Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

Why would you take your headset off to take a poo poo? As far as anyone in VR knows you just moved to another chair.

:lol::lmao: forgetting your self view camera is on and AI scaling your grunt-face onto the avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
at various points of being completely fed up with my IT career, I've drove for Lyft/Uber. Its not really a full-time job, even if people do it full-time, but if I got paid the same I would go do that instead of what I do now (collaboration solution architect :byoscience:)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Personally I dont see this particular round of layoffs as indicative of the actual economy, I see it as opportunistic executives cutting costs to improve their own bonuses. That said, Cisco just spent 600m to fire a bunch of former Broadsoft and Webex BD types. Thats way bigger than executive bonuses.

w/r/t cloudchat - not to date myself, but I see this particular point in time as similar to virtual machines. Once everyone had virtualized the low hanging fruit they thought it would sorta be over, but five years after that HR people were submitting web forms to get their own VM. Regardless of :airquote: citizen developers :airquote: all of that work will come down to IT people :haibrow:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

I've seriously been considering asking my company if I can work from Japan and still receive pay in USD if I maintain residency here.

You're working US time, getting paid in US bux, maintaining US residency...

IMO its easier to ask forgiveness than permission here :getin:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

George H.W. oval office posted:

Always Be sCammin'

Scammin' is of course the mindset of doing the bare minimum and getting ahead. You're not actually scamming anyone, just playing the game.

Other instances of the scammin' mindset

Long shits at the office
"Quiet quitting" but still getting promoted
"Working" but actually you're just playing WoW or on a road trip.
Multiple jobs

Congrats! You're scammin'

:haibrower:

More importantly - if your job wont let you do this, for whatever reason, just quit! Hit da bricks! There's tons of other jobs out there that will 100% worship you while allowing you to gently caress around on the forums all day

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

LochNessMonster posted:

I wish I hadn’t done this setup in the wild

I was young and I needed the money!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Before the pandemic and remote work I spent 200+ days in hotels. I miss that life.

:haibrow: Used to fly 50k miles a year to do pre-sales poo poo in Manhattan. COVID hit, and then I didn't fly for three years :sigh:

Probably the extreme outer edge of the IT job thread, but anyone know anything about the new Growth Sales Architect role at Cisco? Seems like they're trying to make an SE carry a bag, which makes me :stare::stare::stare:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

i am a moron posted:

I personally would not want to land at Cisco needing to be hungry and experienced in software sales. There are a lot of Cisco products that are embarrassing and impossible to defend.

:hai: I'm past the 20 year mark in Voip/Collab (not something I really see mentioned itt / the forums) and I fundamentally know that MS Teams is destroying Webex right now. Webex is actually the superior product (esp. after the broadsoft acquisition) but with MS's monopoly of the desktop/workspace tools... it is what it is :shrug:

Being the (idiotic) optimist that I am, it could be a way to shift into another technology discipline. Working in VOIP has felt like being a typewriter technician the last few years.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

kung fu jive posted:

Hello there! 14 years in collab/voip here. I'm using Teams and associated MS environments provided by my employer to learn Azure and Powershell. I already know Python (not exactly relevant but writing code is generally valuable). At some point I hope to transition to cloud something. My employer is great about lateral movements across teams. I just have to prove I can handle senior level poo poo somehow. I think there are a lot of directions to go from traditional on-prem collab if you're willing.

:wave: agreed that there are several directions to go. A million years ago I got my start with Interactive Intelligence and programming call center stuff (my mentor and I built a multi-tenant cloud hosted PBX... in 2001 :dogstare:) and when I was an IT manager fifteenish years ago I did a massive lift reprogramming a CRM to use SQL correctly... so as to say I understand programming concepts pretty well but I dont really know any particular useful language and am certainly not conversational about any of my technical abilities :sigh:

i am a moron posted:

I was thinking of ISE, Cloud Center (rest in piss motherfucker), ACI, that kind of thing. I’m sure people are buying it in places but I work at a Cisco partner (if anyone is keeping score, yes my company partners with everyone) and our network people are very ehhh when these sorts of Cisco products are brought up.

:hmmyes: I understand conceptually what some of those things are, but I literally know nothing about products or features in any other discipline.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

My god is there any group of people more technologically helpless than salespeople? They call our line because we’re the only ones who are 24/7 and it does not matter how many times I explain we only offer tech support for the actual product.

