Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Just to close out the conversation, I, too, went with the 8200. I like the design better than the Jabra and the price better than the Bose. I wish Plantronics made an XL version with bigger earcups and a larger headband, but the slight discomfort I feel wearing it on long calls is more than made up for by the convenience of being able to get up and move around while I'm on the phone.

Just remember, "the mic is always hot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Defenestrategy posted:

What I wonder is, why did the recruiter think that was a good route to take? At best nothing comes of it, except maybe one of the execs likes your candidates a bit more, and at worse you've hosed yourself, because anyone who liked the dude that got canned who has a say in recruitment is gonna dumpster any of your clients out of spite. In repentance the recruiters in question have been leaving breakfast in our kitchen for the last week.

Yeah this makes up for deliberately trying to ruin someone's life.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

My customers would rather listen to some Infosec guy trying to sell them whatever fancy wizzbang product/service that gets you 1% closer to stopping a 0-day than hiring folks internally to maintain what we already have in place.

Try a listicle. "Nine security procedures that could save your network!" "Five easy steps to help you avoid bankrupting GPNS fines!"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

I have an all hands meeting today. Its 2 hours of boring nonsense. Being that its my first one of this kind, I am noticing a trend of things that I find both infuriating and halarious.

1: Other departments are claiming successes in my teams projects. For example, the finance team claimed a major milestone success in the office365 client upgrade. Being that the entire project from conception to execution was ONLY done by my team I am loving confused. It also doesn't have anything to do with saving money.

This sounds like my old terrible boss. His title was Director of IT, which included IT, Helpdesk, Development, all computer-touching jobs were his purview. Yet he'd insert himself into other departments' meetings and speak up about projects like he was part of them at all (he wasn't). All he cared about was getting recognition from other people. Based on the stories you've told recently it doesn't surprise me that your company has collected and encouraged these kind of ladder-climbing politicians.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Fresh grads and otherwise first time IT/Dev people are notorious for their lack of confidence in the face of the dawning realization of how much there is to know and by a perverse need to compare themselves to 25-year veterans. Even those who aren't down on themselves are probably going to fold under the confident disdain of a senior colleague. I feel like the onus is almost entirely on the senior staff to foster an environment where the junior employees can gain their footing.

Alternatively you can be like amazon and only hire people who are cool with stepping into the Thunderdome on their first day. :black101:

Edit: I realize my comment isn't actually answering any questions. A frank discussion with the senior staff about how they're intimidating the kids might be in order.

Edit the second: I don't know I just feel like the answer to the question, "How do I talk to someone about..." is "Just talk to them." Chances are they're not even aware they're doing something wrong because nerds can't communicate as evidenced by the original question and my rambling response that required three edits it's two-thirty in the morning and I have insomnia okay?

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 1, 2019

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Remember you need to get your eyes checked.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tetramin posted:

Shorter commute(especially when you’re saving 10+ hours a week) would absolutely be enough to change jobs even if it comes up a bit short on salary.

I have a walking commute and it's the best thing ever. It's worth an enormous amount of money to me, to the point that I'd have a hard time putting any realistic dollar amount on it. Do not discount how much of your life you'll get back and how amazing that feels.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

:btroll: I need you to help me here.

Jesus loving christ. I am about to throw someone out of a god drat building.

Sometimes the best help you can give someone is to let them experience the consequences of their actions (or their lack of action), instead of bailing them out which is what I'm sure they're used to.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ratbert90 posted:

You said “One last time.” This means he’s done it in the past and I hope you have CYA emails from the boss saying “Do this thing.”

If not, this is on you friend.

No I still think it's on the boss for being a piece of poo poo. Yeah, it's smart to get things in writing because managers treat people like poo poo (and even people acting in good faith can forget things), but I don't think we should be blaming the victims for not yet having been ground down into bitter shells. Frankly, it's exhausting trying to protect yourself from a manager like that, especially if you like to actually accomplish tasks in your area of expertise, and it's no surprise that people forget or don't think of all the ways they can get hosed over once in a while.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The Iron Rose posted:

Company parties are fair game of course. I have been to exactly one corporate party not high on drugs and it sucked. We got $9 drink tickets we could only literally only use on the house wine. No thanks!

My last company did this at their annual party and had the audacity to call it an open bar.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

duck monster posted:

A previous job I was in I removed my boss's admin permissions after I discovered he was reading everyones emails on the exchange server (This was around the NT4 era, not sure if thats still possible). Caused big drama, but he accepted it after I told him I'd restore it only if he announced to to the company that he was reading all their emails.

