blind.

Ratbert's point is that, as a hiring manager, a candidate having a CS degree is no proof that the candidate is actually able to write any program at all. Which is the source of the FizzBuzz interview tests that apparently offend some skilled people.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Guys, / is just a regular slash. It's the one you use to write fractions in-line, and to list alternatives if you aren't insane. Since / is the regular one, \ is the backwards one.

Very simple.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For us, the IDM system helps keep track of permissions and accounts required for different responsibilities, where multiple may be active at once, and may have some level of overlap. This allows us to set expiry date on a responsibility for an employee and have just the necessary permissions removed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sefal posted:

Where did I gently caress up? Did I not communicate cleary what the scripts purpose was? To ease their day to day tasks? How this is an improvement.
I did not expect that this would be an issue.
How do i convince them that this is an improvement?

Will the script have run and done the job for them every morning before they get in? If so maybe they will get the point after a week with nothing to do because it's already been done.

(They fear being automated away.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just got news that our biggest dependency on Java is going away. Time for celebration!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Public sector in communist Denmark: 25 days vacation + 37 extra hours (one standard week), with option to get the 6th week paid out instead. Unlimited paid sick leave, and both parents have a legal right to paid maternity/paternity leave. Hours above 37 weekly are banked and can be taken off later.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Super Slash posted:

Here's something I've been meaning to do; Employee on-boarding automation.

Now rather than getting into the guts of things I'm trying to envisage things from the user end first, what would someone need to do to get new staff up and running.
Run a program? Send a message? Fill out a form?

I get the principles for the back end of things making AD User/Mailbox/Folders etc, but how would Miss Jane the HR manager do this?

Fill out a form.

Either a web-based form, or do some poo poo with an Excel template. Office drones love Excel so they'll probably feel right at home with an Excel based horror. For that I'd suggest making a drop-box file share where the HR people have create-only access to, and you then have a script that moves all the files once a day to a separate work-to-do location. To get the full horror effect, the Excel sheet should have a button control hooked up to a macro that saves it to the magic share.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cthulhuite posted:

It might also be worth checking to see if your HR department use any sort of off-the-shelf system for employees, new hires, recruitment, etc. A lot of them will tie directly into AD/Exchange, so Miss Jane does exactly what she's always done when a new person starts except in the background it's creating that new person's poo poo on the fly.

Yeah for user creation, if you can tie it directly to the HR system that's the best way to go. Also guarantees that someone's accounts get disabled when they leave/get terminated.
Just make sure you still have a process for creating accounts for people who for some reason can't figure in the HR system.

There can still be the issue of setting up equipment, you may not know if a new hire takes over from someone else or needs special stuff just from their data in HR.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

We use a form in sharepoint. HR does their part, goes to the Hiring manager to request one of the approved equipment and software loads, everything gets created and the equipment goes to the desktop support manager to deploy or order. It turned what was a multi-day clusterfuck into something simple.

So you're saying SharePoint actually improved something? Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also, I used my only 7 license key already. I lost the one I got off of MSDNAA, so I used the one off my laptop. And the free upgrade period is over anyway.

Boot up from a Win 10 installer DVD or USB, start a fresh install, enter your Win 7 key when asked for one. You'll get a license, no questions asked.
Officially free upgrades are over, but actually they aren't.