Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I've been in my first IT job (tier 1 helpdesk) for almost a year. The company I work for doesn't really "believe" in full-time WFH, and I'm thinking about leaving for a place that does. I'm not unhappy here, but I would definitely be happier working remotely. I'm worried that only staying at this job for one year will look bad, though, and I feel like one year isn't a lot of experience to leverage on a resume. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

skipdogg posted:

No one will look twice at you moving on from an entry level IT job after a year.

A lot of the old resume/job advice we grew up hearing from our boomer parents isn't valid anymore. I had a boss once who looked at people who stayed in the same job for too long as a red flag. When he was let go as part of a merger he told me not to stick around too long. 4-5 years tops at a single job. I didn't listen.

Bonzo posted:

There are exceptions, but if you have been at a place 18 months and haven't promoted up or made any kind of move, look for something else. At 6 months in your manager should at least have some career and development plan for you. If they don't or its not what you wanted, leave. Chances are that's just an org that only cares about asses in seats.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice!

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I make $55k as tier 1 helpdesk/desktop support in NoVA. Is that low?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Depends on a bunch of stuff. How many years experience, certs, degrees, benefit package, a whole bunch of stuff.

I want to say it feels low, but if you have less than 2 years experience in IT, and are working for a decent company on W2 with a reasonable benefit package it's not terrible as someone's first/second IT job.

I wouldn't stick around for long though, get some good experience and job hop as soon as you can for more money.

I got hired out of vet hospital work with no experience/certs/degrees :anime: But I appreciate the input. My brief Indeed searches show positions that really only want people with 2+ years of experience if they don't have the other stuff so I might be here a while

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

ConnectWise.

We use this for remote support sessions, and while it does work fairly well most of the time, we've been having this super annoying issue lately where users are getting prompted for admin credentials when trying to launch the .exe to connect. And their support team basically just linked me to a FAQ page and told me to gently caress off, lol

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. CONTEST IS
OPEN TO RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AND
WORLDWIDE, EXCEPT FOR QUEBEC, CRIMEA, CUBA, IRAN, SYRIA, NORTH KOREA, and
SUDAN.

https://capturetheflag.withgoogle.com/rules1

Quebec are terrorists?

https://www.liveabout.com/why-are-so-many-competitions-void-in-quebec-896835

quote:

The reason why so many sweepstakes are void in Quebec is that the sponsors must follow a stringent set of laws set out by Quebec's Regie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ), which governs alcohol, lotteries, contests, gambling, and more.

Lots of places simply don't bother even running their stuff in Quebec because the law is a big PITA apparently

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I got fuckin owned today.

Coworker said "hey I'm gonna step out for a sec, I gave HP support your number, just answer if they call you" as my boss is walking over.
Before he is even out of his chair the phone rings and I just look at him like "no loving way" and he walks out and my boss says to me "oh is that HP? Quick! Answer it! Don't let them get away."

Cue me for the next 4 hours teaching some HP support dude in India how VMware host patching/upgrades work while my coworker is who the gently caress knows where.
Motherfucker called SUPPORT because he had no idea how to upgrade firmware or drivers on a host, and then somehow made it my problem without even so much as communicating to me that he just needed help patching some poo poo.

I also got owned by a coworker earlier this week, troubleshooting a laptop's connection to a Dell docking station. Before passing the ticket to me, my coworker said that he had already tested the dock independently and confirmed that it wasn't the issue. Cue me spending an hour and a half running a million and one updates/diagnostics on the laptop to figure it out with no luck, then spending another 1-2 hours the next day imaging a new laptop for the user since we concluded it was a laptop hardware problem. Then the new laptop ALSO doesn't work. Out of frustration I tried a new dock - worked immediately. :shepicide:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

This one's on you for trusting what a user said.

They can never be trusted.

Oh, it wasn't the user, it was my senior IT coworker who told me that the dock was fine. Like, he said he himself tested it

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

:negative:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I had a user email me asking for instructions on what to do next to get our remote session working. Included in the email was a screenshot of the instructions displayed prominently in the middle of the page. Users, man

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

So AAD is azure? And I need to download some poo poo to install it on my MacBook. And it installs policies on what I can’t and can’t do.

How isn’t this software you installed?

Apple users, folks

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Antioch posted:

Jaegerx over here trying to spell Microsoft with a dollar sign but can't find the symbol on his Dvorak layout Das Kayboard

lol :emptyquote:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

but also, his macbook probably doesnt have a USB port to plug the keyboard into

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I have a USB stick with installers on it that I use on a semi-regular basis because our app deployment via Chocolatey/MDT is kinda unreliable :shrug:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just signed the offer letter today. Leaving for another security engineering position that pays 20% more!

This is my 3rd job in 3 years though, getting tired of hopping around. But I've also increased my salary by like $80k a year, so.... I guess job hopping works.

