Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Dark Helmut posted:

I don't want to bore you all with recruiter talk, but I do think it's important for you all to tell the difference between good recruiters and the mercenaries out there.

I'd love for you to bore us with recruiter talk. Do you have any advice on how to seek out a good recruiter? The last time I was in the job market I only ever came into contact with recruiters when they called me first. I received frequent contact from people who were quite obviously only looking to load my resume into their shotgun (a lot seemed to work for the same handful of companies as well..). The only one that I ever thought was actually interested in working with me to find a good fit didn't contact me until after I had already accepted the offer on my current job. I never bothered to save their contact info, but the next time I'm looking for work I'd like to be more proactive in finding a recruiter or two right off the bat as opposed to waiting until they find me. What are the best ways to get in touch with recruiters and what are the good and bad signs to look for? I've only ever worked full time and don't see myself interested in a contract position if that changes your answer.

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yes this is accurate. The position is also a Systems Architect position and is right in the range in looking for.

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but weren't you asking about getting into IT only about a year ago and now you're in an architect role? Are you literally IT jesus or is architect not nearly the title is sounds like it is?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Yeah I'm sick as hell of the humblebrag-at-best bullshit that this thread turns into every time we start talking about money

It would bother me except that every salary post feels like one step closer to the next Corvette Fisher style meltdown.

:munch:

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

the spyder posted:

These are amazing and everyone should carry one in their kit/bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB3-25/dp/B005C983NA

Seconding this. I've borrowed this from a guy in my office a million times for laptop hard drive swaps. It really doesn't get any easier than this.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Docjowles posted:

I too got tired of the "everyone has a personal Keepass file, each subtly different" method of managing credentials. Fellow goon madsushi recommended Secret Server to me and it's been pretty awesome. It's a bit heavy weight and "enterprisey" but I haven't come across anything better. If you don't need the more advanced features, the Express edition is a ridiculous value at $10. They also periodically have an insane promotion on it that massively increases the limit on total number of saved passwords and concurrent users, and it looks like that's active again right now.

The msp I work for uses Secret Server. I don't manage it, but from a user perspective it works perfectly well. Seems to be decently customizable too if you're into that.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

psydude posted:

Last minute assignment to spend a week halfway across the country. My boss was super apologetic, but gently caress it, I enjoy traveling.

Y'all need to get in on this consulting racket. You get paid money to point out everything that's hosed up with an organization, but you don't have to stick around to actually fix it.

Are you (and anyone else in the consulting business) able to talk a little more about that side of the industry? I'm only about 4 or 5 years into my IT career, the balance of my work slowly shifting from more break-fix to implementation, but consulting seems like a much more appealing end-game than project management (or any other type of tech related management for that matter). Are consulting companies common, or are independent/self employed consultants more the rule? Are there any career decisions you would have made earlier to put yourself in a better position for consulting work?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

I believe the outlook app doesn't wipe your device, just the company email, contacts and calendar.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Oh boy! Monitor and desk chat! I didn't think this thread would ever get so tedious as the days of a good corvette fisher breakdown, but you guys did it! Off to a great 2016!

On a more technical note, the objectives for the exchange mcse look like a bitch, but the study material I've been going through hasn't been bad at all. Anyone here take these tests and what did you think of the difficulty?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Daylen Drazzi posted:

We're having trouble finding qualified candidates here in Dayton, OH.

I was looking for essentially this exact job when I was finishing up at Wright state. Hell, I probably even applied for it then but who knows where resumes wind up on that piece of poo poo website they post base jobs to. Tech market in cincy is where it's at if you get bored with reading news sites, though. Moving down here (or at least out of Dayton) has probably been the single best career move I've ever made.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The more I consider it, the more I'm not worried about it at all. But, as a lark I might casually approach the boss man and ask him what he thinks.

"Hey boss man, do you think I'm qualified to fill the SysEng position? Do you think It would be a good fit for me?"

If I was in that position I wouldn't even ask. I would formally apply for it and then maybe mention to him that I've applied. Every place I've ever worked will at least interview internal candidates even if they have no intention of hiring them. This gives you the opportunity to show them how motivated you are to advance your knowledge and career before they can say no. If you ask now and he days you're not a good fit, I'm willing to bet you won't bother applying which means missing the opportunity to demonstrate that motivation. To echo what others have said, you really do have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

I actually like A10 products. :colbert:

Every other load balancer can straight up :fuckoff: tho.

A former coworker of mine would rave about Kemp load balancers, but I don't really spend any time working with them as part of my job. The people they had working their booth at ms ignite last year seemed nice enough though :shrug:

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Docjowles posted:

ur mom is a groat

Greatest Ride of All Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I am still very much in MSP hell. I get the privilege of tracking every minute of time I am in the office.

Recently started an msp gig where they only care about logging time that can be billed to a customer account. It's pretty awesome submitting a time sheet with numbers all over the place and seeing round numbers on my pay stubs. #notallmsps

It's still an msp so I'm sure the honeymoon will end eventually, but at a 40% raise over what I made at my last (also msp) job, it's pretty hard to work up much angst so far :yotj:

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 2, 2017