I’m sorry you’re having problems with docusign, have you tried contacting docusign? No I don’t know other ways we can get the info in the system. You have to call back tomorrow.

Literally every issue they have is apparently one the entire sale rides on too so you basically always have to talk them down too

categorically sales people are the dumbest users on the planet. you have to be sorta dumb to pick yourself up and throw yourself at the (sales) wall, over and over and over. Then, because they're dumb, once they figure out how to not throw themselves at the wall so hard, they think they invented gravity and are even dumber. I worked with a video conferencing sales person who couldn't loving spell video conferencing.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Oh I do still like UCS. The blade server stuff is pretty dang robust and if you set it up right you have to do something exceptionally dumb to drop production. It is expensive though and you should always buy 3rd party memory. We saved like 3mm just from buying a bunch of samsung memory with the same part number and putting it in ourselves.

:haibrow: I did a big UCS deployment for a hospital a long time ago, and a very legit part of the cost was the memory. Cisco plays games with their hardware promotions so we ended up figuring something out to keep the PO 100% Cisco, but yeah. Also a UCS was the most costly mistake of my career - I missed a 40k redundant brocade switch in a customer config :doh:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, I have to support all our Cisco video systems, and moving away from Webex to Teams is just painful on those. I know there is a huge push from Cisco to get all the systems Teams native at some point, but I haven't really been keeping up on it. Just dialing a goddamn number was so easy, it just worked. Now its email invites, and people figuring out how to add a location. I know there is better integration coming, but I can't get the Teams group to look at their stuff.

:lol::lmao: this particular specific integration was my life for five years as a collab SE.(Technically SfB and then Teams) Teams is loving awful as a video platform - a huge chunk of that being MS mandating that every MS Teams device run a version of Windows :dafuq:
w/r/t better integration - the latest versions of RoomOS will let the video codecs register natively into Teams, and use the Teams UI. Cisco likes to make it seem like updating the codecs is super easy, but it generally fucks up any AV or room control integration (i.e. Crestron) so buyer beware. :lol: I was just reminded of a time where a Fortune 100 beverage company had their video codecs registered to Webex cloud (so they couldn't control the codec firmware, it was automatically updated by Webex) and it unknowingly hosed up the integration with the mic function lights. Ergo, a bigwig thought the line was muted when he said sideways to his assistant "this guy is a real rear end in a top hat" but the rear end in a top hat on the other line heard him :pusheen: IIRC legal fireworks to Cisco ensued but I dont know what the outcome was

kung fu jive posted:

Hello there! 14 years in collab/voip here. I'm using Teams and associated MS environments provided by my employer to learn Azure and Powershell. I already know Python (not exactly relevant but writing code is generally valuable). At some point I hope to transition to cloud something. My employer is great about lateral movements across teams. I just have to prove I can handle senior level poo poo somehow. I think there are a lot of directions to go from traditional on-prem collab if you're willing.

:hfive: circling back to this - I have a shitload of MS Teams / Voice experience; however I'm a goon so because it was never my specific title, I thought my experience didn't count :goonsay: Specifically I set up a MS Teams voice Direct Routing PoC for a cloud migration I did three-ish years ago, plus in the SE space all I've talked about for the last 3 years is moving Fed customers from on-prem CUCM to MS Teams, with a lot of wrench-turning involved in demos and migrations. I still dont think I know what I'm doing, but I don't think I know what I'm doing in CUCM either haha. I updated my resume and sent it out and got a lot of positive feedback (and maybe a job) :toot:

Hughmoris posted:

For cleared work, Clearance Jobs is all you need. I'd listen to the FSO. Any company and recruiter that works in the realm knows CJ is the place to go to look for talent.

as a part of this - how many of you have certs to meet the DoD Baseline 8570? I've never done a security thing in my life, but its mandated for seemingly any DoD role now. Passing Security+ (or CCNA Security) to do VOIP stuff is a hassle.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

I think you may have misinterpreted something, every Teams hardware device I've encountered so far is running Android.

I have no doubt some of the conference room gear might be a full Windows instance but the desktop stuff is almost always Android as are at least some of the conference devices.

SlowBloke posted:

Just as a FYI, teams rooms now also run on android but it's not as feature complete as windows. Every android room i’ve seen is in the form of a video bar, no modular ones.

