Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

I do struggle with what I want the next steps in my career to be. Thinking 1,3 and 5 years out. I really love doing technical sysadmin work but I also don't really want to be in my 40's or 50's and still carrying the metaphorical pager. Even with a fairly deep rotation and stable-ish environment, being on-call blows. I don't want to do it forever. But neither do I want to go into pure management and stop getting my hands dirty, at least in the near to middle term. I need to identify the mythical "sysadmin that isn't on call" role.

Whenever I move from here I am hoping to work for a VAR doing technical pre-sales crap, and post-sale implementation. Hand over the keys and walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dark Helmut posted:

I don't want to bore you all with recruiter talk, but I do think it's important for you all to tell the difference between good recruiters and the mercenaries out there.

What area are you located in, if you don't mind sharing?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dark Helmut posted:

Central VA, and although I work with a medium-sized agency with a national footprint, 90% of my business is local. Shoot me a PM if you like.

Not currently looking, but will keep you in mind when the time comes. Thanks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Inspector_666 posted:

If it involved re-racking everything I would totally do it. I like racking stuff.

As long as it's an actual rack and not just two rails in a closet.

I get to do this to a server room sometime soon. Finishing virtualizng a few of the physicals remaining in there and I can get two racks down to one!

Bonus points for getting rid of these old lovely racks and throwing in some tripplite racks with cable management.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sepist posted:

I have like 30 credits at a state school, one recruiter said that should be on my resume but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Yeah I wouldn't bother even listing that. If anything people would think that you tried and gave up/couldn't play well in structured environment/whatever.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sepist posted:

Also I already have a sweet bed :colbert:

Time for that beach house in the Hamptons...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone work with any document imaging products? Square 9, iDatix, FileBound...

Holy hell, I need a new job :smithicide:

Avoid this at all costs.

http://www.imagemaster.org/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I am also salaried and accrue either overtime pay or extra time off. Both at 1.5x

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm old enough to remember the last time a "smart" watch tried to gain market share...

Can we bring these back in style?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

It's a huge red flag and you should be looking for a new job ASAP. If your next potential employer asks why you left a job so quickly, just tell them they had you mowing the lawn. I'm sure they'll understand.

Just flat out refuse. It isn't in your job description. Dear lord.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

psydude posted:

If it's a job you actually want, just take the day off and make up an excuse if anyone asks.

Personal time.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

I'm just gonna keep responding with Zabbix for graphing / monitoring combo :v:

I have been using Opsview Core for a few years now and it has worked great. They decided to stop updating core, and the only free version they offer now limits you to 25 hosts.

I have a base install of Zabbix going, just need to move all my poo poo over to it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

It was mentioned a few posts up, but you could do a lot worse than Confluence. $10 a month for 10 users in the cloud, or $10 a year for 10 users on-prem. If you haven't used it before and just want to try it out, I would strongly suggest the cloud option if that is acceptable.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/pricing?tab=host-in-the-cloud

We use Confluence for internal documentation. It works well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I signed up about 2 weeks ago, have not had a chance to check it out yet though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

There's a mobile app so I might go crazy and make my commute productive.

No you wont.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DigitalMocking posted:

Automatic firmware updates wiped switch configurations.
Automatic firmware updates that were turned off got applied anyway.
Switch lockups after firmware update.
Had to RMA three MX switches after downgrade bricked them.
Disconnects and reboots along the way with the APs
Beta firmware being applied when we weren't in the Beta program.
Huge and constant problems with 802.x
Lack of support for CDP/eigrp et al after the purchase bothered me, but that wasn't really their problem, its not hard to re-write your OS.

Lets not forget that at one point in time, if you stopped paying for the wireless configurator cloud thing, you couldn't make any changes to the APs that you owned.

I'm not a fan of Meraki in any way, shape or form.

I took over a Meraki setup a few years ago (access switches, access points and firewalls for VPNs) and have had 0 of these problems. I am running about 30 switchs, 50 APs and 10 or so firewalls (Z1 through MX80).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bigass Moth posted:

Never had a single problem with meraki and managed dozens of customers at my last job. Beyond a certain enterprise level I wouldn't use their switches or firewalls due to relative lack of configuration options, but for smb use they have been super easy to maintain and manage.

Yeah, I have found them to be "too simple" some times, but I don't think that will be an issue in the SMB market. But for basic stuff (access layer, wireless, vpn) they have been great.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dark Helmut posted:

Typically you are able to mitigate the risk by having actual marketable skills.

This. I have never had any of those problems.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ratbert90 posted:

To put this in perspective; Somalia offers 14 weeks of mandatory minimum allotment of Maternity leave.
We are worse than Somalia.

Move to Somolia and let us know how it works out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ratbert90 posted:

I think you missed the point.

No I didn't. As said above, those requirements are minimums. If your job treats you like poo poo, find a new one. If you don't have a skillset where you are wanted for jobs, get a new skillset.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ratbert90 posted:

Well gee, now that you have fixed all of the labor problems ever in America we can move on to new things!

I'm glad you see my point.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

NippleFloss posted:

While I don't look forward to it for personal reasons, it's going to be pretty hilarious when the tech bubble tanks and suddenly all of the "why don't these guys just get MARKETABLE SKILLS!?" tech worker ubermensch find themselves competing with the rest of the plebes for jobs as baristas or retail managers for which they feel vastly overqualified because no one wants to pay them six figures anymore to install windows patches or check whether a database is up, or all of the other vastly overpaid tedium that earns way too much money and will be automated away.

There's no guarantee that your marketable skill now will be marketable ten years from now. If you got a job as a petroleum engineer because it was lucrative you're quite possibly looking at unemployment right now because oil is cheap as hell. If you joined the masses getting law degrees 20 years ago to make bank you might very well be making less than you did when you were waiting tables. Taxi driver? Hope uber doesn't exist in your city or you're about to take a massive pay cut to work as a contractor. College Professor? You probably won't get tenure, but if you're lucky you *might* remain employed part time.

Of course, if your earning potential suddenly takes a nose dive you can always acquire some new marketable skills in between the time spend working two jobs to try to come close to what you were making before so that you don't have to move your kids out of their house. I mean, it's how hard can it be to make money, everyone makes so much of it!?

Trying to stay ahead of the curve is the best you can do currently, unless you wanted switch out of IT.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mayodreams posted:

And I just found out our level one help desk guys are logging directly into DCs to do AD management. loving seriously.

mayodreams posted:

Oh right. I totally read that wrong. The Struggle is Real today. I am demoting unused Domain Controllers to find that someone installed Chrome on them, most likely to bypass the IE security. welp.

Our "senior" AD guy does that. Didn't know what RSAT was. After showing him, he still does it that way.

I also found adobe reader 9 installed on all the DCs.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
You guys have separate elevated accounts? Everyone in the IT department here gets added to the Domain Admin group on day one.....

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

I have and I still separate them. It just makes sense to do so.

I agree with you here, was just showing how unique my environment is.

Gotta love tier 1 folks getting in over their heads because of this.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Literally on day one, new guy coming in to answer the phone can do whatever the gently caress he wants.

They all think I am nuts for making new security groups and granting access based on those. Also using service accounts is some sort of voodoo that they don't believe in.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

I do like it random stuff breaks because entire systems were run off the personal ad account of an ex employee. At my first sysadmin job, accounts weren't disabled and the passwords weren't changed from fear of what they might break.

After our last sysadmin/network guy left, I disabled his account. About 12 different things broke. Also discovered he had some apple cert generated for MDM with his direct work email. Every time that needs to be renewed (until I replace it), I have to add that address to my account.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sym posted:

This is my hell. Three years trying to get separate accounts for Domain Admin at the very least. I have additional credentials to the Enterprise Admin account and until this day I thought that it was the only account with that permission but just checked and saw 2 of my co-workers regular accounts in the group.

At least with the service accounts I've been able to add them to any of the systems I'm looking after and maintaining.

Yeah, all the stuff I manage run off service accounts and permissions are granted to specific security groups. Anytime I come across something that isn't mine that is setup dumb, I let them know they should fix it. Slowly but surely things are getting better.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LochNessMonster posted:

Seconded. Not a desk from someone who works in IT.

Just because you are a slob and cover your desk in anime figurines, doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

there IS a middle ground, you know

Yeah, and to each their own. I prefer a more minimalist look, some people want posters and other things displayed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

again, there's a middle ground between posters and anime vs a serial killer empty desk. At the very least I'd expect some stationary, maybe a few sticky notes, a coffee mug or water bottle, like jesus man it's not rocket science

Stationary? Computer.
Sticky Notes? Computer.

There is a coaster for a drink.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Hey, whatever floats your boat. Calm Down seems to be getting a little sensitive about his slob lifestyle.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol you must be a millenial

Yeah, and you are 40 and living in your mom's basement?

Edit: This is pointless. Some people like an empty desk, some people like stuff on their desk. It's a personal preference. Sorry for the derail.

Moey fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 14, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

go3 posted:

dual U2412m for my guys at work because 16:10 is God's Own Resolution

16:10 is an aspect ration, not a resolution. But yes, it is the best.

At work I am running a 25" 2560x1440 monitor, with my 13" 1920x1080 laptop on the side.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dark Helmut posted:

I won't sit here and tell you NOT to send as PDF, but I'm going to parrot the same ol' line: Build a relationship with a recruiter (or three) that you trust.

What area are you recruiting in again?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

You are a monster.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

THE ENTIRE WORLD IS GOING TO DIE hype patches.

Maybe they don't see it that way.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm That rear end in a top hat with the MacBook Pro Retina running at 1:1 resolution today.

Whats the point of all them pixels if you ain't using em?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Coredump posted:

I have a retarded question about Windows Deployment Services. Is this the best thread to ask in?

You should be able to get help here, or maybe the Windows thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327309

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Hmm I thought you guys were using shared storage. Everything looks like it is running locally on your hosts with no clustering or shared storage...

:v: It's right there!

:negative:

Also the gross OM1/OM2 fiber hanging there.....