I didnt want that job anyway and left a couple of months later

I love you.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vargatron posted:

Speaking of time off, I have to take two days of furlough next week but I added in PTO on Monday to give me a 5 day weekend. Sure losing the money sucks but it's better than losing my job I reckon.

Also does anybody else have the issue where they are in a large organization that uses Slack with a million channels? Somebody had a meltdown about users not using the appropriate channels but I don't know why we have 8 separate channels for COVID related topics but only one for incident discussion (but incident discussion is for global issues, not ticket discussion, which is located ???).

My company isn't that big, but it's got a lot of channels and they're terrible at naming them. Cutesey team name-based channels that don't describe the function or product at all (they just redid their internal tech support and the slack channel we're supposed to use doesn't have the word "tech" or "support" in it, I don't even remember what it's called and yes I know this is probably intentional).

We also have Slack police, which I'm sure come from people who are in every channel and have full notifications on. I've even been told to take topics that were in a thread into DMs, when those topics are things that other people might want to loving know.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

Less bad, but definitely weird.

My team lead sometimes puts up a zoom that people can join as they like, for conversation and general "be a little more like we're all in the same physical proximity" feeling. There's no obligation to join or to talk when you do, but it's there and it helps us feel like we're more of a team. It's a small thing, it can help, sometimes.

It's weird but the entire world is weird right now so it fits.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'm waiting for the cringey rename.
ChatForce.
SlackForce.
Salesforce Groups. (take THAT, microsoft!)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

skipdogg posted:

I love tech valuations. Slack worth almost 28 Billion lol. What a joke.

Some of the quotes I'm reading are even more of a joke.

quote:

“Slack has had massive success, but ultimately it was running into a brick wall, and that brick wall was Microsoft,” said Wedbush Securities analyst Dan Ives. “In terms of [attracting new enterprise clients], it was tougher and tougher going up against the 800 pound gorilla in Redmond.”

Yeah. $28 billion sale price, such a brick wall. I hate the expectation of perpetual, unfaltering growth in this culture. Yeah yeah, "that's capitalism." As I was saying.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Just what everyone wanted, work married to their stream of memes, overabundant pictures of friends kids, and old relatives screaming about switching to parler.

Thought you were talking about the existing state of Slack for a minute there.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

i am a moron posted:

I always find the "never take a counter" conversations interesting as someone who has both offered them and taken them and have seen someone in another field where interviewing and negotiating a new salary or leaving is a yearly occurrence because the labor is so short (contract research organization). I've been at the same place for a while, and when I started I was making 70k. I got a merit halfway through my first year to 75. Then I was promoted to a leadership position at the end of the first year and got bumped to 97k. The following year I ran our biggest/most profitable project ever and demanded I be compensated like one of the best in our company, with the understanding that if they didn't I was going to start looking. They sort of acquiesced and bumped me to 110k. Got another merit to 113k at some point. Our org was kind of falling apart at the seams at one point, so I started looking despite my job not being in jeopardy. Got an offer for an IC role at 135k and a 5k bonus. At that point I straight up turned in my two weeks assuming my company wouldn't even bother at that point. My company sent me an offer for 130k and five extra PTO days anyways so I stayed for the role. Got a 10k bonus that year. Got another merit to 135k anyways this spring.

So back of the napkin I've had 17k worth of merit raises, 22k for promotion, and 30k for using my leverage when I have it. I'm happily employed there and they are happy to employ me. Over the past ~3 years I've bonused out or given raises to four people. Not all of them are with the company still, but no one was fired for playing the game. I highly recommend it if you work for a place that isn't a hellhole, it's part of the game imo.

Usually the 'never take the counter offer' is the advice given in the context of someone who's fed up with their company's utter lack of interest in anything even approaching fair compensation. If the decision makers at a company have a history of actually attempting to keep people around, instead of a history of trying to gently caress people at every opportunity, I'm less likely to think, "if I take this counter offer, this is how they're going to gently caress me."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Oh man, we've got some Mandatory Fun scheduled in about a week, for the whole day. I'm not too hopeful that it will be anything remotely interesting given the restrictions, but who knows. Would rather have not had our teambuilding budget yanked and let us do something as a small group rather than several hundred people I never interact with though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Someone was looking to pump before pulling their golden parachute or angling for a promotion. Short term thinking is rewarded in the world of quarterly shareholder reports, but at least there was a happy ending this time.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Experiencing the result of multiple generations of a deliberately uneducated population.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

12 rats tied together posted:

The salary ranges they have on linkedin are insultingly low, especially for senior positions. I made more money 2 years into my career and it sounds like their app design is about as good as they would have gotten from me at this time as well.

I'm imagining the job postings could have been copy-pasted from Rogue Brewery or Penny Arcade with just the company name and basic ideology changed. Are you a RogueReal Murrican?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I guess it's easier to know which way the wind is blowing when it's hurling cars at you

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Defenestrategy posted:

Never run into this before, I have an intern who got arrested for an alleged burglary charge over xmas. My manager and now I, only found out via my managers frat who basically punted said intern out of the frat for it, we looked it up via the county jail scanner and yea it seems to be true. My manager has now informed HR and I suspect dudes gonna be let go over it. It's a real shame and I wouldn't have suspected it, they are intelligent, competent at following instructions, and perform their job well above any other interns I've dealt with. best. I Suspect they would have been given a full time position once they got their degree.

Anyway, what's the best way of dealing with such a matter? On one hand dudes not been convicted and he wasn't employed with us during the time of the crime, on the other hand as 'IT' professionals there's a certain duty to keep your equipment secure? Is it just report the dude to HR and hope for the best? Just let it go its not your business and they haven't been convicted?

loving toss this to Legal/HR and do exactly what they tell you to do with it.

Edit: If you're asking what to do if you find something like this out in the future? My advice would vary wildly based on the circumstances. First and foremost your company does not own you no matter what they'd have you believe so reporting someone to a business for something they did while not associated with the business isn't your obligation. I'd like to say I'd lean on innocent until proven guilty, but with something like burglary, a very small step away from home invasion where human lives are threatened, I might weigh if I'd feel safe working in the same building as such a person.

Your company's equipment though? He didn't do anything to it, he didn't say anything about it, and you presumably have locks on the doors and cabinets where it's all kept, it should not be a factor in your decision making.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 16, 2021

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Defenestrategy posted:

The original issue is he hasn't been convicted yet, and if I had to make a guess he's probably getting his papers once HR reads the email my manager sent them. If this was a case of dudes been rendered guilty of burglary while employed, it'd be a fair bit more cut and dry. :shrug: I think the messed up thing is that if it was one of the lazy annoying interns, I don't think I would care as much.

Bing bong so simple. A good thing we live in a world in which the company is everything and things like values, ethics, and professional responsibility don't need or have to be balanced. Good thing I'm not a manager or else I'd be crap at it.

I didn't fully process the whole message before I replied (I do that sometimes), I thought it was "HR knows, what should I do about this?" My post has been edited with a bit more nuance.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Umbreon posted:

Well, that crazy set of interviews with Oracle went way better than expected, and my unique condition that makes me extremely hard to hire ironically turned out to make me a perfect fit for their equally unique scheduling issues. I start on the 25th.

50% increase in pay for what seems to be roughly similar work to what I do now, but with way more that can go wrong. Little terrified as I've never made this much money in my life and this job feels too good to be true. I hope I can keep up. :ohdear:

Big congrats! If I may give you a tip about mentally dealing with such big difference in pay: you aren't being overpaid now, you were being underpaid before. Just keep telling yourself that (because it's true) and the impostor syndrome will diminish.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Sorry you work for a lovely company.

Sounds like it's one lovely manager being lovely to a manager that actually tried to clear a roadblock for a worker in a way that was convenient for the worker, which in my experience means angry armadillo works for an above-average company.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I would accept, dare I say welcome, a written interview, IFF it replaced an in person interview of some kind. So basically I'm saying I'll never accept a written interview.

Also, "standard aptitude and personality assessment" get hosed.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

:aloom:

My sweet summer child.

Yeah, it varies depending on the state but I think most states DON'T require it. I know that my state just has "you will have a written policy about PTO, and you will apply it equally to all employees" but nothing more than that. So some companies are like "we'll pay out", some are "we'll pay out some percentage" and some are "lol, just gonna change this liability to 0 in our books, don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm one week away from starting my new job that I already signed an offer letter for.

Current place is now saying they'll match the offer, throw in a 10% bonus if I stay one year, give me an extra week of vacation each year AND create a whole new position for me if I stay.

Honestly not sure what to do now. This old place is a poo poo show but the work life balance is second to none and I'd get 3 months paternity for when my wife and I have our 2nd kid next year. I'd also be at 6 weeks of PTO a year which would be awesome.

I wouldn't expect anything about the culture or situation at the current company to change, and unless the ONLY reason you're leaving is compensation, that includes whatever it was that made you start looking in the first place. General advice is to not accept a counter offer, but if you decide to then I'd make drat sure the bonus agreement includes language that says you only have to pay it back if you decide to quit on your own, not if they get rid of you (after 3 months because they just wanted time to find a replacement).

