Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

whaam posted:

Do most of you guys have a plan to move into management or project management as you get closer to 40? You don't see many systems engineers, administrators, etc in the 40-55 age range. Is that just due to our industry being so new, or is the usual path into management the only way to avoid being aged out of the industry?

I'm in a senior technical position right now (systems engineer) but often think that I need a plan to move up even though I'm perfectly happy at the moment. My city is too small to have any real opportunities to specialize in one area and I'm too firmly planted with family to move to a bigger city. I keep an eye on the job listings and I rarely see senior technical positions come up and when they do they seem to match my current duties pretty closely.

What is the long term path for someone like me? (Early 30s) I've already moved away from day to day administration to strictly design and project work, but I'd hate to think I've peaked already... For the record though I do enjoy what I do now, and the money is great.

I'm the youngest(35) on my team of sys admins, there are 5 other guys that are 50+ and a woman who is probably around the same age. I want nothing to do with straight management. I look at my bosses calendar and he is in meetings literally 95% of the day, every day. I guess I wouldn't mind project management, but I still like working on the technical side of things and fixing poo poo. I can see myself moving into a team lead/senior role, but straight management? No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

4 door Jeep Wrangler that I've put probably waaay to much money into but it's fun as poo poo!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I'm not replaceable in my opinion (or my boss's opinion)

Lol, yes you are.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Welp, sounds like I'm undervaluing myself. I'm gonna have to figure out what to do today. Try to strongarm this place into another raise, go back to my first plan of lowering myself to 20/hr here and test the waters at the new place, or I could keep pushing the newer place for a better offer, or just say gently caress it and keep applying at more places? I mostly just don't have time to apply/interview because I'm swamped.

I work in Orlando in a very large healthcare company and our helpdesk idiots start at 45k. You are way way under valuing yourself.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Accretionist posted:

This is like how when I was a kid and only saw in Al Bundy his hate for his job, his wife, his kids and his life in general. Now I see a man who can support a family of four and a mortgage as a shoe salesman. As a boy, I was afraid I would end up like him. Now, I wonder if I even have what it takes :smith:

You'd probably be surprised at what a good shoe salesman can make. My brother works part time at a Dillards in the mens shoe department and and brings home $750-$1000 commission checks every 2 weeks, on top of his base salary. He just moved to full time and said he'll bring home another $1000/mnth just for going to full time. Of course my brother is the type of guy who can sell anything but wants an easy do nothing job so, shoes lol.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

https://isleaked.com/en.php seems to have a password that was never my password for my gmail account :confused:

The leaks are coming from multiple sites where you may have used your gmail address to sign up, not necessarily from gmail itself.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

All the recruiters in the orlando area seem to be smoking hot young woman. The last one who contacted me, on her LinkedIn profile her previous job was assistant manager at an Abercrombie store.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I worked for Xerox for about 6 months doing EMR software installs and it was a straight travel job where you were in a different city every week. Leave Sunday, start on site Monday and finish up Thursday and fly home Friday. Sucks if you want to, you know, have a life outside of work. Living out of a hotel gets old after a while and you tend to eat like poo poo all the time.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

psydude posted:

Healthcare IT: not even once.

It's not too bad, as long as you can get far enough away from the actual doctors/nurses/hospitals that you never have to deal with them. I work for the corporate part of our hospital system and my interaction with doctors/nurses is exactly 0.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TWBalls posted:

This seems like the most appropriate of the IT threads to ask this. It seems that the Radiology director is getting a bit overwhelmed with doing his normal day to day stuff as well as being the 'PACS Admin'. I feel like my current position is pretty much a dead end, so I'm quite interested in this possible upcoming position and he knows that I'm quite capable as a PC/Server and sometimes network tech. However, I don't know much about PACS. So, I know there's more than a few other fellow healthcare IT folks here. Whats the best way to start learning PACS? More specifically, McKesson PACS (Recently upgraded to v. 12).