Congrats man

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

I wish someone would name himself edge and just follow IE around posting “I’m better than you”

Be the change you want to see in the world

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

that's an I in explorer not an L

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

If he was smart enough to do that, he wouldn't have bought Twitter in the first place

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

TIL this is cspam

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

KillHour posted:

Had a first round interview with a company today and it went well (although they are offering on the lower end of what I would want), but then I got this and just :lol:

Let me guess, they don't intend to pay you for this work

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

KillHour posted:

It also just hit me that they're expecting me to pay for the cloud infrastructure I need to build and demo this thing. This is a full front to back sales engineering engagement and I'm not even interviewing for a SE role :psyduck:

what the gently caress lol

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Does anyone here have experience working with 'loaner' laptops? I do internal corporate IT and we have a handful that we give out to people to use for whatever reason. My boss wants some automated or semi-automated solutions for 1) wiping laptops between users and 2) physically tracking them out in the field (eg via GPS). Any suggestions? Apologies if I'm not explaining this well

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

If you really want to do this, you can check out Deep Freeze. https://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze

Just have some way of dealing with users who want to save data and not lose it.

Thank you. It's made very very clear to our users that these laptops are temporary and that any files they save to the drive WILL be lost. This warning, and other instructions for how to access our normal cloud services are literally set as the desktop background, and they don't login with their normal account, but rather with the laptop's 'loaner' account. I'll check out Deep Freeze. He doesn't want to image them (mainly because our deployment kinda sucks and it's time-consuming).

As for location tracking, I will relay to my boss that there may be legal issues with that to consider. Thanks all.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sickening posted:

The entire prospect of "imaging" just needs to die. Company owned devices should have MDM. The process to wipe/reset and assign new users should be more of the goal. Please for the love of GOD stop using MDT and use autopilot and intune instead.

We aren't talking about future technology, we are talking 2015 era solved problems.

As I'm barely through my first year at my first IT job, I think I will pass on relaying this to my bosses to tell them what they're doing sucks. Imaging via MDT is like, 40% of my job, lol

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Asteroid Alert posted:

Goons,

I started a few months ago at a smaller company where there was some client work to be done. However, the company hasn't been pulling new projects that much and this in turn makes me twiddle my thumbs. My active working hours are 1-2 hours a day. I also am unsure if the situation will change even though I did bring it up with my manager, that I have bandwith to take on more work.

I interviewed with a company lately and they are already pushing an offer. They're big, stock listed and have international renown. They need me to start very soon and seem like they're not flexible with this. They also failed to disclose where I'd be in the organization. I was expecting a manager position (as I had experience in a similar role for years), yet it seems like I'll be an expert. The job description was also very specific and required the hire to be highly skilled. I tried to discuss my concerns, but seems like they don't want to push my start & they didn't make their case for the role being in a lower rung on the ladder. The reason for a swift start is that they have some intern start in the same field and need someone to train them. Should this make me run for the hills?

I have a 3rd interview lined up, but not sure about that company. They're nice, but they're big and with the layoff boom going on, I'm not sure if that will be a long-term prospect.

So, what would make sense here?

I'm immediately suspicious of any company that tries to rush new hires into starting without giving them complete information. It's a red flag that they're hiding something bad about working there. Proceed with caution IMO

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Lol and I thought our MDT deployment was slow at 2-3 hours :pwn:

Goondolences

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I live in the DMV and the insane hassle that getting a security clearance appears to be has stopped me from applying to a lot of government IT jobs. I don't envy the people that have to do it

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Question for the thread: I do IT for a construction company. It is a recurring issue that setting up internet access at construction jobsites with traditional carriers takes too much time and coordination. My boss has asked me to investigate possible solutions for (ideally) portable, easy-to-use WiFi internet access that we can basically just drop at a jobsite and have it work. We've bounced off of Starlink because he (rightfully, IMO) does not like that there's no way to talk to a human before actually paying for it. Has anyone had to do this before? I have some leads, namely mobile virtual network operators, but I wanted to ask here too in case one of yall is an expert

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Awesome, thanks all

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

Sounds like a good time for him to get the easiest paycheck in the world

I wouldn't call living in Alabama easy

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Astronaut: Wait, it's a DNS problem?
Astronaut with gun: Always has been

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah my SIL had side effects from Paxlovid as well. Ymmv, proceed with caution

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

i am a moron posted:

Someone can take mine I’m embarrassed to be on that list and am in the process of doing an autoban over it

wow he actually did

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I am one of those people that doesn't call unresponsive users re: their tickets. My line of thinking is that they submitted the ticket because they have a problem that needs fixing. If they can't be bothered to read and reply to my emails attempting to help them fix their problem, I am not going to go out of my way to try to get a hold of them. I'm not their IT butler.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

It's not often you get an Apple user to freely admit that they have brain damage

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

i am a moron posted:

Two of my boys went through a phase where they just, like, pissed in trash cans all over the house and sometimes in a corner of their room. One of them will just go in the front yard, whip it out, and pee right in front of the whole neighborhood.

:wtc:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I had a vasectomy last July and every day I feel better and better about that decision

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah. I worked in animal welfare before I got my IT job and my quality of life has absolutely skyrocketed in the 16 months I've been doing this - from a much larger paycheck as well as less stress and fewer hours. It's less fulfilling, but fulfillment doesn't pay my rent, so

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Personally, I HATE audio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Let's kill two birds with one stone and just ask ChatGPT if we're all gonna die from climate change