Maybe on the desktop stuff; IIRC MS teams device certification is more a title that manufacturers purchase than a standard they pass. Also IIRC things like Logitech/HP(Poly/Com)/Neat bars are running a windows IoT kernal on the android hardware. When MS Teams first launched, well before Teams Voice, Poly(Com) were the first to market with :airquote: Teams Certified Devices :airquote: because they figured out a butchered way to run Windows on their Room 500/700 systems. It made it expensive to even interwork with MS Teams, because things like Cisco Meeting Server and Pexip needed a windows license for every instance. The OG Surface Hub notoriously ran a lovely locked down version of Windows that you couldn't update/couldn't join to the domain or it wouldn't work, so for a while the MS rep was sending out new SSDs and Bitlocker instructions :dafuq:

EDIT

Looks like they ported everything to Android directly Honestly I haven't touched the conference room stuff in a few years; I talked to a buddy at my old job in Manhattan and they were ripping out 50k integrated rooms for 2k Teams bars and I tuned out

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 23, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

It's certainly an upgrade from "we'll build random poo poo and hope it's useful to someone".

:lol: IT in the early/mid 00s was wild

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

I don’t mind it. 150 person office and there are like a dozen of us there. Those 4 days a week the entire 5 man IT team is there and we end up bullshitting for 1-2 hours. I also live less than 2 miles away.

I was also paid a premium when hired because I was ok being on site.

:haibrow: the only time I didn't mind coming into work was when I lived a mile away on city streets and I had my own office. One year it snowed in Portland and I could've actually skied to work.

:lol: at the recruiters trying to get me to go into an office for a MS Teams job. :allears: what would I be working on in the office, specifically? :allears:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

...as in a job just for managing Teams?????? did not realize that was a thing but of course it would be

I should clarify and say MS Teams Voice, and its a long-term contract migrating someone away from an ancient Nortel/Avaya environment.

They still want someone on site 5 days a week, AND they're looking for candidates to relocate, which is simply :lol::lmao: Imaging moving to go into an office in TYOOL 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
:lol::lmao: at owning property in my hometown in the Bay Area - I've been hit by the dot-com crash, the 08 crash, and have been averaging 50% unemployed for the last four years.

Otoh, Starlink is loving banging, virtual backgrounds for video calls are both good & ubiquitous, and there are still 100% remote jobs out there. It may be homestead/#vanlife/liveaboard time

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

cheaper than a house that can be totaled by an uninsured driver :stare:

NGL Starlink has me seriously considering some sort of off-grid property in the Dakotas. They could use another liberal vote, I don't mind the weather, and if the job is truly 100% remote then I can GTFO at least 3 months a year as to avoid Fimbulwinter

but if I'm going to drive 3-4 hours to an airport, I could go live in the very fringes of California and still live in a state that (generally) supports human rights :shrug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

i am a moron posted:

I just don’t care anymore. I need to move to sales and just spend my days golfing and drinking and running up my expenses

:haibrow: I'm staring :airquote: retirement :airquote: in the face. Simply put, there is no amount of money that will get me to do SE work again.

so I either go back into the field, or go into sales proper. Wrench turning work is cathartic, and the pay can be pretty good, but companies worship sales people.

i am a moron posted:

For better or worse consulting sometimes is explaining the same thing over and over to people. The worst orgs have the exact same tendencies and running projects with them is like shooting fish in a barrel. My favorite client ever hated consultants and I went from a solo six week project to a 2 1/2 year reputation defining deal there. They challenged me and I challenged them. Most of our clients are mouth breathing idiots and that’s why they had to ask us wtf to do in the first place. It’s gotten really hollow at this point

:same: this is the part that kills me about SE work - all of our customers are undergoing the same challenges, because they're all using the same poo poo, because WE loving sold it to them. Even top-flight AMs and Sales VPs are like "ok, what are we gonna do to take down this big sale (that is literally loving identical to the last big sale we took down)"
"... do the same thing?"
thrown-out-conference-window.meme.jpg

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 8, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

That’s correct. After doing IT for over thirty years the hardest part of the overemployed thing is finding two compatible jobs and carefully managing my calendars. This especially includes non-compete clauses and multiple employer provisions.

Calendar collisions can be tricky but I have absolutely come to realize how many meetings I have in which I don’t contribute anything at all.

And company loyalty? gently caress that. I am grabbing all the cash i can as hard as I can.

:haibrower:

I sat down and ran the numbers, and while I could join the Dark Side and go into sales (AMs with legit tech backgrounds print money, because they dont have to lie.)

but OE money is more consistent, there's no moving sales goalposts, and while you don't get all the dumb salesperson perks... figuring out how to be an enterprise AM, finding a job that pays commission fairly, and then getting into an established client base is 3-4 years minimum. I wanna be quasi-retired living on a boat by then, which is also significantly easier to do with real IT jobs

now I'm just staring down the barrel of picking up a graveyard shift :shepicide:

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I had the opposite. I live a stones through from NYC and I couldn't get any traction on an in person job. I was looking for something hybrid, but all I could find is remote stuff.

wanna trade? I've been trying to gtfo of San Diego and back to NYC for a while, but literally nobody takes me seriously. The job market here loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

thats interesting because I've always heard that Canadian Border guards are much bigger and stricter assholes than the US ones which strikes you because its the opposite of what you'd expect

This was my experience as well. One time work had me go out to upstate NY around Labor Day, so I took the weekend off and drove to Niagra Falls and up to Toronto. No line, nice weather, and the border guard was the unfriendliest Canadian I ever met :shrug:

Coming back I think the US border guards saw my passport on the dash and waved me through without stopping :dafuq:

also :lol: I drove with my brother when he moved to Alaska. At the border station there by Vancouver they ask if you've ever been arrested. Neither of us have, but my dipshit brother goes "oh yeah I was arrested for mailbox baseball when I was 15". :doh:
(he wasn't arrested, he got picked up for mailbox baseball and ended up doing community service) Meanwhile, all the Canadian border patrol start to give me the hard eye, thinking I lied about not having a criminal record. They must've spent 45 minutes digging through every possible database looking for my brother's :airquote: record :airquote: when one of the guys asks "hey, were you a minor when this happened?" "uh, yes?" "okyourefreetogodontstopuntilyougettoAlaska" and basically shoved us out the door.

EDIT

for context - if Storm-558 is anything like other hackers, they probably didnt know what they had for a while. Assuming they dont go to terrorist jail forever, I'd be really curious about their side of the story.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Although I have not drank in nearly 11 years

There's something to be said about plain Jack Daniels in a glass at room temp. I used to really like Jameson but it has so much sugar that I don't think I could drink-drink it, I'd just drink the bottle one shot at a time :v:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

someone in a group chat posted that tweet and said 'wow 100/hr is a lot'. lol. lmao.

chiming in to say that contact center dudes could get 5x (or more) if a 100+ agent center was borked.

Even outsourcing this directly to contractors is dumb AF. :lol::lmao: that they would do this directly through loving job boards/twitter. There's no loving way a bunch of disparate linux nerds are going to slap together anything meaningful in a weeks time. I'm guessing the bigger IT contracting firms :lol::lmao: at the specs/timeframe, but in this scenario you bite the bullet and find someone whose willing to take a blank check.

very tangential :lol::lmao: - my former work helped a very large beverage company design+deploy a state-of-the-art (for 2016) on-prem collab enviromment - redundant CUCM, redundant bridging integrated with SfB, local meeting numbers, OBTP for room scheduling, basically the entire Cisco + collab portfolio deployed with every option. The customer was surprised how well it worked and how much their end users consumed it, and ended up nearly doubling the environment in 3 years. In 2018ish, in comes a new CTO who decides that everything on-prem isn't worth supporting, and they're moving everything to the Webex cloud. Even the Cisco sales reps were like "um, maybe you should think about this". CTO is adamant that even discussing equipment staying on prem could be a terminable offense. We're just the reseller, we kept telling everyone who could listen that they should, at least, maintain the on-prem equipment for a while because it was all sunk cost and Webex just wasn't that good yet. CTO gets inches away from firing us as a reseller because of our suggestion. We say OK cool, whatever you want Mr Customer, and we decomm the environment. :lol::lmao: this happened maybe two weeks later. Their whole environment was down for six+ weeks, with intermittent reliability for another six. All of their endusers reverted back to their very-expensive audio bridge, collaboration consumption had completely collapsed, nobody used any of the conference rooms they had spent 100k+ building (each), and ultimately the CTO got fired.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Bluejeans was the first :airquote: cloud :airquote: video bridging service. Before that, all bridging was done on specific individual MCUs. Bluejeans was pretty good for what it was, I had customers using back in 2011, but they're not competing against RMX 2000s / MSE 8000s anymore.

Also MS Teams sucks poo poo as a PBX, just like SfB/Lync/OCS before it. At a certain level it seems like MS simply doesn't care about basic PBX stuff like line monitoring, common area phones, etc.

The elephant in the room w/r/t telephony is that :ssh: nobody needs or wants a phone on their desk :ssh:. The Norwegian HQ of the collab company I used to work for didnt have a PBX in any of its European offices, everyone used their company-issued cell phone. (:ssh: also a better/cleaner solution for PSAP e911 stuff :ssh:) Put another way, when everyone was sent home for COVID in 2020, how many brought their handsets with them?

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 25, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Reoxygenation posted:

that is how i set up our entire phone system. you get a bunch of department options but it just says : email us at x email.

also we still have a physical land line that i merely did a redirect to our VOIP number because we didn't want to change our actual number to gently caress our customers up (and also because i could NOT be hosed to learn to set up a redirect any other way)

looking forward to the day someone unplugs the one phone the redirect is on

e: thinking about it i did not test to see what would happen when i set it up. interesting

You can do an LNP port to your VOIP provider and not pay double rates/forwarding charges

also re: phone chat - with Kari's Law and the Ray Baum act, a bunch of offices are trying to retrofit E911/PSAP stuff to ancient phone systems. Meanwhile, everyone has a cell phone that does it much better and faster than most on-prem products. Why even have a PBX, spend the money on cell micro sites.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Additionally, recruiters looked your connects and if it's a bunch of randos with no real relationships they'll move onto the next candidate.

:hmmno: Recruiters are morons; they're not looking at your linkedin profile to see if you have the :airquote: right :airquote: friends. They wouldnt know what to look for.

Without writing a novel - recruiters are the dumbest evolution of sales people. They are selling other people as a product. If they knew anything about people, or products, or sales, they would do something else. The :airquote: questions :airquote: they ask you about experience and technical skills and :words: are the same as Clever Hans counting to six - its mouth-noises they've been trained to make & expect certain mouth-noises in response. They will rarely slip kayfabe, but if you get the right one they'll be completely candid and admit they don't know loving poo poo about any of this & they're certainly not googling 'REST API development' to figure it out.

And without writing another novel - Linkedin has devolved considerably but having a presence there is still important. Use a corporate headshot as a profile pic, make sure you list all of your roles and titles as far back as you can, otherwise don't touch it.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

Rip jamboards, we hardly knew ye.

:lol::lol::lol: I sat in a meeting with the main Jamboard dudes while they presented to Spotify and

a - they didnt understand corporate video at all
b - holy poo poo were they pretentious assholes

I am zero percent surprised they axed the jamboard, and am kinda surprised that G suite is still such a closed off environment. Only the Bay Area is cool with using PCs for video conferencing.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

If you pay money to Google for something your business relies on then you are a sucker. Their product development process frequently involves straight up forgetting that stuff exists for years at a time, and the support is genuinely awful.

:same: but also :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

A major, major, major household name migrated from Lotus Notes to Gsuite in TYOOL 2019

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Organic Lube User posted:

Suddenly got a flashback to working at IBM shortly after 2000 and they were still using a token ring network in their offices.

i interned at hewlett-packard in high school (the oscilloscope and instrument division, a few years before :mad: Carly :mad: shuttered the local plants and shipped everything to China) and they were 10baseT on token ring, but were upgrading to Novell 3.x

:lol: my first CCNA exam was like 50% token ring and hub-vs-switch bullshit

Justin Credible posted:

Run into the stuff where for a job application you have to sit in front of your webcam and pitch yourself/answer questions and then send that video off into the black box void that is job applications?

I never have and wouldn't do those. Dystopian rear end poo poo

:same: I had a good screening call for an interesting tech support position and they wanted me to do that and I noped right out entirely. I don't want to work for a company that hires people from their tight 5 pitch

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hotel Kpro posted:

Wait really? Do I have you to thank for putting Tetris on the 54602B oscilloscope or Asteroids on the 54621A? poo poo was great when we got bored on night shifts

:hmmyes: I was a high school intern, but I interned for the people who did that. IIRC the 54602B was the new model when I was there.

:lol: interning for two summers at HP was like a sampling of a master's degree in electrical engineering. I learned micro soldering, component assembly, networking obviously, did a big inventory lookup project on an AS/400, :ssh: I downloaded Nesticle and every frikken rom I could find with the blistering fast 1.544mb per second :ssh:) a tiny bit of on-board software coding, how to go into a cleanroom, etc.

It was a bummer when I went through my 2nd internship and they wouldn't hire me (for the position I wanted) :sad: but they closed that branch less than two years later.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cyks posted:

Working on the weekend because the CEO wanted to reduce WFH as much as possible while we move our main office.

Also gently caress off Microsoft. Our room schedulers were on free licenses but now they have to be on shared device licenses?
It’s only $8/mo each but still.

:lol: MS Teams is going to nickel and dime everyone with any sort of on-prem video equipment

jaegerx posted:

Which one of you is this?

Beer in the sink, I'm assuming you can smoke with the window open, thats a p. decent setup

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cyks posted:

It just so happens that the 90-day grace period for existing rooms ends today.

So, if you are using Teams Rooms Basic licenses, be prepared for them to stop working tomorrow. The only option for team's video equipment now is the $45/mo Teams Room Pro license. We decided to go with Barco Clickshares instead of Logitech Taps against my preference, but it did save us $5,400 a year.

Barco clickshares are legit AF, why did you prefer the Logitech?

CitizenKain posted:

I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to start telling people to use Webex instead of loving around trying to get Teams to consistently work on video units.

at 45 bux a month for a Teams Room license, you may as well use Webex and figure out interop. Pexip and Synergy Sky both do really good interop, and maybe you dont get all the advanced content features, but IME maybe one user in the entire org uses that stuff

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

I used to work for an ANCSA created corporation and one of the tenants is to be a steward of the land and the culture of the indigenous people of the region. They did things with 50 and 100 year plans.

There was a whole department dedicated to preserving cultural artifacts, a related non-profit that ran a cultural summer camp, whole apprenticeship and internship programs. It was cool.

Shame about the government contracting though.

I did a (very brief) assignment with an Alaskan native corporation. Even went out to an Eskimo village for two weeks and did a desktop deployment for the local hospital. It was really interesting - the locals dont like/dont have experience eating white people food, so they hired a bunch of nutritionists and dieticians and created a hospital meal program that served Native dishes. Also crashed their network trying to multicast Ghost to a bunch of desktops which I may have mentioned itt :doh:

EDIT

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2022/02/24/over-half-alaska-native-medical-centers-menu-includes-alaska-native-ingredients/

There's an article that mentions it obliquely, there was an article that referenced Kanakanak's hospital specifically but its been at least fifteen years since this particular adventure

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 2, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

tag yourself, i'm emotions and packet storms

I'm SIP, the Enlightenment

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

Not like cisco gives a gently caress.

:lol: an ex-Cisco employee got 24 months in prison for deleting a bunch of critical Webex VMs

Webex was down-down for like six weeks. Nobody had an answer on when it would be back up. Shitloads of customers dead in the water and Cisco effectively said :shrug:

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Man, gently caress ring central

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

white collar crimes only exist as a way to punish people for embarrassing the rich

tokin opposition posted:

:hai:

I don't think causing a server outage should result in jailtime, especially when you still having access is already a massive fuckup. Now owning Cisco on the other hand...

:haibrower: Cisco was big-mad they were embarrassed and used their infinite money to punish a regular person. That guy unquestionably did a Bad, but (iirc) it took him a single login and like 20 minutes to delete all the VMs. Why in the gently caress couldn't Cisco restore in those six weeks? Cisco loving up and not being able to fix their own poo poo for six weeks, costing them and customers tons of money, somehow translating into that guy being in jail for 2 years doesn't add up.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

tango alpha delta posted:

I’m retired now, but one of my favourite parts about working in information technology was when some go getter climb the ladder middle manager would ask me why they need IT people because “everything is working just fine right now”. Yeah dipshit because we keep the loving lights on.

Goddamn

:same: I had a boss/owner who used to constantly threaten my position whenever something crashed. I always said "I could walk out the door and let you fix this mess" and he shut right up (the back-and-forth was more joking then contentious)

thankfully most of the places I've worked in the last decade have seen IT as a necessary evil, as compared to the early years where CFOs thought it was like burning piles of cash for warmth. Some of those places even saw the potential in IT, and now we get Digital Modernization flacks telling olds they don't an AS/400 anymore

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cyks posted:

I finally convinced the powers to be to let me pilot a teams calling plan license after a ticket came in forcing our hand.