I'm definitely going to be searching around on this when I get home, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

I was a PACS/RIS admin for a few years. Learn HL7/DICOM inside/outside and you'll be golden. The PACS software itself is pretty straight forward. Interfacing with the various scanners that send to the PACS is something you hopefully have external vendor support for because every single modality is different. Your PACS servers are basically just big file servers, I've used both RedHat and Windows servers and nothing to complicated about them. Mostly you'll be dealing with doctors telling you loading 1000's of images is to slow and to make it load faster and no matter what you do it will never load fast enough for them, ever.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We upgraded our fax manager software this morning to a newer version that supposed to fix other issues, it looks like it may have fixed those issues! But, now all our faxes are coming out with a watermark across them from this company http://www.glyphandcog.com/. It appears that the software vendor has decided to cut some corners and have included a trail version of a PDF creator in their enterprise software! We sends thousands of faxes a day and have probably had thousands of faxes go out to doctor's offices/pharmacies/hospitals/etc with this watermark on them. Ooops! This software vendor is one of the larger providers of EMR software around too!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

CloFan posted:

:lol: That's pretty bad, was this a one time cost or ongoing service? You should get a refund either way though, talk about bushleague

It's an ongoing support contract, we had to roll back to the previous version yesterday morning. I have no idea what, if anything is going to come of this, probably nothing though, just another vendor gently caress up.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Well, word just came down that in August our contract is coming to an end and our responsibilities moving to Peterson AFB and Langley AFB. During this entire time the leadership has been stating that it was an unrealistic expectation that the AF could easily be rid of us because of how the email infrastructure is set up for the AF. Guess the military disagrees. It will, however, be interesting to see how the military manages to cobble up a complete Exchange staff and bring them up to speed in the month or two they'll have between us shutting down and the new locations coming online.

I kept telling my shift lead and co-workers that the military operates in mysterious ways, and to not think that if they have our program in their sights for the chopping block, that niggling little things like keeping the Exchange environment online and emails flowing would keep them from bringing down the ax. I kept saying that if we made it past August that I would be pleasantly surprised. Well, no surprise now.

Updated the resume and started applying for jobs down in Florida. Hopefully I can finally realize my goal of leaving Ohio for the warm southeast.

Whereabouts in Florida? If the Orlando area I can recommend some places, hell I'd recommend the place I work at right away. Bosses that actually care about a work/life balance, normal 40 hour work weeks, no after hour/weekend/days off calls unless you're on call, good benefits/vacation days and excellent pay.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

One of my first IT jobs was doing DSL installs for Verizon and I got a company truck, in that, when I got to work every morning I got in the company work truck and used that all day and then went home in my regular car. I was making I think $12/hr. Also, we were outsourced by Verizon to do the installs and the name of our company was Outsource, Inc.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 15, 2015

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Full contribution to 401k crew what what.

I'm gong to use the word "hurt" here even though it's not the right word. You know it's not the right word but I can't think of a better one, but you understand the spirit of what I'm trying to say.

Does anyone else feel like marriage and family hurts your career more in IT than in other professions? Three, four times a week I see people staying at the office late, working on this and that. And each time I'm like, welp I guess I won't be getting that experience.

Stupid freakin family always hurting my career and poo poo. But yeah no, you know what I mean. IT more than any job short of like "character on The West Wing" seems like a job which is given to after hours projects. Staying late with a last minute idea to re architect your environment, write some Powershell, P2V some servers, etc.

This sounds like something CF or whatever the gently caress that morons name was would say.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

When I was doing RIS/PACS support we had a client call up on a Friday around 4pm saying his system was down and docs can't read images.

Come to find out he had decided a Friday afternoon was the perfect time to install windows updates on his servers. I walked over to my boss to let her know what was going on and forgot that I hadn't muted my headset and said something along the lines of, what kind of idiot system admin installs untested windows patches on a Friday afternoon?! My boss had to calm the guy down and I got a talking to on Monday for that. But really, who installs lathes on a Friday afternoon?!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

So say if I work at a company for 10 years, I could be terminated for no reason at any time with no notice and no severance?!