All those extra perks seem like panic to me though, as Wilba suggested.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BaseballPCHiker posted:

:yotj:

Oh yeah. Got it in writing just now. Also finagled an annual 6% bonus on top of the one year retention bonus!

I wouldve never guessed opportunities like this would be available to me as a dumb 20 year old help desk guy that just knew about computers so he could setup LAN parties.

Good for you, man. I tend to be cynical about this sort of thing which is why I advised against, but I totally understand. Here's hoping the company was dealing with you in good faith, because if so all that extra feels pretty good.

I think you'll find that most places are a shitshow in some form or another, it just depends on what genre you're most tolerant of, if you will. If the people you're working directly with are good, it's a lot easier to not care about stupid decisions the executives make.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

i am a moron posted:

some of you work at the worst places. this is like a gently caress you bonus, why even bother with this

My first boss gave me a $10 starbucks gift card for christmas. In a burst of restraint I'm still proud of, I managed not to throw it at him.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

On call is funny because how does the conversation go when someone calls the number at 3am and the person is asleep? If they don't wake up, what then? How can am employer defeat "i didn't hear the phone call". Especially if they don't even supply the phone. If you don't have a 24 hour staff, your on call is an illusion.

What's happened over my career is that the pagerduty escalation path proceeds until it hits a manager, who collectively seem to live entirely for the sake of the company. They eventually track down someone who knows how to restart whatever doohickey is misbehaving, that gets done, everything is fine again until morning, and then the manager lectures the whole team about responding to on call. Nobody installs or configures pagerduty properly, who hadn't already done it. Repeat until the outages get frequent enough that they actually let people start fixing some of the causes.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

xzzy posted:

Worst part of going back to work tomorrow is all the busybodies that want to hit the ground running. Let's have a big exciting year! Let's get some poo poo done! Let's plan big stuff!

No gently caress that, just keep the pace we had going two months ago. Life was fine.

The leadership at the startup I'm at is 100% going to beat this drum. They also like including the other side of the alleged motivational strategy by pointing out the sword of Damocles hanging over our heads if we don't do enough.

They can panic all they like, I'll be building things at a reasonable pace same as always.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

tehinternet posted:

I just messed around with SQL for a project for the first time and it seems intuitive as hell. I have a natural distrust of that feeling and assume that that will only make it easier to gently caress something up.

Y’all have any advice or pitfalls to avoid for someone new to it?

Every company I've worked for has been too generous with the permissions for the production database. As such, my advice is to set up your tools so that it is ABSOLUTELY CLEAR when you're going to be running queries in production. My preferred method is to use the ability that most tools have to color-code your query windows based on the connection they're using. I suggest the most glaringly bright color you can perceive for anything prod.

This is especially important because the connection browser is often disconnected from the query window (meaning you can open a query window for production, then go over to the connection pane and highlight a non-prod connection, and your query window will still be running queries in prod).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

tokin opposition posted:

Cried in my office today, starting to think that I don't like this job. Took Monday off and my plan is to do as many applications as possible.

I dealt with an abusive boss (make no mistake, this is what you're dealing with) for far too long, and the day I handed in my notice my mood improved so dramatically it was like a light switch. I did this before I had another job lined up - I wouldn't recommend that on general principles because not having an income and watching your savings dwindle is a layer of stress on top of that of job hunting. But it was better for me than the alternative.

It may help if you actively disengage from your current job - I mean stop caring about meeting any expectations your boss may have (since they aren't achievable anyway). That combined with actively job hunting will hopefully improve your mood, because you're taking steps to get out of your situation, rather than just sitting there feeling trapped. I feel like that was my biggest mistake when I was going through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Are you a single-site organization?

If so, I broadly agree with you based on my memories of when all my coworkers were in the same building with me. Once my team included people spread over a few hundred miles, I jumped right to "it doesn't matter where anyone is located, we communicate online."

This is a big deal. When my last company started turning the screws to get people to come back to the office, my team had become distributed across five different geographically disconnected cities, for eight people (we had one "main" office with half of us, the rest scattered). You don't get "more collaboration" if you force that dynamic back into offices. You get either people having fewer face-to-face discussions because the people in offices don't want to disrupt the people around them, or you get "the office people" collaborating with each other and the others either working together or just in silos.

I'm sure you can build a team where that hybrid structure is very "collaborative." But man, when all you have to work with is a big open boiler room made out of concrete that bounces every whisper into your ear holes, it's pretty loving difficult.