In less than 5 minutes I was making and receiving phone calls at almost half the price of our current system. I have yet to dive into any settings but I’m annoyed at how long it took to get to this point.
You’re gonna loving hate yourself if you go through with this. I can absolutely promise there’s some hosed up IVR / auto attendant / hunt group that’s buried in some crazy dept you never talk to, and replicating the functionality in teams voice will be impossible. That’s not getting into the :airquote: solutions :airquote: for stuff like common phones, emergency services, etc.

Aldo I’ve returned to the working world, and oooof I haven’t spent 60 hours in the data center in a loooong time. Pays good, jobs good, but I’m like 99.9999% this is my last keyboard rodeo. If I ever have to plug a console cable into a 6509 switch again in my life it’ll be too soon.

EDIT

Before goons get pedantic on teams voice e911 support, make sure that the default solution supports psap info for remote workers. Iirc teams native e911 for remote workers isn’t legally compliant with Keri’s law and the ray baum act

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 14, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Rexxed posted:

I'm fine with getting rid of IE but it's also kind of funny that MS worked really hard since the 90s to make it the main browser everything had to be compatible with, even though it was out of spec for a lot of standards, and then just decided it was too hard to make it secure and gave up and dumped the whole thing. New hardware and software products from 5 years ago shipped with IE only access and those are gonna be around for at least another 5 years. They will pay me to keep getting this stuff accessed as well, even if it's a bad idea.

One thing I noticed was that for a while one of the banks using IE for one of their sites had been suggesting a plugin for Chrome called IEtab last year. This year they're recommending the IE mode tab for Edge because IEtab for Chrome is third party and now wants $19 for a license. I suppose if MS drops IE support from Edge at some point this will be the way to continue to use older sites. It's annoying but one client still just keeps a Windows 7 PC going to access IE stuff on their LAN. I guess if the computer dies they can start going through my pile of Core 2s and 2nd-4th gen hardware.

I remember the sad day I told a client that his HP LJ 4 with JetDirect card was probably not worth keeping and maintaining because I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get the java applet working to configure the JetDirect card. That thing was a tank.

:lol::lol::lol:

I spent the last week figuring out to get flash & Java working so I could upgrade some Cisco UCS servers. Killing IE support will make like 90% of embedded firmware inaccessible

MJP posted:

Nobody should ever be a candidate for Insight Global roles. I have been screwed over by them numerous times. Hilariously, at one point I applied for a job through them, heard nothing, asked for an update or two within reasonable timeframes, heard nothing from Insight Global, saw the job a few months later on the client's own careers page, applied for it directly, and got an interview. I gave them full disclosure, that I might have already been submitted by Insight Global. The hiring manager had never heard anything from IG about me.

I ended up getting that job.

This is after being sent for an interview for a role that was put forth as FT permanent but was actually a contract with no certainty of hiring.

And other horror stories.

If they're out to staff the same "quality candidates" that all the other contract agencies provide to Azure support, I'm freaking worried.

I’m currently on contract with IG, although I will add that my complete & utter indifference to getting the job (and keeping it) probably carried me a long way

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
:lol::lmao: at that hundred page rant about the OSI model. I work in voice/videoconferencing, and I use session layer network protocols (RTP, RTCP) presentation layer (MPEG, G72x) and application layer networking protocols (SIP, H.323) literally every day.

If you can figure out a way for an endpoint to call another endpoint by effectively punching in an email address, without any sort of common registry, managed circuits, or PSTN inbetween, PM me because we can literally build a better mousetrap.

EDIT

for the greybeards - i had an office job right out of high school where I made copies. I ended up talking to the IT guy on site and got to shadow / help him roll out Novel Netware on a bunch of Windows 3.11 boxes

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

i learned to program on a broken vic-20, i just read the manual and wrote out programs longhand with no way to test them since I didn't know the difference between RF and composite output

:hfive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCIes_tpWQo

thats what got me started in :airquote: computers :airquote: 40ish years ago. I rocked the hell out of a VIC-20 (or maybe VIC 20 i'm not clear on the difference) for years, until my grandfather handed down his C64. Then my parents got a Packard Bell 486/25 and it was off to the races.