Yes

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need to move to Florida ASAP. Does anyone know of anywhere with lots of opportunities right now or good recruiters? Preferably somewhere I won't be murdered in my sleep, most of Florida I've looked at seems to have crime rates that explain the Florida Man twitter.

Where in florida? I'm in central florida and I know my company is looking to hire upwards of 100 people in the next 6 months. We're a healthcare IT provider.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

As someone currently getting snowed on in New York State, this post looks way more enticing than it should be.

http://ahs.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/search/115674

Knock yourself out! We currently have 32 open positions at our headquarters here in Altamonte Springs with a few openings at our various hospitals. There is currently talk of building another 6 story building on our campus for the growth we're expecting in the next year or so.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm up for central. Are we talking Ocala, Gainesville area? Send me a PM or an email to EargesplittenSA@yahoo.com

I appreciate all the leads you guys have given me in less than 18 hours.

Orlando area. Emailed!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

East Bay San Fran.

Oh boy.

Can't you make 30k in San Fran working at mcdonalds?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hell we start our helpdesk people who just answer the phone and enter tickets all day between 35-40k in Orlando.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I wear a tie to work every day. It's about as fun as it sounds. But, the job pays well and I otherwise like working there. So a tie it is.

Same here, at least we get business casual fridays so we can wear polos and slack. Also one work from home day a week so it's really only wearing a tie 3 days a week.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We haven't had a :yotj: post in a while, so

:yotj: for me!

Interviewed last friday got the offer call last night.

Moving into a senior level position with a decent pay increase and my commute goes from 45+ minutes in rush hour traffic to 5 minutes through city traffic, also jeans/polo and no more slacks/tie! Going from working for our corporate offices to at an actual hospital facility(I've been in health care for 10+ years now, doctors and their holier than thou attitude don't bother me anymore). I'll get to be more hands on with hardware, lead more projects and be the go to for lower level techs. There was no advancement opportunities for me on our current team and we've recently had a change in management that has soured me on working for this team so this position came at exactly the right time for me. Now to break the news to my current boss today.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RyuHimora posted:

Junior Network Administrator. But the duties I'm performing are anything but 'junior'.

I really hope you live in bum gently caress no where because 30k for that job is crazy. We start our help desk idiots who only answer phones and enter tickets at almost 40k.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RyuHimora posted:

San Diego, California. :(

Get the gently caress outta here? Seriously?!

You need to leave, like right the gently caress now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RyuHimora posted:

Not really. My situation is such that I don't pay rent or utilities, and I'm still living paycheck to paycheck. It's a struggle to put away the $200 a month I am.

The problem with quitting is that this is a huge step up in pay from my previous job (on-demand Amazon driver). But at the same time, working like this has made me realize administrating computers sucks and is probably not what I want to continue doing. Did I mention I'm also responsible for Tier 1 and 2 helpdesk duties? Nobody in the "network administrators" is specialized or in charge of anything. I'm supposed to cover phones, tickets, and my professional development all at the same time. There's zero structure.

I guess I should start getting ready to leave :/ I was not prepared for this onslaught of responsibilities.

Please please please tell us what company this is.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

He also wears sandals with socks, wtf

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Why are these people getting money from people to do this.

This question came up many times in my head while watching his few videos.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thank god we outsource our printer source to this company called Print Administrate. Here at my hospital we have more printers than I care to mention(100+ at least a mix of HP and Xerox) and I don't have to do anything to any of them as far as support goes. Tickets for them don't even come into us, the users call print administrate directly and they come out. They are here practically everyday and have shelves and storage in our IT department with all their toners and spare printers and poo poo.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

I work in government IT. The job is great, the commute is great, the pay is a huge step up from what I was making at IBM (despite working fewer hours), and the benefits are off the hook. I would have to take a tremendous raise to move somewhere else.

Same here.

It's healthcare IT, even worse it's healthcare IT at an actual hospital! The pay is great, I have some room for advancement ad my commute is 5 minutes. I've been here almost a year, 2 guys on my team have been here 10+ years. It would take a tremendous pay increase and 100% remote work to make me want to leave. Taking a job that would pay more would require me to deal with I4 traffic headed towards Orlando on a daily basis and give me almost a 2 hour round trip commute, I did that for 5 years, I will not do that again.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Texas is the land of hospitals.

We are mainly based out of Florida and even we have 4 hospitals in Texas and I think we are trying to add/buy into more.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hi, I'm in central florida and this one definitely qualifies as a big loving deal.

Miami is expected to get hit by at least a CAT4 if not a CAT5 hurricane. That is VERY BAD. After Miami it's looking like it might wander right up the middle of Florida all the way into Georgia. Even here in Central Florida it's looking like it will still be at least a CAT3 hurricane if not worse.

So yes, this one as of right now is a big loving deal.

This is how big this loving storm is right now

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I am admittedly ignorant to the severity of hurricane preparations and the consequences of them hitting land. Like, I have an idea what happens, but I've never actually seen or had to live through it. I'm much more used to tornadoes and the entire province being on fire.

Irma is the equivalent of an EF4 tornado at the moment.

So a tornado usually moves pretty fast right, now imagine that EF4 tornado sitting over you for hours

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Some sectors/enterprises still can't put everything in the cloud, and hundreds of PB means a lot of on-site storage and a need for an admin.

Healthcare for instance. We have a lot, lot of storage onsite and at our hospitals.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Sorry to be a pest again, but I was just on the phone with this help desk place that wants to do a second interview, and when I brought up that I'd prefer to do a skype interview he offered to pay for my travel expenses.

Uh, is this normal in this industry? In the field I'm used to, that's virtually unheard of except for major leadership positions. This seems to just be an entry level first-line help desk position, albeit one paying $37k/year.

Why are you fighting this lol.

They want to do a skype interview that's cool, they want to fly you out there to interview you? They really want you and are probably having trouble finding qualified candidates local. Just go with it man unless you really don't want this job.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

skooma512 posted:

You work in healthcare, this is implied.

Every broken mouse is an emergency affecting patient care.

We used to have people enter P2 tickets that page out the on call person for broken mice, on weekends, when there are literally dozens of other computers they could use. We had to have our IT director sit down with the nursing director to tell them it is not worth sending a tech to the hospital at $75/hr(our after hours/on call pay rate, we are hourly techs, yay real overtime in IT!) to fix a broken mouse and if they continued to do it he’d start charging the department that money.

They stopped doing that shortly after lol.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We require an A+ for our L1 help desk at my company. Of course our L1 help desk just answers the phones and enters tickets, maybe resets a password using customized tools that only allow them to do such things. They don't do any troubleshooting at all.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of A+, I got mine, jesus 19 years ago now, lots of DOS questions pertaining to IRQ/COM ports and useless poo poo like that on it.

Christ I've been doing this poo poo for a long rear end time. I also got my MSCE around the same time when it was still about NT4 lol

I think having those 2 certs helped land my first long term IT gig, I was with that company for 9 years. Before that I did DSL installs for verizon and CAD design for a wiring company for a year(the only reason I got the CAD job was because I listed it on my resume as a class I took in high school lol, also, I was fresh outta high school when I got that job).

I'm old :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

One of the techs here who has been here forever and is like 5 years from retirement just clicked on a phishing email our security team sent out. They warned us like weeks ago they were going to be doing this. All emails sent in from external sources have this across the top of them.

** WARNING: This email originated outside of COMPANYNAME. ** DO NOT CLICK links or attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

If you hovered over the link he clicked on in the email the website address was clearly not a real website....he clicked it anyways

:bang: